PDA

View Full Version : I need to lose weight

Anonymous Villager
Jul 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
weight has become an issue in my life... i really want to loose weight....
i have the fluctuating kind of weight...sometimes i increase sometimes i reduce alittle. i jog sometimes but keeping up the jog is a problem...

i dont know what to do again...i am so conscious of my weight and its an issue..please help me.. i want to feel sexy too..i want to wear some clothes too.....help me !!!!

sharwama
Jul 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
i dont know if you are a lady or a gentleman....but it depends on your size....but i am sure you arent that fat.its because you are so self conscious of your weight.

.bebi
Jul 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
AV,welcome to my world.Its such a difficult thing but e go better.Its almost the only thing I think about these days.

Myne Whitman
Jul 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
AV,

Join a gym, maybe paying for losing weight will make you more determined. If that's not possible, build the jogging or a good exercise routine into your daily schedule and be disciplined about sticking to it. Also watch what you eat and fill up with fruits and vegs, not only are they not fattening, they also help bowel movement.

BTW, I hope you know that your size does not define your sexiness. It is a thing of the mind and there are clothes in all sizes to help you feel and look as sexy as you want. Focus on the areas of your body that you do like and talk positively to yourself to build esteem. You can also watch Gok's 'How to look good naked' or Trinny and Sussanah if you are in the UK.

Finally, you should know that there are people that prefer plus-size and even super-size. ...

Afeni
Jul 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
Count your calories. If you eat less calories than you burn (Burned calories are as a result of Exercise, Basal Metabolic rate, and Thermic effect of food) you will lose weight.

Also I suggest you:
1) Substitute juice and soda drinks for water.
2) Stay away from fried foods.
3) Get a bike and use it instead of jugging. Its more fun and it doesn't strain your muscles as much as jogging. This will help you stick with the exercise regime on a regular basis.
4) Drink 2 glasses of water before you eat any meal.
5) Snack on water-heavy foods like watermelon and canterlope.
6) Do push-ups and sit-ups to build muscle as this helps increase your basal metabolic rate (see: increases the amount of energy you burn even when you are not excercising).
7) Pack your lunch and dinner e.t.c. rather than relying on restaurants to get food while you are on the go.
8) Remove as much sugar and sweets from your diet. It might be hard at first , but after the first couple months it will get easier.

Also, be realistic. The basic body you have cannot really be changed. Some people are rounder than others.

.bebi
Jul 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mulan,u r right.I was more toned when I was a gym member for 2 years but since work took me away from my hood,I have become flabby.
Afeni,I do most of what is on ur list.Infact I am sure if any other person did the things I did,they would be lepacious but I think my body is just difficult to tame and it gets harder the older one gets.

NextLevel
Jul 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
I am going to write an article fairly soon on this book (http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Revolutionary-Formula-Sustained/dp/0316829455) (though fairly soon means anything from two weeks to six months).

You can also visit the Dr's website at www.drfuhrman.com. The core idea of his program is that eat the most nutritious foods that fill you up the most but give you the least calories and the least cravings (fruits and vegetables). I've personally discovered that if I eat the right foods, I cannot gain weight. And trust me, I eat more in terms of volume that just about everyone I know.

The problem is that losing weight is really a lifestyle change. Many people think that they can change their weight without changing their lifestyle. It's pretty much impossible, and the best solution for losing weight (changing your diet permanently to include fruits, green vegetables and legumes and reducing meat, fried foods, and salt) is not a sexy lifestyle for overweight people.

However, if you buy the book and change your diet, all your health indicators will be for the better. Exercise is very important, but it is not the most important part of weightloss; it has to be part of a lifestyle change.

Best of luck,
NL

.bebi
Jul 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
NL,totally agree with u.But like I said,some of us changed our lifestyle taytay but it got harder as we got older.
I think the bottom line is to have a realistic goal.We can not all be lepa.Some of us are wired to be voluptous,curvaceous and sexy I might add.The thing is to be healthy and firm(which is my problem right now as I slacked big tyme in my exercise routine).
'Nyway would love to read ur bk whenever it drops.

Mikky jaga
Jul 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
AV, as we do not see your picture, we can only accept what you said that you are fat. Some people feel they are fat while in actual fact they are only plum. If my wife were slim, I do not think I would apreciate it much. What has a man got to do with "Bone to Bone"

If you are not anything like Elgaxton and Sandybaby dancing in that Abuja party thread, you have nothing to worry about.:D

Myne Whitman
Jul 5, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mikky,

You know Sandybaby is Miss Nigeria shape, what many girls are going to gym for...

Mikky jaga
Jul 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
Mikky,

You know Sandybaby is Miss Nigeria shape, what many girls are going to gym for...

I just wan yab them small. They appear scarce on these boards lately. Quite uncharacteristic. Hope she gives us the recipe on how she maintained such athletic shape.

.bebi
Jul 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
Ewoo,I better get my fat behind back to the gym as I wan contest for Miss Universe when I grow up.
Seriously AV,do like I did,
1.Start walking loads.If u can,trek back from work at least 3 times a week if the weather permits.
2.Stock up on fruits and healthy nuts(good for ur skin) for in between meal snacking.
3.Water,loads of it and cut off or at least minimize drinks.With time sef,u will hate non-water drinks like me.
4.Skipping is a good form of exercise.
5.Join a gym with loads of fine guys,it helped me to be regular.
6Instead of lifts,do stairs.
7.If u r tall,u can carry off a bit of junk in both ur trunk and bonnet as long as u r not obese.
8.Rock ur sexy baffs jo.Who says u have to be skinny to do that.
9.Be confident whatever ur weight and have a nice hair do biko.
Das all folks.

NextLevel
Jul 6, 2008, 11:56 AM
NL,totally agree with u.But like I said,some of us changed our lifestyle taytay but it got harder as we got older.
I think the bottom line is to have a realistic goal.We can not all be lepa.Some of us are wired to be voluptous,curvaceous and sexy I might add.The thing is to be healthy and firm(which is my problem right now as I slacked big tyme in my exercise routine).
'Nyway would love to read ur bk whenever it drops.

I'm not as sure as I used to be that this is true. I know that people have different physical shapes, hormones influence diets etc.

However, there are two dimensions to diet that you hardly hear about in everyday discussions. The first is the nutrient to calorie ratio. I had never heard of that until I read Dr. Fuhrman.

The second is inflammation. You see, many people see diet as if it is all about calories. However, foods also cause the body to become inflamed. You should avoid foods that do that to your body. I first heard about this when I read Dr. Mark Hyman.

There was a man who wrote about his problems with diet that got worse with age because he had a body that got inflamed by just about everything he eat. He had arthritis, weak joints, pains etc. Today, he is pretty much a vegetarian who eats a very particular diet just to avoid the side effects of eating many things that would cause him severe pain.

Now, not everyone reacts to food so severely, but I'm almost certain that we all have milder reactions to certain foods based on different things like our biology, what our ancestors traditionally ate, and some of these new things that are being put into modern foods. There was never this much salt available for everyone to eat.

I'm pre-hypertensive (and I've been pretty much pre-hypertensive since I was teenager) and I never cared about it much or went on medication. However, now I'm getting older. The question becomes: can my body handle the diet that it did in college?

It's so different how my body reacts when I eat beans, vegetables and fruits vs. when I eat meat, fried food and salted food. I fall very sleepy, even when I eat white rice, which is a personal favorite, so I've actually had to avoid it when I have real work to do. However, my reaction to white rice, which makes me too full, helped me realize that to some degree, this is a personalized thing. But white rice might be too processed. For me, if I eat green peas and beans, I can eat 3 liters of volume, and my belly will be full, but my body will be absolutely fine and I don't fall asleep.

Another thing I've realized is that since I have a sweet tooth, I just mix fruits and vegetables. So I'll toss strawberries and grapes into salads. In fact, if I want a salad to be filling, I'll just toss in beans (to me, beans are miraculous - whether it is our Nigerian cowpea, or anything you can get from Whole Foods, who carries the only brands I can find without salt). You can come up with all kinds of combinations that suit you.

I also quit alcohol and caffeine. Some tea here and there, but that's about it. I can have a drink once in a while, but I've stopped having hangovers.

To cut a long story short, what most people think is a decent diet and a decent weight is really a diet and weight that causes health problems. People say I'm big, and no one really calls me fat, but I lost 22 pounds and by the BMI, I'm still about 10 pounds overweight. And trust me, the 10 pounds shows in my blood pressure, and the loss of weight also showed. After I lost the weight, people called me skinny. It was then I realized that like Dr. Fuhrman said, what people think about how you look says nothing about whether you are healthy or not.

Now, to be honest, if I wasn't pre-hypertensive, or I wasn't going to partake of the high stress corporate American lifestyle, I might not have cared so much about diet. But I want to live long, and I've seen people die or get paralyzed by strokes. I know some people think eating salty food is enjoyment, but I guess it's all about a paradigm shift. And it's not like I can't eat those foods once a week if I really wanted to.

But most people who think that they are eating decently probably aren't. If

1) most of your calories aren't coming from fruits and vegetables,
2) you aren't limiting your intake of salt, caffeine and alcohol,
3) you are overweight based on the BMI (even muscle can cause problems)
4) you are eating a low fat diet that isn't based on fruits and vegetables
5) you aren't exercising

then unless you were blessed with some fantastically lucky genes, see you in the hospital at some point in your life. I put exercise last, because while most people focus on it, most of my benefit has been from diet changes.

.bebi
Jul 6, 2008, 03:20 PM
It was then I realized that like Dr. Fuhrman said, what people think about how you look says nothing about whether you are healthy or not.

Gbam diggity.My cousin-in-law is a very huge lady but that woman eats very healthy and exercises a lot.I can bet she's healthier than many skinny folks.

About the inflammation thing,r u talking about gouty arthritis?

When I was seriously gyming,I toned up,dropped a dress size but nothing much happened on the scale.Till today,people that knew me before think I am slimmer but infact I think I weigh more than I weighed 6 years ago and they dont believe me.Muscles weigh a lot and I think I convered a lot of fat to muscles.The BMI thing helps but its not as important as body fat ratio.
I am concentrating more on diet than exercise now due to various reasons but the key thing like I said before is not what people think about u,it is to be healthy 1st and then confident.

Afeni
Jul 6, 2008, 03:58 PM
it is to be healthy 1st and then confident.

Whats all this talk about confidence? bebi, do not mistake men for women. Men do not care about a woman's confidence. In fact, its a turn-off. Men like weak women. Not confident, independent types.

Myne Whitman
Jul 6, 2008, 04:29 PM
Afeni,

You have just spoilt everything. Thank goodness you have removed mulan from your crush list...

.bebi
Jul 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
Afeni,u r a real were(joke).
I would not want to meet ur woman.

NextLevel
Jul 6, 2008, 04:57 PM
Gbam diggity.My cousin-in-law is a very huge lady but that woman eats very healthy and exercises a lot.I can bet she's healthier than many skinny folks.

About the inflammation thing,r u talking about gouty arthritis?

When I was seriously gyming,I toned up,dropped a dress size but nothing much happened on the scale.Till today,people that knew me before think I am slimmer but infact I think I weigh more than I weighed 6 years ago and they dont believe me.Muscles weigh a lot and I think I convered a lot of fat to muscles.The BMI thing helps but its not as important as body fat ratio.
I am concentrating more on diet than exercise now due to various reasons but the key thing like I said before is not what people think about u,it is to be healthy 1st and then confident.

I agree that the BMI is not as important as the body fat ratio, but in general, you can be muscular and still have blood pressure problems that would go away if you lost weight. So my point is that don't feel the pressure to bulk up just because people (including you yourself) say you are too skinny. Let your health indicators do the talking. Even if your weight remains the same, you might still need to lose it just to get your health indicators in the right place.

As for inflammation, that is just one. It could be joint pain, headaches etc. You might think it is not diet related, but if you eliminate foods from your diet, you'll be surprised what goes away.

.bebi
Jul 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't it be exercising and dieting as opposed to only dieting that would tackle the BP thing?

NextLevel
Jul 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wouldn't it be exercising and dieting as opposed to only dieting that would tackle the BP thing?

Yes, both are important. But a bad diet clogs the arteries and exercise can place more stress on the heart if you aren't eating the right food. In addition, an inflammatory diet can make it harder to lose weight even if you are exercising.

thekingsjester
Jul 6, 2008, 07:16 PM
AV,

Join a gym, maybe paying for losing weight will make you more determined...

Hmmn Muuuu,

I know this may work for some people but for me...girl I'm tired of funding gyms...when I register with a gym (more to do with keeping healthy) I'm usually quite enthusiastic about it at first but after a while I find a million and one reasons not to go. In fact the last time was about two months ago, I actually changed all my old gear believing it would seem like a new experience starting again, for where?

I assume we've all heard the rules about keeping fit and exercising and dieting and blah blah blah...considering the million and one resources out there on the topic but what many lack is the discipline to follow up the weight loss plan (this I suspect is AV's first problem).

AV I'd suggest you take one step at a time, regarding your weight-loss, set goals that are achievable be patient and be able to commend yourself when you achieve a milestone even if it's 1kg loss that's all I can say.

=.bebi;4295066127]Ewoo,I better get my fat behind back to the gym as I wan contest for Miss Universe when I grow up.

In that case .bebi, 'make hay while the sun shines'...:D

4.Skipping is a good form of exercise.

.bebi, you should add...'skipping with a good sports bra' we don't want AV coming back with palava of sagging boobs do we? :eek:

5.Join a gym with loads of fine guys,it helped me to be regular.

Hmmn... girl this is soooooooo down to earth :eek: but what can I say...:arrow: am outta here :D

skindeep
Jul 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
AV,

I hear you, but let your motivation for weight loss be more than sex appeal. My sister, beauty fades oooo. Tackle it from a health approach, and your success might increase. If you have a program like weight watchers, join them, i have seen their results. The gym option works for those who love to exercise, so i would not recommend you join it so soon, exercise routines should start out as fun things, then once you have made it a habit, u can join a gym.

all the best, the truth is we are all beautiful, learn to love the person u r, and work on loosing the excess for good health sake.

Dewdrops
Jul 7, 2008, 12:20 AM
Being over-weight is not ideal, especially for health reasons.

We can only do our best while we love ourselves for what we are and how we look. We are all special in our own little ways.

Goodluck and I hope you succeed.

Anonymous Villager
Jul 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
I am actually not overweight.. i am a size 14...i fantasize about being a size 10 with all the curves and flat abs...the one thing that i wish for is a flat ab. you would agree with me that when your abs becomes small and flat, you tend to have a smaller waist and your curves becomes pronounced....i have taken all your contributions into consideration. i will look into it....

i get fed up when my guy complains about my weight....its not that i dont look good..he keeps comparing me with slim girls....i really cant take it anymore..one of the reasons am trying to lose weight is because i want it for myself....i want to feel good....i cant go for swimming bcos i feel fat. i cant imagine myself in swimming trunk or a bikini

permit me to gossip about my guy....one day he complained about my weight and i immediately complained about his height..i told him he was short and he didnt find it funny at all.he didnt call me for days. i am 5ft-11inches tall minus heels and he is 5inches-9inches tall with his shoes..i wanted him to have a taste of how it feels to be condemned because of something that God himself designed.

Anike
Jul 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
I can understand your guy trying to motivate you to look your best because, not only will he feel good walking with you, you'll feel better about yourself and have the energy to do the things you want to do. Demeaning you and comparing you with other girls should not be encouraged. That alone is enough to make you depressed and add on more pounds, as you know. There are better things you guys can do to motivate each other like signing up in a gym or exercise class together, encouraging each other to eat healthy and drink more water and less juice, helping each other with crunches, taking walks together...

You could start a cyber weight watchers where you give a daily update of what you eat and do by starting a thread and sharing your progress with us. I doubt there is anyone who loves to inflict pain on him/herself by going to the gym. But sharing your progress with the public will probably add some fun for you.

elgaxton
Jul 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Nnnnaaaaa! Na fat I wan fat o.......I don try everything, chop everything in fact na human

being I never chop but for where... abeg people wey wan loose weight if una get wetin dey

chop or do to get fat make una flow me the jerk at least just small fatness na him I want o.

busanga
Jul 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
There are better things you guys can do to motivate each other like signing up in a gym or exercise class together, encouraging each other to eat healthy and drink more water and less juice, helping each other with crunches, taking walks together...

You are ahead of the curve here...how gym and exercise go help the guy add inches to his "shorter" frame? :lol: Oh well, you got good recommendations for married couples. But from AV post sounds like they are just dating

bob
Jul 7, 2008, 09:08 PM
I am actually not overweight.. i am a size 14...i fantasize about being a size 10 with all the curves and flat abs...the one thing that i wish for is a flat ab...

gaddam,
nothing beats a curvy lady with flat abs!!!. i have spent my salary just to get a close look at it all :D:D:D.
you are fearfully and wonderfully made sis. just keep working at it.

Writer Girl
Jul 7, 2008, 09:58 PM
This has been an interesting and informative thread. Thanks every one for all the info and tips :). I was once a size 18! Then exercise, a re-think and a re-do about what I eat got me to a size 10! At size 10 everyone was shrieking, "You look si-i-i-i-ickkk!!!" :confused1 And a look in the mirror showed that I really did. So I eased up on the exercise and got back up to size 12/14. 12 up, 14 down. For me, it's activity that does it. I started by taking a 30 minute brisk walk everyday, 5 days a week. By this I dropped 13kg in 3 months. Exercise also makes me want to eat less, and eat healthy. Perhaps because it makes me feel so clean inside! And by the way, aerobics is great for the libido! (Pretend I didn't say it!) Then I joined a gym to tighten the loose skin and get dat chiselled look! And all dis was after 4 kids! I actually had flat abs!:razz:

Anyway sha, moving to the UK, with the terrible winter and ye-ye unhealthy food saw me hiding inside the house in cold weather and drinking buckets of tea. So I've put the weight back on again (moan!). I am now back to walking 30 mins a day and I stare back menacingly at the ye-ye food whenever it beckons to me, Sam L. Jackson-style! :evil: . I am now making progress and shall soon join a gym to recapture my chiselled look. (This is where you clap, please!)

By the way, I've since had baby number 5. But motherhood ain't no excuse for looking bad or living unhealthy. So if there are any mothers out there who wish they could tone up and look as good as pre-baby days, like Obama I say, "YES YOU CAN!"

Afeni bro (sorry, you are a bro, aren't you?!), not all men want weak, dependent women. Some men like them tough. I know guys who are sick of the clingy, dependent types. But any way, the average naija guy has a need to feel needed and in charge. So I'd advise you sistas to just be who you are, in a silent, self-assured way, not trying to prove any point to anyone, and the right guy for your type will come along and stay.

Thumbs up to all you ladies here in The Village. You are smart and beautiful, no matter what anyone says, plus or minus weight. Like Bimbo Odukoya used to say, concentrate on becoming the best you, then the best for you will come along. Stay healthy! :)

sukaoma
Jul 8, 2008, 01:17 AM
If you work long hours like from 9am to 9pm 5 days a week, what would be your suggestions for exercise?

Soul Sista
Jul 8, 2008, 02:00 AM
May be we can start a weight watchers club in the village?

I would love to see recipes for Naija foods that don't use as much oil as we do, for example.

Anyone game? I don't like cooking so I am not a great one to start.

But, here are somethings I am working hard at doing/doing (I am a work in progress):

1. Oat fufu instead of eba, amala and poundo - takes some getting used to, but it works.

2. Olive oil instead of any other type of oil. I now cook my beans with olive oil as well. It does not look as nice but the taste is not bad.

3. Baking my meat, fish, chicken etc instead of frying.

4. Only water allowed in the house. I will take stuff outside but the home is a no-go zone for anything other than water. This is hard because I love me some coke. But, if it is not there, you don't take it.

5. Making your own juice. Invest in a good juicer. The Jack Lalanne Power Juicer, which is available in Macy's is a great investment. You will experience freedom in your bowels.:D All the supermarket juices have nothing on the real thing.

Soul Sista a/k/a Soul Sizzling

SNB
Jul 8, 2008, 03:17 AM
May be we can start a weight watchers club in the village?

I would love to see recipes for Naija foods that don't use as much oil as we do, for example.

Anyone game? I don't like cooking so I am not a great one to start.

But, here are somethings I am working hard at doing/doing (I am a work in progress):

1. Oat fufu instead of eba, amala and poundo - takes some getting used to, but it works.

2. Olive oil instead of any other type of oil. I now cook my beans with olive oil as well. It does not look as nice but the taste is not bad.
3. Baking my meat, fish, chicken etc instead of frying.

4. Only water allowed in the house. I will take stuff outside but the home is a no-go zone for anything other than water. This is hard because I love me some coke. But, if it is not there, you don't take it.

5. Making your own juice. Invest in a good juicer. The Jack Lalanne Power Juicer, which is available in Macy's is a great investment. You will experience freedom in your bowels.:D All the supermarket juices have nothing on the real thing.

My sisters changed to Olive oil for all their cooking and the next time I saw them, their skin looked so fresh....I could have sworn dem don use toning cream...but they told me say na the oil...u know u could buy the light oil.

I've been baking my meats and fish for over 10 years now, I have perfected it to a point that the meat looks fried. You can also use Olive oil spray to achieve that fried look.

I also use canola oil for my efo riro aka vegetable - trust me- my mama taught me and it looks and tastes as if you used palm oil -but minus the calories.
-
I sometimes substitute smoked turkey for red meat but dat one hard as I love goat meat. But with time, I have adjusted - one thing to note, some smoked turkeys have a high content of sodium, so I usually soak it in hot water to get rid of the salt as much as possible.

Amala isn't as heavy as fufu and iyan but everything in moderation. Lots of fruits, vegetables and a whole lot of fiber will change the way you feel and look.

Juice is god but sometimes the sugar content no good, I like Kosher juice.

Anonymous Villager
Jul 8, 2008, 03:25 AM
My problem is opposite. Me I wan to gain weight.........I can't seem to keep the weight on.

skindeep
Jul 8, 2008, 04:18 AM
But to have weight watchers, we have to be serious/honest, you log in your starting weight, log in your weight once a week, have a point system for naija foods etc...if people are game we can work something out, so ladies if you are interested let us know

Alata
Jul 8, 2008, 09:05 AM
Come and live in Ijebu for three months.
You can chop whatever you want.
and you still slim well well.

sharwama
Jul 8, 2008, 09:06 AM
how many anonymous villagers dey post for one thread....let the owner of the thread be the only anonymous poster otherwise we will get confused more....

Writer Girl
Jul 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
Soul Sista, yep, we should start such a club. But I suggest the focus be on good health, not just weight loss. This is because, in my experience writing on w.loss and talking with slimmers I've seen that they often lack a strong "why" for losing weight, so they fail. If your "why" is about vanity - make I for knock dem dead/ make my guy for like me more/ make I fit enta my wedding dress, ati be be lo(!) - then once you achieve that short term goal you are likely to "backslide" to fatsville! Or if the going gets tough you can say, "Abeg, I nor do again jare! Man no go die!"

But if your focus is on preventing or managing a heart condition, or reducing inflammation, as our dear bro Next Level has so rightly pointed out, then you're more likely to stick with it. Being overweight or being obese is actually LIFE THREATENING!
So yeah! Let's start perhaps a HEALTH CLUB. Then even lepas like Anon Vil can gain weight with healthy information.

Serious Naija Babe, yes o! Olive oil is a miracle worker, as you said. I use it on my skin, and my kids'. It's good for dry skin conditions, whether you eat it or rub it on.

Sukaoma asked what exercise would suit a person with a busy day? WALKING! Waka to the shops, to work, up the stairs insted of using a lift. If you have a car, use it less. If you live in a cold place, get a tread mill. You can afford it. It's for your health. Kpata kpata, pay installmentally. This kind of credit arrangement is possible both in Naija and abroad. I lost 13kg from walking my kids to school every week day, in just 3 months. And de waka is good for your health, not just weight loss.

Iyaalata, na true word you tok o! Our naija food is good for the body. Except you add jeku-je, or you over eat and under-move, naija diet no go fatten you!

sharwama
Jul 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
Soul Sista, yep, we should start such a club. But I suggest the focus be on good health, not just weight loss. This is because, in my experience writing on w.loss and talking with slimmers I've seen that they often lack a strong "why" for losing weight, so they fail. If your "why" is about vanity - make I for knock dem dead/ make my guy for like me more/ make I fit enta my wedding dress, ati be be lo(!) - then once you achieve that short term goal you are likely to "backslide" to fatsville! Or if the going gets tough you can say, "Abeg, I nor do again jare! Man no go die!"

But if your focus is on preventing or managing a heart condition, or reducing inflammation, as our dear bro Next Level has so rightly pointed out, then you're more likely to stick with it. Being overweight or being obese is actually LIFE THREATENING!
So yeah! Let's start perhaps a HEALTH CLUB. Then even lepas like Anon Vil can gain weight with healthy information.

Serious Naija Babe, yes o! Olive oil is a miracle worker, as you said. I use it on my skin, and my kids'. It's good for dry skin conditions, whether you eat it or rub it on.

Sukaoma asked what exercise would suit a person with a busy day? WALKING! Waka to the shops, to work, up the stairs insted of using a lift. If you have a car, use it less. If you live in a cold place, get a tread mill. You can afford it. It's for your health. Kpata kpata, pay installmentally. This kind of credit arrangement is possible both in Naija and abroad. I lost 13kg from walking my kids to school every week day, in just 3 months. And de waka is good for your health, not just weight loss.

Iyaalata, na true word you tok o! Our naija food is good for the body. Except you add jeku-je, or you over eat and under-move, naija diet no go fatten you!

writergirl..my wrong..i didnt know anonymous villager is a handle name of a villager..i think i better go back to the into section b4 i offend peole here...perhaps i will chill out at the bakery till i am needed...cheers!!

Gentle Angel
Jul 8, 2008, 01:49 PM
gaddam,
nothing beats a curvy lady with flat abs!!!. i have spent my salary just to get a close look at it all :D:D:D.
you are fearfully and wonderfully made sis. just keep working at it.

I agree completely with you and am working on mine. Your salary will not be enough, lol:D:D:D

Sharwama, Anonymous Villager is actually a villagers "name!" I don't think there's any other!

writergirl..my wrong..i didnt know anonymous villager is a handle name of a villager..

WG and Sharwama,

Anonymous villager is not the name of any villager. Anybody can be anonymous in this Share and care section (Palava hut and healthwise) and exhale sections. When you click new reply or quote someone's post, you can check a box next to the title at the top of the page. A bit confusing? Don't worry you will get used to it:D:D

GA

Anike
Jul 8, 2008, 03:10 PM
Sharwama, Anonymous Villager is actually a villagers "name!" I don't think there's any other!No, Anonymous Villager is a tag for authors of posts made anonymously. i.e., those who check the Make Post Anonymously to the right of the Title field.

.bebi
Jul 8, 2008, 03:32 PM
Soul Sista I am in.I want to get a wash board ab,toned arms and over and above all,be healthy.
Most of us spend more time on NVS than anywhere else apart from work,so having our own slimming world/weight watcher type thing here makes a lot of sense.
About cooking naija food,u can do without palmoil in okro by using tomato/tatashe to give it a reddish color and adding just a teaspoon of olive oil to give it the oil feeling.
Some of my family in America use grits as substitue for eba but I wont lie,I dont like it.
Sukaoma,u can walk to work if its not far or park far from the entrance,walk up stairs,pack salad for lunch(it takes getting used to but it works like magic when u get used to it).Also avoid drinks and when u get thirsty,1st drink water before trying a drink(u 'll find that water does the trick).Have a fruit/nuts in ur bag incase of the need to nibble on something.
Have cereal in the morning before work,preferrably oat as it has a low GI index and keeps u for longer.If u dont have time to make oat,why not try oat flakes instead.
If u love bread like me,get used to eating wheat bread.Its also better for ur colon.
Unless the person has aortic stenosis or any other form of heart disease,I see no reason why they cant start with walking and graduate from that point.That is an exercise which has no fanfare attached to it.

In that case .bebi, 'make hay while the sun shines'...:D

.bebi, you should add...'skipping with a good sports bra' we don't want AV coming back with palava of sagging boobs do we? :eek:

Abi o.We dont want her boobs on the floor:eek:
Hmmn... girl this is soooooooo down to earth :eek: but what can I say...:arrow: am outta here :D
Trying to keep it real
:D

I am actually not overweight.. i am a size 14...i fantasize about being a size 10 with all the curves and flat abs...the one thing that i wish for is a flat ab. you would agree with me that when your abs becomes small and flat, you tend to have a smaller waist and your curves becomes pronounced....i have taken all your contributions into consideration. i will look into it....

i get fed up when my guy complains about my weight....its not that i dont look good..he keeps comparing me with slim girls....i really cant take it anymore..one of the reasons am trying to lose weight is because i want it for myself....i want to feel good....i cant go for swimming bcos i feel fat. i cant imagine myself in swimming trunk or a bikini

permit me to gossip about my guy....one day he complained about my weight and i immediately complained about his height..i told him he was short and he didnt find it funny at all.he didnt call me for days. i am 5ft-11inches tall minus heels and he is 5inches-9inches tall with his shoes..i wanted him to have a taste of how it feels to be condemned because of something that God himself designed.

Good.I hate when people complain about someone's weight when they r not particularly perfect.Its ok to remind someone to watch it when they overdo on food but some guys tend to over remind their girlfriends or wives that it gets irritating.
AV,u tall sha.There I was thinking I was tall.

sandybaby
Jul 9, 2008, 09:21 AM
i agree with you bebi..

Rose
Jul 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
I get good results working out with small weights, elastic bands and body bars along with aerobics on the trampoline and fitness stepper. In addition to drinking lots of water and taking a good multiple vitamin, I find lipotropic factors works wonder particularly with lymph drainage massages and dry-skin brushing which you can do yourself.

Soul Sista
Jul 9, 2008, 03:32 PM
Rose:

Please can you enlighten me on lipotropic factors and the lymph drainage massage?

What is the name of the multivitamin that you take?

Thanks a lot!

Rose
Jul 9, 2008, 05:18 PM
Rose:

Please can you enlighten me on lipotropic factors and the lymph drainage massage?

What is the name of the multivitamin that you take?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Soul Sista,

Lipotropics are basically made from 3 amino acids that detox the liver, emulsifies fat and revs up the metabolism. The lymph drainage massages helps break up fat as well and move waste out of the body so it works well with lipotropics IMO. Since the lymphatic system works through a series of one-way valves dry skin brushing helps this process along and boy is it stimulating...you actually tingle for a few minutes afterwards. It's very relaxing. You can buy the brushes at healthfood stores and learn how to use them properly (http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm). It tightens the skin making it very supple...I swear by it. I like Nature's Way Alive or Solgar multivitamins. I've heard good things about Centrum as well.

I spotted this old book by Nicole Ronsard (on the dollar table :D) with diagrams of massage/squeezing techniques for the thighs, tummy, and arms and found it quite useful in conjunction with the lipotropics and skin brushing.

Palamedes
Jul 9, 2008, 06:08 PM
@Rose

“lipotropic factors” ...” lymph drainage massages” and “dry-skin brushing”

Breathtaking Wow!

My advice for large people is to do more exercise, which is what it comes down to. I only eat twice a day (BTW Breakfast is overrated) and have done so for the past fifteen years—not because I am poor but because I don't like force-feeding myself in early mornings as most people have been indoctrinated to do. And my two meals are not American portions—I might add, but even then, if I reduce the quality and quantity of exercises for a long period, I put on weight. And like Rose, I drink lots of water. Hence my belief that, "it is exercise stupid!" Eat as much as you want but counter balance it with exercises, lipotropic factors, lymph drainage massages, dry-skin brushing (according to Rose) and what have you.

Vade Mecum
Jul 9, 2008, 07:08 PM
weight has become an issue in my life... i really want to loose weight....
i have the fluctuating kind of weight...sometimes i increase sometimes i reduce alittle. i jog sometimes but keeping up the jog is a problem...

i dont know what to do again...i am so conscious of my weight and its an issue..please help me.. i want to feel sexy too..i want to wear some clothes too.....help me !!!!

A.V.

This may sound funny, but one way to drop unwanted pounds of fat, is to become more active in posting on this board. Engage in as many debates and discussions as possible. You will become more mentally agile and drop unwanted pounds of fat.

Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, when you feel tired and return to the board.

Drink a lot of water too.

Good luck and all the best.

Rose
Jul 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
Palamedes, I know one guy who does dry skin brushing and he loves it too. You oughta try it!

SNB
Jul 12, 2008, 03:24 AM
Palamedes, I know one guy who does dry skin brushing and he loves it too. You oughta try it!

I think I'm gonna love this dry skin brushing, plus the brushes are 97 cents at walmart.....would just get a different one for my face.

http://store.annabellina.com/dryskbr.html

http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20060215.htm

http://www.naturalhealthscience.com/vital_chi_skin_brushing_system.php

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm

NextLevel
Jul 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
Bebi,

While right now, stationary cycling is my preferred mode of exercise, walking was once my exclusive mode of exercise and I did pretty well with it.

Sometimes, I find the intense workouts shown on TV etc. to be unfortunate. Yes, exercise should involve sweat, but many people who do not need to be world class athletes would be surprised how well they would do just by walking a 2 miles a day as focused exercise, which is about 40 minutes at most for some people. After 2 weeks at most, they would do it faster, and take it from there. Walking is the most underestimated form of exercise in the universe.

Of course, these walkers would get hungrier too, and that's when the hard questions need to be answered. Are you going to eat beans and yam and oranges and lettuce, or are you going to eat burgers and fries and pounded yam and fried stew?

That is the hard question, IMO.

NL

MsWoman
Jul 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
.bebi: Sorry I had no other way to contact you, but your PM box is full.

Anonymous Villager
Jul 12, 2008, 07:38 PM
While right now, stationary cycling is my preferred mode of exerciseNLi did not realize the amount of calories one can burn from the stationary cycling. save for the butt pains, i love, love, and love it. if only I can stop rewarding myself with a cup of icecream after each class.

Anonymous Villager
Jul 13, 2008, 05:38 AM
i did not realize the amount of calories one can burn from the stationary cycling. save for the butt pains, i love, love, and love it. if only I can stop rewarding myself with a cup of icecream after each class.

I used to love stationary cycling but the problem is I have multiple Os while doing it. I mean orgasms....so I had to find another way to burn calories. It may seem funny but having uncontrollable orgasms in front of strangers at the gym wasn't my idea of a work out.

I still like cycling but need help controlling the Os from showing up. Any tips people...

Rose
Jul 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think I'm gonna love this dry skin brushing, plus the brushes are 97 cents at walmart.....would just get a different one for my face.

http://store.annabellina.com/dryskbr.html

http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20060215.htm

http://www.naturalhealthscience.com/vital_chi_skin_brushing_system.php

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm
Thanks for the links. You will love the invigorating tingle that accompanies skin brushing. I do long strokes...leaning over and starting at the tips of my toes and come all the way up. Same with the arms...start at the fingertips and come up to the neck. Then the palms of the hands to the armpit. It works well on the stomach, sides and back too. I find it helps me to sleep better especially during winter months.

I've heard good things about hoodia gordonii (made from a South African plant) and slimshots (http://www.slimshots.com/)...both natural appetite suppressants.

I used to love stationary cycling but the problem is I have multiple Os while doing it. I mean orgasms....so I had to find another way to burn calories. It may seem funny but having uncontrollable orgasms in front of strangers at the gym wasn't my idea of a work out.

I still like cycling but need help controlling the Os from showing up. Any tips people...
:lol::lol::lol: Just remember to take a bike along the back row and place a towell over your head...no one will be the wiser!!!!

Palamedes
Jul 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
It may seem funny but having uncontrollable orgasms in front of strangers at the gym wasn't my idea of a work out.
Chineke! I have never heard this one. What a strange fella!

Why don't you buy yourself a bicycle (Maybe you already have one) AND a "Cycle Trainer (http://www.google.com/products?client=opera&rls=en&q=%22cycle+trainer%22&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&um=1&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)." Just mount the bike on the cycle trainer and have as many Os as you wish in the privacy of your own home.

Additional Info:
For similar websites enter into (say) google (with the quotes):

"cycle trainer" or "bicycle trainer"

Don't go for the cheap ones; you can get a decent one for about $250, but shop around and check the sales if you want one.

Rose
Jul 13, 2008, 02:54 PM
@palamedes, I think that's a female having uncontrollable orgasms while cycling/spinning. I have definitely heard of this "complaint". :D

SNB
Jul 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
Rose, just got my brush for 94cents.... got some light sesame oil in addition...read some where on one of those sites to massage body with sesame oil after shower....plus I've used light sesame oil for some years now...makes ya body glow...

will try the stroking method..... which site do u prefer.....

don't need no SA herb/plant....I ain't trying to lose weight...just trying to keep fit

@Palmedes-- me too thinks AV is a woman.... I've known this to happen to women! It must be embarrassing!

Tips and Tricks for Dry Brushing:

Always dry brush your dry and naked body before you shower or bathe because you will want to wash off the impurities from the skin as a result from the brushing action.

You can do the brushing head-to-toe or toe-to-head. It really doesn't matter as long as the entire body is brushed. Long sweeping strokes starting from the bottom of your feet upwards, and from the hands towards the shoulders, and on the torso in an upward direction help drain the lymph back to your heart.

Note: Stroking away from your heart puts extra pressure on the valves within the veins and lymph vessels and can cause ruptured vessels and varicose veins.

Use light pressure in areas where the skin is thin and harder pressure on places like the soles of the feet.

Skin brushing should be performed once a day, preferably first thing in the morning. A thorough skin brushing takes about 15 minutes, but any time spent brushing prior to bathing will benefit the body. If you are feeling ill, increasing the treatments to twice a day is good. You can also dry brush areas of cellulite five to 10 minutes twice a day to achieve cellulite dissolving but the technique needs to be done consistently for a minimum of five months.

· Avoid sensitive areas and anywhere the skin is broken such as areas of skin rash, wounds, cuts, and infections. Also, never brush an area affected by poison oak or poison ivy.

· Finish up with your regular shower and ending with three hot and cold cycles. That means turning on the water as hot as you can take it for several seconds, then as cold as you can handle it, then hot, then cold for three cycles. End with either hot or cold. This will further invigorate the skin and stimulate blood circulation, bringing more blood to the outer layers of the skin.

· After getting out of the shower, dry off vigorously and massage your skin with pure plant oils such as olive, avocado, apricot, almond, sesame, coconut or cocoa butter. Add a little peanut and Castor oil to the mix if you have arthritis. Edgar Cayce says this works to take out some of the pain, and we've found that to be true over the years.

· Clean your skin brush using soap and water once a week. After rinsing, dry your skin brush in an open, sunny spot to prevent mildew.

Any well designed program will take about 30 days to see and experience the changes. Please be patient and keep up the program! For a thorough lymphatic cleansing, perform skin brushing daily for a minimum of three months.

How to Dry Brush (Easy, Fast Instructions):

Begin with your feet and brush vigorously in circular motions.

Continue brushing up your legs.

Proceed to your hands and arms.

Brush your entire back and abdomen area, shoulders and neck.

Use circular counter-clockwise strokes on the abdomen.

Lightly brush the breasts.

Brush upwards on the back and down from the neck. Better yet, have a friend, spouse or family member brush your back.

Need More Specific Instructions? Skip this section

Here are the verbose directions.

(You will do most steps 7-14 times. Hang in there - it's not as complicated as it sounds and doesn't take as long as it seems once you get the flow of it.)

Using your right hand, gently slide the brush along your right jaw line starting from your earlobe to the underside of your chin 7 times.

Place the brush at the hairline on your neck and gently pull around the right side of your neck to the Adam's apple 7 times.

Hold the brush with your right hand at the bottom of your neck (where it joins the top of your back) and bring it around your neck to the right and down along your right collar bone and end up between your collar bones 7 times.

Stroke your breastbone in a circular fashion to stimulate the thymus gland 7 times.

Carefully brush the breast in a circular motion 7 times.

Repeat the above steps for your left side holding the brush with your left hand.

To stimulate the pituitary gland, hold the brush on the back of your head near the base of your neck and rock the brush up and down, then side to side, both sides 14 times.

Hold the brush in your left armpit with your right hand and rotate it counter clockwise 7 times, then clockwise 7 times.

Repeat on your right armpit with your left hand.

Brush upward 7 times from your upper right thigh to your right armpit.

Repeat process on your left side. Women may need to hold their breast out of the way with their free hand.

Brush back and forth over your belly button and around your waistline 14 times (like passing a basketball behind your back).

Brush in a circular motion over your belly-button, counter-clockwise 7 times then clockwise 7 times.

Finish brushing the front of your body in any direction starting at the bottom and brushing all the way up 14 times. Very little pressure needs to be applied to the genitals and women's breasts because the skin is sensitive and will redden if irritated.

Brush up and down your spine from the base of your neck and down as far as you can 14 times.

Finish your upper back by stroking it around toward your sides.

Brush your spine from tailbone up as high as you can reach 14 times, holding the brush with two hands or with the detachable wooden handle.

Finish your lower back by stroking it around toward your sides.

Brush up from right ankle to right knee and work all the way around your leg, brushing up towards your heart.

Hold the brush in the right groin with both hands and rotate it 7 times counter-clockwise, then 7 times clockwise.

Repeat with the left groin.

Brush from right knee to right hip 7 times.

Work all the way around your leg continuing to brush upwards (towards the heart).

Brush up from right ankle to right knee and work all the way around your leg, brushing up towards your heart.

Brush around your right ankle 7 times.

Brush back and forth over the top of your right foot from toes to ankle.

Brush across your right toes on top and underneath 7 times.

Brush the bottom of your right foot heel to toe 7 times.

Now do the same with for the left foot, leg and thigh.

Brush upward from right elbow to your armpit and shoulder 7 times.

Brush from your right wrist to the elbow in the same manner 7 times.

Repeat steps on your left arm.

Lightly brush the webbing (or junction) between your left thumb and index or pointer finger on the palm side 14 times, then on the non-palm side 14 times.

Brush your left palm from wrist to fingertips and back 7 times.

Brush the back of your left hand the same way 7 times.

Brush each left hand finger individually back and forth 7 times on the areas that have not been brushed yet.

Repeat the steps for your right hand.

After brushing, take a hot shower with soap (about three minutes in duration), followed by a 10-20 second cold rinse. Repeat this procedure three times. If the hot/cold showers are too extreme, a warm shower can be used. Follow the shower with a rubdown with either a sponge or towel to remove dead skin.

Problems with dry, flaky or thickened skin on your feet? One of my favorite products obtained from your local Rite Aid Store is called Pretty Feet & Hands Rough Skin Remover. This stuff is awesome. Shake well before using. Pour about a quarter-size puddle of fluid into the palm of one hand, then rub the areas that have lots of dry skin on them. The dry skin balls up in your hand. Rinse the areas and apply lotion. Note: You can only do this process once a day. The product doesn't work after the area is wet or after a shower. It may take up to four days for those tough areas like the feet to make the skin like new. The product appears to be safe and does not cause allergic reactions. One 3-ounce bottle usually runs around $10.

Palamedes
Jul 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Rose@#56

I think that's a female having uncontrollable orgasms while cycling/spinning. I have definitely heard of this "complaint".

Is there any screaming and wetness involved or just silent and dry one. BTW, is “silent orgasm” possible? Or am I asking too many question?

Serious_Naijababe@57

You can do the brushing head-to-toe or toe-to-head.
Begin with your feet and brush vigorously in circular motions.
Continue brushing up your legs.
Proceed to your hands and arms.
Brush your entire back and abdomen area, shoulders and neck.
Use circular counter-clockwise strokes on the abdomen.
Lightly brush the breasts.
Ouch! My arms ache--too many arm movements. Aye! Why not fill the bath and lie in it (and doze off, as I often do) and get the water to soak the skin. When you wake up, half of the work is already done for you. Easy!

Lightly brush the breasts? But I haven't got one! Gosh! Is this what you ladies go through to look nice (for us men)!

Anonymous Villager, you can come out now, you have been out-ed!

Rose
Jul 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
@Palamedes, yes too many questions!!! :lol:

@SNB, those are some very good instructions, but I do not use circular motions and believe toe to head is better since you move in the direction of the heart. I start at the feet with long strokes on all sides. Next are the arms, then midsection and as far up back as possible. Shoulders, neck and small portion of chest are last. I pay extra attention to stomach/sides and change motions on lower stomach (using short strokes in different directions). Used with various oil supplements taken internally (flaxseed, CLA, Omega3s) and applying the sesame oil, olive oil, etc directly to moist skin keeps it in excellent condition.

Did you order your brush and sesame oil online? If so, I'd appreciate knowing where you got them.

SNB
Jul 13, 2008, 06:52 PM
Rosie, even if I ordered it online, it wouldn't get here fast enough. I thought I said walmart - yes I do like bargains....bought the brush and oil at Walmart today. Funny enough, I just finished my bottle of flax seed caps.....hate fish oil so this is what comes close.

@Palmedes - u ask 2 many questions. So since u've outed the AV, who is she? Can u tell us?
AV - enjoy ur gasms - some people would kill to be in ur shoes...then again there are women who say they are suffering from uncontrollable Os all the time and not just at the gym. They had a documentary on them a while back on abc's 20/20.

Rose
Jul 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
Rosie, even if I ordered it online, it wouldn't get here fast enough. I thought I said walmart - yes I do like bargains....bought the brush and oil at Walmart today. Funny enough, I just finished my bottle of flax seed caps.....hate fish oil so this is what comes close.

@Palmedes - u ask 2 many questions. So since u've outed the AV, who is she? Can u tell us?
AV - enjoy ur gasms - some people would kill to be in ur shoes...then again there are women who say they are suffering from uncontrollable Os all the time and not just at the gym. They had a documentary on them a while back on abc's 20/20.
I caught that episode. :lol::lol::lol:

Palamedes
Jul 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
Serious_Naijababe@#60

who is she? Can u tell us?
Well let's see: she is an NVS insider; and she is a regular on women issues but she is not doing so here--she is conspicuous by her absence. Lady, that's all the clue you are getting from me.

Now here is a question for you: How do one spot a fake or pretend [female] orgasm?

Auspicious
Jul 14, 2008, 02:29 AM
@palamedes, I think that's a female having uncontrollable orgasms while cycling/spinning. I have definitely heard of this "complaint". :D

Yeah she "heard" alright.

Hillary too was a candidate with experience..:rolleyes:

LHA.

Rose
Jul 14, 2008, 03:36 AM
Yeah she "heard" alright.

Hillary too was a candidate with experience..:rolleyes:

LHA.
Ok...well it happens that I have uncontrollable big Os too and I'm the woman on 20/20. :wink: Are you happy for outing me now?

Auspicious
Jul 14, 2008, 04:55 AM
Ok...well it happens that I have uncontrollable big Os too and I'm the woman on 20/20. :wink: Are you happy for outing me now?

You Bet!

AuSpY.

Anonymous Villager
Jul 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
wow!, i cant believe this thread has been hijacked by another anonymous villager.....helloooooooooooo, there re 2 anonymous villager here....

1. the one that wants to loose weight
2. the one that is always having orgasm when exercising lol!:D

depirate
Jul 17, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hope no one takes offence but like my brother says you do not get fat on fresh air, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more and all those exotic suggestions on how to lose weight that sound too good to be true are just that - too good to be true that is.

Ps regarding the cycling Os - any invitation to apply for personnal cycling trainer?

And Auspicious love the belly (just slightly bigger than mine), we should have a carton or two sometime

.bebi
Jul 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
.bebi: Sorry I had no other way to contact you, but your PM box is full.

Mswoman,I just saw this.Pls PM me,I have freed up my space.

Auspicious
Jul 17, 2008, 08:44 PM
Bebi, who has been sending you PMs?

I mean, why is your PM Box full???

You know I can be very jealous?

Don't play with fire O!

L'AUSPY.

MsWoman
Jul 17, 2008, 08:46 PM
@bebi: Phew okay.:lol:

@Auspi: Aaaaaannnnnnnddddd.........what will you do? Abi what can you do?

.bebi
Jul 17, 2008, 09:07 PM
Auspy love,no dey jealous,I havent had time to ree up my space since forever.
Dont worry,I wont do what u wont like.Lol!

Ph3y
Aug 4, 2008, 10:01 PM
It's good to lose weight o......but please remember that Naija guys always love having something to hold...e.g. love handles

Exxcuzme
Oct 2, 2008, 02:37 PM
I am going to write an article fairly soon on this book (http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Revolutionary-Formula-Sustained/dp/0316829455) (though fairly soon means anything from two weeks to six months).

You can also visit the Dr's website at www.drfuhrman.com. The core idea of his program is that eat the most nutritious foods that fill you up the most but give you the least calories and the least cravings (fruits and vegetables). I've personally discovered that if I eat the right foods, I cannot gain weight. And trust me, I eat more in terms of volume that just about everyone I know.

The problem is that losing weight is really a lifestyle change. Many people think that they can change their weight without changing their lifestyle. It's pretty much impossible, and the best solution for losing weight (changing your diet permanently to include fruits, green vegetables and legumes and reducing meat, fried foods, and salt) is not a sexy lifestyle for overweight people.

However, if you buy the book and change your diet, all your health indicators will be for the better. Exercise is very important, but it is not the most important part of weightloss; it has to be part of a lifestyle change.

Best of luck,
NL

Can anyone please let me know how to determine calories on naija foods i.e Eba, Iyan, Fufu, Jollof Rice, Amala whether Black or the white type or point me to where I obtain the info. I tried to google...and I found people have similar questions but to answer. I trust my peeps here to help out!

Alake
Oct 3, 2008, 01:31 AM
Can someone please help me with these question, I need detailed answers.

Does going to gym really, really works? Does it help reduce weight?

elgaxton
Oct 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Alake,

Going to the GYM really works only if you follow the diet prescribed by the instructor...

Most people use the GYM religiously and also eat the same thing that made them fat religiously. This makes it look like they have been doing nothing afterall.

All the best

elgaxton
Oct 3, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Alake,

Going to the GYM really works only if you follow the diet prescribed by the instructor...

Most people use the GYM religiously and also eat the same thing that made them fat religiously. This makes it look like they have been doing nothing afterall.

All the best

rina
Oct 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
If you can stay off carbonhydrate and live on more of vegetable and friuts. you'll be okay.

Oluwato
Oct 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
I just started a thread with the article below, then I saw this thread. I hope the article helps!

9 ways to lose weight without dieting
Self magazine on how to shed the pounds and not stress over a single bite
By Hallie Levine Sklar
Self
updated 7:36 a.m. PT, Wed., Oct. 8, 2008

Great news! You can ditch your diet for good and still hit your happy weight. Science has finally proven what you've probably suspected for years - that following a restrictive food plan can make you more likely to overeat. Researchers at the University of Toronto tempted a group of women who were cutting their calorie intake with a plate of cookies and then put the same treats in front of women who weren't trying to lose. Not only did the dieters dig in, but they ate 66 percent more goodies than their non-dieting peers. "Women end up feeling so deprived on weight loss plans that they break down and binge," says Tracy Tylka, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology at Ohio State University at Marion. We at Self have a better way to slim down: nine simple lifestyle switches that will help you shrink your waist effortlessly!

Eat more good stuff
Instead of obsessing about tasty bites you want to banish, focus on healthy foods you can feast on. Women who do so tend to lose more weight than those who ruminate on restricting calories. Fill up with fiber-rich fruit, vegetables and whole grains. "High-fiber foods expand in your stomach, so you're less likely to overeat," says Madelyn Fernstrom, Ph.D., director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Weight Management Center. Fiber also inhibits your body's absorption of fat, says Dave Grotto, R.D., author of "101 Foods That Could Save Your Life" (Bantam Books). There are easy ways to sneak in more fiber: Stir 1 tablespoon of flaxseed into oatmeal, add 1/2 cup of beans to a green salad or snack on small portions of dried fruit and nuts.

Go to the dogs
Volunteering at the pound could help you lose pounds. People who signed up to walk shelter dogs for an hour a week lost about a pound in four weeks, early research from the University of Missouri at Columbia showed. That's 12 pounds a year you could shed without skipping a single dessert! In fact, other research by study author Rebecca Johnson, Ph.D., revealed that people who walked a dog (either their own or a loaner hound) 20 minutes a day for five days a week lost on average 14 pounds after a year. Best of all, dog walking turns out to be an easy commitment to keep. "We had a 72 percent adherence rate, which is unheard of in most exercise programs," Johnson says. "Some volunteers enjoyed it so much, they stayed longer to walk more animals." Find a shelter near you at PetFinder.com.

Sleep it off
Getting enough shut-eye can keep your body from storing fat, scientists at Laval University in Quebec note. Night owls who log fewer than six hours of sleep are 35 percent more likely to gain weight - on average, 11 pounds over six years - than those who get seven to eight. "Sleep deprivation increases cravings for sweets and starches," says James Gangwisch, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City. "It also causes your body to produce more of the stress hormone cortisol, which is linked to belly fat." To snag more sack time, set a radio alarm to sound 30 minutes before you want to go to bed, suggests Michael Breus, Ph.D., author of "Beauty Sleep." When it goes off, head to your room and relax with stretches or light reading (avoid anything agitating, such as the news). After a half hour, it's time to dream of a slimmer you.

Spice things up
Cooking your meals with garlic and pepper could help curb overeating, according to research presented at The Endocrine Society's annual meeting in San Francisco. Overweight people who sprinkled their food with zero-calorie spices lost an average of 30 pounds in six months, compared with two pounds in a control group. "The flavors made people focus on the sensory characteristics of the food - its smell and taste," explains study author Alan Hirsch, M.D., founder of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago. "The foods were more enjoyable, so people felt fuller faster and didn't eat as much." Sniffing the dishes was key, Dr. Hirsch says, because 90 percent of what you taste is determined by what you smell. The spices used in the study tasted like cheddar, onion, ranch dressing, taco sauce and Parmesan, but many no-and low-calorie seasonings in your kitchen, such as garlic and horseradish, will work as well, he says. To maximize the slimming impact of these ingredients, spend a moment enjoying the aroma of your food before every bite.

Give yourself props
You raked leaves all afternoon? Pat yourself on the back. It might sound hokey, but simply applauding your everyday calorie-burning activities can help you shed pounds. Researchers at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, told half a group of female hotel housekeepers that their job provided enough exercise to improve their health and left the other half in the dark. A month later, those in the know had lost an average of two pounds, lowered their body fat percentage and blood pressure and improved their waist-to-hip ratio, compared with those who were clueless about their calorie burn. What's more surprising? "The women did not make healthier choices because of the information - there was no change to their eating or working habits," study author Ellen Langer, Ph.D., says. "The only difference was the women's mind-set." Previous research suggests that having a positive attitude may help reduce overall stress levels - which can make eating healthy easier. So tell yourself that you're burning calories all day when you deliver a message in person, scrub the tub or walk from store to store in search of beautiful new boots.

Eat when you're hungry
Think suffering with a growling tummy is the way to drop pounds? Wrong! Women who eat when hungry and stop when satisfied have a lower average body-mass index than those who eat for other reasons, a study by Tylka finds. Try to tune in to your body's signals. "If your hunger comes on suddenly, then it's probably being triggered by an emotion or event," Tylka says. Instead of raiding the fridge, ask yourself what you're truly feeling. If you're stressed, call a friend or hit the gym for a fun class. Bored? Start a Sudoku puzzle or plan your next vacation. And give yourself a little love. Other research by Tylka concludes that women who are satisfied with their body are more likely to eat when they're hungry, and vice versa. Each morning when you look in the mirror, praise (out loud) one thing you like about your body, instead of focusing on flaws.

Breathe away weight
Inhale, exhale and then step on the scale. Women who took a weekly meditation class shed about a pound a week, say scientists from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. "People often eat when they're stressed and sleepwalk through an entire meal," study author Brian Shelley, M.D., explains. Meditating before and during meals helped the dieters eat less and enjoy their dishes more. A one-minute trick: Before you dig in, sit and take a few deep breaths. Notice the food and think of it as nourishment, not as calories. Take a bite and focus on the food's taste and texture. After you swallow, take a deep breath. There's no need to consume all your meals this meticulously, but starting off with a few mindful bites could help curb overeating.

Surrender the salt shaker
Salt may be calorie-free, but it can still contribute to body fat - and not only because it piggybacks on greasy snacks such as fries and chips. A review in Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases reports that as salt intake increased by more than 50 percent in the United States since 1985, so did consumption of sweet beverages such as soda and juice. Salt leads to thirst, which Americans tend to quench with big sugary drinks. Seek out packaged products labeled low-salt or low-sodium, which means they have less than 140 milligrams per serving. (Your daily limit is 2,300mg.) And if you indulge in something salty, wash it down with sparkling water or unsweetened iced tea instead of sweet sips.

Savor a good laugh
Consider this license to be a couch potato: Cracking up at Kenneth on "30 Rock" can help you trim down. Watching a funny show caused adults to experience a 20 percent jump in heart rate and resting metabolism in a study at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. "Laughing uses up a lot of energy because it engages a variety of muscle groups, including your abs," study author Mac Buchowski, Ph.D., says. The metabolic boost that comes from chuckling for 15 minutes a day could add up to 14,600 more calories burned per year. Watch funny movies and sitcoms, read irreverent blogs and chitchat with pals and coworkers to fit in your 15 minutes and laugh off the pounds for good.

For more health and fitness tips, visit Self.com

Copyright © 2007 CondéNet. All rights reserved.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27069944/?GT1=43001
MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2008 MSNBC.com

Ryom Naraguta
Dec 4, 2008, 02:13 PM
U need 2 lose weight? Just lose it. Eat in moderation- no more than 1600 Cal for a lady, walk briskly 30 mins a day and you'll be fine.