Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball

alt

Olympics-Nigeria snatch final London basketball berth

(Reuters) - Nigeria will make their Olympic basketball debut in London after beating the Dominican Republic 88-73 in the decisive qualifier on Sunday.

alt

Having arrived in Venezuela as complete underdogs in the 12-team tournament offering three London berths, Nigeria completed their memorable campaign with a resounding victory over the Dominicans - another surprise package.

Apart from the west African nation, who stunned former European champions Greece to reach the last four, Russia and Lithuania have also booked their London berths from this qualifier on Saturday.

The trio will join United States, Argentina, Spain, France, Tunisia, Brazil, Australia and China who had qualified earlier alongside hosts Great Britain.

Nigeria forward Ike Diogu capped an outstanding individual tournament with 25 points and 10 rebounds, confining his Dominican counterpart Al Horford of NBA's Atlanta Hawks to just 12 points and shooting only five of 11 from the field.

alt

With the Dominicans cutting the deficit to just two points at the end of the third quarter, Diogu nailed 10 successive points in the closing stages to send his team mates and a small band of Nigerian supporters into raptures.

"If you are a big-time player you have to relish those moments and that's what I did, having decided to carry my team at crunch time," Diogu told the world basketball governing body's (FIBA) television in a courtside interview.

Forward Derrick Obasohan added: "We had the toughest schedule in the tournament but nothing was going to stop us tonight because we were on a mission.

1 2 3 4 5
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men
Godwin posted on 07-09-2012, 10:43:26 AM
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Auspicious posted on 07-09-2012, 10:55:17 AM

As despondent and cynical as one feels about Nigeria these days,

It is irresistible to feel heartened by the news of this qualification.

PS:
- I like the shade of green the team is wearing.
- Those guys look like ajebors from abroad.
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Lalakokofefe posted on 07-09-2012, 11:09:40 AM
I love their jersey!!

Very clean and neat!

Auspy, thats what I thought too... ajebos. But we'll take them all the same.

Imagine if they win the gold....

LKF
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
First-lady posted on 07-09-2012, 11:12:05 AM
Impressive!
looking like Boston Celtics

I was searching for a list of our young men making us proud

They are

The Aminu brothers Alfarooq and Alade Aminu
Ike Diogu
Derrick Obasohan
Olumide Ayedeji
Ade Dagunduro
Richard Oruche
Ekene Ibekwe
Chamberlin Oguchi
Koko Archibong
Ejike Ugboaja
Tony Skinn (which one is Skinn again)

Starters are

Center Ike Diogu
Power forward Alade Aminu
Small Forward Al-Farouq Aminu
Shooting Guard Chamberlain Oguchi
Point Guard Tony Skinn
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Big-K posted on 07-09-2012, 11:36:27 AM
One should be proud considering the quality of teams we beat - Lithuania, Greece, etc. They are mostly Nigerian- Americans, but we are proud

Versus Greece

Versus Russia

Dagundoru and Skinn

Aminu

Celebrations
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Auspicious posted on 07-09-2012, 11:45:25 AM

Hehe!

The guy at 1:08 don find local chica to folo dance.

I thank God for the life of the chic.
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Ajibs posted on 07-09-2012, 11:52:50 AM
Shebi most of us here are "Nigerian-something" Fill in the gap, British, American, German, Italian, Canadian...

So long as they are representing Nigeria and doing the country proud, we will take it.

Now I have something to even watch in the Olympics I was planning to not bother with.
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
First-lady posted on 07-09-2012, 11:57:15 AM
It was so heartwarming watching the dance
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Lalakokofefe posted on 07-09-2012, 11:58:55 AM
And talked like they were proud to be representing Nigeria! This is so so refreshing.

I hadn't planned on following the Olympic basketball event, especially because all we have been hearing lately is how talented the US team is.....but I surely will now.

I will be rooting for these boys all the way.

LKF
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
First-lady posted on 07-09-2012, 12:05:05 PM
Gosh
Al Farooq was born in 1990
I was in college in 1990
Chineke mee
I fit be im mama o
inshort i fit be all their mama
I have aged wallahi

*Fl Runs to a nearby mirror to look for wrinkles*
1 2 3 4 5