PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is a GPS in Nigeria

HolyPagan
May 4, 2009, 10:16 PM
Has anybody used their GPS in Nigeria....

I am an avid runner, and would love to keep up with it, whilst I am visiting Nigeria.
one of my tools is a HR monitor that has a GPS that takes the guess work out of my distances.

My question is, Has anybody used their GPS whilst in Nigeria, what kind of results did they have?
Including in rural areas...I intend to spend quite some time in my village...think no electricity type village, certainly not an urban built up environment.

Cheers.

Anonymous Villager
May 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
No it would not work. You would not be needing it. You would not be running either. Not safe for a lady to be up and about like that. Enjoy your trip.

HolyPagan
May 4, 2009, 10:29 PM
No it would not work. You would not be needing it. You would not be running either. Not safe for a lady to be up and about like that. Enjoy your trip.
Oh!! Thanks....I used to Jog when I lived in Aba, mostly around my neighbourhood, though decades ago.

agbonizuanghwe
May 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh!! Thanks....I used to Jog when I lived in Aba, mostly around my neighbourhood, though decades ago.

People still run in Nigeria, with and without GPS, in suburban, urban and rural areas. Having never clapped eyes on one I don't know if they work. If you get lost in non-kidnap territory, I expect someone will point you back in the direction of where you wat to go. And there is always the ubiquitous motoorbike aka, goyi, okada, alalo, achaba ..........

HolyPagan
May 4, 2009, 10:51 PM
People still run in Nigeria, with and without GPS, in suburban, urban and rural areas. Having never clapped eyes on one I don't know if they work. If you get lost in non-kidnap territory, I expect someone will point you back in the direction of where you wat to go. And there is always the ubiquitous motoorbike aka, goyi, okada, alalo, achaba ..........
My sister, I no fit loss for my village O...Kai... that wan go be stuff of eternal shame.
I no be Panya (What we call equatorial Guinea returnees...they were those who faced forced repatriation back to Nigeria, and were usually so long gone they became strangers) that I have to be shown my way home, around my village O...how can?

Where I come from, When I was growing up, it was a very shameful thing, to be shown to your own Kindred. (All that has changed now)

The GPS is to track my running distances. so I can have the ability to train, even whilst eating 'Akpu' Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

ISL
May 4, 2009, 11:03 PM
nice, how many miles a week do you run?

I'm not sure how well those things work in naija, but one low-tech way to track your distance is to drive the route in a car while noting the mileage on the odometer (also helps if you're able to reset the trip counter)

HolyPagan
May 5, 2009, 10:06 AM
nice, how many miles a week do you run?
I'm not sure how well those things work in naija, but one low-tech way to track your distance is to drive the route in a car while noting the mileage on the odometer (also helps if you're able to reset the trip counter)

Thanks, I do between 28 and 35miles a week. I use a pyramidised system and tend to ease off, as the weather gets warmer. I do 4-5miles a day, and my long runs are 7-10miles, with loads of hill work, on weekends.
I average about 9min miles.
I'm doing speed work at the moment, my times ought to improve,(tough though) 'cause sometime later in the year, I want to ease off cardio, a bit and have a go at weights.
I am chuffed with my Vo2max, but would like to get some serious muscles on for strength. I have never been into strength training, but everybody is saying how awesome strength training is, and I want to have an open mind and see how it feels to me.

The Odometer is a good resource thanks for suggesting that.
Also, I will speak to the local principal, and see if I could use the school PE fields. I know most of those tracks are 440yards in circumfrence, when I was growing up.
I was looking forward to running the village lanes at dawn....with driving it first, hopefully it will all pan out.
My Garmin Forerunner305 HRM, would have told me minute by minute what kind of pace I was doing...I am the original Mrs Gadge:lol:

depirate
May 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
@ Original Mrs Gadge,

Na you biko!, well your SatNav odometer function will work in Nigeria (the technology is based on 24 (i think) medium earth orbit satellites and your position is calculated based on your location on the earths surface relative to these satellites, thus the distance function will work. However the navigation function will not as you need to map the area in question using GPS positioning in order to enable the device to recognise where you are as a street or field etc - the device knows what spot on earth you are at, you just have to tell the device that that spot is liloldlady's village, this is why if you are on a new road in properly mapped areas the SatNav tells you that you are in a field since the new road hasn't been mapped)
I actually think there are some Nigerian maps available - they are for some major cities i think (doubt if your vila counts as such), but from what you say i don't think you need directions to find your Obi

Enjoy your trip (going over sometime in the next couple of months myself - have no plans of doing any running though (too many joints to 'review' when there)

Christopher

Showcase
May 5, 2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks, I do between 28 and 35miles a week. I use a pyramidised system and tend to ease off, as the weather gets warmer. I do 4-5miles a day, and my long runs are 7-10miles, with loads of hill work, on weekends.
I'm doing speed work at the moment, my times ought to improve,(tough though) 'cause sometime later in the year, I want to ease off cardio, a bit and have a go at weights.
I am chuffed with my Vo2max, but would like to get some serious muscles on for strength. I have never been into strength training, but everybody is saying how awesome strength training is, and I want to have an open mind and see how it feels to me.

Also, I will speak to the local principal, and see if I could use the school PE fields. I know most of those tracks are 440yards in circumfrence, when I was growing up.
I was looking forward to running the village lanes at dawn....with driving it first, hopefully it will all pan out.
My Garmin Forerunner305 HRM, would have told me minute by minute what kind of pace I was doing...I am the original Mrs Gadget:lol:

At your age, should you be doing this, lilOLDlady? :D

Have a safe trip

HolyPagan
May 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
At your age, should you be doing this, lilOLDlady? :D

Have a safe trip
The Consultant for Geriatric medicine was the one who recommended it actually.
without my zimmer frame, I can do much better time.
So many people in the Old People's home with me, are thinking of starting their own fitness programme. They see how good it is for me.

Cheers.:shake::rose:

abeyance
May 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yes it does work. Only problem is you have to plot your waypoints by longitude and latitude as you won't have maps for your village. I tried it once in Akure to trace land.

ISL
May 5, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks, I do between 28 and 35miles a week.

Are you serious?

That is awesome/borderline insane!

How long have you been running?

I bow for you (seriously)

I can probably squeeze out 15 miles a week at best. And even that puts serious wear and tear on the body (usually sore calves the lower back)

Granted I split my time between my other hobbies (weight lifting, cycling etc) but still.....

I can't imagine running for that long, since I always get bored right at the 5 mile mark..(I'd hate to see your pile of discarded running shoes)

Also, 9 min/mile is pretty respectable for that distance...

I'm embarrassed to admit that my 10k avg just slightly higher than that (I can manage just over 8min/mile in a 5k)

I've also never done any speed work either (been putting it off) but I've messed around with VO2 max numbers a few years ago and had some testing done, when I was training semi competitively for other sports. Hopefully you're planning to enlist the services of a Personal trainer when you start weight training..

I absolutely love my gadgets as well!

I never tried Garmin products, but I've owned (and in some cases destroyed) a few Polar HRMs. My fav was my 725, until I lost it out in the woods somewhere last summer.

I found this cool gps-based running application for my google phone a few months ago. It gives me all the same information as the garmins (pace, distance, time, route etc)

It even graphs the entire run so I can analyze my speed for any given point during the run. I particularly enjoy the voice prompts that gives periodic updates during the run............ that way I don't have to look down and fumble with it in my oxygen deprived state to see how slow I'm going

http://www.buddyrunner.com/

Depirate, thanks for the explanation on the way GPS calculations are carried out.

agbonizuanghwe
May 5, 2009, 05:08 PM
Yes it does work. Only problem is you have to plot your waypoints by longitude and latitude as you won't have maps for your village. I tried it once in Akure to trace land.

I specifically went to find out so I could report back and this is what they said

HolyPagan
May 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
Are you serious?

That is awesome/borderline insane!

How long have you been running?

I bow for you (seriously)

I can probably squeeze out 15 miles a week at best. And even that puts serious wear and tear on the body (usually sore calves the lower back)

Granted I split my time between my other hobbies (weight lifting, cycling etc) but still.....

I can't imagine running for that long, since I always get bored right at the 5 mile mark..(I'd hate to see your pile of discarded running shoes)

Also, 9 min/mile is pretty respectable for that distance...

I'm embarrassed to admit that my 10k avg just slightly higher than that (I can manage just over 8min/mile in a 5k)

I've also never done any speed work either (been putting it off) but I've messed around with VO2 max numbers a few years ago and had some testing done, when I was training semi competitively for other sports. Hopefully you're planning to enlist the services of a Personal trainer when you start weight training..

I absolutely love my gadgets as well!

I never tried Garmin products, but I've owned (and in some cases destroyed) a few Polar HRMs. My fav was my 725, until I lost it out in the woods somewhere last summer.

I found this cool gps-based running application for my google phone a few months ago. It gives me all the same information as the garmins (pace, distance, time, route etc)

It even graphs the entire run so I can analyze my speed for any given point during the run. I particularly enjoy the voice prompts that gives periodic updates during the run............ that way I don't have to look down and fumble with it in my oxygen deprived state to see how slow I'm going

http://www.buddyrunner.com/

Depirate, thanks for the explanation on the way GPS calculations are carried out.
ISL...You get bored by mile 5?...that is when on my long runs, I have eased into my run, breathing is easier, In my head, I see it as a kinda sitting on my hunches zone. Its no longer effort more like coasting... the endorphins have kicked in, cause at this point I am smiling at folks like some Jackass. It feels that good.
Oh boy...we are talking shop :D...
As you already know, maintaining peak physical fitness is like being hooked on Kaalu Kaalu (One armed bandit/gaming machines)....You start off wanting to be able to chase your toddler round the living room, without getting winded, and before you know it, you are competing against your last results and wanting to beat yourself.
I was a recreational Jogger... since my Unilag days, and then jogged off and on until 10yrs ago...when things changed...I did a 10K...and was left in the dust by Pensioners...I swore never again, and have been hooked ever since.

I love and look forward to logging, and comparing runs, with previous runs, and it gives me such a kick, to see marked improvements. Even if its as minuscle as a minute, difference, in recovery time.
Funny though, I have never lasted more than 3mins on a bike ever. My efforts at X training suck.
My Quads are not built for biking... They hate it...or so I tell myself.

I have been lucky with injury touch wood...except when I ran on some saucony once, and had plantar fascitis, its never been anything more serious than cramps...that said, My Warm up and cool down is never ever compromised, neither are my stretches...I use some cool yoga DVD's and they work wonders.
About the Shoes, I always get fitted, I under pronate (apparently common in women) so my strike point, has been shifting on the shoes through the years, I know that I have to keep getting fitted, to make sure I dont get any problems.

I have spoken to a few Personal Trainers, re, my impending Stregth training, but I am not up to speed on what I should be looking for, My biggest concern is easing off on the cardio, apparently, I have to, if I am to see good gains in my strenght training.... I am still reading up.
Apparently One way not to lose CV conditioning, is Using HIIT, that allays my concerns somewhat, cause I would hate to lose cardio conditioning.

Thanks I Will check out that website.

Now that I have bored you all to sleep....cheers.

ISL
May 5, 2009, 09:36 PM
lol....please don't laugh at my 5 mile "attention span" o.....I've only been running for about 2yrs so I guess I'm still building up.

I can definitely relate to the euphoric experience that is "runners high" (though mine doesn't seem to last as long as yours, lol!)

I've been fitted for shoes as well, though I've never thought of having it done periodically (not a bad idea). I'm fairly neutral, but I have to have a lot of cushioning to support my weight (~200lbs).

I've been through a few pairs of Asics and I'm a huge fan, although I'm currently trying out my first pair of Nike's........ the jury is still out on them

Injury wise, I had been pretty lucky as well......at least until last Feb when I ruptured a disc in my lower back.....then I further aggravated it by ignoring the pain for a few weeks and even competed in a duathlon (bad idea).

By the time it was over, I could barely walk or sit, since the disc was now pinching a nerve in my leg (that was painful!)

Its hard to isolate the exact cause of the injury since as I said, I tend to abuse my body fairly regularly, but it did start shortly after I tried to set a PR on a 5k (I'm also not sure the Nike's are not to blame)

Underwent 6 weeks of physical therapy w/electric shock treatment and I'm good as new. I definitely pay more attention to stretching now, and take extra care to use proper form.

Also, if you can run, you can ride.........I used to absolutely hate running till I gave it another shot in '07 and found that I could "tolerate" it, so don't give up on X training yet.

As per "easing up", I've struggled with this issue for years, for me the down sides of excessive cardio are:

1) Loss of muscle mass (unlike a lot of people, my struggle is to keep weight on, not lose it)
2) Increases overall recovery time, which compromises the "integrity" of my strength training workouts.

So yes they can hamper each other, but from my understanding, there are two dimensions to being fit, 1) Endurance or base fitness....2) Power......the ability to go fast!

It is very HARD to lose your Endurance base since it typically takes a few years to build up, you'd have to sit around on the couch for a LONG time for that to go away.

I've taken months off training in the past (like I had to do this year when I got hurt) and it all comes back fairly quickly. May take a few weeks or so but it never fails. What you do lose is your top end, but as you said, doing Intervals should help maintain that.

I have done Interval training in the past.....it is a whole different level of pain

HolyPagan
May 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
"....I'm fairly neutral, but I have to have a lot of cushioning to support my weight (~200lbs).

I wish I can just blink and have packed on that kind of lean Muscle mass. Your metabolism must be like a furnace. To stoke that kind of furnace you must be way up there with your nutrition.:clap:
When I start, my weight training, I hope I can tap you for nutrition tips....right now my protein is between 75-100grams a day. no fancy stuff, just lean, good quality stuff, from real meat.

Cheers

ISL
May 6, 2009, 03:19 PM
*sigh* I wish it was all lean mass......I do have a ridiculously high metabolism, but I also have a sweet tooth and an inexplicable weakness for some good ol greasy naija food, so it sort of evens out, lol

It does take a LOT of work to balance out the effects of cardio vs weight training though, but I've figured out over the years that I enjoy them equally and don't intend to quit either. So I've just resolved to make the sacrifice (I hit the gym @ 5.30am every day)

You're definitely headed along the right path with proteins, carbs are also just as important though. At some point I was on a really strict diet where I logged everything I ate and planned my meals out for weeks at a time using a tracking software that automatically calculated my daily caloric intake vs estimated expenditure.

Now I just make it a point to always check out the nutritional content of anything I eat and do a quick mental calculation.

ISL
Efo elegusi is my Kryptonite

elgaxton
May 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
GPS is fully functional in Abuja and Lagos, the my phone has a navigator function and it

works well, in fact people are now selling one Portable GPS device used mostly in cars,

works very well here in abuja with Land Marks and hotel locations working well.

U guys Abroad can help with data and maps of places in Nigeria you want to see work with GPS.

HolyPagan
May 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
*sigh* I wish it was all lean mass......I do have a ridiculously high metabolism, but I also have a sweet tooth and an inexplicable weakness for some good ol greasy naija food, so it sort of evens out, lol

It does take a LOT of work to balance out the effects of cardio vs weight training though, but I've figured out over the years that I enjoy them equally and don't intend to quit either. So I've just resolved to make the sacrifice (I hit the gym @ 5.30am every day)

You're definitely headed along the right path with proteins, carbs are also just as important though. At some point I was on a really strict diet where I logged everything I ate and planned my meals out for weeks at a time using a tracking software that automatically calculated my daily caloric intake vs estimated expenditure.

Now I just make it a point to always check out the nutritional content of anything I eat and do a quick mental calculation.

ISL
Efo elegusi is my Kryptonite
I know the feeling...I get very talibanistic about nutrition for months on end, then one day, I wake up and go 'sod it', and revert to seeing chocolate, as a food group.
Its now second nature...I always read nutrition labels....whether its when I am keeping Cadbury Plc in FTSE 500 index on my own, or adhering to a sensible nutrition regimen.

Have you heard of bodybugg...I hear it actually takes the guess work out. the person wears the device on their person, and it does the calculations.
that will be taking fitness a step too far.:lol:
http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/

ISL
May 6, 2009, 07:18 PM
Have you heard of bodybugg...I hear it actually takes the guess work out. the person wears the device on their person, and it does the calculations.
that will be taking fitness a step too far.:lol:
http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/

yes, my gym tried to sell me one last year, but I declined since my Polar 725 already does this........I wore it around all day and night for a few weeks to get a feel for my daily calorie expenditure. That way I could adjust my intake to create a surplus.......very necessary to know how much you're burning if you're going to truly count calories

a female friend of mine bought one and lost a bunch of weight using it, so apparently they're fairly accurate.

MsWoman
May 6, 2009, 08:09 PM
Chi-neke! Liloldlady, you nor old kan kan oh! You are a health nut/freak and I mean it in a good way:D:D. ISL you too:D! I wish I could be like both of you oh ehn, see me! I bought some walking trosseez and t-shats to match for walking from one of those gym stores five years ago when I moved into my house and they still have tags on them today:rolleyes::surprised:rolleyes:. My excuse was I need to buy the perfect trainers fit for walking. Das how "I will buy it next week" turned to one month, one year, half a decade! This is ridiculous men! I was intrigued by the new hood, because we have quite a few hills that would be perfect for walking/running. Shoooooo every moring or evening na so I dey see serious-minded people like you both walking or jogging and all I can do is shake my head because five years have gone by and I never even attempt to take one step:eek:. I was just telling myself that this summer of '09 ehn, na do or die! When I return from my next trip, I have decided that I will walk tire.

Run? Run keh? I beg leave dat one, make me too gain momentum with this waka tin first then I fit consider running later! In the past I have walked at work, but that was when my girlfriend worked with me in the same bldg. She moved to another bldg and likewise, and where I am now actually would provide the opportunity to walk round the entire campus/complex which is huge, but nor be MsWoman? I see people devoted to the task at all hours of the day, but nooooo! Then we have a gym in my bldg that is open from 5 to 7:30, but again, nooooo not MsWoman! The payment is one silly amount like that per month, quite cheap….but noooooooo, not MsWoman. My 58 year-old lady/sisi oga gan sef goes there faithfully everyday at lunch time. The woman is a size 2! You should see her in her pointed toe high heels. She looks like my younger sister. The day she told me she had 2 girls aged 30 and 32, I had to ask her where she put them when she was pregnant :eek::eek:!!! A few Fridays ago the lady showed up to work in mini skat! Mini skat and I mean mini!

HolyPagan
May 6, 2009, 08:30 PM
Chi-neke! Liloldlady, you nor old kan kan oh! You are a health nut/freak and I mean it in a good way:D:D. ISL you too:D! I wish I could be like both of you oh ehn, see me! I bought some walking trosseez and t-shats to match for walking from one of those gym stores five years ago when I moved into my house and they still have tags on them today:rolleyes::surprised:rolleyes:. My excuse was I need to buy the perfect trainers fit for walking. Das how "I will buy it next week" turned to one month, one year, half a decade! This is ridiculous men! I was intrigued by the new hood, because we have quite a few hills that would be perfect for walking/running. Shoooooo every moring or evening na so I dey see serious-minded people like you both walking or jogging and all I can do is shake my head because five years have gone by and I never even attempt to take one step:eek:. I was just telling myself that this summer of '09 ehn, na do or die! When I return from my next trip, I have decided that I will walk tire.

Run? Run keh? I beg leave dat one, make me too gain momentum with this waka tin first then I fit consider running later! In the past I have walked at work, but that was when my girlfriend worked with me in the same bldg. She moved to another bldg and likewise, and where I am now actually would provide the opportunity to walk round the entire campus/complex which is huge, but nor be MsWoman? I see people devoted to the task at all hours of the day, but nooooo! Then we have a gym in my bldg that is open from 5 to 7:30, but again, nooooo not MsWoman! The payment is one silly amount like that per month, quite cheap….but noooooooo, not MsWoman. My 58 year-old lady/sisi oga gan sef goes there faithfully everyday at lunch time. The woman is a size 2! You should see her in her pointed toe high heels. She looks like my younger sister. The day she told me she had 2 girls aged 30 and 32, I had to ask her where she put them when she was pregnant :eek::eek:!!! A few Fridays ago the lady showed up to work in mini skat! Mini skat and I mean mini!

My sister you funny no be small...I laff tire for dat ya tori
my sis, I no lie you, exercise is fantastic. its great for sleep, sex life, stress relief, the health benefits are endless, knocks the blues, straight out of your life.
when you come back from your trip...no more delays I beg. just start with 10mins. 5mins to and 5mins back and before you know it, you will not gree anything to stop you from your 'me' time
Its the best thing you can do for you, second to buying shoes....

MsWoman
May 6, 2009, 08:44 PM
@liloldlady:

thank you for the encouragement oh! Abi na whish akant I wan write this one now, ehn?! You are so right though about how igreat it makes you feel. No lie! I had surgery one time, na so I almost became millionaire e remin small, because after the surgery I developed one kain pain like this wey no gree leave me oh! With the pain, na so I begin walk (that was when my friend and I used to waka) and that is how the pain left me oh! In fact, I don contact lawyer say e be laik say we go get case with this situation, but sha the pain comot oh! Slowly, I just noticed a gradual decline and even when it’s that time of the month, again, when I used to walk, there was a noticeable difference. I am a size 4 myself, I am hardly doing it to lose weight, the main purpose is to enhance my physical/mental/emotional wellbeing!

Point of correction, I am a size 4 and I also eat quite well as in the right stuff, BUT I am missing the koko of it....WORKING OUT!!!

ISL
May 6, 2009, 09:26 PM
yes o MsWoman, it is not too hard to get started, it's just a matter of breaking old habits......once you get into a routine, you won't want to miss a day sef.

besides, you might as well put your matching outfit to good use!

too funny!

HolyPagan
May 6, 2009, 09:27 PM
@liloldlady:

thank you for the encouragement oh! Abi na whish akant I wan write this one now, ehn?! You are so right though about how igreat it makes you feel. No lie! I had surgery one time, na so I almost became millionaire e remin small, because after the surgery I developed one kain pain like this wey no gree leave me oh! With the pain, na so I begin walk (that was when my friend and I used to waka) and that is how the pain left me oh! In fact, I don contact lawyer say e be laik say we go get case with this situation, but sha the pain comot oh! Slowly, I just noticed a gradual decline and even when it’s that time of the month, again, when I used to walk, there was a noticeable difference. I am a size 4 myself, I am hardly doing it to lose weight, the main purpose is to enhance my physical/mental/emotional wellbeing!

Point of correction, I am a size 4 and I also eat quite well as in the right stuff, BUT I am missing the koko of it....WORKING OUT!!!
Size 4...chai if I be size 4, I go think say I be Tyra Banks O.
Na size 8-10UK (6-8US) I dey knack. Any day of the week you will find Cadbury wholenut chocolate for my desk drawer. Thank God for exercise, I for be room and parlour.

MsWoman
May 7, 2009, 03:49 PM
@liloldlady: If persin na size 4 bet no dey fit, was de point? You are a perfect size you know and are doing all the things to keep your health in check. Please you can't even complain.

@ISL: you are right! When I used to walk, I used to do it, 2ce a day for 15 minutes each and I tell you, I used to look forward to it to je ikpe (so tey). But once I stopped like this, in fact....but like you said, I will start again...this time arand, na those hills wey dey my side, I go climb well-well!

elgaxton
May 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hi lilOldLady,

I just remembered that Naija cars now have Anti-Theft devices, powered by GPS...

So u are good to go only sey i no know whether dem dey work for indoors tho'

MS-Woman don't wait til u come back from ur trip o, Now is the time take it from me. Now that u're inspired by other pple is better.

Una Later!

Writer Girl
May 12, 2009, 01:26 AM
Would you be doing it on foot or in a mobility scooter?!

Beware of kid/granny- nappers sha!

Alexa
May 12, 2009, 02:52 AM

My Garmin Forerunner305 HRM, would have told me minute by minute what kind of pace I was doing...I am the original Mrs Gadge:lol:

Whoa!!!Liloldlady,I comot my hat for you in respect. I was looking at all these numbers and I confess that my shame is so great that small girl like me no even fit waka fast for 30minutes without huffing and puffing. Thank God I saw this post, na new motivation this summer to get fit (again). :lol: Before I start exercising, is my derriere in danger of deflating? That could really be a deterrent;).

Make I no even complicate matter by mentioning my dress size. Mswoman and LOL, na serious figure 8 una be.:clap:

Ph3y
May 12, 2009, 06:00 AM
I don't have a problem with exercising o...in fact i like it...but you see na d area wey i dey defficient pass dey first reduce....The part wey i been won reduce gan gan no dey gree go down.....so wen i weigh the two options, i'd rather just stay as i am cos I cannot afford to loose the little extra wey i been dey manage before.

HolyPagan
May 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
Would you be doing it on foot or in a mobility scooter?!

Beware of kid/granny- nappers sha!

Those nappers na waa O, and my scooter can only do 2mph, can you imagine, I can't even outrun them...its not fair.
I can always try hitting them with my walking stick. That will teach them not to mess with an oldlady.

Before I start exercising, is my derriere in danger of deflating? That could really be a deterrent
I laff tire...unless there is a calorie deficit ie you are burning more energy than is going in, I don't see why your glutes should deflate. Granted, with taking up exercise, Added to the general improvement of your fitness and agility level, Your derriere will tone up, and any flab will be zapped, which is altogether a very nice state of affairs. Ain't nothing as cute as a firm bum on a woman:).

".... but you see na d area wey i dey defficient pass dey first reduce....The part wey i been won reduce gan gan no dey gree go down...." no worri...some laws of nature take care of that....in latin dem say "Nemo dat quod non habet" in English "No one gives, what they do not have"
so dia4, I can't see your body taking mostly from the part with less, when it can take from the part with plenty. In the end it all works out:rose:

smartomoge
May 14, 2009, 11:02 PM
I just wanted to jump in real quick to say something :

I just love this thread. I had decided to start running by myself this summer, but was kinda dragging my feet about it. Howefa, upon reading this thread, I got off my behind and I have gone running twice this week - And I am loving it.

So far, I am doing about 3 miles per day, but I hope to increase it gradually. My goal is 15-20miles a week, and I am really serious about it.

I just thought - if a lilolady can run like dat, why can't a smart chic like moi ehn?

Thanks for the motivation o jare, old woman. May you continue to grow younger in body even as u advance in age.

This is for u: :hug:

ISL
May 15, 2009, 02:11 AM
good for you......15-20 miles is aggressive, be sure to take your time to avoid burning out.....and please get fitted for shoes!

smartomoge
May 15, 2009, 02:54 AM
good for you......15-20 miles is aggressive, be sure to take your time to avoid burning out.....and please get fitted for shoes!

Thanks for the heads up. I am kinda a running novice. I have done some running, but nothing as serious as what I am about to get into. So I can go into any sports shoe store and get fitted abi? Does that mean custom made shoes?

smartomoge
May 15, 2009, 03:07 AM
Actually, I got my answer:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/07/23/hm.running.shoes/index.html

Julie Beverly runs about 20 miles a week. While her workouts are helping to tone her body, they're also wearing down the soles of her sneakers. "The shoes are starting to bow on the sides because they're so old," says Beverly. "Actually, they're making the back of my ankle hurt."
art.running.shoes.race.jpg

Athletes should keep track of their mileage and replace their workout shoes every 250 to 500 miles.

Beverly isn't alone in complaining of foot, heel or leg pain. Atlanta, Georgia, podiatrist Perry Julien says, "We estimate that 20 percent of the people that come into our office with an injury are there because of their shoes. Either they're worn out or they're just incorrect for their foot type."

Running shoes don't last forever, the doctor says. He recommends that athletes keep track of their mileage and replace their workout shoes every 250 to 500 miles. For someone who runs 20 miles a week, that could mean new shoes as often as every three months, but probably about every six months for sure.

Dr. Julien also recommends that people mark their shoes with the date of purchase to keep precise track of the age. "A date or knowing how much you run on it is better than looking at them," he says.

"Often times when a shoe wears down, it wears down in the mid-sole, and you can't see that wear," he says, "but then you lose the support and the cushioning."

Julien tells his patients to buy their running shoes from a store with experienced sales personnel. They can help determine the right style of shoe for your foot.

Beverly, 31, did just that at Phidippides, a running-shoe specialty store near her home in Atlanta. She spent close to an hour with Gregory Sheats, a sales clerk with 26 years of experience.

"We evaluate her foot by using a diagnostic shoe, and then we can determine the foot function and we'll know which characteristics we'll either be compensating for or complementing," Sheats explains. Video Watch Health Minute for more on picking the right running shoe »

Sheats determined that Beverly's feet roll in when she walks or runs. He recommended a shoe that will center her feet and neutralize the roll. Beverly began trying on many styles and brands of sneakers. She even ran around the store before settling on what she called the perfect pair.

Julien suggests buying a running shoe that is one-half to 1˝ sizes bigger than everyday footwear.

Be sure to wear a sock with the same thickness you would use for running. Julien says cotton socks can cause blisters. "Cotton tends not to wick away moisture, so using an acrylic blend sock or one of the newer models that wick away moisture will help keep the feet drier."
advertisement

When it comes to breaking in new sneakers, Julien prefers that runners do it gradually to avoid blisters and other foot complaints, "You really should walk in them for a few days. Let them break in slightly, and then start running a few miles."

Beverly's old sneakers were in such bad shape, she vowed never to wear them again and walked out of the store sporting the new pair. She paid about $100 for the shoes but says, "It's a small price to pay for your ankles and legs and to be able to run without pain.

HolyPagan
May 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
I just wanted to jump in real quick to say something :

I just love this thread. I had decided to start running by myself this summer, but was kinda dragging my feet about it. Howefa, upon reading this thread, I got off my behind and I have gone running twice this week - And I am loving it.

So far, I am doing about 3 miles per day, but I hope to increase it gradually. My goal is 15-20miles a week, and I am really serious about it.

I just thought - if a lilolady can run like dat, why can't a smart chic like moi ehn?

Thanks for the motivation o jare, old woman. May you continue to grow younger in body even as u advance in age.

This is for u: :hug:
Congratulations on starting a ftiness regimen....awesome.
Both your research and what ISL said about getting fitted for running shoes is spot on.:idea:

Your mantra should please be Safety! safety!! safety!!!...
Always make sure you use proper form.
never ever skip your warm up, and cool down routines...they make the difference between staying injury free, and being laid low with pain.

Always listen to your body....there will be the odd days, when a leisurely walk is what your body wants and needs. Hear it and Obey the bod.

Fitness is fun...enjoy:rose::1love:

alabiyemmy
Sep 7, 2013, 06:18 AM
You people seem to be back on time, thats what happen when you spend your years living in the white man's land. GPS works globally, no need asking if it works in Nigeria. There are companies who have developed Nigeria street maps for use on Garmin and co Nav systems. For more information, check, w w w . nigeriagpsnavigator . c o m, w w w . 3dtechnologies . o r g, w w w . ceaser-web . c o m. In case you have a Garmin device, contact them and they will load the street maps for you and you wont only jog, but you will navigate your way nationwide.