alt

Olympics-Nigeria snatch final London basketball berth

(Reuters) - Nigeria will make their Olympic basketball debut in London after beating the Dominican Republic 88-73 in the decisive qualifier on Sunday.

alt

Having arrived in Venezuela as complete underdogs in the 12-team tournament offering three London berths, Nigeria completed their memorable campaign with a resounding victory over the Dominicans - another surprise package.

Apart from the west African nation, who stunned former European champions Greece to reach the last four, Russia and Lithuania have also booked their London berths from this qualifier on Saturday.

The trio will join United States, Argentina, Spain, France, Tunisia, Brazil, Australia and China who had qualified earlier alongside hosts Great Britain.

Nigeria forward Ike Diogu capped an outstanding individual tournament with 25 points and 10 rebounds, confining his Dominican counterpart Al Horford of NBA's Atlanta Hawks to just 12 points and shooting only five of 11 from the field.

alt

With the Dominicans cutting the deficit to just two points at the end of the third quarter, Diogu nailed 10 successive points in the closing stages to send his team mates and a small band of Nigerian supporters into raptures.

"If you are a big-time player you have to relish those moments and that's what I did, having decided to carry my team at crunch time," Diogu told the world basketball governing body's (FIBA) television in a courtside interview.

Reactions

Join the conversation through disqus comments or via our forum. Click on any of the tabs below to select your desired option. Please engage decently.

• Disqus Comments
  • Facebook
  • Forum Discussion

1 2 3 4 5
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Ajibs posted on 07-09-2012, 18:52:51 PM
No talk about my boy like dat o ... he is PASSIONATELY NIGERIAN and has played for the Nigerian National team for years. I really wish he is part of this contingent - if only as a reward. His sister currently coaches the Female National team.

Indeed I Goggled the guy and it lists him as playing for the national team in the past. Was he injured or just did not make the cut this time around? How about other other Nigerian NBA that came out as being gay... Jude something or ??? I thought here were a couple of Nigerians playing in the NBA. I can't recall the last time I watched an NBA game sef.
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Shinycoin posted on 07-09-2012, 18:57:19 PM
wow!!

Proudly Nigerian!

As far as the Olympics are concerned, its the greatest sporting event on the planet (yes o, even bigger than the World Cup) and merely making it to the finals to compete is a life time honour on its own.

These boys make me proud and so happy to see them identify as Nigerians and hustle to bring home some laurels.

Even if them nor win medals, being there, wearing our colours and flying our flag and banner is plenty satisfaction to me.

Am rooting for them and others like them, all the way!

(With all the media hype about the NBA, i was thinking basketball was uniquely American, but we go see!!!)
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Unregistre posted on 07-09-2012, 19:20:29 PM
Can't believe Nigerians are already dreaming of beating the U.S. in basket ball and even winning gold in the olympics. Fellow villagers it is actually heart warming. At a time when both the male and female teams failed to make it to the olympics. These boys have given us something to cheer for. I say kudos to them all.
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Big-K posted on 07-09-2012, 20:05:49 PM

- The gay player was John Amaechi. He played for England.
- There was a time Andre Iguodala of 76ers was seriously pursued to play for Naija - but he was only Naija in name. his natural parents are fully American.

Now I wish there was American Football in the Olympics - that's where Naija can seriously contend for Gold
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Godwin posted on 07-09-2012, 22:46:51 PM
EVen when he was passably OK, he wanted to play for Great Britain. Olowokandi's story is a pitiful one.

Why pitiful?

Mfon Udoka is no longer D'Tigress Coach.

[url=http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/why-nbbf-sacked-me-udoka/]Why NBBF sacked me - Udoka[/url]
September 18, 2011

Decamped assistant coach of the Nigeria women's basketball team, Mfon Udoka has explained that she ran into problems with her head coach, Ayo Bakare, because of poor communication between them.

She told Sports Vanguard in Maputo that Coach Bakare who was with the men's team in Madagascar for the FIBA Afrique championship, Afrobasket 2011 returned to the women's team and took certain decisions that tended to undermine her position as his assistant. Udoka spoke with us at the Games Village in Maputo. Excerpts:

The 10th All Africa Games ends today. Can you share your experiences here with us?

Fine, I would say. It has been a wonderful experience for me. The men are playing the final today (yesterday). For the girls, they will be leaving from to Mali for the African championship.

Will you be ttravelling with the wonen's team?

No. My time with them is over. I am no longer the assistant coach of the team. The Nigeria Basketball Federation has eased me out of the job. The girls wanted me but the management said no.

What really happened?
The entire problem started after Ayo Bakare was appointed to handle the men's team. He left us without any instruction as to how we should go about the job. I believe as a head coach, he ought to have left specific instructions on what should be done in his absence. He left for Madagascar and we were left behind in the USA.

When he rejoined the team after the assignment in Madagascar, the coach overturned everything we had done. The first thing was to sack Patrick, the second assistant with whom we had handled the team in America. He said he heard that we were planning to take his job. He never cared to ask any questions.

The NBBF President on the hand did not fair any better. He listened to stories and took decisions without hearing from the other side. When I was engaged I thought I was coming to serve my fatherland. But at the end I have realised that I was told half thruth.

Any regrets?
Not at all. I know what I have done for women basketball in Nigeria.. I played for seven years (between 2000 and 2007) for the national team. Throughout that period and beyond my name became synonymous with the Nigerian basketball team. I have done my best for my country and I am proud of my modest achievements I had with the national team. I thought that was why they brought me in; to play the role of star figure that the girls could look up to, a role model of some sorts. If I knew things would end up this way I perhaps, would have trained hard to come back as a player. I would have played. I thought of my weight. I thought of all that before accepting to come in as an assistant coach.

Have you at any time, undergone any formal training as a coach?
No. But I have had some experiences as a coach in the college. I used to handle the college team and the experience from my active days as a player. This is the first time I have had the opportunity of handling a senior team.

With this experience, would you accept taking up a job again with the national team, should you be called upon in the future?

Well, you never say never, but this time, a lot of things have to be in place before I will accept the offer. We will both look at the conditions, my functions will be well defined and certain things done before I can consider such an offer in future.

But I believe if that will be done then this is the best time. This is the time that I am free. I have all the time to do anything. Right now I am still trying to settle down after my playing career. As a young lady I am thinking of settling down. I am thinking about raising my own family. This is the time I am free. You never can tell what will happen in the next one year.

But there is so much politics here in the appointment of coaches. They keep recycling the same faces every year. That is why we have remained static. In fact, it is worse now than it was a few years back.

Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Auspicious posted on 07-09-2012, 22:50:17 PM
..both the male and female teams failed to make it to the olympics..

ReallY?!?

Naija don worwor.

As with everything else,

I blame this on Jonathan as well. (Hey, gotta blame someone eh? :lol
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Justan234 posted on 07-10-2012, 02:48:20 AM
FL nor be moni oh, we kukuma find una sistas sotay, small time, we nor born again, another one be we nor face east to bow down, small time we be grammarian....nnem na only so much bs a guy can take, not a lot of adetoun adetonas around unfortunately....
Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
NVS posted on 07-10-2012, 04:44:53 AM
Olympics-Nigeria snatch final London basketball berth

user posted image

user posted image

Forward Derrick Obasohan added: "We had the toughest schedule in the tournament but nothing was going to stop us tonight because we were on a mission." (Writing by Zoran Milosavljevic in Belgrade; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Read full article
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Emj posted on 07-10-2012, 04:44:53 AM

alt

Olympics-Nigeria snatch final London basketball berth

alt

alt

..Read the full article
Re: Nigeria Qualifies For Olympics Men's Basketball
Bill Carson posted on 07-10-2012, 07:43:01 AM
Thank God no Scot Nnaji to kill dreams!
1 2 3 4 5