PDA

View Full Version : [Woman To Woman] Moin-moin

Anike
Mar 16, 2006, 02:02 AM
Moin-moin is one food that allows you to explore your creativity. There are several ways to make it in terms of ingredients to use; it's what works for you. This is how I make moinmoin.

Ingredients:

Beans
Liver
crayfish
dried shrimp
maggi (Know)
olive oil (or veg. oil if you don't mind the cholesterol)
onion
bell pepper
scotch bonet (fresh or ground)
salt (to taste)
black pepper (optional)
adobo
curry
Whisked egg (some people use boiled eggs but I don't see the point in using boiled eggs when you're still going to steam the egg for another 1 or so hour) Soak the beans in water for like 5mins or less. Be careful not to leave it in there until it gets soggy. Remove the coat by rubbing the beans between your palms. Decant to remove the coat. Repeat process until approximately 98.9% of the coats have been removed. Pour water on the coatless beans and use either a perforated spoon or your hands to scoop out the beans into another bowl (this is important in order to get rid of the weevils and/or stone particles in the beans). Blend the beans with bell pepper (just enough to give it the preferred redness), onion and your preferred number of scotch bonets if you are going with the fresh ones. (Do not add too much water, if it turns out you need more water, you can add more in the mixing process in multiple little quantities).
Pour product in a wide bowl and stir in one direction with a wooden stirrer (omo orogun). For good practice, you should stir all food mixtures in one direction as one of the reasons why we mix is to use air as rising agent so, if you incorporate air in one direction and then stir the other way, you are actually releasing the air and this may cause lumps. Mix until you see air bubbles on the surface. Add your whisked egg and your olive oil and continue to mix. Now add all you dry products(scotch bonet (unless you used the fresh ones), curry, adobo, black pepper, white pepper, salt) and continue to mix. Melt your maggi cube in a cup by adding hot water and pressing with a metal spoon; then pour in the mixture. Add liver, shrimp and crayfish and keep mixing. Mix till you're convinced that all the ingredients are evenly mixed ("reporting nicely").

Line your pot with 2 layers of aluminum foil and pour very little water in it. Put it on the cooker with very low heat.

Since we don't have "santana bags" (Remember those?), we're gonna have to use aluminum foil. How you wrap your moinmoin is very crucial. Cut out enough foil to fill twice plus half your average size. Fold in two halves and fold two of the three open sides severally and neatly. Pour your mixture in through, of course, the open side. I typically hold the cup I'm pouring from like 2 inches from the tip of the foil because my Mum taught me to do so. I have no idea why and never bothered to ask. Fold the only side that is not folded like one-two inches away from the mixture so that your moinmoin has enough room to rise. Put each wrap in a tray until you have all the mixture in wraps. (Do not put wraps on the cooker one after the other to avoid having some wraps cooked while the some are not). Pour enough water to completely cover all the wraps and put a layer of aluminum foil on it. Cook for 75mins.

Serve hot with garri without sugar plus ice cubes plus cold water (mmmmmmm....)

SNB
Mar 16, 2006, 03:39 PM
Me I no dey use Curry, black pepper or liver for my moin moin. This one na new thing. i sometimes add mackrel fish but one should always put plenty of onions in moin moin....it makes a difference. Another key ingredient I grew up with in moin moin recipe is to always add chicked stock to moin moin mixture.

The next day moin moin is even better than fresh off the stove.........just like jollof rice.

Anike
Mar 16, 2006, 03:53 PM
The next day moin moin is even better than fresh off the stove.........just like jollof rice. You're so right. Unfortunately, I cook for one who "can not eat a day old food". I tell him his days of starvation are nigh. Well, I can't really complain since he does the cooking at times. "Ebi ni o pa Ijesha to lo hun o je eko Oyo" (street:If hunger strikes bad enough, an Ijesha wo/man would be forced to eat Oyo's Porridge:lol: -If you needed it so bad, pickiness would not be an option)

I use mackerel at times. Love it.

moremi
Mar 16, 2006, 07:24 PM
My 2 cents
Another way to make sure that the moin moin does not get soggy if not properly wrapped in the foil is to first put the mixture in small ziploc bags then wrap it up in the foil paper. My favorite moin moin ingredient is corned beef but I try not to use too much because it is very fattening.

SNB
Apr 3, 2006, 08:05 PM
This post really make me wan eat moin moin. I'll balance it a nice bowl of pap...I favor the red one.

Now if only I could peel the beans fast enough.......first u must pick the stones, then you peel it...
African food so much process and time.......

Anike
Apr 3, 2006, 09:07 PM
Serious NB, most African stores do sell "picked" beans. You may pay like a quarter more though.

DoubleWahala
Mar 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
I miss moin-moin. I haven't had any in yonks! :p

Anike, I'll attempt this recipe of yours, this weekend. *gulp* :eek:

If you guys don't read any posts from me next Monday, presumably, I may have burnt down my house. :arrow:

DW

ISL
Mar 8, 2007, 12:34 AM
just be sure to stay off airplanes.............might not want a repeat of the last time you tried to cook beans

:biggrin:

Lymbic3
Mar 8, 2007, 12:46 AM
Fast forward to the 21st century: how to make moi-moi in 30 mins.

Anike - Forget about washing beans by hand. Dependent on the size of your blender, place some beans into the blender covered with water and use the "pulse" mode or stop/start at quick intervals.

voila - the skin is off. All you need to do is run water over the beans to get it clean. This is moi wife's method. Which is why it's a frequent meal in my home. Although she tends to use black eye beans.

Hope this helps.

DoubleWahala
Mar 8, 2007, 12:55 AM
Lymbic3,

In short, you're a hyper-modern man. :biggrin:

Thany you...I was just wondering about this business of "soaking",....when it is not garri, wey man wan drink. :wink:

On a serious note, how many fist-fulls (I dont have measuring cup) of beans do I need for about 10 medium-sized wraps of moi-moi?

DW

True Star
Mar 8, 2007, 01:04 AM
crayfish
dried shrimp
maggi (Know)

Moin moin is also very tasty with palm oil (red oil) and dried prawns ie. cray fish. Its the traditional method and very nice too.

crimsonbabe
Mar 8, 2007, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=Anike;94551]Moin-moin is one food that allows you to explore your creativity. There are several ways to make it in terms of ingredients to use; it's what works for you. This is how I make moinmoin.

Ingredients:

Beans
Liver
crayfish
dried shrimp
maggi (Know)
onion
bell pepper
scotch bonet (fresh or ground)
salt (to taste)
black pepper (optional)
adobo
curry
Whisked egg (some people use boiled eggs but I don't see the point in using boiled eggs when you're still going to steam the egg for another 1 or so hour) Soak the QUOTE]

Nice one!, I've never used liver instead typically use corned beef and definitely boiled egg. As a child, I loved putting them through the egg slicer:lol:

To make life easier, just use beans flour, they sell it in most African stores in the US and for those in London, its everywhere you buy African food like Peckham, Finsbury park and Harlesden. It cuts about 1 hr and a lot of mess from prep time and your Moi-Moi comes out the same. Add water to make it into a thick paste and add all your ingridents as per Anike or others. Lastly when cooking, use 9ja chewing sticks (if you have them) or chop sticks if like me, you order a lot of chinese:lol: . These will prevent burning since the foil or plastic will not be touching the bottom of the saucepan.

CB

Anike
Mar 8, 2007, 08:47 AM
If you guys don't read any posts from me next Monday, presumably, I may have burnt down my house. :arrow:
[...]
On a serious note, how many fist-fulls (I dont have measuring cup) of beans do I need for about 10 medium-sized wraps of moi-moi?

DW
If you've started on the Moin-moin, maybe we should be calling Sabelle to shelve his pastorial plans for now and dig out his fireman's license. Why? Because if you are planning to use your fist to scoop out enough beans for 10-medium sized wraps of moin-moin, I'm afraid you'll use a teaspoonful of water to cook the moin-moin. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I'll say "10-medium sized wraps" is relative. I'll use like 8-10 teacupfuls.

Eunique
Mar 8, 2007, 09:44 AM
To make life easier, just use beans flour, they sell it in most African stores in the US and for those in London, its everywhere you buy African food like Peckham, Finsbury park and Harlesden. It cuts about 1 hr and a lot of mess from prep time and your Moi-Moi comes out the same. Add water to make it into a thick paste and add all your ingridents as per Anike or others. Lastly when cooking, use 9ja chewing sticks (if you have them) or chop sticks if like me, you order a lot of chinese:lol: . These will prevent burning since the foil or plastic will not be touching the bottom of the saucepan.

CB

I think its better (dat is if you have the time o) to use the beans itself. Sometimes the bean flour they sell in some African shops are mixed with other kinds of flour (for quantity), so the moi moi doesnt come out as tasty as the original beans.

Anike
Mar 8, 2007, 04:46 PM
To make life easier, just use beans flour, [...]It cuts about 1 hr and a lot of mess from prep time and your Moi-Moi comes out the same.
I think its better (dat is if you have the time o) to use the beans itself. Sometimes the bean flour they sell in some African shops are mixed with other kinds of flour (for quantity), so the moi moi doesnt come out as tasty as the original beans.

I also think it is better to use beans. Maybe it's in my head, but I don't think it comes out the same way.

Fast forward to the 21st century: how to make moi-moi in 30 mins.

Anike - Forget about washing beans by hand. Dependent on the size of your blender, place some beans into the blender covered with water and use the "pulse" mode or stop/start at quick intervals.

voila - the skin is off. All you need to do is run water over the beans to get it clean. This is moi wife's method. Which is why it's a frequent meal in my home. Although she tends to use black eye beans.

Hope this helps.

Domestic man! I like that!. So, are you taken? My sisters here on NVS(even though we may not always see eye-eye) and I really wanna know so begin they speak.
This is moi wife's methodOuch! bye!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tick...tick...(5seconds later)...tickk... we're so over you already!

Forget about washing beans by hand. Dependent on the size of your blender, place some beans into the blender covered with water and use the "pulse" mode or stop/start at quick intervals. I know people who go that route but, don't you risk blending dirt with your beans though? Don't you think if you soak it well/long enough, that will save you some time and energy? I don't know. I'm just wondering.

Lymbic3
Mar 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Anike - The beans used is always packaged and without the usual sand/stone biz. I forgot to add; after removal of the husk, blend the washed beans with sufficient water to a consistency similar to that of a medium thick milkshake.

The secret to tasty moi-moi is lots of onions. Enjoy! :)

I know people who go that route but, don't you risk blending dirt with your beans though? Don't you think if you soak it well/long enough, that will save you some time and energy? I don't know. I'm just wondering.

On another note, I have always, when required mentioned my marital status.:D

SNB
Mar 9, 2007, 01:34 AM
I've never quite agreed with the blender method. It's faster for me to soak and use my hands. I'm a pro at it.

Now bean flour..that's a no, ain't nothing like the real ewa.

DW,
You can substitute Canola oil for OO.

CB,
Thank you, I use corned beef as well and boiled eggs but the main secret to making the best moin moin is onions. I also don't use smoked shrimp since it still has its shell.

CB,
Abeg give me ya own recipe for pepper soup.

Lymbic,
I like palm oil in moin moin only if I'm using banana leaves.

Anike
May 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
I like palm oil in moin moin only if I'm using banana leaves.

SNB,

They sell banana leaves in this country? Oh boy! I miss that "eko" (pap) that they sell in leaves men! My parents hated it so! My mum would rather we made the eko like two hours before we need it and refrigerate it. But it never looks same. But my grandma, bless her soul, would sha find a way of sneaking it in. Yekpa! With Ekuru (please don't give me that "ounje esu line"). God is good! But, I have my story of banana leaves that, I'm sure, will nauseate you (and is probably why my folks don't use it). There was this man who comes to tend to the garden every once in a while. This man inhales "taba" (snuff). He'll then blow his nose so loud and wipe his hand on a banana leaf. I can't imagine eating salted pap. Worse still, pap saltened by mucus. Yekpa! Sorry I spoilt your appetite. :p

Neophyte
May 28, 2007, 03:53 PM
OOOOO! This looks soooo good! Now-since I have no idea what this is but would like to make it (I am for anything with a lot of onions!) I have a few questions!:biggrin:
The Maggi cube-is that what we have here in the US and is like a soup base? Comes in chicken/beef/tomatoe? and if that is what it is, which do I use? It not...HELP!
Next...what is scotch bonet?
Then...the beans: what kind of beans do I use? And after the skins are off, do I blend then into like a pureed paste? Or use them whole?
And I didn't quite get how to cook it one they are wrapped in tin foil? Baked? Boiled?
thank you so much for answering these because they look wonderful - well except for the liver thing! :wink:
Ummm...can anyone put a picture in of what they look like when they are done???
thanks!

Marin
May 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
You can get dried already peeled beans in Finsbury park. All you have to do is then soak the beans till they are soft enough to be blended. That is much easier than peeling them myself, but since the beans are still whole I am sure that its actually beans and not something else. Personally, I don't like the already powdered beans.

hijabimuslimah
May 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
OOOOO! This looks soooo good! Now-since I have no idea what this is but would like to make it (I am for anything with a lot of onions!) I have a few questions!:biggrin:
The Maggi cube-is that what we have here in the US and is like a soup base? Comes in chicken/beef/tomatoe? and if that is what it is, which do I use? It not...HELP!
Next...what is scotch bonet?
Then...the beans: what kind of beans do I use? And after the skins are off, do I blend then into like a pureed paste? Or use them whole?
And I didn't quite get how to cook it one they are wrapped in tin foil? Baked? Boiled?
thank you so much for answering these because they look wonderful - well except for the liver thing! :wink:
Ummm...can anyone put a picture in of what they look like when they are done???
thanks!

It not only looks soooo good, it sure taste more than good(lol) and i bet you would love it. as per the maggi stuff, use beef. i dnt know what scotch bonet is either, Beans> use fresh dry beans (brownish in colour) you can get them in shops where african foods stuff are sold.you would have to blend the beans into puree paste. after blending, mix with water, not too thick and not too light as that might make it really messy, add all your ingredients and mix them into the already blended beans and wrap inside the foil. after wrapping in foil, you then transfer into a pot for cooking but if u have a steamer, just put water in the base pot, put your wrapped moin-moin in the steamer and cook for about 30 mins or thereabout.

emj
May 29, 2007, 01:08 AM
We call it Ata-Rodo,it is very hot, you have to use sparingly ---be careful with it.
I was able to get a picture of it for u....here goes:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/s.shtml?scotch_bonnet_chillies

Myne Whitman
May 29, 2007, 02:04 PM
Well I guess I have to eat moi moi soon

its good to be in this village...

AfricanChiquito no.1
May 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone,
Have you ever tried cooking Moin2 in the oven? i find it very convenient, but the top always dries out. Do you have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? thanks

hopenjoy
Jun 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
for moimoi lovers who wish to get it done faster, instead of using powdered beans, here is what i do, wash and peel a lot of beans and freeze or sundry, whenever you feel like its moimoi u want just soak in warm water for a few minutes and blend. the dried one needs to be soaked for like an hour. in the dry form, beans can last several months.

techsista
Jun 3, 2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that tip - since I hate cleaning the beans, I do several bags of Goya black-eyed peas at once and freeze the cleaned beans. It makes life much easier. For the person who asked about baking - I stopped doing that because the top always got dry even when I covered it with tin foil. I found these non-stick metal cups (about muffin size) at a Walmart in NY that come with a plastic cover. They stack and steam it well, with no mess and the moin-moin just slides out, so it is easy to clean and reuse the cups.

BTW, hello from Bahia, Brazil, home of the best akara (acaraje they call it) outside Naija. I'm really gbadun-ing this place, some things remind me so much of home. Complete with the hawker in the morning that woke us up shouting his wares outside our window. I half expect to hear someone yell Pure-Water soon :).

SNB
Jun 3, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for that tip - since I hate cleaning the beans, I do several bags of Goya black-eyed peas at once and freeze the cleaned beans. It makes life much easier. For the person who asked about baking - I stopped doing that because the top always got dry even when I covered it with tin foil. I found these non-stick metal cups (about muffin size) at a Walmart in NY that come with a plastic cover. They stack and steam it well, with no mess and the moin-moin just slides out, so it is easy to clean and reuse the cups.

BTW, hello from Bahia, Brazil, home of the best akara (acaraje they call it) outside Naija. I'm really gbadun-ing this place, some things remind me so much of home. Complete with the hawker in the morning that woke us up shouting his wares outside our window. I half expect to hear someone yell Pure-Water soon :).

Anything would get dry in the oven if you don't know how to use the foil. You have to poke little holes with your fork....this way it won't get dry. It's the same way I cook Jollof and Fried rice in the oven and it never gets dry.
I just found little plastic containers at the dolar store.....5 for $1 and it works just fine. No need to cut moin moin to size, the little container just does it right.

I'm very jealous....Brazil....tell me is true that almost everyone in Brazil fine pass Beyonce?

.bebi
Jun 3, 2007, 05:51 PM
Anything would get dry in the oven if you don't know how to use the foil. You have to poke little holes with your fork....this way it won't get dry. It's the same way I cook Jollof and Fried rice in the oven and it never gets dry.
I just found little plastic containers at the dolar store.....5 for $1 and it works just fine. No need to cut moin moin to size, the little container just does it right.

I'm very jealous....Brazil....tell me is true that almost everyone in Brazil fine pass Beyonce?

How on earth can u cook jollof and fried rice in an oven?Pls explain.We learn everyday

SNB
Jun 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
How on earth can u cook jollof and fried rice in an oven?Pls explain.We learn everyday

Yes, jollof rice and fried rice can be cooked in an oven just as a potato can be cooked in a microwave. By the way, raw potato can be baked to perfection in an oven as well. More on that later.

As for the rice, It's pretty simple, cook your jollof rice as you normally would on the range but don't cook it all the way. Transfer it to an oven dish or the most commonly used foil pan...make sure it's been greased with no stick spray or better yet you can line it with foil. Put your half cooked jollof or fried rice in, cover it with foil. Don't forget to perforate it with a fork in many places.

The end result is moist jollof/fried rice well cooked and never mushy--- and you don't have to deal with a burnt pot. If you like mushy or much tender rice, add a bit of chicken stock or water...which ever one you prefer.

I wonder why you've never heard of such.

Now back to potatoes, wash your potatoes very well but don't peel it. Wrap each individual potato in foil and poke it a bit with a fork. Bake...based on the size and voila you have perfectly based potatoes.

I've never tried moin moin in the oven but if I did, I would use the same concept. I don't see myself ever attempting moin moin for oven sha, I'll stick to the way my mama taught me minus banana leaves.

.bebi
Jun 3, 2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks.I am aware of baking potatoes in the oven.

techsista
Jun 4, 2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the tips on poking holes in the foil - that I didn't try. My friend bakes her jollof rice and it comes out really good, but I've never tried it. When I'm making jollof rice, I wait for the whole thing to start boiling, then turn the burner down to the lowest setting - the rice never burns that way. Every once in a while, though, it is slightly mushy, so the oven sounds like a good way to go.

As for Brazil, my sister, I have had to restrain myself from openly gawping at some of the men here. It is not just the good looks - they are incredibly fit and ripped (especially those on the beach). In general, people here aren't as huge as in the states and are in pretty good shape physically, so lots of eye candy for moi :D.

Myne Whitman
Jun 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
Techsis,

Enjoy for all of us abeg, and bring back better...

Have a safe trip back.

Ogadinma
Jun 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
As for Brazil, my sister, I have had to restrain myself from openly gawping at some of the men here. It is not just the good looks - they are incredibly fit and ripped (especially those on the beach). In general, people here aren't as huge as in the states and are in pretty good shape physically, so lots of eye candy for moi :D.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I hear you on this one Tecsista, but I wonder what will happen when you go to Greece. I was not only gwaping I was gwaking too.

EyesWideOpen
Jun 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone,
Have you ever tried cooking Moin2 in the oven? i find it very convenient, but the top always dries out. Do you have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? thanks

I like moinmoin a lot but have never tried cooking it in the oven!

What works really well for me is using a steamer.

I buy the foil take away packs (very small/ medium size) from the african store, and arrange them in the 3 layers of the steamer, fill the steamer with water and set the timer for 60 minutes. Like a rice cooker, the steamer beeps and switches off after 60 minutes and the moinmoin is definitely cooked by then.
no need to refill with water,
no need to learn the art of wrapping in foil.
no pouring of moinmoin into your pot
no need to check if its burning,
no need to clean the oven,
never ever gets dry,
no need to check if its cooked before the water dries,
no sticky residue left to wash,
no need to cut the moinmoin if you use the small packs
and the steamer bowls are dishwasher friendly and handwashable.

i also place my steamer near a window or under the cooker fan while cooking, so the smell doesnt saturate the whole house, for those of you who feel this is important. You can get a steamer in argos for as little as 18-35euro and it lasts and lasts..

i truly recommend this because you can steam your vegetables, rice, everything with the steamer , but most of all you can put the moinmoin on the boil and go and do something else upstairs...

techsista
Jun 20, 2007, 01:53 AM
I like moinmoin a lot but have never tried cooking it in the oven!

What works really well for me is using a steamer.

I buy the foil take away packs (very small/ medium size) from the african store, and arrange them in the 3 layers of the steamer, fill the steamer with water and set the timer for 60 minutes. Like a rice cooker, the steamer beeps and switches off after 60 minutes and the moinmoin is definitely cooked by then.
no need to refill with water,
no need to learn the art of wrapping in foil.
no pouring of moinmoin into your pot
no need to check if its burning,
no need to clean the oven,
never ever gets dry,
no need to check if its cooked before the water dries,
no sticky residue left to wash,
no need to cut the moinmoin if you use the small packs
and the steamer bowls are dishwasher friendly and handwashable.

i also place my steamer near a window or under the cooker fan while cooking, so the smell doesnt saturate the whole house, for those of you who feel this is important. You can get a steamer in argos for as little as 18-35euro and it lasts and lasts..

i truly recommend this because you can steam your vegetables, rice, everything with the steamer , but most of all you can put the moinmoin on the boil and go and do something else upstairs...

Is there a particular brand of steamer you'd recommend (I know about rice cookers but
have never seen or used a steamer)? Thanks.

Dimaanu
Jun 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
Eyes Wide Open,

Make sure you sign a contract with any Manufacturing brand of Steamer you want to recommend because that is a serious ad campaign you posted there.:lol::lol:
I am sure I'll be swayed to buy whatever you recommend.

EyesWideOpen
Jun 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
Is there a particular brand of steamer you'd recommend (I know about rice cookers but
have never seen or used a steamer)? Thanks.

This should give you an idea of what i am referring to :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4226763/Trail/C%24cip%3D50160.Kitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%3EC%24cip% 3D50237.Small%2Bkitchen%2Bappliances.htm

My friends have this one, and it works well and is large, though they dont use it often, but i am pretty sure you will come across one in the stores. If you follow the general rules for choosing electronic cooking equipment, ie compare what different brands do ( ie timer switch off or not), their capacity ( volume) and relate them to your need ( eg large family/ frequent parties) you should make a good choice.

Unfortunately, as generations before me Dimaanu, i find myself again working (advertising)for the oyibo man for free...ah

EyesWideOpen
Jun 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
found another link...though i am not really sure about amazon, but it gives you an idea of prices and that kind of stuff...goodluck !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rs_3/002-7228339-7180814?ie=UTF8&search-alias=kitchen&field-keywords=food%20steamers

techsista
Jun 21, 2007, 12:59 PM

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4226763/Trail/C%24cip%3D50160.Kitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%3EC%24cip% 3D50237.Small%2Bkitchen%2Bappliances.htm

My friends have this one, and it works well and is large, though they dont use it often, but i am pretty sure you will come across one in the stores. If you follow the general rules for choosing electronic cooking equipment, ie compare what different brands do ( ie timer switch off or not), their capacity ( volume) and relate them to your need ( eg large family/ frequent parties) you should make a good choice.

Unfortunately, as generations before me Dimaanu, i find myself again working (advertising)for the oyibo man for free...ah

Thanks for the info on steamers and the link. I learn something new/useful on NVS every time I visit :).

SNB
Jun 21, 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks ....my eyes are really wide open. I will definitely look into getting a cheap steamer from wally world aka Walmart. Steaming sounds like a fantasic idea and that no cleaning thing sold me on it.

tatafo
Jun 21, 2007, 03:43 PM

Gbam! Gbam! Gbam! That's why me I love this my sister. Moi moi it is for the next 2 weeks at home.

Anike
Jul 8, 2007, 02:47 AM
You have to poke little holes with your fork....this way it won't get dry.

SNB,

This tip worked perfectly well. I used to scrape the dry layer or my fried/jollof rice off once it is cooked. I tried this method today and my rice came out well.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

karajakataja
Jul 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
too much of this thing makes you fart and become a master bomber. throwing missiles everywhere. be careful. please eat eight hours before leaving the house

SNB
Jul 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
too much of this thing makes you fart and become a master bomber. throwing missiles everywhere. be careful. please eat eight hours before leaving the house

I'm sure you're speaking from experience. Hope you didn't eat moin moin last night or else your co-workers will be in serious trouble today:lol:.

SNB
Jul 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
SNB,

This tip worked perfectly well. I used to scrape the dry layer or my fried/jollof rice off once it is cooked. I tried this method today and my rice came out well.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I'm glad it worked out well for you. Now to another favorite of mine....Edi kaikong... I think I need to go back and review the edi kaikong thread. I'm craving it seriously.