PDA

View Full Version : African Market in DC/Maryland

tatafo
Mar 24, 2007, 06:43 PM
Okay this is not really a palava per se but I need advice. I have been spending more and more time in DC lately since my husband moved over to a new job. However I don't know where to find the African market around the DC/Maryland area and I'm tired of carrying food stuff from NYC to DC to cook. I'm also tired of eating chinese takeouts.:twisted: :mad: Also where are the african restaurants situated in these area?

Any advice on this score would be helpful, abeg help a sista out before hunger kill us.:icon_ques :exclaim:

TTF

DaBishop
Mar 24, 2007, 07:13 PM
There is the African/Caribean Store on Liberty Road in Baltimore.

Then there is Peju's Kitchen in Security Plaza also in Woodlawn Baltimore.

In the DC area, there is a whole strip mall owned by a Nigerian I forget the name now...
I will try to remember...

AfricanChiquito no.1
Mar 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
There's an African store on Harford road in Baltimore, its called "Global", there are also about 2 more on that road - EKO food store, and ..... i have forgotten the name of the other

DoubleWahala
Mar 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
PM Obugi. I think he owns two big Nigerian-foodstuff shops, in Maryland - in addition to being a short-order cook @ McDonalds. :D

Seriously though, it shouldn't be hard to find out. Happy hunting. :lol:

DW

tatafo
Mar 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
Bishop and AC No1, thank you oh. You dont know how helpful this information is.

DW continue to laugh at me oh. As for pming Obugi, me and him are fighting now so he wont help with any info on this score.

Anyone else that has more info should please let me know. Bishop if you remember the name of the strip mall you mentioned, I will really appreciate it.

WayoGuy
Mar 24, 2007, 11:56 PM
tatafo, just to help launder my image in the eyes of those who think WayoGuy only knows about wayo, make I take style add my own help here. But Sabella is the best person to contact on this matter. He knows all the food hangouts here in DC (no joke):

Oyingbo Market in Hyattsville, Maryland
at the corner of Riggs & Eastern Avenue

Afrik International Foods
5918 Riggs Road, Hyattsville
(301) 853-9144

All African Food Store
(202) 547-5300
1325 Fifth St Ne - Washington, DC 20002

African Foods Whsl
(202) 543-7371
505 Morse St Ne - Washington, DC 20002

Ghana Cafe
(202) 387-3845
2465 18th St Nw - Washington, DC 20009

There is one called Iroko
on Baltimore Boulevard in Beltsville, Maryland and
There is one big one in Landover, Maryland
owned by one of my friends, but I can't think of the name.

crimsonbabe
Mar 25, 2007, 12:20 AM
Eko Foods
Annapolis Rd, Lanham

Eko Foods
University Boulverd - Silver Spring

Afrik
Off Route-202 Landover Rd, Landover/Hyattsville area

Afrik
Riggs Road, 2 - 3 miles away from junction of Riggs and University Blvd, Silver Spring/ College Park area

D' Ranch Restaurant
Right next door to the Afrik on Route 202

Lagos Barber, next to D' Ranch Restaurant ( in the event that Mr A, needs a 9ja barber:D )

Hope this helps
CB

DaBishop
Mar 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
TTF:
Oh yes, my friend....
D' Ranch Restaurant
Right next door to the Afrik on Route 202

(Thanks to CB)
I understand he wons the mall with food, beer parlor, hair braiding etc ati babeelo...the only thingy not there is a church... I think he needs a speaking to...

I Love Nigeria
Mar 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
Dear All, Can we replicate this wonderful directory.... for New York, Houston and, and, and....

After reading all the above..... I have a comment to add and it is.....

www.nigeriavillagesquare.com the BEST Nigerian Community Resource on the World Wide Web of the Internet!

tatafo
Mar 25, 2007, 09:50 PM
Bishop thanks a lot for the Info... and I agree that maybe to complete the Nigerianess of the mall strip a mosque and church should be added to the strip. We can't be the most religious country on earth for nothing!

CB, Nne, I thot you lived else where. Please this 411 you have of DC is surprising oh, abi better dey for DC? Oya confess quick quick! Please what have you been up to in Bushy town?

Wayo, you finally convinced me that you are not all about Wayo. I now know that you are real for sure. :)

I agree oh ILN. The resources available on this site are simple amazing! Nigerians are everywhere and they localize the saying "wetin dey for sokoto, e dey for shokoto."

Anyway, thanks guys this was awesome

SNB
Mar 27, 2007, 11:54 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble, I wouldn't suggest eko or Oyingbo food store. I don't think these stores are clean enough. You can even find Naija foods at Americana (spanish) grocery on Route 202 towards bladensburg, there's also one on Adelphi road. Trust me spanish pple love naija food, imagine one just finish my asaro--yam porridge..if to say olopa no dey, I for sound the senora..but na america we dey.

For a quick visit, you can visit Food Way grocery on 450 annaplois road as well. They have all you need from farina to cray fish. It'll just cost a tad bit more. You even have the option of point and kill fresh fish (for day's you husband deserves the best for good behavior --a beg no mind me)
Afrik is ok, Iroko is a no no. You also have Yaba store on Route 410, so you've got more than enough choices to choose from. I personally don't visit Yaba.

A grocery store has to be in the best of shape before I spend my buck. No mouse traps, no roach nest....none of that.

Your best bet is the DC farmers market off New York Avenue. You'll find more than enough places to buy African food. May I suggest buying your meat and seafood from the middle eastern folks at the farmer's market. Hey they're cheaper and cleaner. You get total access to the cold room to make your selection.

You can also visit Obeng (Ghana) at the farmer's market. There is one is hyattsville as well.

For good deals on fruits and vegetables, try visiting Sam Wang produce at the farmer's market. If you go to an Africo store, you'll be charged more than double for red bell peppers.

The stores in Baltimore are pretty expensive as they come to DC to purchase and then resell. Best bet, make your shopping list and buy reasonably.

Ok, my two cents.

Oh did I mention that you fit get calling cards cheaper sef 4 all dem Africo food store. Na tru talk.

Beam
Mar 28, 2007, 02:13 PM
hello i used to live in dc and farmer's market is the best organic and fresh

tatafo
Mar 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
Una dooo for all this feed back. It is very helpful and I remain greatful to villagers all over!

MsWoman
Mar 28, 2007, 05:51 PM
Serious Naijababe, why did you say Iroko is a no-no? Please explain...

Hmmm Iroko is the joint where I cussed out one overzealous, rude, nonsensical, full-of-himself (jo ara e loju), Naija boy like this. I will never forget! I so enjoyed myself that day! I was so amused...:razz: I had a lasting smirk on my face that day till I went to bed.

Personally, if you ask me, if you've been to one Naija store, you've been to them all! I will go to any as long as they have what I need and if the prices are reasonable. As for cleanliness, as far as I'm concerned, for them to be in existence, they must have passed the various US health dept tests. What about Tejuosho market and many other markets in awa country where there is no regulation as far as filth and dirt are concerned. Not to say it's a good thing, but did we not buy food from these markets and eat the food? I beg!

Tatafo, as far as Farmer's market is concerned, only visit if you are buying in bulk or having a party. It tends to be quite overwhelming if you are not buying a whole lot! Now if you have a deep freezer, you can knock yourself out.

tatafo
Mar 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
Haba ok, me sef I'm confused! Please SNB and Ms Woman can both of you sort this conflict for me let me know where to go true true!!!

Anike
Mar 29, 2007, 01:30 AM
... I wouldn't suggest eko... food store. I don't think these store are clean enough.

Eko Store has undergone some changes so, you'll no longer see roaches playing 10-10 while you shop.

I think the neatest and most economical, but for Farmers Market which, as MsWoman has pointed out, might not be reasonable unless you are buying in bulk, in the DC metro area is the one on 450 (name unknown) owned by a Ghanaian couple, across the street from Safeway.

SNB
Mar 29, 2007, 03:06 AM
Eko Store has undergone some changes so, you'll no longer see roaches playing 10-10 while you shop.

I think the neatest and most economical, but for Farmers Market which, as MsWoman has pointed out, might not be reasonable unless you are buying in bulk, in the DC metro area is the one on 450 (name unknown) owned by a Ghanaian couple, across the street from Safeway.

Anike,
I buy reasonable amounts and i still get the the best prices at the farmers market. You don't have to buy a shipload. Trust me, I do this and its a bargain.

Ms Woman, I've been to Iroko several times and it just doesn't cut it for me and as for your .....they must have all passed US Health inspection of some sort, you'll be shocked at the things you don't know!!

SNB
Mar 29, 2007, 03:13 AM
Tatafo....there's also Red Apple farmer's market on New Hamsphire Rt 650 Right next to Citi Bank.....it isn't as overwhelming as the DC market.

May I suggest going to the DC farmers market on a week day other than a Saturday if you've got the time. If not, the lines would be from here to Kaduna.

MsWoman
Mar 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Serious Naijababe...my point exactly...what I don't know cannot harm or hurt me. Anyway, since you know, I don't blame you for keeping away from such stores then. I would have to have worn your shoes in order to arrive at such conclusions as you have abi! No yahwa! I guess do whatever works for you till you discover otherwise.

Tatafo, it depends on what part of the state you're in. I think the stores closest to the DC area are your best bet, 'cos I'm sure that's where you're located. One more thing, you may want to buy your produce from the numerous Korean/Asian markets which seem to be springing up in all the nooks and crannies in the MD, DC, VA area. I find them much cheaper and fresher.

crimsonbabe
Apr 2, 2007, 07:29 PM
TTF

In case you are looking for yet another African food place. I was in the DC area over the weekend and went to a place called Bukom Cafe - restaurant/bar with pretty good life music later, Its in the Adams Morgan area somewhere around 18th and U streets. I really like it. The food was nice - mostly West African and they have a live band which was pretty good.

It was a different crowd from the typical 9ja restaurant (thankfully!). Lots of Africans not just 9ja people and even lots of young and Old oyibo folks. - A pretty mixed crowd which I liked ...I was there on a friday night so cant say about other nights..I liked the ambience and you may like it too. But all the same fun to check out...

Later

tatafo
Apr 2, 2007, 09:19 PM
TTF

In case you are looking for yet another African food place. I was in the DC area over the weekend and went to a place called Bukom Cafe - restaurant/bar with pretty good life music later, Its in the Adams Morgan area somewhere around 18th and U streets. I really like it. The food was nice - mostly West African and they have a live band which was pretty good.

It was a different crowd from the typical 9ja restaurant (thankfully!). Lots of Africans not just 9ja people and even lots of young and Old oyibo folks. - A pretty mixed crowd which I liked ...I was there on a friday night so cant say about other nights..I liked the ambience and you may like it too. But all the same fun to check out...

Later

CB, you appear to be legging it to DC a lot these days... give us Tatafo gist now biko!!!

crimsonbabe
Apr 2, 2007, 09:39 PM
CB, you appear to be legging it to DC a lot these days... give us Tatafo gist now biko!!!

TTF

My sister, this your gbegborun too much o.. :D :p Abeg, leave wetin dem write for danfo, enter the bus, biko.. :biggrin:

Am sure like pregnancy, wey you no fit hide, everything go reveal itself sooner or later.. hahahaha..

CB

Africanshop
May 17, 2013, 10:28 AM
Shikenan African Shop is also in MD

emj
May 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
There is the African/Caribean Store on Liberty Road in Baltimore.

Then there is Peju's Kitchen in Security Plaza also in Woodlawn Baltimore.

In the DC area, there is a whole strip mall owned by a Nigerian I forget the name now...
I will try to remember...

I just confirmed after reading through this thread that the strip mall is owned by Obugs;)

Eherm African Shop, wias your store located in the DC area?(pls and thank u).......