PDA

View Full Version : [General] 'Only 30% Married Men Use Condoms With Prostitute

valteena
May 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Only 30.5 per cent of married men who reportedly engage in "penetrative sex with commercial sex workers use condoms," a research has shown.

The study showed that out of the 1,396 and 459 married male respondent who reside in urban and rural areas respectively, only 137 had used commercial sex workers in the past six months prior to study and only 63 men had used a condom at the last visit.

The Director-General of the National Agency for the Control of AIDS, Prof. John Idoko, said this during the presentation on PreExposureProphylaxis by the United States Mission.

According to him PrEP is the newest HIV prevention tool which involves the use of Truvada, an antiretroviral to prevent HIV infection.

About 62 per cent of new infections, he said, occured among persons perceived as practicing "low risk sex", including married sexual partners.

Idoko cited three approaches that would aid the implementation of PreP, including remodelling with data analysis. He added, "We want to do a feasibility study in four states."

Also speaking, the Director (Prevention, Care and Treatment) at the Health International (FHI 360), Dr. Hadiza Khamofu, said infections in low risk relationships were acquired through high risk sexual encounters

She cited a recent study by Dr. Taiwo Ijawogin of the University of Ibadan on condom use with sex workers and abstinence among men Nigeria.

Speaking on 'Discordancy trends in Nigeria's PMTCT programme', she stated that the ante-natal care prevalence rate of 4.1 per cent exists among the 160 million populations, adding that pregnancy presents a period of higher risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV infection.

"http://www.punchng.com/news/only-30-married-men-use-condoms-with-prostitutes/

emj
May 25, 2012, 12:31 AM
Speaking on 'Discordancy trends in Nigeria's PMTCT programme', she stated that the ante-natal care prevalence rate of 4.1 per cent exists among the 160 million populations, adding that pregnancy presents a period of higher risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV infection.

Of course...it makes sense......

But then we all have the will abi free will to scuba dive safely or take the suicide route.......the choice is there.

First-lady
May 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
Has anybody studied why the disease has a much higher incidence in the Benue and Akwa Ibom areas
The figures are startling in those 2 places
I would have thought Edo state because of the prostitution export thing but no
Why Benue and cross river side
Are they doing more than everyone else or what?
There should be an investigation into that

valteena
May 25, 2012, 02:05 AM
Of course...it makes sense......

But then we all have the will abi free will to scuba dive safely or take the suicide route.......the choice is there.

Countessa mi their right to that choice would have been ok if they would not spread the disease to their likely innocent spouse and other members of their families in the process as well as become the burden of the family when their health takes a dive.

First-lady
May 25, 2012, 02:09 AM
'Benue, Akwa Ibom Most HIV Endemic States'*
Author: Richard Akindele*
Posted: 07/18 09:55 AM*
Benue State has the higest incidence of HIV cases in the country with 10.0% prevalence level. This is followed by Akwa Ibom with 8.0, Nasarawa with 6.5, Enugu 6.5 and the Federal Capital Territory at 6.3.

The lowest state with the HIV prevalence however, is Ekiti with 1.6 and closely followed by Jigawa and Oyo with 1.8.

This was desclosed by President Olusegun Obasanno at a meeting with governors of states with the highest HIV prevalence. The president said the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Nigeria is a matter of serious concern as it can be found in all parts of the country although in varying proportion, adding that the results of the 2005 Survey "have further confirmed that the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Nigeria is a public health problem of enormous magnitude that must be given priority attention. It has affected all parts of our country with varying degrees of magnitude".

President Obasanjo had also disclosed that "although HIV prevalence was generally higher in urban sites than in rural sites, the difference was not statistically significant. Indeed in twelve states, ten of which are among the 15 in attendance today, had a higher rural prevalence. The highest site-specific prevalence of 14.4% was observed in Iquita-Oron, a rural site in Akwa-Ibom State".:eek::eek::eek:

Giving further insight into details of the survey conducted, he stated that "over the years, some States invited here such as Benue, Akwa Ibom and the FCT have been observed to have consistently high prevalence. This is very worrisome and has very serious implications for stability, productivity, growth and development. This situation calls for concerted efforts and pro-active strategies. Detailed socio-epidemiological and behavioral studies need to be undertaken in these areas to better understand the factors and forces that are fueling and sustaining the epidemic.

"We must, at individual and collective levels, examine our levels of commitment, policy coherence, institutional and advocacy capabilities and extraneous factors and forces that are fueling this rather alarming situation", he added.

The report also shows that other states that have the lowest HIV prevalence are Osun 2.0,Katsina 2.7,Kwara 2.8, Zamfara 3.0, Sokoto and Ondo 3.2, Lagos 3.3, Kano and Bauchi 3.4, Borno and Ogun 3.6, Delta and Yobe 3.7, Bayelsa 3.8, Imo 3.9 and Abia and Kebbi 4.0, Anambra and Adamawa at 4.2 and Ebonyi at 4.5.

Others are Edo at 4.6,Gombe at 4.9, Niger at 5.3, Rivers at 5.4, Kogi at 5.5, Kaduna at 5.6, Taraba and Cross River at 6.1.

President Obasanjo had in also in his address while applauding efforts of States where the prevalence rate has continued to decline, added that "the Cross River State Government deserves special mention in this regard as its prevalence rate dropped from 12% in 2003 to about 6% in 2005. Though this is still above the national average, a near 50% decline in two years is especially commendable".

This Day.

Nna mehn
If somebody dey single and searching na to enter Ekene begin go Ekiti,Oyo or Jigawa :cool.png::cool.png:
Do tum bom tum bom and pick one,you are almost guaranteed a disease free man :o
Let somebody be sure of what they are getting into
Marry outside those areas at your own risk

valteena
May 25, 2012, 02:14 AM
Has anybody studied why the disease has a much higher incidence in the Benue and Akwa Ibom areas

FL could it be that the Edo prostitute due to their international exposure are more enlightened about the health implication of unsafe sex and take necessary precaution like insisting on rain coat something the home grown ones including those from Akwa Ibom and Benue are probably too ignorant and timid to know and insist on from the men. At least that I would say is a positive from their prostitution export.

First-lady
May 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
FL could it be that the Edo prostitute due to their international exposure are more enlightened about the health implication of unsafe sex and take necessary precaution like insisting on rain coat something the home grown ones including those from Akwa Ibom and Benue are probably too ignorant and timid to know and insist on from the men. At least that I would say is a positive from their prostitution export.

That may be true o
It is not who is doing it but how they are doing it
Somebody said the Benue state stats is because of the culture of giving teir wives as kola
I doubt if that culture still obtains
Then how does one explain the Enugu state one at 6.5%
I have visited people in Enugu and nobody gave my husband a human kola to the best of my knowledge
Abi dem no dey make the kola giving known to the other visitors?
Your kola comes to you at another time
Lol lol
Abeg make una o mind o
I am just kidding here

First-lady
May 25, 2012, 02:26 AM
One other news item says the stats at Lagos Island is in the double digits
God help Nigeria
Anyone getting maried now in this day and age must insist on an HIV test
It is foolish not to get one

And if you are positive,it's nolonger a death sentence,like years before
Many people are living happy,productive lives seeing their doctor regularly
Get tested folks
Ignorance kills faster than HIV

emj
May 25, 2012, 02:55 AM
Lady Val-T, there's no legislation or any law that will compel anyone to use that contraption known as condom....even those who use it know that it does no necessarily prevent contracting HIV Aids....

Btw, what if it burst during use? You can just imagine all the juices being passed round all becos someone/people cannot just help but tap current elsewhere....it's not only prostitutes that are at risk...everyone is...the statistics being peddled might not even be correct as most people dont go to hospital anywaz.....

Unregistre
May 25, 2012, 04:54 AM
Only 30.5 per cent of married men who reportedly engage in "penetrative sex with commercial sex workers use condoms," a research has shown.

arigh; Nieria is a country where "If you catch an Igbo thief; you can not prosecute him, unless you catch a Yoruba thief and an Hausa thief - Sir Tafawa Balewa"
@Val
its now on record that only 30.5 % of married men who engage in penetrative sex with commercial sex workers in Nigeria use condom; this research should also be extended to examine what percentage of the 63% of married Nigerian women who engage in penetrative sex with other men(be they gigolos or what ever) use condom. I hope you gonna root that out and post in order to balance the equation. If the record does not exist; you might just take it up and perform the research in your spear time.

valteena
May 25, 2012, 06:47 AM
arigh; Nieria is a country where "If you catch an Igbo thief; you can not prosecute him, unless you catch a Yoruba thief and an Hausa thief - Sir Tafawa Balewa"
@Val
its now on record that only 30.5 % of married men who engage in penetrative sex with commercial sex workers in Nigeria use condom; this research should also be extended to examine what percentage of the 63% of married Nigerian women who engage in penetrative sex with other men(be they gigolos or what ever) use condom. I hope you gonna root that out and post in order to balance the equation. If the record does not exist; you might just take it up and perform the research in your spear time.

Unregistre why don't you do womankind the service and fish out such statics. I have done my bit for the service of mankind it is only fair that you reciprocate same now abi;)

nijalaw
May 25, 2012, 08:24 AM

I lived in Akwa Ibom for about 3 years & been in Benue on visits & all I can say is that the level of promiscuity is quite high along with ignorance in sexual protection. In Eket I had the fastest score of my life as I in broad daylight I saw a girl on the road while driving for groceries & in less than 15 mins we were ripping our clothes off in my room. I had a girl who 2ce or 3ce a week would shag me in the morning on her way to school. In Benue after a wedding they just shipped one girl into my room who immediately began stripping & expressed shock when I brought out my Trojans, she asked nicely for a pack when she left in the morning.
Apart from ignorance & the usual "I don care Naija attitude" a great problem is self control & discipline. I have been with a fresh catch live in my room & it got to the point of putting on my CD, lo & behold I couldn't find any. I just told her sorry we can't continue & till next time, most guys would have damned the consequences. A lot of people are not conscious about condom breakage & it will do well to check it up from time to time no matter the lust level after all a live half stud is better than a full stud marked for death with HIV. I advise my married friends the only person you really need to perform for is your wife, if you indulge in affairs on the outside you'll need to be unemotional after all it's your purse strings they are after, so play safe & be wise. Prostitutes & runs girls charge more for those who don't want to use condoms & they are many fools out there who are happy with such arrangements. Some when they catch beautiful girls with goddess bodies & luscious sexual moves throw caution to the wind by convincing themselves the girl is clean. I have laffed at some of my guys & expressed shock at their carelessness.