Click to watch video

A Hampton man is in jail charged with killing his wife.

John Anya Onwuka was arrested early Monday.

Gloria Uchechi-Anya Onwuka, 42, was stabbed to death and found inside her home on Estate Drive in the Farmington section around 10:00 a.m. Sunday.

Police reportedly went to the scene of the crime numerous times in the past few weeks.

Neighbors said their son had to be restrained after becoming hysterical.

Onwuka is charged with one count each of homicide and use of a knife in the commission of a felony.

A Hampton man is in jail charged with killing his wife.

John Anya Onwuka was arrested early Monday.

Neighbors said their son had to be restrained after becoming hysterical.

Reactions

Join the conversation through disqus comments or via our forum. Click on any of the tabs below to select your desired option. Please engage decently.

• Disqus Comments
  • Facebook
  • Forum Discussion

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Anike posted on 08-30-2006, 12:58:23 PM
Surprisingly only a few of you nailed the real problem as I see it.
1. Is a nurse (paid more than the husband) a factor?
2. Is the man's investment to bring her here ( dowry and other expenses) a factor?
3. Cultural expectation as an African, Italian, Bosnian certainly a factor
4. Sudden freedom to disrespect each other in the name of liberation accumulates
5. Women complain less when man takes extended family responsibilities. In a country where a women has the opportunity to do the same, a man may wrongly or rightly interprete it as ignoring duties at home.
6. Is it any surprise that those in home countries are just as conservative as those from old countries when it comes to women issues but TV portrays a liberal western world with no basis in fact or real world. The reason for more single black mothers.
7. Are foreign women misled and foreign men refuse to walk away because they invest more than men in host countries?
8. White men still kill more of their partners than Black men. Profile and statistics say so. Most murders are committed by white men including the murders of women. That is why black serial murderers are not suspected, as in Maryland shooting.

No matter how one tries to nail the real problem, it can not be justified.

Nothing makes it okay? No matter how we dice this issue, either from a traditionalist view ni o, feminist view ni o, modernist stand ni o, religious..... it is still wrong.
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Omaseo posted on 08-30-2006, 13:25:22 PM
Usually old countries are the old continents like Africa and Europe. Home countries here is the same as host countries like USA and Canada (and somtimes England) or so called developed countries. Sorry for the confusion.

The point here is not to justify any killing. We are just trying to put things into perspective.
In the new or home countries, women still carry most of the burden of the family as they do traditionally, as in the hunting and farming stages of our development.

Do you really believe there is anything called superwoman in reality? Conbining traditional role with modern role?
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Picasso posted on 08-30-2006, 13:38:03 PM
Onos:

I am glad that you say your intention was to cast \"her preachments in positive lights.\" I hope Folasayo appreciates that and won't be tempted to tell you: \"Thanks for nothing!\"

fredlintaz:

Why dont you stop doing a yeoman's job and allow Folasayo to hope, think and speak for herself?

Also, your reference to \"head from the sands\" is completely uncalled for! I guess civility is not one of your strong points.

Touchy touchy, eh? Go back to page 4 of this thread and reread your very first post. Then come back and tell me how "called for" and "civilized" your reference to "dogs of hate" was when describing those who are opposed to Folasayo's outlook - a category which you spuriously lumped me into.
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Picasso posted on 08-30-2006, 13:45:46 PM
My Dear Onos,

I'm quite aware of the fact that our views differ by the virtue of our (very) distinct characters.

So, far from expecting you to share my point of view with regards to this issue (or any other issue in fact), my question was directed at your argument style which to say the least (as exhibited by your outburst above) is unconstructive and Ad Hominem.

Regards,

villageHeadMaster

My Dear villageHeadMaster:

Yes, in your viewpoint, my argument style is unconstructive and ad hominem while yours, to me, is reeking with a stale smell of self-righteous hypocrisy.

Now that we've established that and cleared the air, can we move on our separate ways?

Regards,

Onos
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Pukpabi posted on 08-30-2006, 17:00:14 PM
Folks,

First, I must say it is indeed sad that Mrs. onwuka's life had to end the way it did. I pray the Lord her soul to keep. Secondly, murder is wrong both in the eyes of God, and in the eyes of man. Having said that, let me ask; "is there anything like justifiable homicide?" Yes, there is. It is called murder in self-defense. Does this particular issue fall into this category? No one in the "village" has any idea, but we have the effrontery to run our mouth. Talk they say, is cheap.

Let me ask again; "What is it that have driven this man to come to the point of 'momentary insanity' as to commit such a grave crime." We in the "village" have no clue, and yet we keep running our mouth. Again, this ananymous writing where great thinking is not required because we will not be called to account for what we say. I have always said this, and will continue to say it that no "child of emotion" is good looking. Rather, when emotions take the better of us, reason flees through the window. One thing is certain; this man did not just wake up one morning, and decided to murder his wife.

Freedom is a good thing, but it is a concept we have to embrace with caution. It is, like most good things not talked about in absolutes. After all, you do not the freedom to kill yourself. This is why I advocate reason as the basis to every action. Now, what I am driving at?

Some in this "village" have posited we have a Nigerian Church. I think I do understand where he is going to. But, is he saying that our culture is inferior to Church teachings? I am Catholic, and there is nothing in my Igbo culture concerning the relationship between man and wife that is contrary to Biblical teaching. So we need not look further to see how our relationships should be managed.

The worst mistake a man will make is to marry outside his class. Before you attack my position, let me make myself clear. By class, I do not mean wealth or other appurtenances of wealth. I mean social classes like family background, educational background, etc. Sometimes, love is not enough to marry anybody. Yes, we speak languages, but not all languages are verbal. People in different classes speak different body languages. If your parents are teachers, why would you marry the daughter of a petty trader? But you can marry the daughter of any educated family. Both families can reason together.

I do not the genesis of the problem in the Onwuka family, but I can bet my last dollar it has to do with money. My hunch: Poor family background(family with little or no education) + Nurse in America + Strong husband with two balls = potential disaster.

I rest my case.

Paschal Ukpabi, J.D.
Michigan, USA
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
VillageHeadMaster posted on 08-30-2006, 17:08:05 PM
My Dear villageHeadMaster:

Regards,

Onos

I see I have made me an eccentric friend...

So tell me, how are we going to "move on our separate ways"? Are you planning to leave the NVS any time soon? Thought as much...

See you around...
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Odinaka posted on 08-30-2006, 17:59:14 PM
There can never be any justification for this killing, no matter how much we x-ray it.

I hope the punishment for murder in the US is till death by lethal injection?
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Pukpabi posted on 08-30-2006, 18:46:53 PM
My dear Odinaka,

Do not let your emotions run wild. Not all homicides carry the death penalty. Infact, there is murder in the first degree which includes elements of premeditation, lying in wait, etc.; there is murder in the second degree which includes all forms of murder not in the first degree, like depraved heart murder; murder when defendant acts with intent to kill, intend to do great bodily harm, etc.

Now, there is voluntary manslaughter like when death occurs in the heat of passion (say when defendant catches someone doing some hanky-panky with his wife, and there is no cooling off period), and involuntary manslaughter like when death occurs due to some negligence on the part of the defendant like vehicular homicide. This is not to forget justifiable homicide, like when defendant acts in self-defense.

On the Onwuka case, I smell murder in the second degree, and in most jurisdictions, it is 25 years to life. If he gets a good lawyer, he gets 25 years.

Paschal Ukpabi, J.D.
Michigan, USA
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Dimka posted on 08-30-2006, 19:01:52 PM
As Chris Rock once said, if you haven't felt like killing your spouse at one time or the other, you don't love them enough.

This man loved his wife too much
Re: Nigerian man stabs wife to death
Auspicious posted on 08-30-2006, 20:41:02 PM
Eh, Dimka, me ah no wan dat kain love o. Dat one get K-leg. Na psycho love.

Auspicious.