‘We’re still COVID-19 free’ -- Kogi rejects NCDC’s results/ Yahaya Bello, Governor of Kogi State

The Kogi State Government has rejected the recent announcement by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) that the state has finally recorded two cases of the coronavirus pandemic.

Before Wednesday’s announcement by the NCDC, Kogi and Cross-River were the only two Nigerian states yet to confirm any case of the killer virus.  

The NCDC, however, in its results released yesterday night claimed two people have tested positive for the virus in Kogi State.

But reacting in a statement, the State Commissioner for Health, Saka Haruna Audu, dismissed the NCDC’s results, insisting the state still remains COVID-19 free.

The statement read: “Kogi State till this very moment is Covid-19 free. We have developed full testing capacity and have conducted hundreds of tests so far which have come back negative.

“We have also continued to insist that we will not be a party to any fictitious COVID-19 claims which is why we do not recognise any COVID-19 test conducted by any Kogite outside the boundaries of the State except those initiated by us.

“Any attempt to force us to announce a case of COVID-19 will be vehemently rejected. We are more than prepared to secure the life of our people and have no interest in playing politics with their health concerns.”

On his part, the Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo, said the state was evaluating the situation and gathering the facts.

He said: “We cannot comment on the claims for now. We got to know like every other person. So we are evaluating the situation and gathering the facts.

“When we have all the facts and information, we will communicate our position adequately and appropriately. Public health is a thing of great interest to the administration. Our people should remain calm as we gather the facts.”