PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Why managers cant lead and leaders cant manage

BISIKAY
Jan 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
WHY MANAGERS CAN'T LEAD AND LEADERS CAN'T MANAGE
THE EXECUTIVES' PREDICAMENT AND THE LEADAGEMENT SOLUTION
A BOOK REVIEW
By BISIKAY, PhD, Director, The Global LEADAGEMENT Institute, London, England, UK

Introducing the new revolutionary Management and Leadership book published by LULU.COM

PREAMBLE
There are the three deadly global executive assumptions:

1. The assumption of non-differentiation : to manage is to lead.
Managers think management is same as leadership, and vice versa. So, once you are a leader you are already a manager, and vice versa

2. The assumption of role limitation : manage or lead, or else…
Management and leadership are each delimited as managers are only to manage and leaders are only to lead

3. The assumption of functional competition: management leads and leadership manages right behind!
Managers think management is better than leadership, and vice versa.

The implication is that these assumptions in the end lower personal and organisational performances. There is, therefore, a need to dissolve these traditional assumptions to increase executives' productivity, globally…

SYNOPSIS:

Why Managers Can't Lead And Leaders Can't Manage is the book that addresses the perennial problem facing all executives in struggling to maximise their productivity, efficiency and effectiveness potentials, in their effort to become great managers as well as great leaders at the same time. The book offers the unique solution of Leadagement to this predicament in showing managers and leaders the way to a balanced executive development and superlative productive capacity achievement, by overcoming the effects of executive dissonance which affects all executives globally.

This unique and revolutionary book is an answer to the elusive search for Executive Excellence by addressing such critical global Executive Development issues as:
• Who is the Better Executive: The Manager or the Leader? Neither of them. The better Executive is the Leadager, who is a Master of the basics, the mechanics and the dynamics of both systems.
• Who is the more Productive executive: the Manager who is Efficient or the Leader who is Effective? Neither as it is better to be efficiently effective and effectively efficient by being a Leadager. The Manager's fundamental role is to Lead people to Manage themselves, as the Leader's fundamental role is to Manage people to Lead themselves, and the Leadager's fundamental role is to Manage to Lead people to Manage to Lead themselves.
• What is the prospect of executives in Management and Leadership of tomorrow? If you remain simply a Manager, or merely a Leader, then one may end up becoming a Defective Executive within the organisational systems of the future based on shifting paradigms.
• How can one achieve Executive Excellence? The missing link in a manager or a leader becoming a more highly productive Executive, or a leadager, is Leadagement – a supersystem that helps to double up on the executive's Performance on managerial efficiency and leadership effectiveness, in a systematic, synergetic and strategic way

STRUCTURE
Why Managers Can't Lead And Leaders Can't Manage is the tale of the discovery of the Secret of the very exclusive class of the world's management and leadership Superexecutives.

The seminal book has 6 Chapters and 4 Appendices plus an Epilogue with detailed outlines of Management, Leadership and Leadagement, and will promote executive excellence achievement and stimulate better corporate and state development.

KEY WORDS: MANAGEMENT, LEADERSHIP, BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEURSHIP, SUCCESS, EXECUTIVE, LEADAGEMENT, ADMINISTRATION, GOVERNANCE, DVELOPMENT, HEADSHIP, SUPERVISION, ORGANISATIONS, PERFORMANCE, EXCELLENCE

OUTLINES

The book's six chapters are presented as a virtual conversation between the writer and the readers. The chapters can be summarised as follows:

1. TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADAGER!
In which we learn about the missing link in crossing over from management and leadership into the new world of superexecutive development for super organisational performance.

2. WHO WANTS TO BE A LEADAGER?
In which we learn that the world is only full of executives who are just either managers or leaders who can only manage or lead but can't do both.

3. WHO NEEDS LEADAGEMENT ANYWAY?
In which we learn that in order to increase the executive power of managers and leaders, we must include leadagement into their capacity building blocks and solve the intractable problem of Executive Dissonance

4. DON'T MANAGE! DON'T LEAD!! JUST LEADAGE!!!
In which we learn about the limitations of managership and leadership principles and practices in the development of the class of the SuperExecutives for tomorrow's world.

5. LEADAGERS OF THE WORLD, ARISE!
In which we learn that there is already a very small number of "Leadagers" in the world and about the Global Leadagement Institute, leading the development of leadagement capacity in organizations and competencies in individual executives: the administrators, the managers, the leaders and others.

6. CASE STUDIES: THE MANAGER/LEADER AS LEADAGER
In which we try to illustrate the principles of Leadagement in practice with three case studies of some form of the combination of Leadership with Management, with the examples of corporate and state executives, in the UK, Nigeria and the US.

EPILOGUE: - Outlines the Basic Concepts of the executive functions of: Management, and
Leadership, as well as Leadagement

APPENDICES - There are Four Appendices that describe the processes of How To apply
Leadagement and how any Executive may become a Leadager :

• APPENDIX 1: THE LEADAGEMENT SUPERMODEL
In which we learn about the principles and framework of leadagement as a super-model modelled on the combination of the management model and the leadership model of executiveness.

• APPENDIX 2: THE SUPERGRID OF LEADAGEMENT
In which we learn about the powerful tool of executives' leadagement potential or profile assessment for better personal and organisational deployment and development

• APPENDIX 3: THE GLOBAL LEADAGEMENT INSTITUTE
In which we learn about the organisation dedicated to the propagation and expansion of the subject of leadagement which remains at this early days a work in progress.

• APPENDIX 4: THE SUPEREXECUTIVE CLASS PROGRAMS
In which we learn about proposed training programmes to give good executives: leading managers, leaders, governors, directors, etc, etc, the opportunities to develop their skills, knowledge and attitude further and become highly productive super-executives.

CASE STUDY
Three case studies are used in the book to illustrate the argument for the Leadagement super-model. In the example of the UK government scenario, we can see how Gordon Brown as the Prime Minister is having difficulties as a Leader whereas as the Chancellor of the Exchequer, from 1997 to 2007, he had performed exceedingly well in helping to Manage the British economy. Within the leadagement framework we may ask ourselves: is this a case of Gordon Brown being simply a Good manager, but a Poor leader? But then, maybe he is not really a bad leader but merely an innocent victim of circumstances beyond his Leadagerial control: the global economic crisis, which I recon he will manage well.

CONCLUSION

Due to human scepticism, cynicism and pessimism, it is not uncommon that when a new unique and revolutionary Idea is first presented to the world it generally takes a bit to catch on. So too it may be with Leadagement. But sooner or later it will surely and steadily catch on and guide the dynamic Executives, managers, leaders, administrators, directors, CEOs, etc, to higher levels of productivity and quality through their newly acquired leadagement - powered capacity of Superexecutivity.

Finally, Why Managers Can't Lead And Leaders Can't Manage is both a warning and a wake-up call on the limitations of both Management and Leadership systems inherited from the last century and which are no longer fit for purpose in our emergent globalised and humanised corporate and state organisations. We all need to face the challenge and renew our practices. Who will to be the Leaders and who wants to be the Laggard in this coming Organisational revolution?

PUBLICATION DETAILS

TITLE: WHY MANAGERS CAN'T LEAD AND LEADERS CAN'T MANAGE

AUTHOR: BISIKAY, PhD

PUBLISHER: LULU.COM for BCK INTERNATIONAL, London, UK

ISBN: 978 – 1 – 4092 – 4242 – 0

FORMAT: Paperback / Limp

SIZE: 6 x 9 ins

PAGES: 251 pages

PRICE: £9.99

CATEGORY: Non-Fiction

CLASSIFICATION: Global Business, Management, Leadership, Governance, Entrepreneurship, Administration, Headship, Supervision, Executive Development

PUBLICATION DATE: Monday 29 September 2008

ORDERS: Visit www.lulu.com

ENQUIRIES to: Dr BISIKAY, PhD : drbisikay@yahoo.com / leadagement@gmail.com

BISIKAY, PhD, a global analyst and business philosopher, is the Principal of BCK International, the global M.A.D Systems consulting organisation for Strategic Personal & Organisational Development. He also heads the Global LEADAGEMENT Institute, based in London, UK, an organisation dedicated to creating the new class of superexecutives to advance the administration and governance of corporate and state organisations around the world.

BCK INTERNATIONAL AND THE GLOBAL LEADAGEMENT INSTITUTE
11 EALING HOUSE, 33 HANGER LANE, LONDON W5 3HJ, ENGLAND, UK

ahbego
Feb 28, 2009, 04:37 AM
I think the review ably demonstrates why management books are such a drag!
I was bored just past the `Preamble`, drowsy by the time I reached the `Synopsis`, and positively catatonic before I gave up at `Structure`.

£9.99 for this? Someone'd have to *pay me* much more than that to read this cr@p!

Ph3y
Mar 3, 2009, 10:16 AM
Another alternative is to purchase the audio versions of books.......I also have the problem of not being able to read books that are not novel-like.....

What i do now is to buy the audio versions, load on my shuffle and listen to it on my way to work and back cos that's about the only down time i have......By the time i do that for about a week or 2 sef [Depending on my attention span]....The message sinks by force.....

One cannot do without reading o

IZONERE
Mar 4, 2009, 11:42 AM
Another alternative is to purchase the audio versions of books.......I also have the problem of not being able to read books that are not novel-like.....

What i do now is to buy the audio versions, load on my shuffle and listen to it on my way to work and back cos that's about the only down time i have......By the time i do that for about a week or 2 sef [Depending on my attention span]....The message sinks by force.....

Hmmm....audio books. Can't bring myself to go there!:shake:

HolyPagan
Mar 7, 2009, 07:47 PM

Isn't it funny how we all differ in our preference as people.
I cannot read novels or like narratives. I can't get past page 2, no way.

It hate the prosaic narrative of novel-like writing.

I love Instructional or research type narratives.
Straight foward and to the point, no meandering around feelings,emotions, thoughts and conversations. those unecessary details kill me:D