PDA

View Full Version : [Article] God Does Not Make Sense

Mark Okin
May 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
<p>Who is God? How big is He? Where is He? How powerful is He? These and more are the questions going through the minds of many today, and the inability to find ready answers have led many to conclude that He does not exist.</p> <p>A late social crusader died an atheist. According to him, he asked God to help him pass an examination/test that meant so much to him. He put all his faith into it, but he still failed the test. Therefore, there couldn't be God. Or why would he still fail his test after all the prayers?</p> <p>The human mind cannot comprehend God in His fullness and that is why He appears inconsistent in His word, the Bible. This is also the reason just about anyone can read the bible today and come up with diverse verses to support or counter any claim.</p> <p>Our judgments as men (human beings) are limited to our sense of right and wrong, which is one basic distinction between man and animals. But even this is flawed because it is culture driven. One of the most basic definitions of culture is that it is the totality of a people's way of life. We will readily acknowledge that it varies from place to place, people to people. What is right (done) in some culture is an abomination in others.</p> <p>I know a place where the culture is to throw new born babies in the river and see if they live. If they lived, they are genuine, authentic children. If not, they are bastards and deserved to die. Of course a lot of children have died in the process. Is this right or wrong?</p> <p>In some places, it is the women that marry the men and pay the dowry, while in others it is the man that goes after the woman, pay the dowry and marry her. Which of the two situations is right or best?</p> <p>I know of a place where it is their practice that the host is expected to entertain his guest with the wife he considers the best among his wives. The guest cannot refuse to sleep with her. That would be interpreted to mean he had ill intentions toward his host. The woman even considers it a thing of honor to be the one so chosen to entertain the guest. This is not an extinct practice. But is this right or wrong?</p> <p>One people's delicacy is outright disgusting to others. For instance, sushi is raw fish. A lot of people cannot understand why you have to eat raw fish. What is wrong with cooking it? Some races eat frogs, lizards, cats, snakes and other animals that some consider unclean or evil. Who is right or wrong here?</p> <p>Widows in some places are expected to shave their heads, eat with unwashed hands for a time after their husband's death; they are deprived ownership of their late husband's estate, especially if she did not have children for the late. She is not expected to change her clothes or bathe during the period of mourning. Is this fair or not?</p> <p>There was a man in the bible, Jonah. He was sent to a city, Nineveh, to go and warn them about their evil deeds and that the wrath of God was sure to come upon them shortly. Jonah did not want to go, but God made him. The people repented and God changed His mind about destroying them, but Jonah was angry. To Jonah, why would He put him through all that stress and still let the people live? Was Jonah right or wrong in his wrath?</p> <p>Our sense of right and wrong derives from our social backgrounds, life experiences and what we have been told is the accepted behavioral mode. God made man and gave him a will; the ability to make rational decisions. Animals make decisions for self preservation and survival only, but man has created for himself a complex social system that also varies from place to place. The basic characteristics of a dog (barking, sniffing, tail swings etc) are the same everywhere, from China to Chile; Canada to Canberra. But men differ culturally from place to place because of their will and logical abilities. We are able to come up with mores that define acceptable standard of behaviors, but as we have seen, these vary from place to place and while it may appear strange, unacceptable and even weird to outsiders (culture shock), it is not so to those whose it is. Some of these cultural practices have been modified in light of "modernization", which sociologically may not be more than an aftermath of culture conflicts and the seeming superiority of one over the other.</p> <p>If our judgment derives from these non-universally acceptable senses of right and wrong, what makes us think we can understand God from this platform? If within and between ourselves as human race, we are not able to come to terms and agree on what is right or wrong and acceptable, who are we to judge God from this narrow, epistemic perspective?</p> <p>God is a complex being and the human mind or sense cannot fathom Him. One day He does something we think is right and appropriate. The next day He does another thing that we consider less than acceptable. Is He right or wrong and on what basis? The bible is replete with the things He did, which we adjudge right or wrong based on our faulty and incomplete sense of right and wrong.</p> <p>Romans 9 <sup>13 </sup>As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. By the way, "hated" here is not to mean <em>maliciousness</em>, but <strong><em>preference</em></strong>. But then, here are two children yet unborn. Before their birth, God decided to make one superior to the other.</p> <p>Genesis 25<sup>23</sup> And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.</p> <p>And this He did before either child had any chance to do evil or good. Therefore while we love to blame Esau for who he was, his attitude and actions, he was only acting out a script he did not write. Makes any sense?</p> <p>God is a loving God, the creator of life, but He put plagues on the Egyptians including killing innocent firstborn.</p> <p>Exodus 11<sup>5</sup>And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.</p> <p>And why did He do this?</p> <p>Exodus 9<sup>12</sup>And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had spoken unto Moses.</p> <p>Exodus 9<sup>16</sup>And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.</p> <p>God had a predetermined purpose to glorify His name. He intended ultimately, to cause Pharaoh and his army to perish in the Red Sea. So, while Moses was asking him to let them go, Pharaoh would not listen because God hardened his heart and continued to do so until the end was achieved. Does this make sense?</p> <p>One of His many promises is that His children will live to a ripe old age, but He allows His workers, children to die on sick beds when He could have healed them. He <em>allows</em> bad things to happen to good people. Job was not aware of the conversation in heaven, but in one day he suffered the loss of practically everything he owned including his children.</p> <p>Job 1&nbsp;<sup>6</sup>Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.</p> <p><sup>7</sup>And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.</p> <p><sup>8</sup>And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?</p> <p><sup>9</sup>Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?</p> <p><sup>10</sup>Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.</p> <p><sup>11</sup>But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.</p> <p><sup>12</sup>And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.</p> <p><sup>20</sup>Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,</p> <p><sup>21</sup>And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.</p> <p>Job's troubles were not caused by God, but He allowed it. Job didn't know this because he actually believed the evil came from God. Do you still wonder why bad things happen to good people? Makes any sense?</p> <p>One of the reasons we do not advise couples to divorce each other right away is often because of the welfare of the children. It may also be for the upkeep of the "weaker" partner, but primarily because of the children. It is in the bible that God hates divorce, but in order to prove His point, He asked His prophet (Hosea) to go and marry a harlot and divorce her after three children. How are the interests of the children in this relationship catered for? Makes any sense?</p> <p>Women go through menstrual cycle every month and the degree of pain associated with it varies from person to person. Whichever way it goes, it definitely is not a tea party they look forward to. But God made the man and the woman. A lady once told me it was unfair of God to have made her a woman without first consulting her, yet make her go through so much pain every month. Why don't men go through similar pains for being men? Is she right or wrong? Makes any sense?</p> <p>A man had spent his entire adult life robbing others of their possession. He was a thief and it was so bad the society decided he would be better off dead by crucifixion. By all yardsticks, he was on his way to hell (Luke 23<sup>39-43</sup>) but Jesus told him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. Fair? Makes any sense?</p> <p>Neither does the mystery of the Trinity make any sense. How can there be three people who are at the same time one and equal? God has a Son, but He never had a wife. So, where did the Son come from? If our tools of analytical reasoning; logic can not explain it, it doesn't make any sense. Of course it doesn't, but is it utopian or chimerical? Does that remove from His majesty?</p> <p>To many people, God does not exist because He doesn't fit into any framework of analysis. He is not scientific. He dwells in light unapproachable but makes the dark places his secret pavilion. He is beyond comprehension. We don't understand Him. You cannot even defend Him in any argument because just when you say this thing is not right, and therefore He can't do it, that is what He will do. Then what? You make a boast of Him that He will do something, then He decides not to. He is the self existing and eternal one. He does not need any help to be who He is. He cannot even get better.</p> <p>Shedrack, Meshack and Abednego knew this when in Daniel 3 they told king Nebuchadnezzar:</p> <p><sup>17</sup>If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.</p> <p><sup>18</sup><strong>But if not</strong>, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.</p> <p>They knew there was a possibility that He wouldn't deliver them, but it didn't matter. They knew Him and their faith in Him was not based on what He would or would not do. Reason why it was stated in Daniel 11<sup> 32</sup>And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: <u>but the people that do <strong>know</strong> their God shall be strong, and do exploits</u>.</p> <p>Knowing God involves also acknowledging that He is more than we can say, see, do, think or feel. He is all in His own class, all by Himself. Think of the most powerful King whose word is law and cannot be called to question. He is not a democrat. He does as He pleases. He reigns and rules even in the affairs of men. He sets up kingdoms and brings down others. He reigns forever. He has no beginning or end. He created everything by the power of His word. Why do you think such a person would make sense?</p> <p>I cannot think of a rational, predictable God. He would have come to the level of man. The God I know does not make sense. If He does, He wouldn't be God. Makes any sense?</p> <p>xpressmark@gmail.com </p> <p><br><br><a target="_blank" href=http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9257><b>..Read the full article</b></a><br>

terver.atsar
May 22, 2008, 09:48 AM
...I know of a place where it is their practice that the host is expected to entertain his guest with the wife he considers the best among his wives. The guest cannot refuse to sleep with her. That would be interpreted to mean he had ill intentions toward his host. The woman even considers it a thing of honor to be the one so chosen to entertain the guest. This is not an extinct practice. But is this right or wrong?...

Where is this place?

TEchi
May 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yet this incomprehensible, omnipotent, omniscience and omnipresent God, is the same God who revealed Himself in the person of His Son Jesus Christ to those whom He had called from the foundation of world to himself. John 3:16; Romans 5:8, 6:23; John 1:12; Rev. 3:20.

Even though a lot of things may not make sense yet He did not leave mankind without the revelation of His knowledge, the glory of His creation around us, the mercy of His daily kindness toward all; so that God will not allow or accept any excuses for mankind's sinful behavior. The book of Romans 1 verses 19 thru 30 says all.

God's Wrath Against Mankind [QUOTE]

18-20 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator - who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. [END QUOTE]

God will do exactly what He says He will do, that is, He will have mercy on those who through the Holy Spirit come to Him for salvation but will judge those who are without repentance on the day He has set for their home coming DEATH!.
I do hope your write-up make people evaluate their lives at this stage in their pilgrimage here on planet earth.

draftman
May 23, 2008, 04:48 AM
Please spare us with all these xtian quotes. Not everyone understand or believe like you, some of have a mind to think for our self, not been feed by your false, european/jewish written book called "bible" I dont and you don't either whether there's god, Allah, Yawee or not, if there's, I have many questions, like why 200 innocent chelren was crush to death in China's earthquake? why creat different races which result in fighting among each other, why we have wealthy children and very, very poor children, why create poor & rich countries, and we smart people and dumb, etc... If this creator is a fair one, why make some of his creation suffer and other live in luxury without any efforts of their own, especially children. I don't believe that anyone as a direct pass to "god" or anyone to save me, you will not find it in your bible that your Jesus is your personal saviour. I follow my heart in my daily dealing for my righteous guidance, as an adult I know what is wright & wrong to me.

Stop quoting this bible nonsense from your master to us.

Alake
May 23, 2008, 07:37 AM
And that is why He is called a MIGHTY GOD, He will do what He says, He will say what He will do. He is never a Liar. There is none that can be compared to him. With Him ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. Though there is one thing My God can never, never do,........... He can never make a mistake. He is the ALL IN ALL.

agbonizuanghwe
May 23, 2008, 07:58 AM
Th bible is a flawed document as evidence of the existence of God and God's relationship to human kind. The reason? it has been revised time and time and time again and a lot of the stories used to buttress behavioural values are mostly borrowed from other cultures that share the same locational origins as the bible. Cultures considered pagan and villified by the people of the 'book'.

Still this has not stopped the human being from seeking to find, learn and know the divine, the supernatural. What we should try not to do is disdain other peoples quest for this knowledge while we hold our own as superior and the only

ayanfeoluwa
May 23, 2008, 08:26 AM
honestly all comments on this artcle has just shown how our small minds cannot fathom the Great God. What you cannot imagine, you cannot describe and what you cannot describe you cannot judge. You can keep on and on with endless arguments which will be fruitless. but i have this question which you need to be sincere before - have you ever said a prayer? to who? if God doesn't make sense, why pray to Him? Do you make sense to yourself by praying to Him? just be real and be truthful. HE IS GOD & WE CAN'T FATHOM HIM

Agidimolaja
May 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
There we go again. It is God's matter one more time. I don't want to talk about Him but I can't afford not to talk. The reason is simple; I don't understand Him. Therefore He should make himself to be as understandable as possible so that we shall not be wondering anylonger if there is God or not.

Several questions are still unanswered and our Holy Bible is not helping us because there are no answers to such questions therein.

Please don't even bother to ask our reverend gentlemen, Pastors, Bishops, Primates, Evangelists, Canons, etc for they too know not. The sad thing is that theywould not openly admit that they know not.

God where art thou?

My fellow Christians are so blind to truths and are so uninspired to ask questions yet many of them are boasting of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Do christians know that Adam and Eve were not the first sinners?And that the first sindid not take place in the Garden of Eden?

The Devil sinned first. The first sinner was the Devil. That was long ago before God decided to creat this present planet Earth then followed by creating other things then Adam and Eve as we were told in the Holy Bible.

The sin was commited right in the courtyard of Almighty God - in Heaven!The Earth was not created then. The Devil was an Angel in the presence of God.

I wondered in vain as to how couldan Angel ministering to an Almighty God in heaven sinned?Why did he become so jealous of God that he staged a coup against God in a frantic effort to unseat Him,the Geat One? Remember folks, that incident happened in heaven as we were told in the Bible.In heaven, of allplaces.

Then , why did God not instantly punish the Devil for his sins by destroying him and other fellow plotters instead of just casting him out of heaven to the outer space?

The Devil was casted into the outer solar system.

After that unfortunate incident,God then decided to creat Planet Earth.

He created two human beings therein and gave them specific instructions.But, God did not prevent sinful and outcast Devil from travelling to and fro even as far as the newly created planet.

Apart from the specific instructions given toAdam and Eveconcerning which fruits to eat and which not to eat; these new creations were left defenceless and were never warned of the possibility of the Devil coming to visit and lie to them.

The Devil however emerged and lied to the people and caused them to sin. Yet God turned around to blame them for listening to the Devil of whom he did not forewarned them.

God then cursed these innocent people and drove them out from the comfort of the garden. They are now unprotected from the same Devil who now would have free access to them for the rest of their earthly exitences.

Should we not continue to wonder why God refused to destroy the sinful Devil or at least restrict his movements whereby he may not be in anycontact with His new creations?

Not only that. The curses pronounced upon Adam and Eveare not limited to them alone. The curses shall forever have great effects on every generation of human beings whoas a matter of fact have nothing to do with what happened in the Garden of Eden, including us today.Is this a fair deal?

The great question is that; are we then fairly treated by our own Creator who is punishing us for sins we did not originate or established?

We did not creat or born ourselves as sinners, we were created so; why then are we going to be thrown into hell fire for events that we did not participate in?I just don't know.

In the process, we are told that God now madeready a place called Hell fire,where,like unwanted articles, sinners shall be thrownwhile God would watchrather amusingly as His own handiwork is tormented and eventually destroyed.O yeah!

Lest I forget. We also have here with us various ailments. Who created them?God or the Devil?If it is God, then why?If it is the Devil, then why did He allow it?

Why is it that some people are born deformed?Did we not all come from Him and we are told that everything He made is good?Is being born blind a good thing?

He is a good God! But he put us in a mean world. He is a good God yet He allowed the Devil to overwhelm us continually. He is a good God but his arsenal is packed with weapons of mass destruction which He uses against us at any given time. He can cause the earthquake to pull down our structures. He can send us tsunami. We may be visited with volcanic eruptions or ceaseless rain, storms, hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons, mudslide, raging fires etc.Yet, He is our loving Father!

Tunde meee
May 23, 2008, 12:10 PM
A similitude to all those who could not understand why the Almighty God purnishes, destroys or favours as he wishes.

You sow a seed of maize
It germiated and eventually gave you a whole corn cob.
You processed it by separating the shaft from the grains.
Why did you have to remove and sometimes burn the shaft.
What are your criteria for your choice of the grains
what informed you of the criteria other than you being the Almighty decision maker over the poor fruit.
That is exactly what the Almighty God is to us all.
You can never imagine a pot without thinking of a pot maker somewhere.
How come you think man came into existence, with all his complexities, by accident?

Sapele Man
May 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
Those who have faith know where God is and know how to access his mercy.

AISAGBON OMOGIADE
May 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
The author of this piece refered to God using the pronoun "HIM" starting with capital letter "H" shows sign of reverence.Every of his other arguement could be considered as not holding water.

moe
May 23, 2008, 11:14 PM
The Issue of God.

I just thought I should throw in a few words on this topic. I dont want to say too much so the following may seem disjointed.

I have been investigating God for many years now and I found out that the entity called God is not really as most people see it. However that is not the biggest of mans woes. Man is not a creation of God but a nested creation i.e we are a creation of creations.

Putting it shortly, the world was populated by advance beings and those beings themselves were created by something that was in turn created by something. I am not at this point privileged to tell you how many creations lie in between man and God. But if only we were lucky to have been created by God himself, imagine how perfect we could have been and how our world would have been peaceful and without pain or sickness.

So while we are here we should try and be good when we can. This world is populated by angels, spirits, demons, gins, man etc all living on different planes of existence. These planes collide and intersect one another which allows an interaction between the entities and man at different levels.

The bible is not the writing of God but the attempt of man to try and comprehend God. The bible can act a guide to those who are granted its understanding. It can also act as a power source due to its word combination eg Psalms or as a talisman. So can other books and writings provided that they are combined well and empowered. Dont forget that all important quote "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God". The Word is the power, written or spoken. Incantations are Words, a materials chemical structure is its Word, DNA is a biological combination of the Word. Only the light is pure and contains no Word. (light as in life force not illumination)

I dont want to write too much here but I'll conclude by saying that you should worry yourselves not too much as we are not really in control of things as we will like to believe we are.

ikechukwu
May 23, 2008, 11:25 PM
In my opinion, the author of this article just raised an issue which bothers on pure mystery, a mystery that defies explanation or logic. The truth is that nobody can explain God because he is mystery. As there are so many reasons to believe there is God, there are equally so many reasons o believe otherwise. That is our reality.

In so many homes you would be regaled with how God has saved them from seemingly intractable problems, similarly there are so many homes where they wonder if God is really aware of their problems despite their service to him. It is a complicated thing. The writer just highlighted the apparent discripancies. some people make peace for God just as some people kill for god.My people these are realities of our time.
Depending on your standpoint, you have reasons quote the bible for your stories just like a person with opposing views can open the same bible for his own standpoint. However interpretation depends solely on personal background,experiences couple with orientation.

I believe what the article requires is understanding of present day realities.

Akpu-Nku
May 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
Africans themselves have no idea that the story of the bible originates from Africa. Therefore, it is not a European God or religion. It is African God and religion. The African worshiped God before Abraham and the politicised European God. Europe had no religion. They were pagan Europe who worshiped trees,rocks,hills,sun,sea and what have you.

Use the internet and the library to find out how the bible came about and from where.

Find out who started the worshipping of one God and where even before Abraham settled in Egypt.

Find out why the Isrealites burnt down the greatest library in Egypt which was the centre for highest learning in the first world and what they took from it.

"From Egypt I took/brought your God"Explain.

Who is Jesus Christ and what was/is he?

Does every Isrealite/Jew believe in "Jesus Christ" and why is this?

Why is he associated with Egypt and not Greece, Italy or Turkey? Or why not Saudi Arabia, Iraq or Iran?

Who is Arius Josephus Calpurnius Piso/ Josephus Ben Mathaias concerning the bible?

What is Karast and Messeh used in Egyptian religion before even Abraham arived there to settle?

Do you know that there is nothing like Jews? Try, you are the "jewels" of the earth or something like that. Ask a Jacobite/Isrealite if you doubt me.

Hebrew is derived from abiru/hibiru (archaic Arabic) ( one who crossed over), when Abraham crossed the river to settle in Egypt. It is not the language of the Isrealites which the whole world believes it is.

The Isrealites where never slaves to anybody but a clever propaganda and stolen religion propagated since 2,000 years says that it is so. The Israelites also ruled as Kings in Egypt as equal citizens of 430 years but were chased out when they began enslaving their hosts by Ah Mose 11 who raise a formidable army against the Spheperd king. Before they fled however, they destroyed the City and burnt down the library containing knowledge spanning thousands of years, of science,maths, religion, art, agriculture, architecture, astronomy, astrology, engineering, masonry, language, alphabets, medicine etc.

Suddenly religion became "Jewish" and Osiris, Isis and Horus(father,mother,son) become God, Son, Holy ghost(father, son and the holy ghost) no mother!:icon_ques

Do you know there are ghost-spells acording to Judas Iscariot, Mary Magdalene, Simon the brother of Jesus, Peter, Philip and everyboy else that could write that said they knew Jesus?

Have you seen the Torah and what it contains?

Which God are you worshipping, do you know?

Have you looked at your King James bible and bothered to read who you are paying allegiance to in the preface?

Why do you think "Watch Tower" Jehovah Witnesses don't say "Amen" and do not believe in the new tastement or Jesus?

What is Amum? Amun? Amen?

What is Amen Rah?

What is Rah?

What is the bible?:eek:

Aremu
May 24, 2008, 03:23 PM
You want to pay a visit perhaps you might be entertained with one?

agbonizuanghwe
May 24, 2008, 09:43 PM
Africans themselves have no idea that the story of the bible originates from Africa. :

Mesopotamia is in Africa? I thought that was Iraq

Showcase
May 26, 2008, 02:15 AM
In my opinion, the author of this article just raised an issue which bothers on pure mystery, a mystery that defies explanation or logic. The truth is that nobody can explain God because he is mystery. As there are so many reasons to believe there is God, there are equally so many reasons o believe otherwise. That is our reality.

In so many homes you would be regaled with how God has saved them from seemingly intractable problems, similarly there are so many homes where they wonder if God is really aware of their problems despite their service to him. It is a complicated thing. The writer just highlighted the apparent discripancies. some people make peace for God just as some people kill for god.My people these are realities of our time.
Depending on your standpoint, you have reasons quote the bible for your stories just like a person with opposing views can open the same bible for his own standpoint. However interpretation depends solely on personal background,experiences couple with orientation.

I believe what the article requires is understanding of present day realities.

A fair summary of the article. Right on the money.

crazyotor
May 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
It is sensible to believe that there is God. But there are stupid people as well that think God is their errand boy.

Auspicious
May 26, 2008, 10:41 PM
"God does not make sense"

Perhaps..

Perhaps man is too far-off from God to make any sense of Him or His ways, no?

Or perhaps, He is so superior to you, that it is impossible to make sense of Him,

Imagine an Ant sitting under a monolith like a Hercules C-130 Jet, thinking aloud:

"Human beings! (Sigh!). Really, they make no sense!"

Di Ant go tey dia well-well. Abi nor be so? (Na sooo, o'jare!) :lol:

Auspicious.

Showcase
May 27, 2008, 09:57 PM
"God does not make sense"

Perhaps..

Perhaps man is too far-off from God to make any sense of Him or His ways, no?

Or perhaps, He is so superior to you, that it is impossible to make sense of Him,

Imagine an Ant sitting under a monolith like a Hercules C-130 Jet, thinking aloud:

"Human beings! (Sigh!). Really, they make no sense!"

Di Ant go tey dia well-well. Abi nor be so? (Na sooo, o'jare!) :lol:

Auspicious.

I hope we see more of you when the election is finally over...

0sula0
May 28, 2008, 09:18 AM
...I know of a place where it is their practice that the host is expected to entertain his guest with the wife he considers the best among his wives. The guest cannot refuse to sleep with her. That would be interpreted to mean he had ill intentions toward his host. The woman even considers it a thing of honor to be the one so chosen to entertain the guest. This is not an extinct practice. But is this right or wrong?...

Where is this place?

I, too, am curious. Where is this "jolly" place?

Sapele Man
May 28, 2008, 08:33 PM
The starting point is to ask oneself whether everything on earth has its origin. I believe they do. It is difficult to imagine that living beings suddenly appeared on earth. They must all have their origin. It is this mystery that made man to hypothesise about a super naturally being existing somewhere.

Whether there is God is a matter of perception and faith. On balance it is better to believe that there is God because it cost you nothing in believing so.

DaBishop
May 28, 2008, 08:59 PM
For those who say there is no God,
please consider....

In diverse cultures without contact to each other, primitive and more civilized, there is a name reserved for the Supreme Being...before the advent of the missionaries...How so?

Agreement also means, I see it, I am in concert with it, I understand and want to participate...why do the diverse persons agree when preached to...

Confessing...is agreement that Jesus is Lord...

Many shall be in hell not merely because they are sinners (we are all born sinners)...many shall die in sin...

Because they heard the gospel...and made a freewill choice Not to believe

That is why we say to one and all...
Repent and believe the gospel (good news)- that Jesus suffered and died for our sins and rose again on the third day, that if we believe in Him, relying on Him in faith, we shall be saved from sin - for the gospel is the power of God for salvation to all...to the Jew first, then to the gentiles (i.e., us). Now we are without excuse.

Da Bishop.

folys40
May 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=agbonizuanghwe;4295045553]Th bible is a flawed document as evidence of the existence of God and God's relationship to human kind. The reason? it has been revised time and time and time again and a lot of the stories used to buttress behavioural values are mostly borrowed from other cultures that share the same locational origins as the bible. Cultures considered pagan and villified by the people of the 'book'.

First of all, let me start off by saying that I am not a pastor. I am an accountant but I know a little bit about the bible.

The bible is never a flawed document as you stated. It is true that it was revised. How many times I do not know. In the Old Testament era, they were called canons. For example, Genesis is one, Exodus is another one. The first five were written by Moses. Some said that he actually wrote six books but five were accepted. I will talk more on that later. These five books of Moses is known as the Pentateuch. The last book of the Old Testament is Malachi. Now, between this last book and the first book of the New Testament, there was a gap of 400 years. (By the way, Matthew is not the first book of the New Testament. It was just arranged like that.) During these 400 years, a body of literature was formed that came to be called "Apocrypha". The word means hidden. This body (Apocrypha) shed interesting light on the period of Hebrew history during this gap of 400 years between the Testaments. This was the period during which the Jewish culture was strongly influenced by Greek (Hellenistic) ideas and the Hellenization of Israel can be clearly seen in these works. Actually, the translation of the Old Testament is a sign of the Hellenistic influence. Books that were then in the Apocrypha and not accepted into the bible were:
Tobit, a book of edifying historical fiction;
Judith, a book of edifying historical fiction;
The Wisdom of Solomon, a wisdom book similar to Proverbs and Ecclesiates;
Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), another wisdom book;
Baruch, an add-on to Jeremiah, supposedly written by Jeremiah's assistant and then the First and Second Maccabees, epic historical works.
All these books make interesting and even informative reading but if you look at the chosen books (canons) of the Old Testament, you will find out that they ALL point clearly to Jesus, but these named here did not.

I read that that was a major reason that Saint Jerome (don't ask me about him, I don't know him.) questioned the validity of those books. Eventually, around AD 325 all the books (canons) were selected and those (Apocrypha) were removed. Bear in mind that befofe they were called canons. Now this time, AD 325 all those books that were picked now formed the bible. Some of the New Testament books too were removed.

The very first written book of the New Testament is James who was the half brother of Jesus the Christ. :cool:

Akpu-Nku
May 29, 2008, 07:13 PM
Mesopotamia is in Africa? I thought that was Iraq

agbonizuanghwe

Did the Isrealites fled from Iraq or Egypt?

By the way, I am not in anyway disputing that there is a God because there is but not the European God from and by the Europeans as it was concocted by the Isrealites and pagan Europe.

My God is Chukwu who all Africans knew and worshipped before the coming of Europe and their con-tricks. We knew more about God Chukwu Chineke than they did before they came and told us we were wrong. How else would we have known what Chukwu or God is in a name if we did not know God?

Abegi tell me another one. The more you look the less you see. Magic!:D

princedavidola
Jan 6, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you for your article amatori or whatever the name is, i want to use this opportunity to tell you that God never made mistake creating all that exists in the world today, Yes you said the first sinner was devil, i agree with you, and you said God did not inform the two being he created that there is devil somewhere that he sent out from heaven, i don't believe that is true, God come down every day to communicate with Adam, if you said even is not aware, i will not argue with that, and remember that adam wasn't around when the serpent came. That is one. You also said why God did not destroy devil immediately he sinned, this is your answer, our God is sovereign, remember devil succeeded with some angels, and look is so powerful, if he had destroyed devil, you and I will not be able to talk about his power, and because he is powerful and created all things, he told devil, you think i will be fighting you, not even angels, cause you might said we are together before they know your secret, no i will not allow angels to fight you, but i am going to create someone that i will give power to that will bruise your head, that was why God called the host of heaven and said let is create man in our own image, and i want you to know that all this things that devil is using as weapon are created for our own good, but devil sees it as tools against human being that God created, but remember Jesus said all power in heaven and on earth has been given unto me, greater work than what i did will you do, now the host of heaven are laughing at devil that just earthly creature are dealing with you like this, it is finish for you, so devil was so annoyed and decided, let me deal with this people before they will destroy me, that is why bible said devil goes up and down everyday looking for whom to destroy, that thank God for Jesus that enter into the gate of death and took the key from death and gave us the power to overcome the devil. I believe this answer your questions, if no pls write me back on princedavid_ola@yahoo.com. To those who accept him as their Lord we are given this power to overcome satan.