PDA

View Full Version : Help getting a green card

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 05:47 PM
I have two ladies who need help getting a green card within the next six months. Who can assist?

Tamedu
Oct 23, 2008, 05:54 PM
Only you can

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 06:19 PM
If I could, I would have. Are there Nigerian-American Entrepreneurs willing to sponsor?

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 07:10 PM
If I could, I would have. Are there Nigerian-American Entrepreneurs willing to sponsor?

What is required? Maybe i can help.

ISL
Oct 23, 2008, 08:16 PM
Are they open to the idea of polygamy? I could be of help

Ph3y
Oct 23, 2008, 09:22 PM
419 poster...................

.bebi
Oct 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
Why the urgency?

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
The urgency is because their visas will soon run out. No, this is not 419. This is real life. There is mainly three ways by which one gets a green card, legally (1) visa lottery (2) marriage to US citizens and 93) sponsorship by a US Firm. They would like the third option.

Big-K
Oct 23, 2008, 09:59 PM
DV Lottery 2010
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html#2

AV
Perhaps a more detailed background may help, rather than one-liners

Tola Odejayi
Oct 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
The urgency is because their visas will soon run out. No, this is not 419. This is real life. There is mainly three ways by which one gets a green card, legally (1) visa lottery (2) marriage to US citizens and 93) sponsorship by a US Firm. They would like the third option.
I don't think that sponsorship by a US firm gives you a green card immediately... it's a route that can take a long while, and even then most companies may not want to do this for you because of the cost of helping you file for your green card. In addition, you have to have a valid visa status while your card is being filed for.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 10:03 PM
2010 lottery will not be a reality before July 2009 when selection is made. Their visas would have expired by then. It is also not a guarantee for these ladies or any participant. Right now, they need sponsorship. Any Nigerian owned Firm (with adequate financial base) can create a position that can sponsor them. Thanks.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 10:11 PM
I don't think that sponsorship by a US firm gives you a green card immediately... it's a route that can take a long while, and even then most companies may not want to do this for you because of the cost of helping you file for your green card. In addition, you have to have a valid visa status while your card is being filed for.

The fees are under $500 and the process has been shortened due to the May 2007 review of immigration laws. The process is quite straight forward, (1) registration of Firm as a PERM applicant with immigration (free), (2) advert for the position (less than $100), (3) issue of job offer, application to Department of labor (DOL) for labor certification (free), (4) application to immigration for adjustment of status based on DOL document ($200-$400 - involves finger printing etc.). The process takes about 2-6 months! that's why the ladies prefer that the process begin now!

If there is an Entrepreneur willing to assist, you can order the steps for labor certification from http://www.usaia.org/ Thanks!

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.usaia.org/lc.htm This is the specific page that deals with the labor certification. It costs $88.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 23, 2008, 10:37 PM
Lastly, whoever can assist should get in touch with Admin and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Ph3y
Oct 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yes i agree it's not 419, it's called cyber fraud........................

Anonymous Villager
Oct 24, 2008, 04:12 PM

I can help with option 2. :confused:

salstep
Oct 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
Lastly, whoever can assist should get in touch with Admin and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Hmmmm. "Get in touch with admin" make it seem like an NVS led initiative. Don't the mere fact its been discussed in a public forum make it illegal?

Anonymous Villager
Oct 24, 2008, 04:22 PM
The fees are under $500 and the process has been shortened due to the May 2007 review of immigration laws. The process is quite straight forward, (1) registration of Firm as a PERM applicant with immigration (free), (2) advert for the position (less than $100), (3) issue of job offer, application to Department of labor (DOL) for labor certification (free), (4) application to immigration for adjustment of status based on DOL document ($200-$400 - involves finger printing etc.). The process takes about 2-6 months! that's why the ladies prefer that the process begin now!

If there is an Entrepreneur willing to assist, you can order the steps for labor certification from http://www.usaia.org/ Thanks!

Hmm where did you get this information from? i am currently going through this process and have spent nothing less that $5,000 (including attorney fees). The process doesn't take just 2-6 months.... the ad's for one have to run for about a month i believe, then the selection and interview process, then they have to wait for certain immigration timelines.
Besides that you don't just get a GC automatically. most times, you'll need to start from somewhere... the h1b perhaps.
I would advice that they first involve a good lawyer. Lawyers can be expensive but very helpful i can recommend the one my company uses. Let me know if you want his contact information. Next just to make sure they don't run out of status while searching for a nigerian entrepreneur/job that can file for them, I advice that they enroll into a community college to get an F1 visa inorder to buy time before their current visas expire.
While in school they should continue to look for jobs/and internships, hopefully they'll find one that will file. It is true that many companies/entrepreneurs shy away from paying costly immigration fees. Upon the advice of some villagers and friends, during my interview at my current company, i told them my situation, and offered to pay some of the fees if it will pose a problem. They have filed for my GC already although i had to pay some of the fees.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 25, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hmm where did you get this information from?

Did you check the usaia.org link?

i am currently going through this process and have spent nothing less that $5,000 (including attorney fees). The process doesn't take just 2-6 months.... the ad's for one have to run for about a month i believe, then the selection and interview process, then they have to wait for certain immigration timelines.
Besides that you don't just get a GC automatically. most times, you'll need to start from somewhere... the h1b perhaps.

What you paid as attorney fees could have been saved by utilizing the labor certification kit by USAIA. The ad and interview must occur 30 days before DOL filing, and approval from DOL can take 60 days to 2 years (this process is free - confirm with your attorney) and with that document, the petition for permanent residency is filed [form I-140 http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4a5a4154d7b3d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD] - that costs $475.

Immigration will not allow the alien to pay the fee above based on the proclamation of May 17, 2007, however, once the petition is approved, the beneficiary can pay the adjustment of status fees ($1010) which is the green card!

H1b is a non immigrant visa (one of the ladies is on H1b), it is not a necessary step for permanent residency. Most attorneys offer it as an option because it is valid for three years at a time, so that the alien does not run out of status.

Based on the approved labor certification (which is only valid for 180 days), the immigrant petition is filed and with ($1,000, payable by alien) - for premium processing, the petition is processed within 15 days. This approval allows the alien to work and process the GC at the same time.

Thanks!

Anonymous Villager
Oct 25, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hmmmm. "Get in touch with admin" make it seem like an NVS led initiative. Don't the mere fact its been discussed in a public forum make it illegal?

Your definition of illegal is wrong. It is not criminal to desire a green card nor criminal to request assistance in the acquisition of one. If you can't contribute positively, kindly stay away.

Admin is aware of the plight of these ladies and shall connect willing entrepreneurs to them. This was posted in the palava hut and anonymously to ensure that things are done decently and in order.

Thank you!

salstep
Oct 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Your definition of illegal is wrong. It is not criminal to desire a green card nor criminal to request assistance in the acquisition of one. If you can't contribute positively, kindly stay away.

Admin is aware of the plight of these ladies and shall connect willing entrepreneurs to them. This was posted in the palava hut and anonymously to ensure that things are done decently and in order.

Thank you!

My apologies.

omojeje
Oct 25, 2008, 10:08 AM
@AV1,
Option 3

What do the these people do? If they have limited time to their visas, I don't think option 3 will be the fastest. I don't know much about H1 but I do know a lot about getting approve for 1-140 then 1-485. Currently, their are no visa numbers so your best bet is H1 and not green card procedure if the people in question want option 3.

What kind of visa do they have?
What do they do?

This is very important if they want change of status with option 3.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 25, 2008, 04:51 PM
@AV1,
Option 3

What do the these people do? If they have limited time to their visas, I don't think option 3 will be the fastest. I don't know much about H1 but I do know a lot about getting approve for 1-140 then 1-485. Currently, their are no visa numbers so your best bet is H1 and not green card procedure if the people in question want option 3.

What kind of visa do they have?
What do they do?

This is very important if they want change of status with option 3.

Check your PM for response. Thanks!

Anonymous Villager
Oct 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
I can help with option 2. :confused:

I almost missed this. For real? These ladies want real love though! Are you ready to settle down? You would still have to go through the Admin route. Thanks!

Abikemi
Oct 30, 2008, 06:52 PM
Why cant they just go back home or apply for a change of status to international student status in the time being?

Anonymous Villager
Oct 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
Why cant they just go back home or apply for a change of status to international student status in the time being?

If they have to go back home they will, they're not on exile from Nigeria :smile: As par international student status, the process has been so "commercialized" that both ladies do not prefer that route. It's up to them though, for now, their first desire is to work and remain in the work force, having invested so much in their careers and in this nation.

Abikemi
Oct 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
Thats understandable.

They can ALWAYS find work with a non-profit organization: universities, hospitals, that'll file their H-1B petitions, and if their employer likes them enough, they may end up sponsoring them for a green card.

Was it you or someone else that mentioned earlier that the GC process can be finished in 3-4 months? If so, that is NOT true! far from it...it takes 2-3 years for such to happen. The only way one can obtain a GC that fast is thru marriage to a US citizen. Which must be a bonafide marriage, one where there's proof of a real relationship.

good luck to them. Again, they shd try the H-1B with a non-profit organization. or go back home ;)

If they have to go back home they will, they're not on exile from Nigeria :smile: As par international student status, the process has been so "commercialized" that both ladies do not prefer that route. It's up to them though, for now, their first desire is to work and remain in the work force, having invested so much in their careers and in this nation.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thats understandable.

They can ALWAYS find work with a non-profit organization: universities, hospitals, that'll file their H-1B petitions, and if their employer likes them enough, they may end up sponsoring them for a green card.

Was it you or someone else that mentioned earlier that the GC process can be finished in 3-4 months? If so, that is NOT true! far from it...it takes 2-3 years for such to happen. The only way one can obtain a GC that fast is thru marriage to a US citizen. Which must be a bonafide marriage, one where there's proof of a real relationship.

good luck to them. Again, they shd try the H-1B with a non-profit organization. or go back home ;)

As I wrote earlier, one of the ladies has an H1-B visa. The issue is if the employer likes and it appears the employer likes not or rather, prefers to exploit, in other words, the employer prefers to keep her only on H1-B, this is an exploitation of the opportunistic environment and current "bad" economy. The second lady has learnt from the first lady's experience and wishes only to do H1-b with the inception of labor certification. The first lady's H1-b is with a non-profit organization. Not all Non-profits, hospitals and Universities are open to filling for immigrants as before. Non of the ladies have RN degrees, if they did, things would have been easier. They are however graduates, hard working and very professional.

That's why they both require assistance from Nigerian Americans Entrepreneurs who are aware of the "issues" regarding immigration. H1-b costs about $3,000 and based on the size of the organization, the fees include $750 - $1500 payment to a fund for US citizen training (the first lady in this case paid all these fees!).

I wrote earlier that the process takes a short time, because of the "rights" involved. While the ladies may not get their green cards within 2-6 months, their rights for the green card (approved labor certification plus filing of adjustment of status and filing of permanent working permit - that is the order, by the way) can be done within 2-6 months and with this, they are protected!

If potential bachelors want to be introduced to the ladies, that can be arranged, but this must be a honest, non fraudulent desire. It is a felony to marry just for green card!

Both ladies are educated with one having a masters degree. I hope all "questions" have been answered. This is a first time for me so if I have not "packaged" these cases properly, I sincerely apologize.

Those who can assist should kindly do so.

Thank you.

emj
Oct 31, 2008, 02:08 AM
If potential bachelors want to be introduced to the ladies, that can be arranged, but this must be a honest, non fraudulent desire. It is a felony to marry just for green card!

Eherm AV...dats arrangee marriage .....is there a likelyhood of potential bachelors falling in love within a very short time....hmmm, dis might be a felony o...dat is marrying them for Green-Card.:confused1

Anywaz, goodluck working on this...cheers:arrow:

Anonymous Villager
Oct 31, 2008, 02:54 AM
Eherm AV...dats arrangee marriage .....is there a likelyhood of potential bachelors falling in love within a very short time....hmmm, dis might be a felony o...dat is marrying them for Green-Card.:confused1

Anywaz, goodluck working on this...cheers:arrow:

Not necessarily... love happens in seconds for some, minutes for some, weeks for others, months for some and years for others... it's a case by case basis! Some people have been known to fall in love and marry within 3 weeks and twenty years still growing strong... it depends on the people involved.

DaBishop
Oct 31, 2008, 03:39 AM
Be alerted Anon...
That from informed persons, the US immigration almost always have a presumption of 'arangee marriage' for Naijas. The guy/gal may have chased you and begged you for marriage and promised you heaven on earth, but if you are naija, the authorities presume that you married to remain in Yankee and may treat you as such...especially if the time of ya courtship is short...although them Britney can marry after ONE week of meeting.

Further, debate of this issue on this forum especially regarding arrangee marriages validates claims of persons who already take a dim view always of Nigeria and Naijas, however honest and may treat us different from other immigrants with the same or similar set of facts.

Whatever you do, do not plan for arrangee marriage, it may be a set-up...Eastern Europeans, Irish and Italians can do it, Nigerians are disobeying the law and should not do so at all at all. it is against the law.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 31, 2008, 05:05 AM
Be alerted Anon...
That from informed persons, the US immigration almost always have a presumption of 'arangee marriage' for Naijas. The guy/gal may have chased you and begged you for marriage and promised you heaven on earth, but if you are naija, the authorities presume that you married to remain in Yankee and may treat you as such...especially if the time of ya courtship is short...although them Britney can marry after ONE week of meeting.

Further, debate of this issue on this forum especially regarding arrangee marriages validates claims of persons who already take a dim view always of Nigeria and Naijas, however honest and may treat us different from other immigrants with the same or similar set of facts.

Whatever you do, do not plan for arrangee marriage, it may be a set-up...Eastern Europeans, Irish and Italians can do it, Nigerians are disobeying the law and should not do so at all at all. it is against the law.

Thanks. As I mentioned earlier, the ladies are only interested in true love. Thanks again.

chaos.com
Oct 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
Phew boy am i glad i do not need this green card. The thing be like say nay life blood, abi na intravenous liquid?

Abikemi
Oct 31, 2008, 03:53 PM
Bros/Sis, hold on. The employer is not being "oppourtunistic" as you call it. Which employer in THIS day and age, would upfront without knowing the lady's work ethics, just agree to sponsor her on a green card like that? THese employers too are smart now! They KNOW that as soon as such decision is made and the green card comes through, employees run out the door! And they've (employer) has just lost thousands of $ invested in this one person. But if this lady proves herself, and I mean she works HARD and diligently, am sure she will find an employer that will sponsor her. The H-1B is given for 6 years, so there IS time to chill:rolleyes:

The second lady needs to go find employment too in the H-1B field. As you can probably tell, this is along the lines of what I do. NO employer, and I mean NONE, will at the onset agree to sponsor your labor certification the moment you sign an offer letter saying you'll work for them. Such a decision is considered dumb and stupid, therefore they wont do it. If these ladies are smart, they'll go ahead, accept the H-1B offer, and work their tails off (no offense) and get the favor of their employer. At the end of the day, its the employer that'll see the great things they'll miss out on if they DONT sponsor their GC, and more than likey will sponsor them. Again, there is a 6 yr period here. !

Be careful, very careful of introducing them to eligible bachelors, or having them go through some Nigerian Entreprenuer this or that. Be VERY careful. There are thousands of Indian, Chinese folks who file their own cases and win EVERY year through good and hard work. There are provisions in the labor certification process where these ladies can SPONSOR themselves. Dont be in such a hurry to push them into what you think might be better for them. My advise (as a professional in this field) still stands. Have them work hard at their jobs, for the next 2-3 years, and then they file for the GC. In the long run, they'll have peace of mind doing it that way. What if the eligible bachelor turns out to be a horrible husband? One who feels entitled to beat them black/blue because he sponsored them for their papers? Again, I say be careful.

Shalom :biggrin:

As I wrote earlier, one of the ladies has an H1-B visa. The issue is if the employer likes and it appears the employer likes not or rather, prefers to exploit, in other words, the employer prefers to keep her only on H1-B, this is an exploitation of the opportunistic environment and current "bad" economy. The second lady has learnt from the first lady's experience and wishes only to do H1-b with the inception of labor certification. The first lady's H1-b is with a non-profit organization. Not all Non-profits, hospitals and Universities are open to filling for immigrants as before. Non of the ladies have RN degrees, if they did, things would have been easier. They are however graduates, hard working and very professional.

That's why they both require assistance from Nigerian Americans Entrepreneurs who are aware of the "issues" regarding immigration. H1-b costs about $3,000 and based on the size of the organization, the fees include $750 - $1500 payment to a fund for US citizen training (the first lady in this case paid all these fees!).

I wrote earlier that the process takes a short time, because of the "rights" involved. While the ladies may not get their green cards within 2-6 months, their rights for the green card (approved labor certification plus filing of adjustment of status and filing of permanent working permit - that is the order, by the way) can be done within 2-6 months and with this, they are protected!

Both ladies are educated with one having a masters degree. I hope all "questions" have been answered. This is a first time for me so if I have not "packaged" these cases properly, I sincerely apologize.

Those who can assist should kindly do so.

Thank you.

Anonymous Villager
Oct 31, 2008, 10:23 PM
But if this lady proves herself, and I mean she works HARD and diligently, am sure she will find an employer that will sponsor her. The H-1B is given for 6 years, so there IS time to chill:rolleyes:

Your statement above shows you haven't seen much in life. You have not seen exploitation at all, and I pray that you do not. I'll leave it at that.

The second lady needs to go find employment too in the H-1B field. As you can probably tell, this is along the lines of what I do. NO employer, and I mean NONE, will at the onset agree to sponsor your labor certification the moment you sign an offer letter saying you'll work for them. Such a decision is considered dumb and stupid, therefore they wont do it. If these ladies are smart, they'll go ahead, accept the H-1B offer, and work their tails off (no offense) and get the favor of their employer. At the end of the day, its the employer that'll see the great things they'll miss out on if they DONT sponsor their GC, and more than likey will sponsor them. Again, there is a 6 yr period here. !

Be careful, very careful of introducing them to eligible bachelors, or having them go through some Nigerian Entreprenuer this or that. Be VERY careful. There are thousands of Indian, Chinese folks who file their own cases and win EVERY year through good and hard work. There are provisions in the labor certification process where these ladies can SPONSOR themselves. Dont be in such a hurry to push them into what you think might be better for them. My advise (as a professional in this field) still stands. Have them work hard at their jobs, for the next 2-3 years, and then they file for the GC. In the long run, they'll have peace of mind doing it that way. What if the eligible bachelor turns out to be a horrible husband? One who feels entitled to beat them black/blue because he sponsored them for their papers? Again, I say be careful.

Shalom :biggrin:

Obviously from the paragraphs above, you have not fully read my initial posts! I urge you to go back and re-read. One of the ladies is almost completing her 6 years of H1-b without promise of GC sponsorship from the employer. Why? There are many US citizens with lower degrees ready to take her job for less pay, the economy is tight. It's got nothing to do with hard work or loyalty. If she had known her options at the begininng, she would have tied in labor certification in addition to the H1-b 6 years ago. That's why it's exploitation. The second lady is learning from her! There's no law that says an employer must file for an alien and investing 6 years with no guarantee and plain hope is ... I won't say it.

Comparing Nigerians with Asians is pretty uneven to say the least. Many Asians sponsor Asians through their restaurant networks, Asians have been here for longer years than Nigerians, Asians do not have the "419" image of Nigerians to deal with or the "dark skin" bias, neither do they "disagree" in public as do Nigerians.

Every provision for self-sponsorship involves the consent of the employer, even if it is a national waiver (the ladies do not have PhD anyway) and no one is pushing them to do arrangee marriage. Also, it is not illegal for them to fall in love and marry. A Nigerian American Entrepeneur already knows where they stand and can work with them for the first years of their papers and then let them go without any animosity or misguided favoritism. If the relationship continues beyond that (and it may), it is still within their consent. If I didn't think that there were considerate and responsible Nigerians on this board, I wouldn't have posted the ladies stories here.

Henceforth, if no one has something positive to add, let them just walk on by.

Thank you.

crimsonbabe
Nov 3, 2008, 07:37 PM
Your statement above shows you haven't seen much in life. You have not seen exploitation at all, and I pray that you do not. I'll leave it at that.

Obviously from the paragraphs above, you have not fully read my initial posts! I urge you to go back and re-read. One of the ladies is almost completing her 6 years of H1-b without promise of GC sponsorship from the employer. Why? There are many US citizens with lower degrees ready to take her job for less pay, the economy is tight. It's got nothing to do with hard work or loyalty. If she had known her options at the begininng, she would have tied in labor certification in addition to the H1-b 6 years ago. That's why it's exploitation. The second lady is learning from her! There's no law that says an employer must file for an alien and investing 6 years with no guarantee and plain hope is ... I won't say it.

Comparing Nigerians with Asians is pretty uneven to say the least. Many Asians sponsor Asians through their restaurant networks, Asians have been here for longer years than Nigerians, Asians do not have the "419" image of Nigerians to deal with or the "dark skin" bias, neither do they "disagree" in public as do Nigerians.

Every provision for self-sponsorship involves the consent of the employer, even if it is a national waiver (the ladies do not have PhD anyway) and no one is pushing them to do arrangee marriage. Also, it is not illegal for them to fall in love and marry. A Nigerian American Entrepeneur already knows where they stand and can work with them for the first years of their papers and then let them go without any animosity or misguided favoritism. If the relationship continues beyond that (and it may), it is still within their consent. If I didn't think that there were considerate and responsible Nigerians on this board, I wouldn't have posted the ladies stories here.

Henceforth, if no one has something positive to add, let them just walk on by.

Thank you.

AV

If this is time sensitive, i dont think the PERM process will help. The best thing IMHO is file a H1B extension for lady 1 and get a job to file H1B for lady 2 or both enroll in a school and get F1.

Dont know if you already have all the answers you need. You say that Lady #1 is finishing her 6 years H1-B. What year is she, year 6? if so, has she considered filing a 7th year extention. I know there are some conditions, but its pretty common nowadays.

I really dont see why lady #2 is not willing to consider H1B.. What is her status today (sorry if you answered this already)? Frankly if she has the opportunity of H1B, I would take it if i were in her shoes.

Dont sure who said that GC under the PERM process takes 2 - 6 months. Thats is absolutley impossible (though i may have misread the post). Recruitment alone may well take 3 months. From HR getting the job description ready, posting for 30 days, waiting for responses and giving them adequate time and responses. Thats easily 3 months. Then you file LC, that can take anything from 1 month to 1 year. I know folks at both ends of the spectrum.

Then time needed to get all the required info to file I-140 and I-485 (concurrently if your priority date is current). Assuming that you have multiple past employers, getting experience letters from them may be difficult or time consuming, then you do the medical, most lawyers would advise that you dont do the medical till your LC is approved as it may expire. then all the numerous letters from the company. Again this could take anything from 1 month to 3 months.

Then if you are anything but EB1 and EB2 categories, there will be no visa numbers for you so you cannot file 140 and 485 concurrently. If you are EB1 or EB2, This final concurrent stage can take anything from 3 months to 9 months.

CB