PDA

View Full Version : [General] Online dating

Africanshop
Jul 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
So many Nigerians home and abroad are scared of online dating. I know quite a few people who have found love online. Sometimes, we wait for love to come and find us. It works for some and it doesn't work for others. So, why not try something new- who knows, it might work out for you too. Here's an article that will help you in your search for love online:

WHY MORE AFRICANS IN DIASPORA SHOULD TRY ONLINE AFRICAN DATING WEBSITES
We all know at least one African person that is single and they are either looking for a wife or husband (maybe both, just kidding). You also have probably heard them say there are no good African women or men abroad anymore. That they have all become Americanized and they would rather go back home and find someone (as if that doesn't have its own problems)....

Until you can say you have devoted enough time to looking for a partner and stepping out of your comfort zone I don't want to hear there are no good African men and women abroad. With that being said here are 10 online dating sites, some are exclusively for Africans while others are geared towards African Americans.

10 online African Dating Websites

1. Afrointroductions boasts of thousands of members and over 20 million connections in the Cupid Media network. It enables its members to use functions...

https://shikenan.com/article-details/1/110/1/Why-more-Africans-in-Diaspora-should-try-Online-African-Dating-Websites

It's quite easy to find love but all you need to do is to do it wisely.

Please let us know your thoughts on this subject.

Thank you!!!

Mikky jaga
Jul 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
I don't know why people should go on line to look for love! Are there no single ladies in your neighborhood?

anwulika
Jul 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
I don't see why not?

It increases the pool of potential mates so one does not end up dating unsuitable folks in their vicinity because they are ''close in proximity''.

but like in everything, one has to be careful. There are creeps out there that take up all sorts of persona on the internet. Meeting the person and getting to know each other offline is very important.

and it does not have to be specifically ''dating sites''. People that visit special interest sites like cooking, sports, political websites can 'meet' others that share the same interest and sparks fly from there. I think it is really awesome when people find partners that share the same interests. For example, for people that think that intellectualism is a favorable attribute in a partner, a website like NVS could be a good place to connect with someone :wink:

There was an article I read somewhere that says that couples that share interests tend to be more successful. I believe that.

This couple below shared an interest in playing the video game, HALO online and met for the first time in person after 5 YEARS of playing together online!

This was their first meeting captured in the youtube video. I was so touched...how romantic!

Halo Couple Meet in Person for First Time After 5 Years

Couple Meet in Real Life Five Years After Connecting on "Halo"

The moment when two gamers who fell in love online finally see each other is captured on video.
When most people look for love online, they turn to common dating websites such as eHarmony and Match.com, but one couple found unexpected love in a Halo chat room.
Five years ago, in the virtual lobby of the game Halo 3, Cady Harris of Houston, Texas, met Will Jarman of Cleveland, Tennessee. Harris told ABC News that they played games for hours at a time and later friended each other on Facebook. The relationship progressed from there.
At first, they communicated only through the game, but eventually the chatting moved to online dating. Harris said her parents were skeptical at first, but then her mom spoke with Jarman on the phone a couple of times and she really liked him.
Harris says she and Jarman chatted for three years on Xbox, Myspace, Facebook, and Skype. When the two saw each other for the first time on Skype, their friendship quickly blossomed into romance. She wrote, "Once we talked 'face to face' we hit it off as a couple from then on."
In a video, the lovebirds, who had yet to meet in person, can be seen at the George Bush Airport in Houston embracing each other. The video has tons of fans on social media. One Twitter user wrote, "Got to say this is super cute." The video, which has been viewed almost a million times, has received mostly positive comments, with many wishing the couple well, noting how happy the two look, and encouraging the pair's long-distance love.

Harris and Jarman are now engaged, but they have not set a date.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cDu1WUjdoNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anioma777
Jul 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
I think it is a great idea, the only problem is that by nature Africans on average are too closed minded and secretive. Many are online but feel a stigma at meeting someone. It is a great way to have many women in different countries :p

Also just as there is no guarantee that meeting someone in your area will work meeting someone online does not mean it will not work.
It is just another medium to meet people. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

M. Akosa
Jul 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
I think it is a great idea, the only problem is that by nature Africans on average are too closed minded and secretive. Many are online but feel a stigma at meeting someone. It is a great way to have many women in different countries :p

Also just as there is no guarantee that meeting someone in your area will work meeting someone online does not mean it will not work.
It is just another medium to meet people. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ani,

I wouldn't say that because some people have actually met their life partners online or through blind dating. There are so many people who find enduring partners or spouses online and they had no intentions whatsoever of playing the fields when they first went online searching for love. And after they met their match, they also continue to be in sincere and trustworthy intimate relationship with their once online love.
Oprah is an example of one such successful relationships that happened through blind date. She met Steadman on blind date and they have been together ever since then, clearly as we can all see without any intentions of con or taking each other for a ride. As we may tend to perceive nowadays about many people seeking love and intimate relationship online. It is all about trust and the intentions of the individuals involved at the end of the day.

However I agree with you here;
There is no such guarantees that the person you meet at church or through personal introductions will become the one for you.
You are very right here Bros, "nothing ventured, nothing gained"
:lol:

As for me, I will say to the singles, "beware of meeting people in churches or following personal introductions from church folks" It is a pitfall or scam most times !
Online love is by far better and safer when you apply your common sense, than to seek love from churches; because that is exactly where you see many of the devious people, ex-con, the closet gays e.t.c lurking around for the gullible and they prey on the vulnerable and the most desperate singles. And the worst part is that their pastors can easily identify these bad people among them, and try to ward them off hooking up with an unwitting single among their flock, but they keep quiet as long as offerings and tithes are bountiful on regular basis.

Austin
Jul 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
Ani,

I wouldn't say that because some people have actually met their life partners online or through blind dating. There are so many people who find enduring partners or spouses online and they had no intentions whatsoever of playing the fields when they first went online searching for love. And after they met their match, they also continue to be in sincere and trustworthy intimate relationship with their once online love.
Oprah is an example of one such successful relationships that happened through blind date. She met Steadman on blind date and they have been together ever since then, clearly as we can all see without any intentions of con or taking each other for a ride. As we may tend to perceive nowadays about many people seeking love and intimate relationship online. It is all about trust and the intentions of the individuals involved at the end of the day.

However I agree with you here;
There is no such guarantees that the person you meet at church or through personal introductions will become the one for you.
You are very right here Bros, "nothing ventured, nothing gained"
:lol:

As for me, I will say to the singles, "beware of meeting people in churches or following personal introductions from church folks" It is a pitfall or scam most times !
Online love is by far better and safer when you apply your common sense, than to seek love from churches; because that is exactly where you see many of the devious people, ex-con, the closet gays e.t.c lurking around for the gullible and they prey on the vulnerable and the most desperate singles. And the worst part is that their pastors can easily identify these bad people among them, and try to ward them off hooking up with an unwitting single among their flock, but they keep quiet as long as offerings and tithes are bountiful on regular basis.

M.Akosa,
Otito oro = true talk, and nothing but true talk:lol: