PDA

View Full Version : 20 iPhone tips and tricks every one should know.

HolyPagan
Jun 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Tech-Culture/2012/0202/20-iPhone-tips-and-tricks-everyone-should-know/Don-t-call-me-Shirley

3. Stop the relentless screen flipping
IPhones can't always figure out which way is up. There are plenty of times when you're lying down or leaning back that the phone's screen keeps shifting from portrait to landscape - now it's portrait... and back to landscape. There is a way to stop this constant screen rotation.

First, double-click the iPhone home button. This will bring up a list of recently opened apps. Swipe the list from left to right. That will reveal a set of music controls - stop, play, skip track, etc. Ignore those for right now because we're interested in the far-left button - that gray icon with a circular arrow. Touch the icon and a message will come up reading, "Portrait Orientation Locked." Now, it doesn't matter if you're reading a text message sideways on a roller coaster, your screen will stay vertical.
If you can't remember whether your screen has been locked or not, check for the lock icon next to your battery indicator in the top-right corner. Curiously, this trick only works vertically. You can't lock it to a horizontal orientation.
I love this one. sometimes I get crosseyed flipping from vertical to horizontal, when reading from a prone position.

4. Take a picture - fast
When history is unfolding before your eyes - or your friend is caught in a compromising position that deserves documentation - swiping through apps to find the iPhone camera can result in a missed opportunity.

While the lock screen is displayed, two quick clicks of the home button will cause a camera icon to appear along the bottom of the screen. Tapping this new icon sends you straight to the camera. Bonus trick: the volume-up button on the side of the phone will work as a physical shutter button.
I'd have loved this one too, if it weren't already redundant....'cause with the iOS 5.1.1 update, all you have to do is flick the camera icon that's already on the screen next to unlock button, and you're ready to click away.

5. iMessage overseas without pesky fees
iMessage isn't only free within the US - it's free across continents. An international data plan can be expensive and texts can cause fees to skyrocket. But for iOS 5 users, iMessage can help avoid unnecessary charges. If you're the one abroad, make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi. (Also remember that Wi-Fi is not necessarily free. There may be fees attached on that end.)

If those blue text bubbles suddenly turn green, that means your phone is starting to send an SMS messages. This can be avoided by going into Messages, under General Settings, and turning off Send As SMS.
Sadly iMessenger is DOA....it's a non-starter.
It's so hit or miss, it's worse than useless...but when it does work, its beautiful. It makes sending photos during a conversation so effortless..when it does work . Most times, one ends up tapping the message, which opens the dialogue, asking whether to send the message as a regular SMS, which is very aggravating, to say the least.

9. Scroll to the top, and fast
For music enthusiasts who have an extensive iTunes library, scrolling to the top of your Songs list may be a tedious process. (The problems we have to worry about these days.) But quite honestly, for iPhone users who have more than 10,000 songs stored, getting from ZZ Top to ABBA can require too many thumb thrusts. There's an easier way to rocket up a long list: Tap the clock at the top of the screen. It'll automatically send you to the beginning. One click is all it takes. The trick works for contacts, e-mail, and websites as well.
This is so convenient. makes going to the top of the various lists effortless...

13. Locate your lost iPhone

Losing an iPhone can be a traumatic experience, especially if you recently paid money for a new one. But circumstances needn't be so dire with the help of iCloud and the iPhone's built-in GPS - if you've taken the proper precautions.

After you've set up iCloud, go into the iCloud settings and enable Find My iPhone. You can also just download the Find My iPhone app. Once signed up, you can track your phone on a map. From there, you can remotely force the phone play a sound, lock down the phone, have it display an alert message, or even wipe its memory. Of course, this might not be necessary if you can find it via the GPS tracker. Just hope it doesn't run out of battery power... or lose service
I would suggest doing this once the phone is set up and running...while it may not guarantee that the phone will be found if pinched, it reduces that frustrating helplessness, that comes with losing something valuable.
I hope I never have to use it..but it will be interesting to watch the likely location of something that is supposed to be with me, on a GPS tracker winding its way away from me, inside somebody's bag/pocket.

18. Take a screenshot
Want to show your friends a ridiculous text message conversation you had last night or easily save an image to your photo library? The screenshot option on the iPhone allows you to take a picture anywhere and anytime of anything on your 3.5-inch screen.

When you find something you want to immortalize, simply press the home button and the on/off switch at the same time. Your screen will flash and the resulting image will land in your camera roll.
hehehe this one is cheeky. I will most def try it before the weekend is out...during a textathon, it means I can send the whole convo, not just forward bits and bobs of it.

20. Make Siri mad

You've probably figured out by now that Siri doesn't respond well to certain directions, but at least she sometimes has a good sense of humor about it. If you tell Siri to "open the pod bay doors" - a command that HAL 9000 famously refused in "2001: A Space Odyssey" - Siri will retort in a number of ways, such as "That's a rather insensitive thing to say to an intelligent agent" or simply "Sigh." And of course, if you ask for her advise on what's the best phone, she'll ask you if you're kidding. But no matter how many times you ask her about her religious views, she will insist that humans have spiritualism while she has siliconism. Not only is Siri good for reporting the weather - she's also quite the entertainer.

Oh for all the times Siri failed to recognise my igbotic accent..
Oh for all the times Siri failed to know something because its not in the good Ole USA
Oh for all the times Siri is not available
Oh for all the times Siri had no answer
Siri had better be sighing from now till eternity, for its overhyped, overpraised, underperforming Siliconicarse.