PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
...and what's Taiwo doing taking those free-kicks?

Later

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
Not too bad a half from nij. I expected a lot worse. At least we had a goal threat of sorts. Hopefully we can exploit Argentina dodgy left back like all the punters are saying..

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
E be like say the angel don hear my prayers come reduce the tally. That 5:0 for kill Auspy one time. Thank God for small Messis

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 02:58 PM
Alexi Lalas needs to shut up!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
..threw a foul throw......to the opponent too. Chai!

Later

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Nigeria still lacks tactical discipline and unfortunately, we do not have the midfield to compensate for our tactical indiscipline. I think that this is going to be a kalokalo World Cup - we will not beat teams because we dominate (our midfield doesn't have it). We will win if we do at all because of our one-strike brilliance. Our boys still have that.

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:02 PM
Alexi Lalas needs to shut up!

He talks rubbish, but he has a point about our concentration and tactical indiscipline. It's a pity Obi is missing. But it's fairly obvious we need Martins and Odemwinge in there.

Dimaanu
Jun 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
I still have confidence in our boys.
Naija boys have been known to turn around a 4-0.

We'll see.

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpkjBYZva6w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpkjBYZva6w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

to cool you'alls temperature

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
What has surprised me about Argentina is that they haven't actively looked for more set pieces. I guess we should be happy about that.

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thank God.

Martins, 25-year old, in..
--

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 03:12 PM
Obafemi Martin is in now about time. Why is there never any one to connect the ball from our players whenever there is a cracking cross towards the goal post?

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thank God.

Martins, 25-year old, in..
--

Add 5 years to that official age bro
The veins in his crotch will confirm this

Exxcuzme
Jun 12, 2010, 03:16 PM
This is the Coach Ken and his supporters prefered to Amodu, tactical my azz. Nigeria still playing like Nigeria, no sense of urgency or purpose!

By the way Ken, St. Thomas Aquinas Primary School does not have running water. How about a fundraiser or if you can write Fashola to provide water for the school. This is the least you can do for supporting the white man to just come and chop. Then, I can forgive u :D

First-lady
make I go drink akamu jor
afternoon don begin break,persin never chop

Auspicious
--

Odemwingie coming in Obasi - about time~
--

NoLongThing
Jun 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
Just as I predicted in my last post, Odewinge takes over from Obasi. Thank God. Now Game on. Already you can see the difference.

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:19 PM
Commentators talk too much... the shot was not as bad as he makes out....

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 03:19 PM
Now Odemwingie is in. Good.

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahr !!!!

Odemwingie!!!!!!

What an opportunity!

Lalakokofefe
Tank God for dis awa goal keeper oooo..

Bunch17
The last move sums up our football. We could not keep up with the Argentines.
Old Legs!

Dimaanu
Jun 12, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm losing my voice. Too much screaming.

God bless our goalkeeper.

NoLongThing
Jun 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
Odewinge let us down real badly, he should have laid that ball. Bloody idiotttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! Best chance for Naija and he makes a hash of it.

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
Another great save by our goalie making it five great saves now. What is the matter with our boys for God's sake

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
Arrhhhh odemwingie, why or why didn't he pass to yakubu at 2v1

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Taiwo..almostt..

Dimaanu
Jun 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Almost!!!!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
+

Nigeria game so far?

Sorry, Sloppy.

Marin
aargh!!!!!!!!!!

wizard
kai I was trying to blow that ball in from taiwo just wouldn't sqeeze in

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
All we are saaayiiing.. give us a goalllll

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
The ages they give our players sef...

emj
Jun 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
That's an unwarranted yellow card against Haruna...wats going on here with officiating..drat:arrow:

Martins tried o...hmm

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
+

The game keeps being sloppy with another careless one by Uche

Oh wait - MARTINS shot on goal!!
--

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Its not over till its over come boys.

Uwaa Sef
...more of that, Obafemi.

Later

wizard
hot bullet from martins .. i think they can hear me. All we are saaayyinnng, give us a goaall

Auspicious
The ages they give our players sef...

What, Haruna @ 19?

I think we exaggerate the discrepancies with our players' ages.
--

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:39 PM
Folks!

Shot-Clock @ 80:26 Secs!!!!

NoLongThing
Almost. Hehehe

Auspicious
+

Again, another save from Enyeama!

Is it time to start booing my team?
--

Dimaanu
Jun 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
I need my pulse checked.

wizard
Enyeama should be given a GCFON.. what a save

valteena
Another terrific save by Enyeama. He sure is man of the match lol

Dimaanu
Uche!!!:rant:

wizard
Uche agaaiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn arrrhhhhhhhhh

SNB
Jun 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
No good defense.... chai see as they wan score second time..... Uche, I go flog you! See as this bobo waste easy goal..... Na waya

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
+

Slow fcukin' sloppy!

Slow..acing tired. etc.
--

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Do we have nutritionists and physical therapists of the World Class Caliber on the Nigerian Squad? I sometimes get the impression that these guys have been eating too much pounded yam...

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Enyeama should be given a GCFON.. what a save

Yeah better him than those bastards who call themselves leaders, eh?
--

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
+

Ball Control: Poor.

Accuracy: Poor.

Agility: Unimpressive.
--

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
+

Shot-Clock: 88:46!!!!

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Although we are loosing.. I don't think we have done too badly. I expected us to be blown away by this Argentine side but we have had our chances and still hanging in there.. not bad

Ph3y
Jun 12, 2010, 03:51 PM
To play football no be by mouth o......NFF [NFA was more apt sha] hear hear!!!

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
Do we have nutritionists and physical therapists of the World Class Caliber on the Nigerian Squad? I sometimes get the impression that these guys have been eating too much pounded yam...

We also need a sports psychologist!

Auspicious
+

Game Over.

What an anti-climax.
--

emj
The end...not much in terms of attack...no one to reel the goals in.
Gulps, i need a long drink.

valteena
Its over they beat us. It wasn't impressive of Argentina. Only one gaol for all the impressive play.

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 03:54 PM
Ok we lost, the right team won, but not bad from the boys.

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 03:55 PM
Argentina will not go far in this tournament, though, (no, it's not a wish) no matter the outcome of this match.

Later

Ph3y
Although we are loosing.. I don't think we have done too badly. I expected us to be blown away by this Argentine side but we have had our chances and still hanging in there.. not bad

Well me thinks those Argentine boys did not want to waste too much energy blowing us away yet:sad:.....they have bigger fish to fry....

Dimaanu
Sad.

I have to go and console my young man.

Auspicious
Gulps, i need a long drink.

Hehe!

EMJ "Emily Onikaba"gulping even before she started drinking? :lol:
--

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have to go and console my young man.

Awwww.

Tell him I said it's okay; he can rout for the USA-England, coming up next.

It's probably the most anticipated match in US Soccer history.

And even better, Nigeria is not out yet. Watch. :p :wink:
--

emj
Jun 12, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hehe!

EMJ "Emily Onikaba"gulping even before she started drinking? :lol:
--

Dat was all the saliva from shouting o......hehehehe, chei my throat is dry and am late for a facial appointment:arrow:

Exxcuzme
Jun 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
See dem talk, "we lost by one". Such kind of mentality is why black people dont do much. The game is to win! anything else is a lost. Amodu got result, Lagerbrunner, or whatever his name could not qualify his country. What kinda of technicality did Nigeria show today? Nada!

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
Enyema for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exxcuzme
Jun 12, 2010, 04:00 PM
Now come my team, go USA! Come and see us beat England today.

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
+

Next, United States of America Vs. Queen Elizabeth's England.

Mowing the lawn can wait; I gotta date to keep with USA!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WxBlpzVSOCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="295"></object>
--

NoLongThing
Jun 12, 2010, 04:03 PM
What a shame. What a f.............ing shame. Conceding the fastest goal, First African team to be beaten at the first world cup to be held on African soil but for Enyeama, it could have been at least 5 nil. And that Peter Odewinge, he let me down badly. Yakubu was the surprise for me, he, Yobo and Onyeama were my men of the match on the Naija side.

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
+

Next, United States of America Vs. Queen Elizabeth's England.

The lawn at home can wait; I gotta date to keep with USA!
--

Oh well let me stand by my second country jare. All hail the Queen as we show these Americanas what real football is all about:D:D.

Come on England

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jK9yMZLFIbs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jK9yMZLFIbs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rebr9ueiB7Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rebr9ueiB7Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Uwaa Sef
Well me thinks those Argentine boys did not want to waste too much energy blowing us away yet:sad:.....they have bigger fish to fry....Na lie. What you saw was it. Argentina was never that impressive in their qualifying matches, neither were they impressive in their warm-up matches. The hype about Argentina is based on past glory.

As a coach, Maradona is not better than Amodu.

Later

Lalakokofefe
So much for dat pesin wey predict Nigeria 2 Argentina 1.

You know yasef....

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 04:07 PM
I predict Nigeria is not going to lose her remaining matches. 2 draws is all they need to be home and dry.

NoLongThing
Jun 12, 2010, 04:07 PM
See dem talk, "we lost by one". Such kind of mentality is why black people dont do much. The game is to win! anything else is a lost. Amodu got result, Lagerbrunner, or whatever his name could not qualify his country. What kinda of technicality did Nigeria show today? Nada!

But for your reference to Black whatever, the rest of your post is on point with regards to the "Game is to win".

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 04:10 PM
If England no fit beat USA, dem no get any chance with this tournament o!

With all their premiership and their bid to host next world cup, make we see wetin dem go do.

England get gra-gra too much, dem better live up to the hype!

But i still dey root for them sha, as per say they have the most exciting league!!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
So much for dat pesin wey predict Nigeria 2 Argentina 1.

You no yasef....

LOL!!!!

Lalakokofefe Baba!

I know that guy, too - Oh, I know him! :lol:

It's not me o, but I know him sha! Muahahaha! :D
--

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
What a shame. What a f.............ing shame. Conceding the fastest goal, First African team to be beaten at the first world cup to be held on African soil but for Enyeama, it could have been at least 5 nil. And that Peter Odewinge, he let me down badly. Yakubu was the surprise for me, he, Yobo and Onyeama were my men of the match on the Naija side.

Yakubu for me was the greatest revelation of this match. This was his best match in Nigeria shirt.

Obinna, Odia, choked big time.

I think the level of discipline has improved though. You did not see devenfers diving in at opponents etc. It is not yet Uhuru. Our next match has to be the toughest and I believe that Martins will start up front with Yak1

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 04:12 PM
I predict Nigeria is not going to lose her remaining matches. 2 draws is all they need to be home and dry.

Hmm, bros MJ,
shebi you watch Greece vs South Korea match?

Ok, make i nor talk any further till we meet South Korea.

Those boyz with the squinty eyes and difficult-to-pronounce names mean biznezz oo!!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:13 PM
+

Y'all know what I think?

Not featuring Martins & Odemwingie from the start was a bad move.

The outcome mighta been different if they had been featured.

But, hey, that's just my little opinion here.
--

antiobj2007
Jun 12, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. We had 2 or 3 decent chances but didn't take them. Uche should get a knock on the head for throwing that goal away. I would have scored walahi!

Vincent is the man -world class goal stopper no doubt about it definitely the man of the match.

Jonathan should go to the camp and give Vincent Enyeama a big hug on our behalf

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 04:15 PM

What do you expect. When you have a failed coach as your coach. We go soon set more World records. Just wait and see.

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:16 PM

But for your diss of Odemwingie,

I agree with you in your comments above.

Odemwingie didn't get featured early enough, that's all.
--

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
Enyeama elected FIFA man of the match!

This was a guy that Wenger declined to sign. .. because we had Almunia!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
..I would have scored walahi!..

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fBVhfdduwfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
+

Y'all know what I think?

--

That was a big time blunder. There was nothing happening in the team until those 2 came along. I agreed that the discipline and determination in the side has improved compared to the nation's club. It will be close but we may just scale through this group.

Bring on Enland V USA. Wey all those yaknkee boys sef.

Come on England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/US_Flag_Wavy.jpg

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
.. because we had Almunia!

Da hell is Almunia??? :confused1

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yakubu for me was the greatest revelation of this match. This was his best match in Nigeria shirt.

When Amodu kept on inviting Yak, some said it was because the guy was his in-law. Now you see!! Amodu would have beaten these sloppy Argentines 3:0 at less the cost of Lager's flight ticket

Auspicious
..Wey all those yaknkee boys sef..

We Dey! We Dey! :hail: :hail:

We full ground here - right Bunch, right? :biggrin:
--

oluomo
Enyeama elected FIFA man of the match!

This was a guy that Wenger declined to sign. .. because we had Almunia!

You beat me to that Bunchy. Safe to say we'll be seeing him in the EPL come Autumn. I hope Wenger gets him though.

Bunch17
Da hell is Almunia??? :confused1

The worst goal keeper ever to man the posts for the best team in the world!

http://www.palimpalem.com/3/futcha/userfiles/509px-Arsenal_FC-n_logo.svg.png

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
+

Y'all know what I think?

--

I agree we did kind of find our game towards the end, so if they had started the match maybe we would have been singing a different tune now.

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
When Amodu kept on inviting Yak, some said it was because the guy was his in-law. Now you see!! Amodu would have beaten these sloppy Argentines 3:0 at less the cost of Lager's flight ticket

On the contrary MJ, it is called man management. It was only one of those individuals who brought the best out of him and it was not Amodu!

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
+

Y'all know what I think?

--

Bad move? Oyibo no dey make bad moves now!! Na only Amodu dey do that kain thing.

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 04:28 PM
We Dey! We Dey! :hail: :hail:

We full ground here - right Bunch, right? :biggrin:
--

eyin da? - (Where una dey?)
e e ti po to (una never plenty reach)
Gbogbo Iya - (plenty of punishment)

BTW Abomination! Bunchy wears Yankee shirt. We must strip him of his OBE one time!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 04:31 PM
See dem talk, "we lost by one".Yeah, that's called mediocrity. They seem to always beat us by one. It will be a big relief to beat them by half on de big stage.

Later

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Bad move? Oyibo no dey make bad moves now!! Na only Amodu dey do that kain thing.

Really? Oyinbo nor dey make bad moves?

What are you, a specie of Fela's "African Gentleman"? :p
--

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
+

One of those to watch out for on Team U.S.A.

(Hi, Valteena!:p)

http://twentysixpanels.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/oguchionyewu.jpg

Be afraid, English - Be Very Afraid!
--

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 04:44 PM

My guy you sabi carry grudge sha! Han~han! Even Amodu himself has since moved on.

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Just one header gave Ghana the edge over Nigeria in Angola. Just one header has given Argentina the edge in the match.

And somebody said Eagles is improving!! So much for technical Lager. Those who knew had predicted that all Lagerbeer was doing was just show and nothing more. Yes he did not lose his 3 friendlies against lowly opponents. His first real test was flunked. What a coach.

I only hope he will better Onigbinde's record in his time.

Ajibs
Jun 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
Same guy who passed the ball to an Argentine, was the same bloke who could no jump high enough to clear the ball from the goal line, threw a foul throw and has just brought down Messi on the edge of the box.

Thats Chidi Odia, used to be a pretty good player a few years back. Now I think he plays in Russia. He is more a midfielder than a defender actually.

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
+

One of those to watch out for on Team U.S.A.

(Hi, Valteena!:p)

http://twentysixpanels.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/oguchionyewu.jpg

Be afraid, English - Be Very Afraid!
--

Its not about muscles lol but men I want that muscle on display umm!!!:drool: It is action like this that you yankes need to be afraid of. We are going to win.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01527/wayne_rooney_1527154c.jpg

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
+

Aherm!

Guess who my guy is routing for? :p

And don't even think about it; we are still routing for Eagles o!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0oEOQOJeLcM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="295"></object>

Ajibs
Jun 12, 2010, 05:25 PM
Just one header gave Ghana the edge over Nigeria in Angola. Just one header has given Argentina the edge in the match.

And somebody said Eagles is improving!! So much for technical Lager. Those who knew had predicted that all Lagerbeer was doing was just show and nothing more. Yes he did not lose his 3 friendlies against lowly opponents. His first real test was flunked. What a coach.

I only hope he will better Onigbinde's record in his time.

MJ & Uwaa Sef,
Make you no make me say you do not know football AT ALL O! Mikky Jaja, I have to just ignore you as you rant on against the coach, even a blind man would be a better coach than Amodu, you refuse to agree, no problem, maybe Amodu has hired you as his new PR man. I mean if you cannot see the difference in the team performance I go start to fear you! :D

As regards the game, you say 1-0 is a bad result? Auspi, where is that image you posted a while back of all the fantastic number of goals that the Argentines had under their belt? Last time we met Argentina, I think they hammered us 4-0.

Can it what you like, Mesi, upon his 4-5 chances and shots on goal DID NOT SCORE and you think that is just luck eh? He had two more or less one-one one chances and he still did not score and Higuain also had an open goal and Enyema came to the rescue.

So why did Peter and Obagoal not start? I also agree it was not necessarily a good decision, BUT! I think I understand why. Argentina has TOO much fire power, hence if given too many counter attacking oppurtunities, they would break the back of the net. You saw that almost happen on one occasion where Argentina including the "legendary Messi" and even Tevez outnumbered the Nigerians 4 to 2 and yet they did not score from a combination of some good last man defending by Taiye Taiwo and also Enyema making himself big in goal, so the shot went wide.

So if you had played with more attack minded players from the start there was every chance that you would have the defense to wide open for Argentina to just run amok on the Nigerian goal. And with the kind of fire power they have, they would have put probably much more than one goal past the goalkepper.

Now THIS IS WHAT GOOD coaching is all about!!! You know your team does not have the best defense in town, hence you augument them with some midfielders that can deputize and help the defnse out, this is why we saw Etuhu and Keita back for most of the game helping to shut down Messi and give him as much headache as they could before he burst into the 18 and with the guys talent and pace, it was still a tough job! So knowing that the defense has lapses, they got help from the midfield, the unfortunate side to that was attcking play was sacrificed and this is probably why Odemingiwe and Oba goal were not in at the start. And you saw that even Yak had to come back on occasion to assist the defense.

The player aside from the goalkeeper that stood out was the Unknown Haruna if the guy is really 19 then he may develop to be a key Nigerian player. As Robeto Martinez put it on ESPN, Nigeria gave them too much respect. But I think they played well overall. I am not making any predictions for the rest of the team, as I noted earlier, my expectation is that t he good players in the team get a chance to move to better clubs, for example, with this kind of display, hopefully a good team with pick up Enyeama and he can go play in Europe and leave Israel and he can end his career on a high note. That is one good goalkepper, right from his days as captain of Enyimba. Remember he was the kepper and captain when they won the African Champions League.

On another note, do you realize there were 4 players in the game that played against each other in the under 20 final where Messi came to light? Taiwo, Messi, Obasi and I can't recall the other Argentine all played with Mikel when Siasia's team won the silver and the under 20 world championships. Remember Messi was best player, Mikel second and Taiwo third.

I do think if the boys improve on this display, they have a chance. Okay make I go support home team now...

Exxcuzme
Jun 12, 2010, 05:36 PM
MJ & Uwaa Sef,
Make you no make me say you do not know football AT ALL O! Mikky Jaja, I have to just ignore you as you rant on against the coach, even a blind man would be a better coach than Amodu, you refuse to agree, no problem, maybe Amodu has hired you as his new PR man. I mean if you cannot see the difference in the team performance I go start to fear you! :D

As regards the game, you say 1-0 is a bad result? Auspi, where is that image you posted a while back of all the fantastic number of goals that the Argentines had under their belt? Last time we met Argentina, I think they hammered us 4-0.

Can it what you like, Mesi, upon his 4-5 chances and shots on goal DID NOT SCORE and you think that is just luck eh? He had two more or less one-one one chances and he still did not score and Higuain also had an open goal and Enyema came to the rescue.

So why did Peter and Obagoal not start? I also agree it was not necessarily a good decision, BUT! I think I understand why. Argentina has TOO much fire power, hence if given too many counter attacking oppurtunities, they would break the back of the net. You saw that almost happen on one occasion where Argentina including the "legendary Messi" and even Tevez outnumbered the Nigerians 4 to 2 and yet they did not score from a combination of some good last man defending by Taiye Taiwo and also Enyema making himself big in goal, so the shot went wide.

So if you had played with more attack minded players from the start there was every chance that you would have the defense to wide open for Argentina to just run amok on the Nigerian goal. And with the kind of fire power they have, they would have put probably much more than one goal past the goalkepper.

Now THIS IS WHAT GOOD coaching is all about!!! You know your team does not have the best defense in town, hence you augument them with some midfielders that can deputize and help the defnse out, this is why we saw Etuhu and Keita back for most of the game helping to shut down Messi and give him as much headache as they could before he burst into the 18 and with the guys talent and pace, it was still a tough job! So knowing that the defense has lapses, they got help from the midfield, the unfortunate side to that was attcking play was sacrificed and this is probably why Odemingiwe and Oba goal were not in at the start. And you saw that even Yak had to come back on occasion to assist the defense.

The player aside from the goalkeeper that stood out was the Unknown Haruna if the guy is really 19 then he may develop to be a key Nigerian player. As Robeto Martinez put it on ESPN, Nigeria gave them too much respect. But I think they played well overall. I am not making any predictions for the rest of the team, as I noted earlier, my expectation is that t he good players in the team get a chance to move to better clubs, for example, with this kind of display, hopefully a good team with pick up Enyeama and he can go play in Europe and leave Israel and he can end his career on a high note. That is one good goalkepper, right from his days as captain of Enyimba. Remember he was the kepper and captain when they won the African Champions League.

On another note, do you realize there were 4 players in the game that played against each other in the under 20 final where Messi came to light? Taiwo, Messi, Obasi and I can't recall the other Argentine all played with Mikel when Siasia's team won the silver and the under 20 world championships. Remember Messi was best player, Mikel second and Taiwo third.

I do think if the boys improve on this display, they have a chance. Okay make I go support home team now...

My expectation is for Nigeria to win, period!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 05:40 PM
I am dead!

LOL!

I don't know why, but that just cracked me up. :lol:
--

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 05:40 PM
Been on the road all day.

Kept checking livescores.com randomly for updates.

Another properwhack by Argentinia abi ? oooooooooooooooooooooouch.

What is LaggingBehind to do now ? :p

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 06:02 PM
+

LOL!

I just heard on ESPN that the English coach Capello makes 18 times what US Coach Bradley makes in their capacity as national team coaches.

I guess we'd see who's earning his pay in the next few minutes. GO USA! Hehe! :lol:
--

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 06:15 PM
MJ & Uwaa Sef,

Best post-match analysis i've seen/heard all day today concerning our game.

N.A.R, you have a good eye for the round leather game:clap::clap:.

Infact, N.A.R for next Eagles coach :hail::hail

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:25 PM
US and England coming up

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:27 PM
The star spangled banner being sung.
God bless America!

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:28 PM
The land of the free
and the home of the brave
yeahhhhhhhhhh
e don set
o set i go

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 06:30 PM
Just stumbled on this interesting statistics:

As at today 12/06/2010, Enyeama the Nigerian Goal keeper has scored more goals (9) for Nigeria than Emily Heskey has scored (7) for Enland.

interesting in'it?:biggrin:

Showcase
I'm one of those who didn't believe we were going to win. I really wasn't surprised we lost. Enyeama was just fantastic. I lost count how many goals he saved. That odemwingie and Uche were not it. Martins and Ayegbeni were a good combination we didn't make good use of. Often, I saw 3 or 4 of our boys together the same time with the ball. What happened to spreading out? Anyway, we'll see how the next two matches will go.

In all sha, I think they did well. There were a few magical moments towards the end of the match and after Martins came in. There is still hope.

Ajibs
One last comment on good coaching decisions. When Taiwo got ingured he was replaced by an Attacking Midfielder / Striker and Keita took up Taiwo's position, not a like for like replacement. And as we saw, Uche had an immediate impact on the game, missing the equalizewr for shich he should be spanked...

Go USA jare...where is my TV set?

Shinycoin, tank you tank you, but my vote has always been for Siasia, but it seems Lagerback is doing just fine...

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
Imagine
England has scored already
This is outrageous
and my household is rejoicing?

oluomo
Jun 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
First Blow Gerrard 3 min on the dial. It's going 2 be a long night guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ajibs
Jun 12, 2010, 06:37 PM
Oh nooooo! Haba USA!

shinycoin
i swear dem go take goals spell USA today.
Atleast naija wait reach 6 minutes before dem score us!!!

England 1
USA 0.

more to come.

valteena
England's Gerald just scored making it the fastest goal of the tournament. Where is Auspy? This is just the begining. You guys ain't seen nada yet.

Come on England!!!!

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:38 PM
First Blow Gerrard 3 min on the dial. It's going 2 be a long night guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow
Olu this na ya eyes?
longest time

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 06:38 PM
Now England has the fastest goal!!!!!!

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Auspyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wey ya face!!!! I no tell you??

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

He is somewhere crying
don't rub it in

Auspicious

Lalakokofefe leave me o. Leave me o!

Ehn-hen.
--

Bunch17
Imagine
England has scored already
This is outrageous
and my household is rejoicing?

If it takes USA using F16, F14 etc to win this, let them use it. I don't care, provided it saves me from humiliation.

Come on USA!

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:42 PM
Who is that Onyewu guy playing for the USA
Traitor
Doesn't he know his father's compound?

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 06:42 PM
Just stumbled on this interesting statistics:

As at today 12/06/2010, Enyeama the Nigerian Goal keeper has scored more goals (9) for Nigeria than Emily Heskey has scored (7) for Enland.

interesting in'it?:biggrin:

This is football. statistics == Irrelevant. :)

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Lalakokofefe leave me o. Leave me o!

Ehn-hen.
--

Heheheheheheh.....:D:D:D:D:D

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
The USA will score....

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 06:44 PM
The USA will score....

You wan bet?

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:44 PM
If it takes USA using F16, F14 etc to win this, let them use it. I don't care, provided it saves me from humiliation.

Come on USA!

:lol::lol::lol:
let's keep praying

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
Oh those air horns are driving me nuts
somebody make them stop!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
i swear dem go take goals spell USA today.Wait-o. Not so fast.

Later

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 06:48 PM
Who is that Onyewu guy playing for the USA
Traitor
Doesn't he know his father's compound?

LOL!

Now that's funny! :lol:
--

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 06:52 PM

...except if it is the league table!

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
Are you now allowed to make substitutions in the first half?

Mikky jaga
Jun 12, 2010, 07:04 PM
I no wan spoil una fun, but after this game I go dream again and I go tell una how Eagle's next match go go.

But that Odemwingie, he don finish. Make he learn to respect his coach in future and not Oyibo na Oyibo.

NAR, Give me result, not theories.

The result be say Lagerbeer flunked his first match at the WC. Any other story na irrelevant.

First-lady
Jun 12, 2010, 07:11 PM
we have scored
God bless America!

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 07:11 PM
yes! yes! yes! yes!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 07:12 PM
N.A.R.,

You fit yab me all you want. You fit analyze the match all you want. The score still dey the same. Keep one thing in mind, though. A team's performance is 70 percent players/thirty percent coach.

Later

Ajibs
Oh Greene poor green!

Lalakokofefe
yes! yes! yes! yes!

Abeg, make we hear word jo!

First-lady
the kids are sad
I will starve these children o

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 07:16 PM

Yes! Yes!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 07:16 PM
i swear dem go take goals spell USA today.Hello.

Later

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
That Greene na bush fowl, he should be moved from the field, but no wahala, England will come roaring back for more goals!!!

Auspicious
The USA will score....

A Prophecy Come True..
--

shinycoin
Hello.

Later

hmm, bros, match still young o!!!

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 07:20 PM

Hear word?

Here's some word: YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY! :p
--

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
A Prophecy Come True..
--

Goal wey dem dash una.....

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 07:22 PM

Na so.

Just like we dash dem dat wan in 3 minutes, eh? :p

Showcase
Jun 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
This fiesta is throwing up a few surprises. England and USA tying so far. Unbelievable. Our boys should learn some lessons from the USA team. Look at where USA's goal was scored from. Keeper error, but if the guy didn't hit the ball, how could Dempsey have known the Keeper would miss it? Nigerians love to dribble everyone, including the goalkeeper.

Showcase
Jun 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
BTW, I'm the only one yelling around here. My neighbors must think something is wrong with me. When the cup finally gets here they'll know. :D:D;)

picato
Jun 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
England aint seen nothing yet! Anyone seen that look on Beckham face when USA scored. Pricey!

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 07:33 PM

They all count!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
hmm, bros, match still young o!!!I know. E no too young, though, and it's not like England has been that explosive/impressive.

Later

valteena
Jun 12, 2010, 07:36 PM

Lala goal na goal o. England had better come up with some good game o because the US have dominated the game and have more ball possesion despite England's early goal.

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 07:36 PM
The USA will score again....

Flipside: England bashing apart: That was a horror show from dem goalkeeper and I know how hurtful that can be..... :D :(

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
What miss by heskey lucky yanks

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 07:42 PM

Flipside: England bashing apart: That was a horror show from dem goalkeeper and I know how hurtful that can be..... :D :(

Meanings:

Daxpin is a keeper

Daxpin has had his fair share of clangers:D

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 07:44 PM
England need someone to get their foot on that ball and pass it, Gerard and lampard seem to be hoofing the ball all over the place. USA r passing the ball better..

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
That was a horror show from dem goalkeeper and I know how hurtful that can be.....Yes, and I wonder if that qualifies for the "we all make mistakes" cliche. I just don't think that's acceptable at any professional level, not to talk of world cup level. Poor guy. That will end up defining his career. Chai.

Later

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 07:49 PM
The USA will score again...

You hear that, Lala?

Dapxin has prophesized again.

Be Afraid English; Be Very Afraid.
--

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Onyewu no be nija boy? He's winning all the aerial battles. How did we miss that trick

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
Gaolie just redeemed himself. Never really thought he was a dodgy keeper until today..

Dapxin
Meanings:

Daxpin is a keeper

Daxpin has had his fair share of clangers:D

Yes. Indeed Daxpin - best Nigerian goalkeeper ever. I wonder how laggingbehind failed to spot him. :D :D :D

Auspicious
+

I actually thought he had lip-stick on.

Lennon with his busted lip, that is.
--

Lalakokofefe
Jun 12, 2010, 07:57 PM

Dapxin,

Abi you get one calabash for dere ni??? De way you dey make dis ya predictions....

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
+

I actually thought he had lip-stick on.

Lennon with his busted lip, that is.
--

I think busted lip man was Glen Johnson

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:03 PM

...except if it is the league table!

what! people talk about the truth, the truth and the truth. The league table in football, is the gospel truth.

:) :)

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
How did we miss that trick...because he's not playing in Europe. E don tey wey the bobo dey play for the US. I bet we'll not "miss the trick" after this.

Later

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
Onyeagwu == a mountain !

Terrific! focused ! and disciplined defending from him. I am absolutely impressed. Rooney's been outmarked so far.

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:16 PM
That Onyewu almost single handedly denied England victory. I don't think Capello bargained for him, cos he certainly has no answer for the giant of a defender.

Hmmmm!!

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 08:16 PM
US carry defense-o. No?

Later

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
10 seconds + 4 minutes of added time.

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Onyeagwu == a mountain !

Terrific! focused ! and disciplined defending from him. I am absolutely impressed. Rooney's been outmarked so far.

He's always been that way.

An impenetrable fence. 6 Foot 5. US' Austin Eguavoen.
--

wizard
Jun 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
...because he's not playing in Europe. E don tey wey the bobo dey play for the US. I bet we'll not "miss the trick" after this.

Later

Just looked up onyewu on wikipedia he seems to be at AC milan (although I never seen him play) and has had a stint at Standard Liege and Newcastle United. So he's very much on the european stage. He must have slipped under the radar or he simply chose to play for USA instead of nij. Sad loss nonetheless.

shinycoin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
Onyewu man of the match. He gave the US victory with his play.

A good game.

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 08:25 PM
Just looked up onyewu on wikipedia he seems to be at AC milan (although I never seen him play) and has had a stint at Standard Liege and Newcastle United. So he's very much on the european stage. He must have slipped under the radar or he simply chose to play for USA instead of nij. Sad loss nonetheless.

..or we did not have any clue!
How many players have the NFF let slip from their grips ? Several!

Showcase
Jun 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
USA held England down to 1-1. Fantastic. Comparatively, they did better than the Eagles, if you ask me.

Dapxin
Jun 12, 2010, 08:27 PM
For Once, I am American. God Bless the USA.

----

Thats how to kick-ass #england style. hehehehehe In football.

Rule one. Respect your opponent. Everyone plays and will play if you make them play.

Rule two: whatever happens Remember Rule one.

And Rule three. Play and hope for the best.

Showcase
Jun 12, 2010, 08:28 PM

With the politics of Naija football and the quota system, he probably wouldn't have made it. Do you have an idea how many talented players are begging to be utilized in Nigeria?

Uwaa Sef
Jun 12, 2010, 08:34 PM
...he's very much on the european stage.Thanks for the correction.

Later

Bunch17
Jun 12, 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the correction.

Later

You are still right, in that he played for USA before entering the European theatre

Ajibs
Jun 12, 2010, 08:41 PM
Are you now allowed to make substitutions in the first half?
Oga Lala
which kin question be dis? You no sabi soccer again? When did they not allow substitutions in the first half?

Exxcuzme
Jun 12, 2010, 08:46 PM
..or we did not have any clue!
How many players have the NFF let slip from their grips ? Several!

Onyenwu was unfortunately injured throughout the year for Milan. He promised to play for free this year. The TV commentators wanted to make him the goat if US lose. Trust Okoro courage, Onyenwu stood strong like an Iroko tree.....that is an American spririt Nigeria needs to learn!

Showcase
Jun 12, 2010, 08:47 PM
Enyeama...The Man of the Match (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-nigerian-keeper-hailed-for-thwarting-messi--fbintl_reu-worldargentinaenyeama_pix_tv.html)

JOHANNESBURG, June 12 (Reuters) - Lionel Messi saluted a "phenomenal" display from Vincent Enyeama after the Nigeria goalkeeper produced the performance of his life to deny the Argentine forward in their Group B game on Saturday.

"The goalkeeper was phenomenal," Messi said after Argentina were limited to a 1-0 win over Nigeria at Ellis Park with Enyeama producing a series of tremendous saves to thwart the world player of the year.

"He takes all the credit. We played a great game today and created a lot of chances. We just couldn't get the second goal."

Enyeama said he needed to put on the performance of his life to deny Messi a first goal at the tournament.

"It would be my best possible performance possible performance playing against the best possible player in the world, so it was my best," Enyeama told a news conference after he was named man of the match.

No Smoking
Jun 12, 2010, 08:56 PM
.....Trust Okoro courage, Onyenwu stood strong like an Iroko tree.....that is an American spririt Nigeria needs to learn!

But, why the Talibanesque bia-bia...:no:

Auspicious
Jun 12, 2010, 09:08 PM
Oga Lala
which kin question be dis? You no sabi soccer again? When did they not allow substitutions in the first half?

I guess he's asking because, twice now, 2 coaches have waited till beginning of the second-half before they effected changes in the team composition.
--

No Smoking
Jun 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
Substitution needs to be done cautiously. Too many & too early in the game, you may end up not having a spare goalie to replace an injured keeper, or other equivalent positions, and be forced to play the rest of the game a man short.

NextLevel
Jun 12, 2010, 11:38 PM
My personal notes:

1. As much as I would like to mock Lagerback (Lagerbehind or Lagerbeer to others), I must agree with some like NAR that this squad looked far better than the Nations Cup squads did under Amodu.

2. We are clearly missing Mikel Obi or a midfielder of his stature. If Haruna is really young, he can blossom into our next great midfielder. People who have not been following Nigerian soccer have been complaining and comparing this team to the 1994 World Cup team. They seem to forget that the 94 World Cup team had players who were some of the best players in their leagues (Yekini, Amokachi, Finidi, Okocha, Oliseh) and at least a couple of those were in the midfield. We have a good team now, but we don't even have our super midfielder.

3. I think that our game against South Korea will be the real test of whether we feared Argentina too much or we can do much more that play one strike soccer. I really think that this team, given the lack of a supermidfielder, should continue to play the one-strike soccer that it played today.

4. Why don't our boys take long distance shots? This is the world Cup so people will not let you dribble into the net so you have to test the keeper repeatedly. I must admit that Argentina refused to try long shots either so it goes both ways.

Anyways, all in all, a good showing by our boys. I think in not starting Odemwingie and Martins, Lagerback was going for athleticism over dribbling. Nsofor and Obinna are two of our fastest players and I think that must appeal to Lagerback. Hopefully, he has seen something which will help him find a better balance today.

My Saturday evening coaching is over. I don't think we have world beating talent on this team, but I think the team played relatively well today. Our defense is never going to be Italian and I will live with that.

Kenn
Jun 13, 2010, 05:44 AM

Nigeria vs Argentina: A Perspective

With the game against mighty Argentina on Saturday, June 12 at Ellis Park Stadium, the World Cup kicked off for Nigeria in earnest. Of course, we do not expect anything more than the usual sideline carping and precipitate mockery from the naysayers, but no true follower of the game is ruling Nigeria out right now after this first match. After all, the paper pundits, talking heads and football blogosphere had earlier swarmed us with predictions of a ruthless massacre of the Eagles by the La Albiceleste and in fact, the betting fraternity had odds as long as the Wall of China! Yet, what we got, even though it's officially a loss, is more a salute to discipline and organization than the predicted rout.

It must have surprised friends and foes alike that everyone who put on the Nigerian shirt in that game pulled their weight for 90 minutes. True, Argentina beat us; but they only did because they had man for man, mostly the better quality on the pitch. Nonetheless we did credit to ourselves with a determined display. Indeed, after watching Lars Lagerback's men in this first competitive outing, I have reasons to believe we can win our next two group games and roll into the second round - that is if we learn the lessons of this defeat and work hard as we did against Argentina. Here is a team that had to change coach late and which didn't have anything close to an ideal preparation for the World Cup. Here is a team that Shaibu Amodu drowned in low confidence. Here is that same team putting up a credible display against Argentina, one of the favourites of the tournament.

I am particularly happy that we did not have any Keystone Cops stuff from our defence, despite the lone goal. The problem we had was of a far wider technical nature than naivety at the back. We didn't mark the Argentines very well and we didn't put pressure on them as much as we should. Our zonal markings didn't work and even though in the second half we got closer to them, it was obvious that we couldn't keep the ball or build play from midfield. Carlos Tevez and Lionel Messi had too much space to play with and it is a miracle that we weren't punished more for this. Actually, I would have preferred playing five in midfield (because of the absence of Mikel Obi) and one upfront, at least in the first half, rather than try to match the Argentines 4-3-3 formation or play a traditional 4-4-2. This is not exactly advocating that we park the team bus or the aeroplane in front of our goal. However, considering that our job was certainly not to outplay them, but to stop them from playing and where possible try to nick a goal or more on the break, a more cagey start would have been ideal. We should have worked harder and closely to prevent any early goal, because the longer the game goes without that goal, the more desperate the favourites would have become and the more chances that we would have been able to get something from the game.

Dickson Etuhu is one of our big players, but he needs to take more leadership role. He is solid, but not inventive and in the role he plays, he holds the key to much of how we build our play. I think he is too laid back for a defensive midfielder. At 19, Lukman Haruna is not quite the finished article, but I still believe he's the best young defensive midfield talent from Nigeria. He showed heart in this match, but he was outthought and outmuscled throughout the game. He's obviously one for the future. The Argentines had Mascherano and the veteran Juan Veron as midfield anchormen, two men whose greatest attribute is not pace. Thus, an extra man in midfield with a little bit of pace would have neutralised their guile and caused them real problems. But again, when I look in the squad, it's quite difficult seeing anyone with the necessary quality of a ball-fetcher, tempo-controller or natural midfield leader for the near-libero role. Therefore, to an extent, I can understand why the coaches opted for three upfront. I mean, I don't know the facts about fitness or preparation of the players, but it would be nice to have a much more robust midfield against the pacy South Koreans. As a corollary to this, I would say our boys were poor readers of the game against Argentina. Many a time, Yakubu and Odemwingie would cross from the by-line into a vulnerable Argentina box, but there would be no midfield runners to just touch the ball and guide it into the back of the net.

One thing we also didn't do was put enough pressure on the Argentines' right side manned by the inexperienced Jonas Gutierrez. True, the Newcastle man has some pace about him, but he was easily the poorest ‘defender' on the pitch, being essentially a winger playing as a makeshift right-back. Walter Samuel was in no great shape either. Perhaps if Obafemi Martins and Peter Odemwingie had started, we might have had better luck against that shaky Argentine defence. But we really can't say. The coach is the one who has been in camp with the boys and only he and his team know who is mentally and psychologically prepared to start on the occasion. However on the evidence of second half, Martins and Odemwingie are better starting the next game than Obinna and Ogbuke. Yeah, Ogbuke is a powerful player, but he lacks mobility and vision. Odemwingie holds the ball better and brings more people into play. Another thing the coaches need to work on vigorously is our general set-piece play. Though I believe the Argentina goal came via the individual error of Obinna who couldn't properly mark Heinze; it's still worth noting that it came by way of a set-piece. In terms of our own set-piece attack, I think we need some others to step up apart from Taiwo. No doubt, Taiwo has a fiercesome shot, but he's got no sense of delivery.

After all the games so far, Vincent Enyeama is proving to be the goalie of the tournament with his magnificent display against the rampant Argentines. His one-handed save against Messi shortly before the goal was world-class and so were his 14th minute snuffling out of the on-rushing Argentine, his close-range save from Higuain in the 20th minute and his last-gasp save again from Messi in the dying minutes amongst several other high-class saves throughout the game. In short, the man who saved our blushes more than merits the Man of the Match award ahead of the diminutive wizard, Messi.

Finally, I end this by noting that I have heard growls from the pseudo-patriots who think that an Amodu's team would have done better. As usual, they're in La La land. Though I am only a fan of football and not an expert, one thing I am convinced about is that if the boys had put in the kind of effort they put in against Argentina in the games at the African Nations Cup, we would have gone farther than the clueless Amodu took us. So, true patriots need not be distracted by this momentary setback. There is still all to play for in the next two games. If we get our act together against Greece in Bloemfontein on Thursday, then we will be back in it strongly, no matter what happens between the South Koreans and Argentina. There's still hope, people! Let's keep the flag flying! Let's encourage Nigerian fans on the ground there in South Africa to raise the roof in our next game! Let's all get behind the boys!

Soar, Eagles! Soar!

Auspicious
Jun 13, 2010, 06:06 AM
..Here is a team that Shaibu Amodu drowned in low confidence.-------------------- the clueless Amodu.....

Auspicious Howls:

Ouuuurooooooow!

Mikky Jaga they are calling you o!

Ouuurooooooooow!

:p :p :p
--

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 08:47 AM
N.A.R.,

You fit yab me all you want. You fit analyze the match all you want. The score still dey the same. Keep one thing in mind, though. A team's performance is 70 percent players/thirty percent coach.

Later

Uwaa Sef,
There is no need for us to argue any more, we shall watch and we shall see. One more thing for you to ponder on. Argentina scored after 5 minutes in the first half. So the "bad" defense of Nigeria aided mightily by the outstanding goalkeeper kept the Super Powered Argentine strikers and midfielders out of the goal for over 89 minutes.

Odinaka
Jun 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
I was a bit disappointed with how we played in the first 20 mins or so of the first half, but was later comforted with our efforts towards the end. I guess it's still possible to pick the second spot, that is if I can comfortably assume that South Korea will not beat Argentina. I still can't understand why Odemwingie didn't roll the ball across the face of the goal for an unmarked team mate. That shows it only takes a split second of decision to make or mare a good opportunity. I didn't expect any thing from Chidi Odiah because I have never rated him as in any way close to good. That he dances makosa on the pitch doesn't make him a good player. Uche Kalu, oh, what a mixed feelings. First he made a creative move (one of the very few we could boast of) that started the flow and then ended up wasting the resultant opportunity, just at the end point. Considering that he seems to posses a bit of creativity, I would consider starting him in the next game if I were the manager. I would like to see Taiwo take better free kicks, with Haruna being urged to go forward the more, which means stripping him of some defensive duties. Well, I guess the coach knows better and will come up with the best approach. Am I the only one wondering why Adeleye (or is it Adeleke) did not start in place of ****tu?

Just finished watching the first half of Slovenia vs Algeria and can't help wondering why Europe should be commanding such a large percentage of world cup teams. Slovenia look rubbish, Greek the other day only woke up to play towards the end of the game. Could something else be the matter, considering that Slovenia stopped Russia from making it to the tournament?

England vs USA, it could have been worst had Altidore's shot not come off the cross bar. I feel for Green, that error was too embarrassing.

@ Kenn, don't forget we have an unfinished business o!

Mikky jaga
Jun 13, 2010, 12:39 PM
EXCUSE FOR FAILURE

Son, upon all the money spent to prepare you for this exam you still failed ehn? Ah! Daddy the exam tough o! In fact many pundits thought I would get F9 parallel, but thank God for little Messi, I managed to get one Credit.

But, son, I hired a foreign teacher for you at a great cost, I do not expect all these excuses from you. Daddy, but I had one Credit now, that is no failure!!

Yeye boy, na your mama you go resemble, comot from here make we hear word. All your mates wey no get person to spend huge amount on them were having good results, all ya own na to find excuse why you failed. I no know who introduced you to Lagerbeer at this age.

Ishola Taiwo
Jun 13, 2010, 12:41 PM

Nigeria vs Argentina: A Perspective

Finally, I end this by noting that I have heard growls from the pseudo-patriots who think that an Amodu's team would have done better.
Soar, Eagles! Soar!

:D :D

Please, can someone help Kenn compose some music to go with these fine lyrics? Could be the new national anthem...:lol:.

Kenn, I want you to start thinking now about the excuses you will make after we all see that the most your man Lagerlager can accomplish is the worst Amodu would have done - i.e. out at qualifying stage.

I bring this up now as a favour to you. I want to give you enough time to think on the next set of fine lyrics that you will sing on this NVS to defend StarLager.

Start tinking now!! No wait until South Korea beat una (and una struggle to draw wit Greece) before you begin find esplanation...:lol:

If I no see you here immediately afta your Sukpa Higgles comot from dis world cup (in disgrace), I go phone you!! And if you no pick up de phone, I go send you text every five minutes....kai!! I am feeling sorry for you already...:sad:

Mikky jaga
Jun 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Another African team lost by the odd goal. Shame, the keeper flunked what could have been a deserved draw.

Dapxin
Jun 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ghana! looks promising... :)

Mikky jaga
Jun 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
Goalless, so far. Not good enough.

Showcase
Jun 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
Ghana, if you ask me, played better game than Nigeria so far. So many exciting moments in their game.

DeepThought
Jun 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Kenn will never dissapoint....I'm here with my conducting wand:

Dooo ree miiii....

we do not expect anything more than the usual sideline carping and precipitate mockery from the naysayers
Faaaa sooooor laaaarrrr....

It must have surprised friends and foes
Tiiiii....DDDDDOOOOOOEEEEEEEE!!!!!
:D

I didn't watch the tin so I 'm not here to comment either way or to spoil your fun O, its just I couldn't resist having a little fun with Kenn.

Odinaka
Jun 13, 2010, 02:54 PM
Ghana! looks promising... :)

They just need to get a goal.

shinycoin
Jun 13, 2010, 03:23 PM
The Ghana match looks too evenly matched so far. They both look dead-locked, just one error from either side will decide the outcome!

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 03:31 PM
Bye bye sir! Ghana can win this game! Big blow for Serbia. To loose a defender. Not good.

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
Take that penalty calmly! This is a good gift!

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!!!!!!! Ghana WILL win this game! Serbia was another great team on paper with the likes of Stancovic from Inter, Vidic from Man U and Ivanovic from Chelsea. Yet Ghana has kept them in check. Way to go Ghana!

Showcase
Jun 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Ghana has done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Showcase
Jun 13, 2010, 03:56 PM
The Ghana match looks too evenly matched so far. They both look dead-locked, just one error from either side will decide the outcome!

I thot so too. I think this is the best match of the tournament so far. Evenly matched teams. Excitement all the way. That is soccer. Unfortunately, Serbia lost a man towards the end of the second half to the second red card of the tournament. Up Ghana!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odinaka
Jun 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
Fantastic Ghana! Just another win vs the Aussies n they are through.

Odinaka
Jun 13, 2010, 04:04 PM
Take that penalty calmly! This is a good gift!

There couldn't have been a better gift.

Individual mistakes can have dire consequences. Algeria were doing well against Slovenia until some guy decided to play handball, and the ref saw it, and the rest is history. Then the Algerian goalkeeper decided to compound their woes by "scooping" the ball into his own net. The Serbian defender, knowing he was already on a yellow, committed another avoidable bookable offense.

Dapxin
Jun 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
I thought the refs should be congratulated for a brilliant call for the penalty.

Ghana flies.----------------------> next ?

shinycoin
Jun 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Interesting that the Ghanaian coach is a Serbian. That gives Ghana an edge going into the game with Serbia, plus good team work and team cohesion, which only comes when you play together as a unit.

Great job Ghana for lifting the African spirit and making us proud. I see them going on to the elimination rounds and beyond, they have a pretty balanced team, even without Essien in midfield!!

Exxcuzme
Jun 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting that the Ghanaian coach is a Serbian. That gives Ghana an edge going into the game with Serbia, plus good team work and team cohesion, which only comes when you play together as a unit.

Great job Ghana for lifting the African spirit and making us proud. I see them going on to the elimination rounds and beyond, they have a pretty balanced team, even without Essien in midfield!!

Interesting the Serbian coach is not happy Ghana won, plus he had to dismissed congrats hugs from his Ghanian coaches and players.

"Black men you are on your own'! (quoted by someone here by Biko?)

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
I guess he's asking because, twice now, 2 coaches have waited till beginning of the second-half before they effected changes in the team composition.
--

Auspi,
Most coaches wait till half time and in most cases between the 65th and the 75th minute to make changes. This is not due to any law, but tactics. As we know you have only 3 substitutions for the entire game. Any good coach keeps his substitutions open in order to obtain maximum benefit from them. Players on the pitch could get injured or get sent off dramatically impacting your team's ability to perform, as we saw Ghana tun on the heat on Serbia after their man was sent off.

Secondly, you make your changes later in the game as by say about the 70the minute, your initial players will have begun to tire and are not as sharp on the pitch. Bringing on new payers at this times does two major things: 1. Fresh legs allows the new player to play at full strength for anyhwre from 15-30 minutes of the game at a time when the defense he is facing is also tiring. Your subs would be expected to have a much higher work rate 2. The new player frequently serves an adrenaline boost for the tiring players knowing they can count on him to be at full strength and you can also change your tactics at this point.

So on the flip side when you see coaches making changes early in the game, especially in the first half in most cases the changed player picked up an injury that prevented him from maximum performance. In a few cases when the player changed looked completely out of the game, a coach decides to make the move early to make a point to the player that he has underperformed drastically and also to ensure that player does not affect the performance of the rest of the team.

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 05:18 PM
My personal notes:

Anyways, all in all, a good showing by our boys. I think in not starting Odemwingie and Martins, Lagerback was going for athleticism over dribbling. Nsofor and Obinna are two of our fastest players and I think that must appeal to Lagerback. Hopefully, he has seen something which will help him find a better balance today.

Oga Next,
Good analysis, but I think you ment to say Nsofor and Obasi, as Nsofor and Obinna are one and the same! Nsofor needs to put on a good performace as he has fizzled out somewhat and is not on a good club team. I think his team Malaga was relegated though I believe he was there on loan from Inter.

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 05:53 PM
Spot on analysis Oga Kenn master of the epistle. I wonder why Mikky Jaja and Uwaa Seff have not yet responded. Anyhow, some quick comments:

I am particularly happy that we did not have any Keystone Cops stuff from our defence, despite the lone goal. The problem we had was of a far wider technical nature than naivety at the back. We didn't mark the Argentines very well and we didn't put pressure on them as much as we should. Our zonal markings didn't work and even though in the second half we got closer to them, it was obvious that we couldn't keep the ball or build play from midfield. Carlos Tevez and Lionel Messi had too much space to play with and it is a miracle that we weren't punished more for this.

I am not so sure it was a problem of space but more of the fear of Messi. Whenever he got the ball, you would find Keita, Etuhu and sometimes Haruna all on him, in order to neutralize his ability same thing when Tevez got the ball, hence this allowed pockets of open spaces in the midfeild in which the Argentines took maximum advantage of the game. You rightly noted the need for Etuhu to step up his game, so that on his own, he can keep players in check without the necessary assistance from team mates. Again as you noted this is another reason we miss Mike Obi.

Actually, I would have preferred playing five in midfield (because of the absence of Mikel Obi) and one upfront, at least in the first half, rather than try to match the Argentines 4-3-3 formation or play a traditional 4-4-2. This is not exactly advocating that we park the team bus or the aeroplane in front of our goal. However, considering that our job was certainly not to outplay them, but to stop them from playing and where possible try to nick a goal or more on the break, a more cagey start would have been ideal.

I do agree that a 4-5-1 formation should have been better, but if this is the case then Yakubu would not be the striker. I would advocate for Martins, Nsofor and even Obasi before him. Simply put Yakubu does not have the pace to hit back on the counter. I was actually surpised to see both Veron and Jonas in the team. Here is a team that kept out Cambiasso and Zanetti. (they are not even at the World Cup) Either those selected are in super form or Maradona made a BIG mistake. And he kept Milito on the bench till the seond half...hmmm...

We should have worked harder and closely to prevent any early goal, because the longer the game goes without that goal, the more desperate the favourites would have become and the more chances that we would have been able to get something from the game.

I think you are right here. I wonder if John Utaka with his recent form should not be given a chance, especially against South Korea. He used to be quite a pacy striker

Dickson Etuhu is one of our big players, but he needs to take more leadership role. He is solid, but not inventive and in the role he plays, he holds the key to much of how we build our play. I think he is too laid back for a defensive midfielder. At 19, Lukman Haruna is not quite the finished article, but I still believe he's the best young defensive midfield talent from Nigeria. He showed heart in this match, but he was outthought and outmuscled throughout the game. He's obviously one for the future.

Etuhu to me was almost a dissapointment, BUT I prefer him over Olofingana whom I believe did not make the team right? Etuhu needs to shake his nerves and take over that midfield, or Odemwingwe should start as an attcking midefielder playing both behind the stikers and on the wings. Then Etuhu can happily sit in defense. Haruna for me seems like the next Okocha or Oliseh. I wish him the best and hopes this competition can move him to a good team. Where does he play now France or Belgium I think?

I think we need some others to step up apart from Taiwo. No doubt, Taiwo has a fiercesome shot, but he's got no sense of delivery.

Taiwo worries me. It just looks like he is never at his full potential for Nigeria. This is a guy who is the vice captain at Marseille and was instrumental to them winning the league so he should be in top form and now he may actually be injured.

Finally, I end this by noting that I have heard growls from the pseudo-patriots who think that an Amodu's team would have done better. As usual, they're in La La land. Though I am only a fan of football and not an expert, one thing I am convinced about is that if the boys had put in the kind of effort they put in against Argentina in the games at the African Nations Cup, we would have gone farther than the clueless Amodu took us. So, true patriots need not be distracted by this momentary setback.

Tell them! tell them, hopefully Mikky Jaja and Uwaa Sef are reading and will simply get behind the team.

Soar, Eagles! Soar!

ABI O!!!

Kenn
Jun 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
EXCUSE FOR FAILURE

Son, upon all the money spent to prepare you for this exam you still failed ehn? Ah! Daddy the exam tough o! In fact many pundits thought I would get F9 parallel, but thank God for little Messi, I managed to get one Credit.

But, son, I hired a foreign teacher for you at a great cost, I do not expect all these excuses from you. Daddy, but I had one Credit now, that is no failure!!

Yeye boy, na your mama you go resemble, comot from here make we hear word. All your mates wey no get person to spend huge amount on them were having good results, all ya own na to find excuse why you failed. I no know who introduced you to Lagerbeer at this age.

Papa, I thank God say na my mama I resemble and no be you, because you be real olodo rabata papa! You no know book and you no know anything about football....

I thank God for my mama O!

Kenn
Jun 13, 2010, 06:30 PM

Eja,

You certainly are not a pseudo-patriot, because I happen to know that you are a super-patriot. But sadly you know nothing about football and your simplistic notions are beneath debate. Ordinarily, at this point, I am enjoying the tournament too much to waste my time teaching you the ABC of the matter; but, you see, I'm a very kind man and that is why I will reluctantly explain things to you. Again.

Just as I have explained consistently in the course of our engagement over the issue, I don't have to give any excuse if the Super Eagles do not win one game in South Africa. The players that are there are not just manufactured by Lagerback. They are the same players we have always had. His mandate is to work with what he has, organise them into a team, imbue them with confidence and get them to begin to play some respectable football. Of course, anyone can dream of winning the World Cup and that is all it is – a dream. Whoever wins will only be fulfilling a dream and the rest would go back to try another day. That's just the nature of football and it will never change as long as the game is played.

You see, football is about several things; it's like life. When you are on the pitch against Goliaths, you think like a David. When you are beaten, you think like an Abraham Lincoln. When you win, you joyfully open the next page, having made your mark in history. If you have been following, you will notice that the national mood now over our Eagles is one of quiet confidence about the team under Lagerback. People understand the defeat; but they see a different team from the rabble Amodu showcased the nation. People are actually now canvassing that whatever happens, Lagerback should be given more time with this team, because for the first time in a long time Nigerians are beginning to see a team with discipline and commitment where everyone fights for each other. True football followers are beginning to see the difference a coach makes in a team and the debate is moving now towards stability and harnessing of available talent. People now recognise that it is beyond the World Cup. It is about saving our football and one part of that equation is in place – a respected coach that the players want to play for and who, even as this is his first competitive game and with little or no preparation, is showing that he is the man to take us forward.

So, celebrate our return when we eventually get knocked out; you will not get any excuse from me, because what I have here in the article above is not an excuse. It is a true fan's view of his team's performance against another and that performance gives him hope. I am happy I'm not the only one thinking this way. After all, football opinion is like an arsehole and everyone's got one......

CHEERS!

Kenn
Jun 13, 2010, 07:13 PM

NAR,

Haruna plays for AS Monaco in France.

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Germany seems to be the most exciting team so far! Two goAls already past Australia! They are playing like a very cohesive team. Australia is relying too much on the offside flag to their peril. By the way another goal keeping mistake. If you come out and go for the ball, you must win it. Sad from a veteran like Schwatzer

Ajibs
Jun 13, 2010, 07:29 PM

NAR,

Haruna plays for AS Monaco in France.

Yes I just found that out. Interestingly I saw that the Yak appears to be the most expensive Nigerian player at 14 million pounds. Even ahead of Mikel and Martins!

Ahhh Cahill off! Bad referee that's not a red card! Germany is just cutting the Aussies defense like butter!

Showcase
Jun 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
In Germany, I see a team to beat for this World Cup. It will take the dumb penalty kick they narrowly avoided to make them lose it. BTW, this officiating is the worst I have seen so far. The center referee does not seem to know what he's doing.

Showcase
Jun 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Where will the Germans stop? 4-0 already. The highest goal margin so far. Poor Aussies. May Nigeria not meet these Germans o. They turned the Aussies to puppets on the pitch. Wetin?

Auspicious
Jun 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
..Germany is just cutting the Aussies defense like butter!

LOL!

Interesting Analogy.
--

Dapxin
Jun 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
When the Eagles drank Lager Beer..

from Yeepa! Online Magazine by Breezi iLL Breeze

Walahi I don’t like football. Contact sport is my thing. No, I meant the other contact sport. So yeah the Super Eagles had this match wiv’ Argentina a few minutes ago and I had the very rare opportunity of watchin’ it sandwiched between Calabar folks.. Ya’ll need to hear how they pronounced ‘Odemwingie’ and ‘Aiyegbeni’…
In other news, I was mad the hyped match ended 1 nil in the Argentines favor.. So Yeah I pinged the blasted coach..

Breezi: Ping!
Lagerback: Hey Kid!

Breezi: Hey Lager Beer!
Lagerback: Er…Lagerback

Breezi: You know why I’m pingin’ u yeah? 1 Kondo?! Why now?
Lagerback: It was a fantastic game actually. The Eagles were..

Breezi: ..the eagles were runnin’ up and down the field like horny Cockerels yes?
Lagerback: Sorry?

Breezi: I was finishin’ your sentence. I mean you were paid to work and not come and be romancing that blasted pole.. The only hard work u did was clap your hands and play jangilova with your Goitre!
Lagerback: Really? You’ve been…er…stalkin’ me?

Breezi: *blank stare*…I know you’re a blonde and all but…er…
Lagerback: Listen kid, I did my job ****in’ job! The Eagles didn’t do theirs! Save Enyeama and Zobo.. Sorry I meant Zoro.. Gosh! Yobo I mean.

Breezi: Opelope Enyeama, your cousins for don spell your name today. And you ****in’ brought in Odemwingie late! I dunno wuh that mallam called Kaita was playin’.. U af **** up jare..
Lagerback: I know you expect a lot from me but I did my best.

Breezi: Yeah right.. You guyz almost gave Maradona an heart attack.. Especially that blasted Uche! Why did you bring him in sef? You forgot the saying: No dey look Uche face?!
Lagerback: Yeah I’m sorry.. But hey Messi was quite Merciful don’t you think? Up Barca!

Breezi: *[Insert BBM Waka Smiley]*
Lagerback: *BBM cool smiley*

Breezi: Odensin ni e shaa walahi..! In other news, WTF was Taiwo playin’?! He jus’ kept Lago-ing..
Lagerback: Who?

Breezi: Taye Taiwo..
Lagerback: Er…

Breezi: Taiwo, the black dude.
Lagerback: The short one?

Breezi: Ode! No! That’s Martins.. Taiwo is the other one.. The one that looks like the Devils’ Phallus.. The Marseille player..
Lagerback: Oh! Yeah…Er…forgive me I haven’t memorised all their names. So what happened to him?

Breezi: *BBM straight face*.. Go and pack!
Lagerback: Done.

shinycoin
Jun 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
Where will the Germans stop? 4-0 already. The highest goal margin so far. Poor Aussies. May Nigeria not meet these Germans o.They turned the Aussies to puppets on the pitch. Wetin?

LMAO!!

could it be possible the Germans wanted to remind the Aussies they did not come to play Rugby world cup and should please not try and scoop up the ball and run with with it :D:D:D:D.

Dapxin
Jun 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
+_

Here comes the Fox Oracle.

I am actually liking this guy - He calls it, as he sees it. No diplomacy buull****e. Refreshing.

Still. fC!ck him.
---------------

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-argentina-looks-like-world-beaters-in-win-over-nigeria-061210

Argentina looks like world-beaters in win

<!-- esi: /module/MP2/20028/14801301/194/0/0?categoryId=194--><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="/fe/js/jQuery/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></SCRIPT><LINK rel=stylesheet type=text/css href="/fe/css/multimediaCP.css"><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="/fe/js/multimediaCP.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://images.video.msn.com/js/ch/Channels.js"></SCRIPT><!-- photo --><!-- if we have photo caption add 'caption' to the class list--><!-- if we have photo caption add 'caption' to the class list-->
<!-- Blurb div -->Gabriel Heinze's header in the sixth minute keys Argentina's 1-0 win over Nigeria. <!-- Needs to come from BE -->

<!-- video --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> $(document).ready(function() { //get parameter from BE new fsMedia.MultimediaCP(".fs-multimedia-cp", {pageName : 'Story' }); }); </SCRIPT><!-- gallery -->

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fsc/img/2009/12/18/Jamie_Trecker_Writers_20091218130724_0_0.PNG (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/writer/Jamie_Trecker)

Jamie Trecker is a senior soccer writer at FoxSoccer.com. A working journalist for 25 years, he covers the Champions League, European soccer and the world game for FoxSoccer.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer).

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/spacer.gifPRINT (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-argentina-looks-like-world-beaters-in-win-over-nigeria-061210#)http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/spacer.gifEMAIL (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-argentina-looks-like-world-beaters-in-win-over-nigeria-061210#)http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/spacer.gifRSS (http://msn.foxsports.com/rssfeeds)http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/spacer.gifADD THIS (http://addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=xa-4acf7eca462bf235)

23 comments » (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-argentina-looks-like-world-beaters-in-win-over-nigeria-061210#tb)

<SCRIPT>fsMedia.setHeaderCaptionSeparatorHeight();</SCRIPT><!-- esi: /module/STORYDETAIL/20028/14801300-->Updated Jun 12, 2010 9:30 PM ET
Three big games kicked off the second day of World Cup play with South Korea and Argentina looking surprisingly dominant in wins, while a disciplined USA side held a poor England team to a 1-1 draw.

GROUP B (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/groupb)

Sat., Jun. 12
South Korea 2-0 (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/matchtrax?gameId=2010061210235) Greece | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/south-korea-blanks-greece-in-group-b)

Argentina 1-0 (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/matchtrax?gameId=2010061210235) Nigeria | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/argentina-earns-world-cup-win-over-nigeria-in-group-b-opener)
Thu., Jun. 17

Argentina vs. South Korea<!-- | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/Toronto-FC-0-0-Kansas-City-Wizards)-->

Greece vs. Nigeria<!-- | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/Toronto-FC-0-0-Kansas-City-Wizards)-->
Tue., Jun. 22

Nigeria vs. South Korea<!-- | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/Toronto-FC-0-0-Kansas-City-Wizards)-->

Greece vs. Argentina<!-- | Recap (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/Toronto-FC-0-0-Kansas-City-Wizards)-->
Standings (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/groupb) | Map (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/map) | Scoreboard (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/scores)

Argentina today served notice that despite the drama, it is a team to be reckoned with, dispatching Nigeria in the most lopsided 1-0 win one could imagine. Had it not been for the acrobatic heroics of Israel-based keeper Vincent Enyeama, Nigeria might have lost by double digits.
The goal came early after a sustained burst of pressure from the kickoff that saw Lionel Messi pulling the strings. Gabriel Heinze, inexplicably left all alone on an Argentina corner, snapped the ball home with an almost textbook header that glanced off the pate of Chidi Odiah.
The game was only six minutes old.
Argentina, which limped through qualifying and has been notably disorganized under Manager Diego Maradona (a man for whom the sobriquet “character” is insufficient), showed up today as arguably the tournament’s toughest, best-organized and most dangerous team. It was a shocking transformation, but hardly unexpected given the depth of talent and class on the roster.
That class shoved Nigeria into an untenable position: Forced to watch as the passes whipped around and past, the Nigerians kept eight men behind the ball, not a one confident enough to commit. At times the match took on the air of a training ground, with the Argentines attempting to thread graceful passes at oblique angles while a stunned, green-clad back line wondered what menace lay behind them.
Truly, had it not been for Enyeama and a couple of poor finishes, Nigeria would have been crushed early; Argentina could have been up 3-0 in the first six minutes.
<SCRIPT language=javascript src="/fe/js/jQuery/jquery-1.3.min.js"></SCRIPT>
FOX SPORTS POLL

<FORM id=_pollaction accept-charset=utf-8 method=post name=f1 action=/module//pollaction;jsessionid=A79AB79794C5B8A02B57C125CF07 F758><INPUT id=pollName type=hidden name=pollName><INPUT id=componentName value="061210 Argentina poll" type=hidden name=componentName><INPUT id=domain value=foxsoccer type=hidden name=domain>
Were you impressed with Argentina's performance?

<INPUT class=answer-selector value=67971 type=radio name=answer> Yes, they looked solid
<INPUT class=answer-selector value=67972 type=radio name=answer> No, they were disappointing
</FORM>

<SCRIPT>; $(document).ready(function() { new fsMedia.Poll('#poll_11304202'); });</SCRIPT>
The disappointment over Nigeria’s effort cannot be understated: The team looked ramshackle and cowed by the spectacle. Many thought African teams would get a lift from playing on their home continent, but Nigeria seemed to wilt under the kliegs. Reduced to persistent fouling, gifted two no-calls on clear penalties, and unable to control the ball through midfield at all, Nigeria was but the foil to Argentina’s master class. (Kai! Kaaaaaaaaaai! Super Eagles ??? , O ma se o.)
The day’s opener was a surprisingly energetic contest in which South Korea ran all over a tired, weak-looking Greek side. Getting the first win of the World Cup, an organized, aggressive Korea won 2-0 behind goals from Lee Jung-Soo and Park Ji-Sung, and might have had a few more.
The Koreans displayed an impressive maturity, controlling every aspect of the game from the kickoff and daring an aging Greek side to keep up. It couldn’t, and by the 25th minute it was obvious that Otto Rehhagel’s men were out of gas.
Based on their performance, the Greeks may soon be out of the tournament. In contrast, South Korea looks like it can compete in this Group B; any team that fails to present an organized defense may be hard-pressed.
The eagerly anticipated nightcap featured the USA playing a shockingly poor English side off the pitch, but the Americans were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw.

DAY 2 AT THE WORLD CUP (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/gallery/Day-2-at-the-World-Cup)

Sit down, relax on Saturday and enjoy the world's greatest sporting event as day two at the World Cup (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/gallery/Day-2-at-the-World-Cup) is presented in all its vibrant colors.

England opened the scoring early on a bad mistake when Emile Heskey wrong-footed a series of American players off a throw-in to find Steven Gerrard for the opener in only the fourth minute.
But the Yanks swiftly recovered and throttled the space, neutralizing the feared Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney. The Americans were gifted the equalizer when Robert Green allowed Clint Dempsey’s shot to trickle through his gloves and into the back of the net in just the latest in a series of memorable English goalkeeping disasters.
On the balance, the Americans outworked, outthought and outplayed an English side that looked nervous and unimaginative. That said, the USA rarely went forward and was perfectly content to nick the point ahead of meetings with Slovenia and Algeria.
England has a dump truck full of questions to answer after this one, starting from its nets all the way up the field. The attack was static; the defense easily breached. As a team with dreams of reaching the finals, England should be badly shaken by this encounter.
As for the USA, it sits pretty, and fans should be impressed to see the organization and drive that the Americans demonstrated in flashes at last year’s Confederations Cup once again on display on the big stage.

USA vs. England (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/gallery/United-States-vs-England-World-cup-photo-highlights)

The most anticipated soccer game in American history is in the books as the USA drew with England (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/gallery/United-States-vs-England-World-cup-photo-highlights) in Rustenburg, South Africa.

Tomorrow

Group C rolls on with Algeria vs. Slovenia (7:30 a.m. EDT) followed by a Group D doubleheader: Serbia vs. Ghana (10 a.m. EDT) and Germany vs. Australia (2:30 p.m. EDT) Away from your TV? You can follow all games live right here on FOXSoccer.com and on Twitter (follow @championsonfox).
Must-see TV

Match of the Day is Serbia vs Ghana: This one could be a real battle. Nemanja Vidic is expected to start, meaning the Serbs have no injury woes. Ghana is missing Michael Essien and may struggle, but we still expect African teams to get a boost, so watch for Steven Appiah and Sulley Muntari to step up. Should be a thriller.

The other two? Not so much. The opener looks like a stinker, but USA fans should note that Algeria and Slovenia’s match can have direct bearing on how far the Yanks go. (Hint to USA fans: Root for the Desert Foxes in this one). Robert Koren is the key man for the Slovenes; Algeria is missing keeper Faouzi Chaouchi and defender Nadir Belhadj because they picked up cards in the African Nations Cup. Oy.

Germany vs. Australia looks lopsided on paper. The Aussies have a lot of heart, but even their coach, the caustic Pim Verbeek, says his boys are sub par. (German coach Joachim Loew is even more acid, telling the press that “Australia will offer everything but spectacle.” Ouch.) Expect Josh Kennedy to be the lone man up top for the Roos as they try to hold off Sami Khedira, Miroslav Klose and Bastian Schweinsteiger. Good luck, Oz.

Auspicious
Jun 13, 2010, 11:17 PM
+

Sourced from Dapxin's link; I think it should be shown in full.

I consider this a brutally honest appraisal of the match.

PS: I hope this is not the same reporter who dissed Eagles recently.

--
Argentina today served notice that despite the drama, it is a team to be reckoned with, dispatching Nigeria in the most lopsided 1-0 win one could imagine. Had it not been for the acrobatic heroics of Israel-based keeper Vincent Enyeama, Nigeria might have lost by double digits.

The goal came early after a sustained burst of pressure from the kickoff that saw Lionel Messi pulling the strings. Gabriel Heinze, inexplicably left all alone on an Argentina corner, snapped the ball home with an almost textbook header that glanced off the pate of Chidi Odiah.

The game was only six minutes old.

Argentina, which limped through qualifying and has been notably disorganized under Manager Diego Maradona (a man for whom the sobriquet "character" is insufficient), showed up today as arguably the tournament's toughest, best-organized and most dangerous team. It was a shocking transformation, but hardly unexpected given the depth of talent and class on the roster.

That class shoved Nigeria into an untenable position: Forced to watch as the passes whipped around and past, the Nigerians kept eight men behind the ball, not a one confident enough to commit. At times the match took on the air of a training ground, with the Argentines attempting to thread graceful passes at oblique angles while a stunned, green-clad back line wondered what menace lay behind them.

Truly, had it not been for Enyeama and a couple of poor finishes, Nigeria would have been crushed early; Argentina could have been up 3-0 in the first six minutes.

The disappointment over Nigeria's effort cannot be understated: The team looked ramshackle and cowed by the spectacle. Many thought African teams would get a lift from playing on their home continent, but Nigeria seemed to wilt under the kliegs. Reduced to persistent fouling, gifted two no-calls on clear penalties, and unable to control the ball through midfield at all, Nigeria was but the foil to Argentina's master class.
--

Dapxin
Jun 13, 2010, 11:25 PM
I hope this is not the same reporter who dissed Eagles recently

Yes Boss. He was. I have for you Mr.

<OBJECT class=sIFR-flash classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 width=953 height=37 sifr="true">

</OBJECT>Jamie Trecker

<!-- If writer page, photo is before bio -->http://static.foxsports.com/content/fsc/img/2010/04/05/Writer_Trecker_20100405144503_0_0.JPG
Jamie Trecker
Jamie Trecker is a senior soccer writer at FoxSoccer.com. A working journalist for 25 years, he covers the Champions League, European soccer and the world game for FoxSoccer.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer).
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/Story/rss.jpg (http://msn.foxsports.com/feedout/syndicatedContent?authorId=10613394) RSS (http://msn.foxsports.com/feedout/syndicatedContent?authorId=10613394) http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/Story/digg.jpg (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php) add this (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php)

Auspicious
Jun 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
+

LOL!

Oh my gawd it's him?

The guy wicked nor be small. LOL! LOL!
--

Auspicious
Jun 14, 2010, 12:13 AM
+

For the kind of comment made by Dickson Etuhu, he should be benched for the rest of the tournament. That is now how a winner speaks; he sounds like a coward making belated excuses for his failures.
--

World Cup 2010: Nigeria's Etuhu rues poor preparation
Sunday, 13 June 2010 | BBC Sport

<table align="right" border="0" cellspacing="5" width="27%"> <tbody><tr bordercolor="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td height="21">
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/images/etuhu-%20%2026-10.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>
*LISTEN TO ETUHU BLOWING FORNEH HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737694.stm).

Nigeria midfielder Dickson Etuhu has revealed his frustration at a lack of high-altitude training prior to their 1-0 defeat by Argentina on Saturday.

"You could tell [Argentina] were used to it because they'd been there for quite a while," he told BBC World Service's Sportsworld programme.

"You take five or six steps, you feel like you've just done a whole lap."

He also described the controversial ball as "the worst ball ever", saying that it was "horrible" to play with.

The Super Eagles lost out to an impressive headed goal from un-marked Gabriel Heinze in the sixth minute of the game.

However, Nigeria managed to keep Argentina from adding to their lead for the entire game, despite having their goal peppered throughout much of the match.

Etuhu says the high-altitude conditions made the hard task of containing Argentina all the more difficult.

In the run-up to the first game the Nigerians had been training in Durban - which is not a high-altitude venue - before travelling to Johannesburg on Friday, giving the squad only one day to acclimatise to the conditions.

"It's the worst feeling ever," he said. "It goes straight to your head.

"So you have to battle with that, and at the same time deal with players like Messi. It's not easy."

He said keeping players like Messi under control is impossible given the depth of Argentina's squad.

"The problem is it's not just him - you've got Tevez, you've got Higuain, you've got Veron.

"There's so many of them so you can't really pick anyone up, you have to just mark the spaces.

"I had to watch the game pass by me and just cover holes rather than having a player that I was playing against ."

As well as battling with the high-altitude and the high Argentine ability, Etuhu says the match ball - which has come under heavy criticism since being unveiled by Adidas - makes things even more difficult.

"When the keeper kicks the ball out, you can't head it. If the balls in the air you just don't know where it's going to go. It comes towards you and then just moves to the left or to the right."

Heading into their next game in Group B against Greece, Etuhu praised the influence of coach Lars Lagerback, who took over the Super Eagles in February.

"Usually when I play for my country it's not as organised as it was yesterday (Saturday).

"We didn't go out there to just play we actually had a game plan and we stuck together. For the first time in a long time you could see that we had some sort of coaching."

And he says the loss will have no impact on their game plan for the group stage.

"Nobody expected us to beat Argentina. Nothing's changed. We just have to prepare ourselves right and go and play with the same heart and desire."
--

Uwaa Sef
Jun 14, 2010, 05:15 AM
EXCUSE FOR FAILURE

Yeye boy, na your mama you go resemble, comot from here make we hear word. All your mates wey no get person to spend huge amount on them were having good results, all ya own na to find excuse why you failed. I no know who introduced you to Lagerbeer at this age.Mikky jaga,

Go on, abeg.

Later

Uwaa Sef
Jun 14, 2010, 05:20 AM
One more thing for you to ponder on. Argentina scored after 5 minutes in the first half. So the "bad" defense of Nigeria aided mightily by the outstanding goalkeeper kept the Super Powered Argentine strikers and midfielders out of the goal for over 89 minutes.N.A.R.,

What's your point exactly?

Later

Mikky jaga
Jun 14, 2010, 07:49 AM
The disappointment over Nigeria’s effort cannot be understated: The team looked ramshackle and cowed by the spectacle. Many thought African teams would get a lift from playing on their home continent, but Nigeria seemed to wilt under the kliegs. Reduced to persistent fouling, gifted two no-calls on clear penalties, and unable to control the ball through midfield at all, Nigeria was but the foil to Argentina’s master class.

"I had to watch the game pass by me and just cover holes rather than having a player that I was playing against ."

Forced to watch as the passes whipped around and past, the Nigerians kept eight men behind the ball, not a one confident enough to commit.

The video training plus the OPTA test is taking its toll already. The player confessed he was just watching the ball on the field, while the commentator declared that the Eagles were a spectacle on the field watching as the Argentines were whipping passes round and past them.

Only Kenn, after an overdose of Lagerbeer, is seeing things differently.

Ishola Taiwo
Jun 14, 2010, 07:51 AM

Eja,

You certainly are not a pseudo-patriot, because I happen to know that you are a super-patriot. But sadly you know nothing about football and your simplistic notions are beneath debate. Ordinarily, at this point, I am enjoying the tournament too much to waste my time teaching you the ABC of the matter; but, you see, I’m a very kind man and that is why I will reluctantly explain things to you. Again.

Just as I have explained consistently in the course of our engagement over the issue, I don’t have to give any excuse if the Super Eagles do not win one game in South Africa. The players that are there are not just manufactured by Lagerback. They are the same players we have always had. His mandate is to work with what he has, organise them into a team, imbue them with confidence and get them to begin to play some respectable football. Of course, anyone can dream of winning the World Cup and that is all it is – a dream. Whoever wins will only be fulfilling a dream and the rest would go back to try another day. That’s just the nature of football and it will never change as long as the game is played.

You see, football is about several things; it’s like life....

Kenn thanks for the compliment but, the point of football sah, is to score more goals than your opponents. If you cannot do this - if even before the match starts you know you cannot do this, then at least make sure that the match is all you lose. Do not lose matches and, lose money (as Nigeria is currently on track to do).

Patriotism sah, is no reason to support an end-product of incompetence and corruption. Me ah no be one of dis peepul wey go siddon all day inside toilet because "de s**t na mai s**t".

No, if it stinks, den I will walk (or run) away from it ASAP...:lol:

Football is about one thing: Winning. And even if I know nothing about football (as you say..:wink:), I will still prefer to take my lessons about the game from persons who are acknowledged football greats...:eek:

Like Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, former German International and current football administrator. In a TV interview at the beginning of this World Cup, he said (and I paraphrase), "German footballers are taught to win. This is all that matters. Our first priority is not to entertain; we are there to win....that is all we think about...."

See, that right there is what football is about. You play because you want to win. And all teams who have succeeded over long periods of time have done so because they had this ethos. They do not trouble their brains thinking about the "several things" that football is about. The only thing that matters is winning. There may be several tactical changes that the team can make to cope with the differing styles of their opponents, but the objective remains one. Win.

Start with this as the sole aim and you may end up with the kind of team that Germany has brought to this World Cup: Winners who are also entertaining.

Those who are criticizing the current NFA set-up are doing so because it is clear that no one in the Naija footballing administration has any concern about doing what it takes to create a national team that is driven by this hunger for victory. The annoying thing is that we have seen Nigerian teams who had this spirit in the past but, as the amount of perks available to officials (and players) has increased, so has the quality of the teams deteriorated.

Football at the so-called national level now seems to be mainly about satisfying the personal agenda of several individuals (who are often working at cross purposes).

Whenever it comes to the World Cup, you are guaranteed to hear stories about officials squabbling with players over money (or something to do with money). And look at this one - 100s of parasites (AKA government functionaries) have seized the opportunity to enjoy 'free' holidays in South Africa.

How many of them showed any prior interest in the team?

And how competently/conscientiously did they attend to the task of getting the team ready?

The answer to that last question is in the quality of what represents Nigeria on the football pitch as we speak.

And I am suppossed to support this team? No sir. I wouldnt waste my energy backing a product of incompetent corrupt hyenas. That would make me an accomplice to their nonsense.

Make una keep una Supka Higgles. Yes, for the first time in my life, I watched a Nigeria match and I felt nothing. This is not my team. In fact, I am henceforth a German....or South Korean...:lol:

And when your Supka Higgles go out after this round, the question will still remain: what was the point of sacking Amodu when his replacement could do no better than the worst he would have done?

You are talking now about the players being the same - una no know dat before una sack Amodu? I mean, common sense alone should have made people realise that if the coach is only as good as the team, then there is no point sacking the coach only to keep the same team.

If the NFA was seriously seeking change, then we should have seen a significantly different team (from the one Amodu had) at this World Cup.

In short, Nigeria might as well have played out the hand it had and then rebuilt the whole damn thing after the tournament.

Mikky jaga
Jun 14, 2010, 08:05 AM
Amodu, others hit South Africa

Posted: 2010-06-13 08:49

Former Super Eagles coach Shuaibu Amodu and others appointed by the Nigeria Football Federation to serve as Ambassadors of Nigeria football at the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals in South Africa arrived on Saturday morning.

They were among about four dozen stakeholders of the Nigeria game who stormed Johannesburg on Saturday morning ahead of the day's explosive match between Nigeria and Argentina at Ellis Park.

Amodu was at the stadium to watch the Eagles lose 0-1 to Argentina, and returned to his hotel immediately after.

Former captain Christian Chukwu was lively as he joined everyone at the Protea Hotel Wanderers of the team hours before the big game.

Chukwu, nicknamed ‘Chairman', captained Nigeria for six years and led the team that won Nigeria's first African Cup of Nations title in Lagos in 1980.

There was also former midfield workhorse Garba Lawal, who played at the 1998 and 2002 World Cup finals. He scored a goal against Spain at the 1998 finals which drew Nigeria level with the Spaniards, before Sunday Oliseh's rocket won the three points for the Super Eagles.

Former goalkeeper Ike Shorounmu, who was number one at the 2002 World Cup finals, the last time Nigeria took part in football's biggest showpiece, also arrived.

Chief Jonathan Ogufere, a former President of the West African Football Union also hit town alongside FIFA Referee Advisor Linus Mba, and former WAFU chieftain and CAF match commissioner Austin Akosa.

Colin Udoh

NFF should not have allowed Amodu to represent Nigeria in SA. These peeps do not know how spiritual things work. But, do they have any choice? Amodu had a contract that extends till the end of the WC and they just have to accommodate him one way or the other.

With Amodu in SA, Lagerbeer can redeem himself by consulting him on how to win either of his two remaining matches. I believe Amodu will be magnanimous enough to help.

Kenn
Jun 14, 2010, 08:21 AM
Eja, from your last post, it is obvious you will never understand football and, sadly, I can't help you any further. But, again, this is just your own opinion and you're entitled to it.

Kenn
Jun 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
Fox Oracle? I just wonder how far people will go to scratch for negatives....

Ishola Taiwo
Jun 14, 2010, 08:34 AM
Eja, from your last post, it is obvious you will never understand football and, sadly, I can't help you any further. But, again, this is just your own opinion and you're entitled to it.

:D :D

Kenn, if na to "understand" laik your Supkpa Higgled self, den you are probably right. I do not. But if de football wey we dey talk about na real football laik de one my dear triumphant Germans dey play, den I must laugh at you in my Bavarian accent :

:lol: :lol: :lol: = "hin hin hin...."

Dapxin
Jun 14, 2010, 08:40 AM
Fox Oracle? I just wonder how far people will go to scratch for negatives....

Negative sha ?

The negatives are already self evident. If anything, we are in search of the +ves. And we lost 0-1 first game Nothing else matters. Nigeria lost.

This is the worldcup and not some weekend football cup final. Winning is all that matters.

Dapxin
Jun 14, 2010, 08:41 AM
Nigeria's NFA are a bunch of dimwits. All of them

No point trying to rationalise them. Its impossible.

Dapxin
Jun 14, 2010, 08:43 AM
"Usually when I play for my country it's not as organised as it was yesterday (Saturday).

"We didn't go out there to just play we actually had a game plan and we stuck together. For the first time in a long time you could see that we had some sort of coaching."

And he says the loss will have no impact on their game plan for the group stage.

"Nobody expected us to beat Argentina. Nothing's changed.

This guy - like his football - is a mediocre! enuff...

Tola Odejayi
Jun 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Sukpa Higgles' - priceless!

Only the God of Nigerian Soccer (who magically deflects balls away from our net so that we don't lose by more than one goal) knows where you dig up these names, Eja!

Kenn
Jun 14, 2010, 10:59 AM

Eja,

Your last comment changes nothing. If anything, it reinforces my view that you know very little about the psychology of sports nay football. You don’t understand the earlier comment I made in response to you and you’ve learnt nothing from Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, because if you did, you wouldn’t be coming up with some of the things you’re saying here. The divide is too wide to bridge and I just will not continue with the attempt to help you bridge it. I think you're better left believing what you believe. Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.

Nonetheless, I'll enjoy watching you dump your newly-acquired Bavarian accent and, of course, your hype-induced support for your new national team whenever they get dumped out of the competition WITHOUT WINNING the ultimate price. And please, when that happens, I hope I wouldn’t be hearing you offering any excuses for your beloved Germans then....

Auspicious
Jun 14, 2010, 12:30 PM

For the record, some of us are still Auspiciously committed to seeing our Super Eagles fly and soar against all odds. Yes, we are bold enough to admit that the initial game against Argentina left a lot to be desired but we've moved on.

I personally believe it was a sloppy game we had - that the boys were more talented than what they delivered. And yes, we still cannot fathom why the duo of Odemwingie and Martins were not featured from the start of the game by the techies.

But we remain steadfast in our belief nevertheless - that the Eagles are more than capable to deliver. And we are holding out hope until the very end. We stand by our Eagles, warts and all. What has begun must be accomplished, D.V. It is well.

Good Morning, and have a nice week all! :)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/beoxxms9Wec&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>
--

Ishola Taiwo
Jun 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Sukpa Higgles' - priceless!

Only the God of Nigerian Soccer (who magically deflects balls away from our net so that we don't lose by more than one goal) knows where you dig up these names, Eja!

Shoko, you only have to look at the lumbering moves as well as ideas to realise that all these people don "sukpa" (in spirit if not in flesh).

Na wetin be de English name for dat disease sef? I for say "elephantiasis of de blokos" but am sure there is a more scientific term. Kenn, ah beg you sabi de word?