PDA

View Full Version : Jim Jones Documentary

Soul Sista
Oct 26, 2006, 04:59 PM
There is a documentary on Jim Jones and his followers showing at the Quad Cinema on
34th in Greenwich, Manhattan. I forgot to announce it earlier. It is on until November 2. See the blurb below from the Quad's website http://www.quadcinema.com/.

Visit the website for ticketing information and directions.

Soul Sista a/k/a Soul Sizzling

The 1960s ushered in nearly two decades of intense social and cultural tumult. It also spawned religious extremists like Jim Jones, the charismatic and forceful leader of the Peoples Temple. He offered his followers the perfect balance of spiritual fulfillment and political commitment. Jones not only preached about integration and equality, but he also built an organization that provided food, clothing, and shelter to his congregation and his community. But, upon close examination, something was amiss. Defectors and family members gave accounts of physical, sexual, and drug abuse, financial corruption, and members being held against their will. On November 18, 1978, facing exposure by a visiting Congressman, over 900 members of the Peoples Temple followed their leader in the largest mass suicide in history. Using never before seen footage and survivor interviews, this unbelievable documentary tells the story about the people who followed Jim Jones from Indiana, to California, and finally to the remote jungles of Guyana, South America, in a misbegotten quest to build an ideal society and rid the world of injustice.

Rose
Oct 27, 2006, 03:19 AM
I was reading about this the other day. Think I'll place it in my gueue and await the release on DVD.