PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Greed Dressed As Vision

Okey Ndibe
Dec 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
<p>Greed dressed as vision<p> <p> By Okey Ndibe<p> <p> Nigerian politicians are experts in delusion and greed, but inept when it comes to action. The delusion of the moment is called Vision 2020-20. This seeming mumbo jumbo actually has a meaning, and it's this: that, by 2020, Nigeria would have become one of the world's twenty largest economies in the world. It's the kind of silly fantasy that grips Abuja.<p> <p> Last October, I was asked to be part of a panel of Nigerians who discussed this latest vision fad. A reputable academic opened the discussion by suggesting that Nigeria has all it takes to "do it." By "it" he meant transporting ourselves into the company of the world's twenty robust economies.<p> <p> I have nothing against fantasy, but I also like to invite those seized by heady illusions to awake to the real world.<p> <p> I'm as impatient as any for Nigeria to rise to its promise. I'd like to see this prodigiously gifted adult-country abandon its adolescent ways. In fact, many of my waking moments are taken up with the hope that Nigeria should make it. But my version of "it" has nothing to do with the scam-in-progress misnamed Vision 2020-20. Greed has never lifted any nation to greatness.<p> <p> Instead of setting its sights on farfetched, unattainable grandeur, Nigeria should adopt feasible, achievable goals. How about striving to catch up to Ghana, Botswana, Uganda, Senegal and, if we really have it in us to excel South Africa? It's a scandal that the citizens of some of Nigeria's poorer neighbors enjoy much better standards of living than Nigerians. Ghana's strides in infrastructural development, modest as they seem to Ghanaians, are now the source of awe to Nigerians.<p> <p> I have a friend who lives in Abuja but whose job often takes him to Ghana, Senegal and other West African stops. He recently told me that he spent two weeks in Dakar, Senegal. "Not for one moment did the electricity blink much less go out," he volunteered. And then he offered this other report: "Many Nigerians now fly to Accra on weekends just to relax."<p> <p> I visited Ghana in 2002 and again in 2006, and could understand the import of my friend's observation. On my more recent trip to Ghana, I saw evidence of a country going in the right direction. The roads were better paved than they were in 2002; the streets cleaner; the electricity steadier. That's how all organisms, individuals as well nations, advance.<p> <p> Six years ago, I spent a week in Uganda where I offered workshops to young writers. I arrived at night at Entebbe Airport, and was amazed during the forty-five minute commute to the Sheraton Hotel in Kampala that streets were lit as far as the eye could see. I turned to my Ugandan driver and inquired about the reliability of electricity in the city. "It's bad," he said. "How often do you see power outages?" I asked. His answer: "Once or twice a week." "For how long at a time?" I probed. "Sometimes for one hour, sometimes two or three."<p> <p> I could hardly mask my bewilderment and sense of humiliation! At any rate, I attended events in three hotels and went to three homes, but never once heard the rumble of a generator.<p> <p> By contrast, the Nigerian narrative is one of racing gleefully backward. The odds are that many perhaps most Nigerian roads were in better shape six years ago than they are today. In the eight years that former President Olusegun Obasanjo occupied power, Nigerians witnessed a dramatic drop in power supply. And yet billions of dollars allegedly went into power plants and projects. Obasanjo's handpicked successor promised to declare a state of emergency to deal with the nation's power woes that have crippled many industries and diminished lives. Approaching the second anniversary of his controversial investiture, Yar'Adua has not found the steam or motivation to get cracking. He's ensconced in Aso Rock and enjoys round-the-clock power courtesy of mammoth generators. Who says there's an emergency?<p> <p> Most Nigerian politicians are not only inept leaders, incapable of thinking beyond their belly; they are also colorless and unoriginal in their speech. They manage the miracle of using inane speech to "rouse" the citizenry to stupor. They hear a supine phrase like "move the nation forward" and they fasten to it as if it was eloquence itself. They forget that a car in reverse gear won't move forward, period. Nigeria is in reverse gear.<p> <p> Nigeria won't can't make it to the club of the world's elite economies. Let all the nation's pastors and imams shout at heaven until their voices grow hoarse, but the "it" of Vision 2020-20 won't happen. What Nigerians should do, and can if they put their minds to it, is resolve that their less endowed neighbors like Ghana and Senegal no longer out-perform them in vital indices of development.<p> <br><br><a target="_blank" href=http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11081><b>..Read the full article</b></a><br>

Ispy
Dec 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
Its a shame!!!

The scariest part for me is that will things continue like this for another eight years as the 'Baba go slow' there right now is too preoccupied with other things e.g. his health (i hear he is again about to embark on another supposed vacation abroad!!) and does not seem to know his right from his left or what is happening around him. At least appointing capable hands into key positions would have lessened the effect of the vacuum being created by his inactivity, however even this he cant seem to get right, instead the country is now at the mercy of proven thieves and ex convicts like the Ibori's, Sarakis and Aoandakas!!!

I sincerely hope something gives and very soon too to save Nigeria from this continuous decline whilst countries like Ghana make progress in leaps and bounds!!!

igalaman55
Dec 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
the irony is that Ghana's revival was bank-rolled by loans handed over by OBJ.I think they named a few streets after the vain man,in gratitude.
Also most of our neighbours get their reliable electricity from Nigeria.

bobocarl
Dec 30, 2008, 09:21 PM
Nigeria we hail thee.

edoji
Dec 30, 2008, 09:48 PM
"Instead of setting its sights on farfetched, unattainable grandeur, Nigeria should adopt feasible, achievable goals"

How about starting with conducting a fairly credible election?

Nigeria among the 20 biggest economies in 2020? Abeg make I hear word! the whole world would go to slumber for our sake!

In 1989 there were functioning Street lights in Lagos. Where are they now?

In 1975, my town, Nnewi enjoyed public taps. Today, each family strives to have their own bore hole, their own generators, their own school....

Nigeria will be among the group of 8 industrialised countries by 2010! except that it is in my dreams:lol:

NWANZA
Dec 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'm as impatient as any for Nigeria to rise to its promise. I'd like to see this prodigiously gifted adult-country abandon its adolescent ways. In fact, many of my waking moments are taken up with the hope that Nigeria should make it. But my version of "it" has nothing to do with the scam-in-progress misnamed Vision 2020-20. Greed has never lifted any nation to greatness.

I hate to deliver this bad message - expect the worse as oil prices drop to $25 a barrel. Think outside the box "Nigeria" and things will come into focus.

Look at the history of the country - that will tell you the direction we are headed. We are not getting better in any area of measurable statistics - it is a show of shame.

This is the Vision
1. Six geographical regions.

2. Eliminate all Local government Areas created after 1980

3. Reduce power at the Federal government level.

4. Increase power at the regional government.

5. Institute a 50% derivative on mineral resources.

6. Infrastructural development of information super highway, and roadways.

7. Agricultural development/cash crops as our core competence - feed Africa.

8. Education at the grass roots - tied to family planning & population control.

9. Employment opportunities

10. Security infrastructure.

Free Publius
Dec 30, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well written article.

I dont think it is the setting of the goals that is the problem. The problem lies in the sincerity of the goal-setters. These deceitful fools have no intention to even attempt to fulfill the goals.

Mr. Ndibe and others should insist, whenever he and others are called to attend any of these silly events, that the organizers should lay out landmark, measureable, intermediate goals. Yes, Nigeria may want to become one of the top 20 economies by 2020. But, where must we be in 2010, 2015, etc. so we know we are indeed on track towards the eventual goals?

I remember back in the 1980s when Prince Bola Ajibola, then a federal minister, proclaimed that by 2000 Nigeria would send people into space. (He was promptly reminded that Nigeria couldnt even manufacture the eyeglasses Ajibola wore daily.)

Epilogue - it is now 2008 and Nigeria is STILL without reliable electricity. And our leaders are now talking about becoming one of the top 20 economies in 2020. Whatever happened to the practice of firing squads for treasonable felonies???

Free Publius

igwe
Dec 30, 2008, 11:03 PM
What Nigerians should do, and can if they put their minds to it, is resolve that their less endowed neighbors like Ghana and Senegal no longer out-perform them in vital indices of development.

From the way things are going, that would probably take at least the next 50 years, or more! And even then, it'd take a miracle.

Yes, it'll take a miracle to get someone who has been driving on the reverse gear for decades to suddenly start moving forward and to catch a glimpse of his competitors.

But that miracle may not be possible until the founder of modern Nigeria and his sympathizers are dislodged from their strangle hold on the hapless nation.

crownabbey
Dec 30, 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks Okey.

These clowns in Nigeria have vision alright. They have incredible brain power to conjecture how to setup plans to steal. Think of ingenuity that has wrought woes to us all and, that has made us all the laughing stock of people all over the world. But, still those clowns do not get it.

I laugh when I hear they want to build nuclear power pants in Nigeria! That's the kind of warped thinking these people have. They can't fix roads nor maintain airport or refinery but they have vision to build nuclear plant. It just makes you sick to the stomach the way they all think. God, what have you done to us in this country.

I don't know. A country that cannot provide for her citizens would rather spend billions of dollars or naira to hold a jamboree (world soccer tournament) while her kids cannot go to school. What a warped logic? But to them, impressing other nations takes priority to providing for it's own citizen. That's the way they think.

As you said Mr. Ndibe, it's a lot of noise or ruse to arouse the people. Nothing more. Sometimes you just wish a nuclear bomb is dropped in that country to wipe it off the map to end all the suffering or at least least wipe away all the leeches sucking that country dry with no single one of them left. You just wish. We need a hero for us God. We need a hero. Who will help us Lord?

Gbolly
Dec 31, 2008, 12:30 AM
Okey, please the next time you attend any of the government sponsored events kindly educate them about their hot puffing smoke (blind goals) and remind them that emulating neighboring countries like Ghana, Senegal would be a more attainable goal. Thank you for sharing your thoughts....

ariteni
Dec 31, 2008, 12:54 AM
Good Job! (to this writer and the eloquent members of the court)

K_Station
Dec 31, 2008, 01:36 AM
What Nigerians should do, and can if they put their minds to it, ...

What Nigerians [all of us, including myself] should do is get off our butts and rise to take back our country!

abdulmumin
Dec 31, 2008, 10:17 AM
What Nigerians [all of us, including myself] should do is get off our butts and rise to take back our country!

Talk is cheap!

We shall only get our country back when we (all of us) actively demand or fight for it!!

Homeboy
Dec 31, 2008, 10:39 AM
Let the revolution begin.Not in your cubicles in the west but the dusty streets of Nigeria. All this hot air whilst hiding under the bed is enough. If you are man enough, I dare you to start putting together a council of war. Can you even raise a million bucks from any of these armchair critics to fund a war chest? You will be shocked at how Nigerians value their lives. Bloody cowards.

datuouwadaberechi
Dec 31, 2008, 12:09 PM
Nigeria may want to become one of the top 20 economies by 2020. But, where must we be in 2010, 2015, etc. so we know we are indeed on track towards the eventual goals?

I remember back in the 1980s when Prince Bola Ajibola, then a federal minister, proclaimed that by 2000 Nigeria would send people into space. (He was promptly reminded that Nigeria couldnt even manufacture the eyeglasses Ajibola wore daily.)

Epilogue - it is now 2008 and Nigeria is STILL without reliable electricity. And our leaders are now talking about becoming one of the top 20 economies in 2020. Whatever happened to the practice of firing squads for treasonable felonies???

Free Publius

muchas gracias abeg.

datuouwadaberechi
Dec 31, 2008, 12:20 PM
Nigeria may want to become one of the top 20 economies by 2020. But, where must we be in 2010, 2015, etc. so we know we are indeed on track towards the eventual goals?

Free Publius

muchas gracias abeg.

Albany
Dec 31, 2008, 12:29 PM
Using Ghana and Senegal as reference points is taking it rather too far. Togo is a smaller and poorer country, yet they have steady power and water supply. Almost every 18+ year old that i met, when i visited in 1998 for 2 weeks, had a valid ID card. In Nigeria, even a Minister would connive with a foreign company to not only steal from the country but also deliver sub-standard products. There is just no spirit of patriotism amongst the populace.

The problem with Nigeria is that the wrong people occupy the right positions. They only think of Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba; North and South; Christianity and Islam, since they do not understand that there is a world out there that must go on, whether Nigeria gets it act together or not.

Take for instance, an International Airport in the East would make life easier for the people, create job opportunities and help decongest the city of Lagos to a large extent but it would not be constructed, because those in leadership positions do not think the people of the area deserve such a luxury.

Vision 2020-20 is a mirage. Let them keep dreaming !

SOJOURNER
Dec 31, 2008, 01:05 PM
the irony is that Ghana's revival was bank-rolled by loans handed over by OBJ.I think they named a few streets after the vain man,in gratitude.
Also most of our neighbours get their reliable electricity from Nigeria.

Ghana revival is not as a consequence of obj bankrolling them but rather as a result of a people descision to be in charge of their own destiny and not be slaves in the country of their birth .the ghana revolution broke the shackles of oppression,the master servant mentality between the rulers and the ruled was thrown into dust of history.ACCOUNTABILTY becomes the watch word.
Unfortunately nigeria is still in the state of fiefdom,where journalists are hunted down for daring to publish an unpalatable truths about men who disinherit their fellow citizens in the name of greed.Rawlings type is impossible in nigeria because the military institution like all other institutions in nigeria is corrupt.corruption cannot fight corruption.
maybe what we need is a mental revolution,attitudinal change in the way things are done.we should put more faith in our collective power to redirect our national aspiration to the common good rather than allowing few individuals to direct the affairs of the nation to selfish end.we as a people have lost hope in this simple truth'TOGETHER WE CAN'

NWANZA
Dec 31, 2008, 02:07 PM
Let the revolution begin.Not in your cubicles in the west but the dusty streets of Nigeria. All this hot air whilst hiding under the bed is enough. If you are man enough, I dare you to start putting together a council of war. Can you even raise a million bucks from any of these armchair critics to fund a war chest? You will be shocked at how Nigerians value their lives. Bloody cowards.

Sounds good, but what will be the building block around which this revolution is going to start. The civil society is not organized or visionary enough to fight for the people.

Nigerian Labor Union was a viable engine for revolution under Gov. Adam Oshinhole, but that opportunity slipped by the way side.

Nigeria do not need revolution within a revolution because of the ethnic differences that always destroy any good or promising principle.

Let's put our heads together - all of us from North to South, East and the West. We are all in the same sinking boat

i-go-better
Dec 31, 2008, 02:14 PM
Okey, Merry Christmas & Better New Year, may your days be long.

Nigerian Leaders and acronym; all these 2020-20, 7-point agenda, NEEDS, SEEDS,etc, will ultimately end up in further fattening the foreign bank accounts of the same criminal gangs just as OFN(Operation Feed the Nation) mutated into Ota Farm Nigeria(OFN)!

If these criminals can just construct Railways to link the Six geo-political Zones, 50% of the LOAD burden on the roads will be lifted resulting in the following benfits:

1. Less accidents, ie less loss of precious lives;

2. the existing roads will last longer thereby allowing planned maintenance;

3. large/small scale businesses will flourish;

4. unemployment will be reduced;

5. the citizens will hero-worship the President, elected or selected;

and, very importantly, the officials could hide under such project to steal Billions of Naira to satisfy their natural proclivity and still receive warm applauds from all of us!

When you challenge these clowns, they rationalise their wayward incompetence by reminding you that America/Europe have been practicing democracy for many years, "ours" is just developing, we should not "overheat the polity". The same politician would not buy a VW Beetle/peugeot 404 car or furnish his house/office with locally made furniture in sympathy with such rationalisation; he would go for present day America/Europe finest cars and state-of -the-arts furniture/gadgets!

i-go-better
Dec 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
Those advocating one Solution or the other are, in all honesty, just having a laugh. The fulcrum or the turbine to propel a revolution in this Country,Student Unionism, died the day Obasanjo/Ali returned to haunt Nigerians.

These days the students are either killing each other on the alter of politically induced cultism, providing thuggery or falling over each other to make Pro. Iwu-ruwuru their MAN-OF-THE-YEAR! In my days, this country would have become ungovernable long before now!

Everyone previlleged to pass through the University Institution knows how utterly detribilised the environment used to be, which confers on the students the corner stone of any responsible revolution. Any other pressure group attempt would fail except if that group consists mostly Northern elements.

Otherwise, why is it that all coups after Chukwuma KADUNA Nzeogwu's were by Northern Soldiers despite the incontrovertible facts that the defeat of Biafra was mainly by the actions of South-South and South-West citizens?

i-go-better
Dec 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
I meant privileged and detribalised in my last post; nothing to do with alcohol, just slip of the finger.

NWANZA
Dec 31, 2008, 04:19 PM
I meant privileged and detribalised in my last post; nothing to do with alcohol, just slip of the finger.

What are you smoking?

agbajo owo
Dec 31, 2008, 04:37 PM
It beats my imagination how a country on the backward trend, morally and in infrastructure can hope to attain any level at all. It is so obvious to everybody that our education, health, transport, water supply has seen retrogression that will need nothing less than 10 years to get back to the level they were years ago. What of the banking system the engine of any economy, how easy is it to borrow money to start or upgrade your business compare to years ago?

Common sense, which we know are not so common, should tell them the first step to moving forward is to stop the slide. I believe this will not generated enough personal return so they will continue with the jamboree.

igalaman55
Jan 1, 2009, 01:04 AM
please visit this link for details of OBJ's generosity to Ghana:

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=150&z=5

chrisog300@yahoo.com
Jan 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
Vision 2020 my foot, A vision 2020 where nigeria does not have a national construction and engineering company is not achievable. a vision 2020 where all the road constructions and bridges are given to chinese companies from state to fed is impossible!A vision 2020 where the chinese defrauded us by mounting kite on our skies as searchlight courtesy of ambassador coker and obasanjo , is not realistic. A vision 2020
where we have fail to bring our scientist and engineers together is not realisable, a vision 2020 where we have handed every contract to chinese and foreigners to develop our oil industry etc is bound to be sabotaged. A vision 2020 with these brainless fools as leaders is not achieveable. Tell me what is the work of sss, nia? with the present crop of security operatives who got nothing upstairs we cannot achieve vision 2020 , period.