PDA

View Full Version : [Boko Haram] Boko Haram: FG Apologises To UN Over Killing Of Leader -

valteena
Aug 18, 2009, 04:16 AM
As Borno inaugurates investigative panel

The Nigerian government has formally apologised to the United Nations over the killing of the Boko Haram sect leader, Mohammed Yusuf, and reiterated its commitment to far-reaching investigation into the crisis caused by the Islamic sect, which claimed about 700 lives in the Northern part of the country.

The Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Roland Ewubare, made this known in Abuja, on Monday, when the Australian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Jeff Hard, called on him.

Ewubare, who claimed to be part of the government delegation to Geneva last Friday, added that the trip was at the instance of President Umaru Yar’Adua, who was said to have asked the delegation to assure the United Nations that those behind the alleged extra-judicial killing on Yusuf would be punished.

According to Ewubare, the delegation was led by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, with counsel for the State House as a member.

The delegation reportedly met with the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms. Navanethem Pillay.

Meanwhile, Governor Ali Sheriff of Borno State has inaugurated a 13- man committee to investigate the immediate and the remote causes of the Boko Haram crisis that engulfed the state recently.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/18082009/news/news9.html

emj
Aug 18, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hmmm, what a govt...apologizes to the UN, and not it's own people who were traumatized by it all. Investigate and punish indeed:p

valteena
Aug 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, what a govt...apologizes to the UN, and not it's own people who were traumatized by it all. Investigate and punish indeed:p

Emj dat won't be rebranding now afterall they're not trying to rebrand Naija to and for Naijas now. Rebranding is about looking good on the outside to the outsider, so why should they apologise to Naijas.

Abraxas
Aug 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hi, folks!

Why has the same Federal Government of Nigeria not found it necessary to apologize to the United Nations for the crimes against humanity directed by General Okikiolakan Olusegun Oni'ranu Aremu Alakori Matthew Sikuru Igbochukwu Obasanjo (GCFR), against the good people of Odi, Odiama, Okerenkoko, Gbaramatu Kingdom, and others?

Are some Nigerian lives more sacred than others?

Muchas gracias.

Don Juan-Carlos ABRAXAS (III)

chanchaga
Aug 18, 2009, 12:45 PM
What a country, EMJ, you hit the nail on the head, GBAM!!!!. When I think of vision 20 / 20 / 20, I laugh so hard but I have seen now that it is achievable because Nigeria made it to the 20th poorest nation on earth and the second most corrupt nation on earth next to Bangladesh (I wonder how their own be). They should have called it 'Confusion 20 20'

picato
Aug 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
Is this a sovereign nation? na wao! In all my years abroad, I am yet to see any other sovereign nation apologising to that toothless body rather they try, where there national interest is at stake, to undermine it. By doing this, those goons in power has shown, that the people of their country aint worth a dime, and that what matter is the impression they are able give off to the international observer.

yeye de boom boom for naija!