PDA

View Full Version : Denzel's Movie "The Book Of Eli"

valteena
Jan 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
I just watched Denzel Washington's new flick in which he played a lone warrior who fights against all odds to bring civilization the knowledge that could be the key to its redemption and save the future of humanity.

The film to me is one with a profound story line and such action packed raw violence that exposes man in his most primitive form. A true "state of nature violence where live is brutal, short and nasty. Where only the fittest and meanest survive and even that isn't a given.

Brilliant acting by Denzel as usual. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Mind you I am biased here as I am a big big Denzel fan and would love and enjoy any flick by irrespective of how fantastic or not it is.

http://thefastertimes.com/film/files/2010/01/denzel-washington-in-the-book-of-eli.jpg

Lalakokofefe
Jan 24, 2010, 01:33 AM
Interesting Valteena. I too thought i would go see it, but after reading the review here (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/14/ew.review.eli/index.html?iref=allsearch), i thought hmmm......

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the movie ...?

valteena
Jan 24, 2010, 08:33 AM
Interesting Valteena. I too thought i would go see it, but after reading the review here (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/14/ew.review.eli/index.html?iref=allsearch), i thought hmmm......

Bearing in mind that I am not an objective accessors here because of my love and hero worship of Denzel;) I would give it 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

On a serious note, its a great film and Denzel's performance is impeccable as to be expected of him. So go watch it, you'll like it.

The film is reported to have debuted with an impressive $31.6 million ticket sales in its first week in US and Canada alone and took the top spot from "Fox’s Avatar" on Friday. That should tell how it is rated.

Big-K
Jan 24, 2010, 02:38 PM
I saw the movie last night and I really like it, not just because its Denzel, but for its deep spiritual meaning. This movie attempts to answer the question of "Whats the meaning of Life", Why do we exist? We've always known the answer lies in the BOOK OF LIFE, but we keep seeking for other meanings. This serves as a reminder to return to the source of it all. If I'll be stranded on an Island with just one book, I surely know the one I'll take. On a personal note, the movie ties in very well with my Bible in a year project.

In another sense, the movie reminds of the Transporter movies where a man dares everything that'll stop him from delivering goods from point A to point B.

Overall, for me, this is a 3.5 out of 5!

However, I will not be surprised if the movie is slammed by Hollywood and its writers - just like Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ (2004)" was slammed then. Glorifying God is not a too popular idea in today's liberal society.

NextLevel
Jan 24, 2010, 05:09 PM

I use a movie critic to assess how closely his views correspond to mine and see whether his view will predict my experience at a movie. I like Owen Glieberman in general, but I wouldn't cite his review in particular as an authority on why I or anyone else should or should not see a movie. I would definitely sample rottentomatoes.com if that was what I was looking for, but even then, I'm the kind of moviegoer that enjoyed Fantastic Four because it was faithful to the cheesiness of the comic book but it was panned heavily by critics who wanted something as sophisticated as Spiderman.

NextLevel
Jan 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
I saw the movie last night and I really like it, not just because its Denzel, but for its deep spiritual meaning. This movie attempts to answer the question of "Whats the meaning of Life", Why do we exist? We've always known the answer lies in the BOOK OF LIFE, but we keep seeking for other meanings. This serves as a reminder to return to the source of it all. If I'll be stranded on an Island with just one book, I surely know the one I'll take. On a personal note, the movie ties in very well with my Bible in a year project.

In another sense, the movie reminds of the Transporter movies where a man dares everything that'll stop him from delivering goods from point A to point B.

Overall, for me, this is a 3.5 out of 5!

However, I will not be surprised if the movie is slammed by Hollywood and its writers - just like Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ (2004)" was slammed then. Glorifying God is not a too popular idea in today's liberal society.

The Passion of the Christ received mixed reviews - it's the kind of movie you either love/respect or the kind of movie you hate - very few inbetweens. Rottentomatoes.com has it at 50%. If the movie was as slammed as you claimed, it would have been closer to 20%.

valteena
Jan 24, 2010, 05:50 PM
The Passion of the Christ received mixed reviews - it's the kind of movie you either love/respect or the kind of movie you hate - very few inbetweens. Rottentomatoes.com has it at 50%. If the movie was as slammed as you claimed, it would have been closer to 20%.

The movie did get mixed review and actually did well at the box office. I think it was more Gibson's percieved anti semitic utterances and DUI that got him the very negative media and nearly turned him into a pariah more than the flick.

DeepThought
Jan 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
I like Denzel too and if the movie does indeed touch on existentialist questions in a non superficial/stereotypical way, that would be good. Maybe I'll make time to catch it tonite or next weekend...

As for beliefs and religion, haba! what are you belivers complaining about? You have it good O!

Spare some sympathy for unbelivers who have to endure assails from all directions from theists!

NextLevel
Jan 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
The movie did get mixed review and actually did well at the box office. I think it was more Gibson's percieved anti semitic utterances and DUI that got him the very negative media and nearly turned him into a pariah more than the flick.

That was part of it, but another part of it is that the movie is extremely violent and you might not feel that kind of violence/art if you don't share the same emotions about the subject matter that others do. You might even be more repelled by it and find it manipulative or just plain disgusting. If it wasn't Jesus being beaten, what would you call that kind of movie?

nijalaw
Jan 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
I use a movie critic to assess how closely his views correspond to mine and see whether his view will predict my experience at a movie. I like Owen Glieberman in general, but I wouldn't cite his review in particular as an authority on why I or anyone else should or should not see a movie. I would definitely sample rottentomatoes.com if that was what I was looking for, but even then, I'm the kind of moviegoer that enjoyed Fantastic Four because it was faithful to the cheesiness of the comic book but it was panned heavily by critics who wanted something as sophisticated as Spiderman.

I avoid movie critics or reviewers like a plague. Many a times I found myself being too judge-mental especially when the reviews are negative & this spoils my movie experience. The beauty or rottenness of a movie is in the sights & sounds of the beholder. I've not watched the "Book of Eli" but will when it hits the screens in Nija. It's already tallied 62million USD in the USA in it's second week only & should cross a $100 million in it's fourth week which is a good thing.