PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Omoyele Sowore`s Saharan `Rebellion`!

Sunny Chris Okenwa
Dec 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
<p>Omoyele Sowore's Saharan 'Rebellion'!</p> <p>Omoyele Sowore is the young publisher of the hard-hitting online news source called <em>SaharaReporters (SR)</em>. His name rings a deafening bell in official quarters in Nigeria and elsewhere in cyberworld. For the Nigerian ruling cabal Sowore and his team of <em>masked</em> reporters are IT guerilla rebels, undesirable elements using the power of the internet to spread subversive materials against those <em>elected</em> to provide leadership. But for millions of Nigerians at home and abroad Omoyele Sowore is a patriotic hero who is waging an uncompromising Saharan <em>rebellion</em> against the corrupt establishment.</p> <p>This commentator, in his radical best element, proudly belongs to the latter group, that is those Nigerians who identify with the great job being done by Sowore and co against those so-called leaders who have stolen the national patrimony and turned leadership into a looting club. We salute them and encourage them but sue for caution. We sue for caution because we believe there is room for improvement of the way and manner classified information is disseminated.</p> <p>A curious visit to the website reveals a plethora of stunning scoops and pictoral materials that would make a typical Nigerian politician belonging to the looting club to be rattled and incensed. And the <em>Photospeak</em> section demonstrates the power of investigative journalism. From the President depicted pictorally as the <em>serpent leader</em> instead of the <em>servant leader</em> he chose to call himself to a $500,000.00 <em>mercedes jeep</em> bribe offered to Mrs Farida Waziri, the EFCC strongwoman; from the welcome dismissal from the police force of Nuhu Ribadu to the Babangida family's <em>loot jet</em> that took the children and their mother to Monaco it is all brimming with audacious 'seditious' news items targetting the elite, the powerful.</p> <p>The photographs published in the site that must have rankled the President himself to no end happened to be those of his handsome teenaged son, Musa, who was pictured with a shiny gun in hand ready to pull the trigger, with bundles of crispy naira notes in large quantities, cruising about in his groovy power-bike, on top of his sports car with his friend and others. These pictures were accompanied with derogatory notes against the President and his family.</p> <p>As a direct fallout of this exposé on the young Musa Yar'Adua who must have been set up and deceived into posing for some damaging shots an oath of secrecy has since been administered on the presidential staff with the State Security Service (SSS) investigating the source of those photographs. Besides, a massive manhunt for bloggers and online publishers and writers is still in progress. Mr Jonathan Elendu of <em>Elendureports</em> and Emeka Asiwe of <em>HuhuOnline</em> have both tasted the dungeons of the SSS. But by far the biggest <em>meat</em> remains Omoyele Sowore. When the federal government lays its heavy hands on him I think the devil and his dark angels would be more lenient in dealing with their disobedient indisciplined disciples. But Sowore is playing hard to get, at large.</p> <p>More significantly what I found astoundingly very interesting in the website is the report culled from the Kaduna-based &quot;Desert Herald&quot; published originally in April 2007 entitled: &quot;Yar'Adua Is Mentally Sick – Psychiatrist&quot;. According to the earth-shaking report President Yar'Adua once suffered from some mental disorder! A local psychiatric doctor who treated him, Mallam Sani Maigemu, revealed in the interview how Umaru Yar'Adua, in a lunatic fringe, was brought to the psychiatric hospital he was working and how the Aso Rock lord was chained to the ground and whipped silly in an attempt to bring some sanity back to an insane condition! He alleged that the scars of the whipping could still be seen in the President's backside.</p> <p>And when asked if Umaru Yar'Adua is now normal the local healer quipped somewhat mockingly: &quot;No, Umaru is still abnormal&quot;. He submitted that: &quot;knowing the gravity of his mental illness, I don't think he is completely okay now&quot;! Our President, an ex-victim of madness? Is that possibly believable? Why did the SSS not find out this fact before Yar'Adua was elected Governor of his Katsina State for eight uninterrupted years and before Olusegun Obasanjo virtually dragged him to the national level by <em>appointing</em> him President? Is the madness-curing Mallam still alive or dead? What about the &quot;Desert Herald&quot;? Are they still publishing?</p> <p>Why did this local healer with the natural gift of lunacy cure not keep this thankless service he rendered to our President to himself to save the Chief Executive from certain embarrassment and moral quandary? Why did he go public when he knew that the story was a shameful one, one capable of bringing the image of the President of the African giant and Commender-in-chief of our Armed Forces into disrepute? I am afraid the old Mallam had broken the Hippocratic oath, even though he was a local champion who may never have heard of this famous oath doctors worldwide are reputed to have voluntarily sworn to before practising their delicate profession of saving lives.</p> <p>Should we then believe that the insanity theory could be responsible for the <em>go-slow</em> administration in Abuja? Do we blame that ugly revelation for the apparent failure of the President to fix Nigeria for two years running in spite of his so-called seven-point agenda? Should we lay the blame of the plethora of indecisions and policy sommersaults of the Yar'Adua regime on the past mental condition of his? How much of his mentally imbalanced past is taking a toll on the quality governance of our great nation?</p> <p>There is this particularly piercing gaze in President Yar'Adua's eyes that suggests that he may have indeed suffered some bouts of <em>madness</em> in the past! But beyond what the psychiatric Mallam said it is frightening enough the contemplation that Nigerians may have been dealing with a President with a history of insanity! There is this strange mien about Yar'Adua that invites a hard thinker to study his antecedents. His strange ways in power includes playing a good listener (which ordinarily is not a bad thing) yet hearkening to few of whatever ideas sold to him. It includes <em>hiding</em> away from the public and remaining aloof whenever or whereever things are happening. His taciturnity bears marks of someone afraid of his shadows and his general attitude to power bizzare to say the least.</p> <p>For an ill-informed first-time visitor to the <em>SaharaReporters</em> website the conclusion may be drawn to the effect that <em>SR</em> has a standard editorial policy that wilfully and maliciously prescribes chiefly the embarrasment of the President and the tarnishing of the image of the first family beyond redemption. This could be as a result of apparent hatred for the <em>Mutewellan Katsina</em> or outrage at the retrogressive system he superintends. It is against this backdrop that one advices against certain exhuberance, unethical journalistic takes deducible from the sum total of <em>SR'</em>s contents.</p> <p>Unmitigated attempts are being made by the high-profile opponents of this brand of journalism to rubbish the reputation of Sowore and his &quot;Report Yourself&quot; Saharan revolution according to the &quot;student of good journalism&quot;, Solana Olumhense. That comprises the tech-war by hackers and IT mercenaries to plant a <em>virus</em> in the website with the aim of knocking it off the air, a gigantic suit by an interested party to force Sowore and co to go bankrupt after paying a huge damages in the event of failure in the law court and above all a campaign of calumny that targets Sowore's image with allegations of owning properties abroad especially in the States where he is based.</p> <p>Whilst the veracity of some of the stories in <em>SaharaReporters</em> are questionable, open for debate -- of course not a few are in bad taste, junk-journalism-friendly as it were -- no one has sued them for libel or defamation curiously. I had expected IBB to cast the first stone! But the 'evil genius' feels guilty as charged! Yet one must advice against overzealousness and recklessness as <em>SR</em> pursues its objective of sanitising the Nigerian political space for a better governance.</p> <p>Citizen Omoyele Sowore may have been declared unofficially <em>persona-non-grata</em> in Nigeria and he dares not return home to his country soon, a country he loves so passionately and contributes his critical quota towards her salvation. But if he shows up one day defiantly I think President Yar'Adua and Afrykiya Gadzama, the SSS boss, will definitely love to have him for a dinner or breakfast.</p> <p>SOC Okenwa<p> <a href="mailto:soco_abj_2006_rci@hotmail.fr" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><u>soco_abj_2006_rci@hotmail.fr</u></a></p><br><br><a target="_blank" href=http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11066><b>..Read the full article</b></a><br>

ariteni
Dec 30, 2008, 12:39 AM
"Obasanjo is a killer". Who do we believe: Orji Kalu or Omoyele Sowore?

Zanderlex
Dec 30, 2008, 05:43 AM
What is the point of this article Mr Okenwa? I don't understand, are you jealous of Sowore or what?

Profegee
Dec 30, 2008, 06:22 AM
What makes a rebel? Baseless, malicious arguments. Think of something more thought provoking.

Olamide
Dec 30, 2008, 08:07 AM
We may have problem about Sahara Reporters or Omoyele Sowore but my surprise is that none of the 'aggrieved' parties being negatively reported on the website have ever gone to court to contest what was published against them. Is it true that IBB has the jet or not? Was he in Monaco with the jet and how did he manage to purchase a private jet? Is it true that our president was once 'mad'? Are all the other reports true? Are the documents faked?
Is the picture of the bad road and collapsed bridge at Sokori, Abeokuta faked?. Are those other pictures doctored? What is our President's son doing holding a gun and where did the money on the ground came from? Who set who up? Was Alao-Akala the same as Christopher Bayo-Akala, the former Police Officer as published by SR? Was Ibori convicted twice in London? Why is Ibori not in court to defend his 'good' name if he has a good name?

Let us call a spade a spade and accept the fact that Sahara Reporters' mode of journalism might be embarrassing but that does not make it 'subversive' as implied in the article. Those whose oxes are gored should head to the courts to seek redress.

chaos.com
Dec 30, 2008, 09:44 AM
Is this the same guy that was ULSU president in 1993--1994?

Just making sure there are not 2 of them

ikechukwu
Dec 30, 2008, 10:17 AM
S.C. Okenwa, it is obvious you don’t like SR and his publishers. You have used a funny style in coming into his case. You surely don’t like his stories. you have searched through all his stories without any to debunk, to the extent that you have made yourself the unofficial attorney to UMYA's son (Musa). That photo of Musa in a saner country is enough to throw UMYA out of office, but you chose to trivialize it because you must debunk the story.

Out of nothing to attack, you even went as far as trying to attack the story SR only reproduced. A story that has been all over town by a kaduna newspaper. You tried to make that story the main story to attack just because you must hit at sowore. He is surely reporting what you dare not do.

SR has done so many complex and complicated reports that were surprisingly confirmed. In a different clime where probity and accountability is encouraged he would have been nominated for an award, but this is Nigeria.

The way you wrote about Sowore shows you don’t even know him, this was a man who fought cultism in Unilag (1994) to a stand still even when Dambaba( the former police commissioner) was playing the ostrich. He was injected with lead with the purpose of killing him in the presence of some students, yet that did not dither him. He was part and parcel of the June 12 struggle even when a lot chickened out and became Government contractors. He joined Elendure reports for his brand of investigative journalism, but when Jonathan started choosing merchandize instead of journalism he left him. I can go on and on. Little surprise to the massive success of his brand of journalism as exemplified in SR.

Okenwa I know your type. Just tell your man to buckle up at least he has bribed the SC justices and he has won. So what is still hampering him?

Adeola Aderounmu
Dec 30, 2008, 10:25 AM
Is this the same guy that was ULSU president in 1993--1994?

Just making sure there are not 2 of them

Yes, it's the same Sowore.

Olamide
Dec 30, 2008, 12:59 PM
Why are they afraid of Omoyele Sowore? Because they have skeletons in their cupboards.

overdryv
Dec 30, 2008, 05:41 PM
This articles has unmasked this author for what he really is- someone waiting in the wings to take up government appointment like Segun Adeniyi. You and Sowore are playing in different leagues. You must be a cunning serpent not to see the truths Sowore has been churning out. Why does his "rebellion" pricks you more than the lawlessness and illegality of Yar'adua government? I am not surprised by your antics. You have been one Igbo man that choose to write on the conflicts between the Oba of Benin and Igbinedion even when Bini sons would not touch the topic. Are there not enough problems worth of discussion in Igboland? Ordinarily I'd not read your articles but your mention of Sowore caught my eye. I dont take lightly to any one who is blind to the sacrifices Sowore is making. Whether you ask for proof or not, Sowore has been approached by the agents of government with material and financial inducements and he rejected them all. This is what Nigerian regimes are known to do best.

SOC Okenwa
Dec 30, 2008, 06:13 PM
Overdryy or whatever you choose to call yourself.

I laugh at your emotional outburst and ignorance. So like Segun Adeniyi, I am writing in praise of Yar'Adua for a job, abi? Arrant nonsense!

So because I am an Igboman I have no right to write about the royal rumble in Benin City, abi? If you are afraid of the 'Esama' of Benin, Chief Igbinedion, know for sure that I am not.

Sowore has my respect and support but that does not stop me from pointing out areas of improvement in his SaharaReporters site.

Whoever is confusing my position to score a cheap point has my pity.

Zanderlex
Dec 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=SOC Okenwa;306543]Overdryy .
"Whoever is confusing my position to score a cheap point has my pity."

MR Okenwa we really hold you in high esteem as a great Igboman and I read all your articles. You can write whatever you like however you like but bear in mind that the young and the weak are looking up to you. Ordinarily you belong to the same class of respected citizens journalists like Sowore, and the expectation is something constructive when you decide to write about your peers. I really think you need to back track and re-examine this your article.

overdryv
Dec 31, 2008, 10:40 AM
Overdryy or whatever you choose to call yourself.

I laugh at your emotional outburst and ignorance. So like Segun Adeniyi, I am writing in praise of Yar'Adua for a job, abi? Arrant nonsense!

So because I am an Igboman I have no right to write about the royal rumble in Benin City, abi? If you are afraid of the 'Esama' of Benin, Chief Igbinedion, know for sure that I am not.

Sowore has my respect and support but that does not stop me from pointing out areas of improvement in his SaharaReporters site.

There is hardly anything for me to say. All the message is contained in my first post. If you a young writer, would deem it fit to criticize SR, what hope is there for this generation? You are critical of one of your own who is taking on an evil corrupt dictatorship packaged as a democracy, a regime that is responsible for your self imposed exile in Cote D'voire. If you are one who practices introspection, you'd know from the few responses that everyone cannot be wrong. But as with majority of Nigerians you'd find a way to justify yourself. In this case, its people trying to score cheap points at your expense. In the past, I have hard cause to commend you on some of your writings but then you started to derail. Why dont you leave the Binis to write on their royalty?

Profegee
Jan 1, 2009, 07:17 AM

Your original presentation is contrary to your recent position in bold. Be more objective in your criticism.