PDA

View Full Version : Building a Website

Miliki Way
Oct 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
Here is a layman question for IT tech-savvy villagers. I want to build a family website all by myself but I haven't got a clue where or how to start. I know it will be all too easy to pay a web designer to build it for me but I'm not in a hurry and I'd much rather prefer to build it by myself so I can infuse my own originality into it and most importantly learn something new. Besides, I feel very confident that I can do this as I've used very complicated softwares/programs before in school and even at work.

So what is the best resource (preferrably books) for learning how to build and publish a professional-looking website? I am thinking resource(s) that is easy to understand by a layman and/or some sort of self-tutored resource.

And what programs/softwares should I start with or focus on? HTML? Java?

Thanks!

Miliki Way

PS - I've already bought and registered a website name.

denker
Oct 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
Here is a layman question for IT tech-savvy villagers. I want to build a family website all by myself but I haven't got a clue where or how to start. I know it will be all too easy to pay a web designer to build it for me but I'm not in a hurry and I'd much rather prefer to build it by myself so I can infuse my own originality into it and most importantly learn something new. Besides, I feel very confident that I can do this as I've used very complicated softwares/programs before in school and even at work.

So what is the best resource (preferrably books) for learning how to build and publish a professional-looking website? I am thinking resource(s) that is easy to understand by a layman and/or some sort of self-tutored resource.

And what programs/softwares should I start with or focus on? HTML? Java?

Thanks!

Miliki Way

PS - I've already bought and registered a website name.

...abi you never hear of search-machine for internet...google yourself wise...my friend..:p:D...abi you dey think say we dey here to spoon-feed una!:lol:

Miliki Way
Oct 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
...abi you never hear of search-machine for internet...google yourself wise...my friend..:p:D...abi you dey think say we dey here to spoon-feed una!:lol:

denker:

What made you think I can't combine my findings from online search engines to the feedbacks I get here? In fact, virtually every topic under this Tech-World section could have been researched on google but did that stopped people from asking the questions here? No! Why? Because nothing surpasses the feedbacks you get from other Nigerians who have actual experience with the product or software that one is inquiring about.

I'd advise that you steer clear of this topic if you have nothing intelligent to offer.

Mirinda
Oct 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
MilikiWay>>> assuming I build website for a living, do you think I will tell you how it is done? google is your best bet. Let the professionals do it for you and employ their services elsewhere.

Rose
Oct 13, 2008, 02:21 PM
A friend and I were discussing this topic recently and she highly recommends the book below...which I plan to order as well.

"The Quick-and-Easy Web Site: Build a Web Presence for Your Business in One Day" by Paula Peters

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Web-Site-Presence/dp/1598696467

Miliki Way
Oct 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
MilikiWay>>> assuming I build website for a living, do you think I will tell you how it is done? google is your best bet. Let the professionals do it for you and employ their services elsewhere.

Mirinda:

The question was not directed solely to those who build websites for a living. It is quite possible that there are folks in here who knows about building a website and who do not necessarily do that for a living. Ironically, it is this same category of people that will generate results from the google searches that you're encouraging me to limit my inquiry to.

Like I told denker, the intention of this section is for tech-related informational exchange between villagers. Virtually every inquiry under this section can be researched through internet search engines but that has not stopped people from asking their questions here. The notion that questions like mine should be redirected to other internet search engines constitutes at best a diminishment of this section or at worst an under-estimation of the skill sets of villagers in here.

Miliki Way
Oct 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
A friend and I were discussing this topic recently and she highly recommends the book below...which I plan to order as well.

"The Quick-and-Easy Web Site: Build a Web Presence for Your Business in One Day" by Paula Peters

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Web-Site-Presence/dp/1598696467

Thanks Rose. I'll certainly check it out and read customers reviews too.

Proudly South African
Oct 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
Err...my friend gets paid for this kind of stuff,will ask him when he gets back from study break.

denker
Oct 14, 2008, 07:42 AM
Miliki Way, nwam:

listen very..very....very welle, my friend...:p, me go helpe you now and no more...some naija-people wanna to be spoon-fed...here we go:

Introduction to HTML (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp) and Html Code Tutorial (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp)..see ma friend...if you can't get it, you are not worth it...:p..au revoir!

lizmoses
Oct 14, 2008, 09:34 AM
Miliki Way,

I don't know if this will help.

Rather than go through the hassle of putting so many things into this my already full small head (though some say I'm big-headed...lol, I don't care), I mean like having to learn dreamweaver and all sorts, what I did was to subscribe to a host that their site is very friendly toolwise.

I have designed four of my own websites through them for which I pay a token monthly and I have learnt a lot like setting up pop and smtp for outgoing and incoming emails, creating forms, easy upload tools for my sites (uhm, I'm almost thinking I'm a genius already).

Also, I encourage small charities to patronise me and I design for them at a token a little higher than what I pay. I also train people with no experience (in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...lol).

It may help you to tow the same direction, in no time you will understand all those words, given your interest, without having to read big literature.

The site is edirecthost.com and they have a trial period of about 10 days.

Cheers.

Miliki Way
Oct 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, lizmoses

bob
Oct 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
great thread. thanks all.

area boy
Oct 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
Miliki, don't fret. Liz is right in that most hosting companies will provide you with tools and templates to create your site/page.
A word of warning though, these could be proprietary and you may have to recreate your site if you change host (i.e, generated pages are not portable).

Depending on how much time you have, you could go denker and Rose's way and learn the code (best way, but takes time). If you're not a code-freak and not bothered by 'cleanliness'/speed of the generated page and other metrics, there are lots of free WYSIWYG tools to create web pages (or at least trial versions to evaluate).

This way, you could generate and test your page until you're happy to share it and it will save you constant uploading/downloading to correct mistakes.

Type 'html wysiwyg' into google for example and you'd be inundated. In addition to an editor, you may also need an ftp software (for example, cuteftp is free and most editors have built-in ftp).

The bad news is that some free wysiwyg editors advertise themselves in your header tags/limit the number of pages , this is where knowing code may come in handy as you can just rip them out.

hope that helps,

AB

elgaxton
Oct 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
hey! hallos... I build websites if anyone is interested.....

check www.vandongroup.com

www.digitplusnigeria.com

www.gaxton.mindworxsolution.com/catalog..... still building dis one

as we speak right(type) I'm hosting www.time-tell.com

and more to be hosted..

so if u need one just hola moi at elgaxton at gmail.com

denker
Oct 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
elgaxton, my dear, good job..pay attention to your fonts..not precisely good for the eyes..methinks, alittle increase in the fonts gonna be ok..cheers!

elgaxton
Oct 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
My bros...I tried increasing fonts o but for naija here pple always think they know more than u... so na wetin dem ask for i give them o... tomoro they call me again, em pls change this, change that etc... no be small thing my guy

lizmoses
Oct 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
Gaxton bros,

Good job. I think a few of the sites are a bit too worded though (even as large as NVS is, it is still clear and spacious if you know what I mean).

Now, don't tell me it is what they want because like I tell my clients, I'd rather not do what they want that I cannot show off outside as my work.
Piece of advise, don't just work for them but go the extra mile to being a Consultant and advising them. You go through the process together until both party are satisfied. They will love you for it at the end of the day.

All in all, it's a brilliant work. I may just need you to help out with the commerce set up of some virtual project. I know as my bros, you will not even ask for money ke...lol:D

elgaxton
Oct 29, 2008, 02:37 PM
hehehhe!

Liz Mo, the Idea of being a consultant to clients is no problemn to me but the wahal is this:

After hosting a site, ur client asks some1 (maybe a friend what he/she thinks) and the friend tells the client that : hmmm do it like this, tell him to put this and put etc...

Liz mo no be small thing I dey tell u, ur client go just carry him ignorance pour for ur face, no be small thing....

u see that vandon site na war o... today he will give me this, tomoro remove it, next tomoro add this (aaaaaaaargh) very annoying I tell u, so na so we see am...

If u want e-commerce site then no wahala, I go just charge u small... just a lil u know :)

Mikky jaga
Oct 30, 2008, 11:35 AM
Why would anyone want to host another website, upon all the millions existing already? Wetin you wan put there wey you no fit put for other existing websites? Abi una be spiders?

Abeg make una carry go bo! Na websites man go chop?

lizmoses
Oct 30, 2008, 02:51 PM
Mikky J - My bros,

Na wetin?:D Why you dey harrass us now?

If you do not have a need to host a website, why criticise those who do so for one reason or the other...lol

I go drag you into my web now:lol:

Talking about that I stumbled on a Villager's site and I saw my handle and some others there...lol. My head was swollen, I felt like my name was written in gold.