PDA

View Full Version : Serena Back At No 1

valteena
Oct 6, 2009, 11:32 PM
Serena Williams put herself back on top of the world with a routine win at the China Open in Beijing on Tuesday.

But Andy Roddick and Jelena Jankovic plumbed the depths when their title defences ended in their opening matches.

Williams' 6-3, 6-2 second-round victory over Ekaterina Makarova means she will replace Dinara Safina as world number one when the rankings are issued next week, ending the Russian's controversial 25-week reign.

Her fellow American Roddick, however, was humbled 6-2, 6-4 by Polish qualifier Lukasz Kubot, while Serbian Jankovic, nursing the wrist injury that forced her to retire from the final of last week's Pan Pacific Open, lost 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 to China's Peng Shuai.

Safina's defeat to 226th-ranked wildcard Zhang Shuai on Monday had left the way open for Williams to return to the number one spot and she never looked like blowing her chance.

The second seed was broken in her first service game and made a meal of her last but converted her fourth match point to seal the victory, raising a single finger in the air in celebration of her return to the top.

Maria Sharapova, who was handed her first title since her return from injury when Jankovic withdrew in Tokyo last Saturday, mounted a sensational fight-back from 5-2 down in the third set to beat ninth seeded Victoria Azarenka 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5.

The 15th seed was forced to come from behind time and again in a match that featured 16 breaks of serve and finally prevailed over the Belarussian after three hours.

Her fourth-seeded compatriot Elena Dementieva, who won Olympic gold in Beijing last year, beat Hungarian Melinda Czink 6-4, 6-3 to set up a round of 16 date against China's number one Li Na.

Spain's fifth seed Fernando Verdasco beat American Robby Ginepri 6-7 (7-9), 6-1, 6-2 and seventh seed Fernando Gonzalez also progressed with a 7-5, 6-4 win over David Ferrer in the men's first round.

- Reuters

:clap::clap::clap: You go girl

Auspicious
Oct 6, 2009, 11:40 PM
Serena Williams put herself back on top of the world with a routine win at the China Open in Beijing on Tuesday..

Did she ever leave in this first place?

Far as I am concerned, she remains Number 1. :wink:

http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/serena-williams.jpg (http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/serena-williams.jpg)

Mikky jaga
Nov 24, 2009, 03:28 PM
http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/serena-williams.jpg (http://digitalheadbutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/serena-williams.jpg)

There was this game we used to play when we were younger.

When will you marry?
This year,
Next Year,
Sometimes or never.

I think Serena and her sister should play that game in addition to Tennis.

valteena
Nov 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
There was this game we used to play when we were younger.

When will you marry?
This year,
Next Year,
Sometimes or never.

I think Serena and her sister should play that game in addition to Tennis.

Mikky Venus is 29 yrs old born Jun 17, 1980. Serena is 27 yrs old born September 26th 1981. They are still young enough to enjoy their youth and career before they loose it all to a man. That is what will happen the minute they tie themselves to a man. Yep I said it:D Down will go their career

Bunch17
Nov 24, 2009, 04:26 PM
Mikky Venus is 29 yrs old born Jun 17, 1980. Serena is 27 yrs old born September 26th 1981. They are still young enough to enjoy their youth and..................

........... represent Nigeria in the under 17?:D

Mikky jaga
Nov 24, 2009, 04:32 PM
Mikky Venus is 29 yrs old born Jun 17, 1980. Serena is 27 yrs old born September 26th 1981. They are still young enough to enjoy their youth and career before they loose it all to a man. That is what will happen the minute they tie themselves to a man. Yep I said it:D Down will go their career

27 and 29, what do you mean? They are too old already!!! The age for marriage in NYC is 13. Check it out.

valteena
Nov 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
27 and 29, what do you mean? They are too old already!!! The age for marriage in NYC is 13. Check it out.

Mikky since when did you become another Superego? oops!!! sorry super I didn't mean you:D. That's the age for dysfunctional, drop out girls to become baby moma. Not even to get married lol.

Well adjusted focused girls make something of themselves before tying themselves to a man lol and that doesn't happen at 13

Mikky jaga
Nov 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
Mikky since when did you become another Superego? oops!!! sorry super I didn't mean you:D. That's the age for dysfunctional, drop out girls to become baby moma. Not even to get married lol.

Well adjusted focused girls make something of themselves before tying themselves to a man lol and that doesn't happen at 13

I hear you o! But na so one of my sisters talk the other time, acquiring degrees one after the other, became successful in her career, but forty something now, going fifty, no hubby. Like Iye said, Time waits for no one.

With all their billions, na so so gigolos go dey eye them now.

valteena
Nov 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
I hear you o! But na so one of my sisters talk the other time, acquiring degrees one after the other, became successful in her career, but forty something now, going fifty, no hubby. Like Iye said, Time waits for no one.

Me I dey always say there is time for everything. Time to be born, time to grow, time to educate yourself or get a career, time to get married, time to have children, time to grow old, time to retire and so on. Se you get:D:D

lateesha
Nov 24, 2009, 04:57 PM
bikonu, is that her real backside or the picture is doctored ?
They don't look natural abeg

Mikky jaga
Nov 25, 2009, 03:19 PM

Natural? Me I don see backside wey heavy pass that one and I no be expert for that kain thing.

Iye
Nov 25, 2009, 03:44 PM

Which kin doctored…hit the gym o girl and watch your become like that:D

Iye
Nov 25, 2009, 03:47 PM

MJ…thou shall not copy right me without permission:eek:

Mikky jaga
Nov 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
MJ…thou shall not copy right me without permission:eek:

Sorry girl, I forgot my mannas:D

Iye
Nov 25, 2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry girl, I forgot my mannas:D

BTW…that not what am trying to say, I support Val:mad:

Mikky jaga
Nov 25, 2009, 04:05 PM
BTW…that not what am trying to say, I support Val:mad: