PDA

View Full Version : Apple, Almonds, etc.... keep that brain SMART!

Oluwato
Nov 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/12-simple-ways-to-supercharge-your-brain-293892/

I just love the first two of the 12 ways:

Here are some things you can begin doing as soon as today to begin the great brain tune up:

Eat Almonds
Almond is believed to improve memory. If a combination of almond oil and milk is taken together before going to bed or after getting up at morning, it strengthens our memory power. Almond milk is prepared by crushing the almonds without the outer cover and adding water and sugar to it.

Drink Apple Juice
Research from the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML) indicates that apple juice increases the production of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, resulting in an increased memory power.

To read more, check the link!

katampe
Nov 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Oluwato,

Does one blend the almonds and strain for milk, like how one does 4 coconut milk?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/12-simple-ways-to-supercharge-your-brain-293892/

I just love the first two of the 12 ways:

Here are some things you can begin doing as soon as today to begin the great brain tune up:

Eat Almonds
Almond is believed to improve memory. If a combination of almond oil and milk is taken together before going to bed or after getting up at morning, it strengthens our memory power. Almond milk is prepared by crushing the almonds without the outer cover and adding water and sugar to it.

Drink Apple Juice
Research from the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML) indicates that apple juice increases the production of the essential neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, resulting in an increased memory power.

To read more, check the link!

Soul Sista
Nov 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Katampe:

You do it like you would do coconut milk. You can also buy organic almond milk to save time. I don't drink cow milk in the U.S. anymore so most times I buy almond milk and use it instead.

Soul Sista a/k/a Soul Sizzling

Unregistre
Nov 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
na wa o for this discovery o; so if one go for food store(wey dem dey call grocery) instead of buying reqular milk one should look for the one wey dem write Almond milk abi, just to make sure that I know where to look for this wonderful milk. Hope the thing be like reqular milk o.

Soul Sista
Nov 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
Unregistre:

It looks quite similar to regular milk. It is not the same taste. It is not an unpleasant taste but it might take some getting used to.

If you want it organic, you can buy the Pacific Natural brand. You can get that at many (but not all) Whole Foods stores. It is in an orangy/browny carton. The other brand that I buy when I cannot get Pacific Natural is Blue Diamond Natural. It is not organic. You will probably find it in many large grocery stores (Giant, Shoprite, Safeway Whole Foods). It is, surprise, surprise, in a largely blue colored carton. Good luck!

katampe
Nov 25, 2008, 11:24 PM
Soul Sizzling:

I was at the bulk food section of the grocery store last week, I thought I could grab the almonds, but the grain baskets were empty.I might have to go with your recommendation organic almond milk.

I don't know whether anyone tries this, but sometimes when you strain soya beans for its milk, the chaff comes readily useful for other things. I find it quite useful to mix it with garri when preparing eba.

Personally, I get nauseated if I have to eat use white garri alone for eba, much more comfortable with yellow garri, but since I don't get much of that around here, I prefer mixing the chaff from grains strained for milk.I was hoping to do that with the left over from straining the almond for milk, but might have to wait a bit.

I am not your typical naija person when it comes to eating traditional food, I experiment a lot with mine. Sometimes because, I need to enrich with my diet , and another because I have lived and eaten all sorts while in Nigeria, as such I more open to variety.

Katampe:

You do it like you would do coconut milk. You can also buy organic almond milk to save time. I don't drink cow milk in the U.S. anymore so most times I buy almond milk and use it instead.

Unregistre
Nov 26, 2008, 02:06 AM
Thks SS.

Katampe; stop eating gari and start eating fiber. gari no be fiber ke.

katampe
Nov 26, 2008, 02:11 AM
when u jazz it up with chaff, you fortify it with vitamins and fibre ni yen naija style. At least you are guaranteed your eba and some okra soup or ogbono , whichever way you want it. The veggies with modified eba go supply the needed fibre believe me .:D

Thks SS.

Katampe; stop eating gari and start eating fiber. gari no be fiber ke.

emj
Nov 26, 2008, 02:41 AM
Unregister et al......una brain never sharp reach? Chei:eek::p

emj
Nov 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
You can use Almond milk in your Smoothies too...i use Soy Milk and Almond Milk at times(takes getting use to)...it's available in the organic section of most Super Stores..add Salba Seeds to make it more interesting;)

purple
Dec 2, 2008, 02:49 AM
SS,

are you trying to reduce the quantity of US milk products you ingest or are you trying to cut it out of your diet entirely?

I ask cos, US milk is found in so many diary products and foods (cheese, pizza, puddings, yogurt, cookies, pastries ati be be lo)

Katampe:

Soul Sista
Dec 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
SS,

are you trying to reduce the quantity of US milk products you ingest or are you trying to cut it out of your diet entirely?

I ask cos, US milk is found in so many diary products and foods (cheese, pizza, puddings, yogurt, cookies, pastries ati be be lo)

I can't cut it out totally. So, drastically reduce the quantity of US milk products is the answer. Too many hormones messing with one's system. And, when I do take these products, I try to take organic. It is not always easy, one can only try.

Soul Sista

Oluwato
Dec 9, 2008, 06:02 AM
And so I eat more nuts! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/ap_on_he_me/med_nuts_diet

Oluwato
Oct 9, 2009, 08:27 PM
So the almonds were keeping me skinny, time to go get another bag :). I'm not doing that swiss cheese thing. http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/12893/8-foods-that-fight-fat/