PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian woman investigated for home-health fraud

OverLoad
May 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
Quick question what da heck did she do with all that money geezzz
8 million dollars????
Why would you be so bold to do this kind of a thing when you were ordered deported in 1992??....

Link to the story -- video is on the right you can see the woman...
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=6E5E1981F997ECB8D57359FA76277B59 ?contentId=6414759&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

News Station Investigation - Home Health Care Business

A woman at the center of a News Station Investigation is behind bars, in federal custody. Fox 4's Becky Oliver has been investigating Irene Anderson and her home health care business for six months. While many in need have struggled to get help from the government, Anderson has collected millions of tax dollars from Medicare.

Lupus and multiple sclerosis has robbed 58-year-old Dorothy Watkins of her health. The former librarian is bed-ridden, paralyzed, and needs help eating and bathing. But her son says he can't get the federal government to cover the cost of home health care for his mother. "No one wants to accept responsibility. My mother is sitting here deteriorating," says Arnold Watkins. "The system is broken."

The system is broken for some, but very lucrative for others like Irene Anderson. Anderson is a Nigerian national who operates AG Total Care, a Dallas home health care agency and New Dimensions, a home health agency in Sulphur Springs.

Records show Medicare paid Anderson $8,277,719.30 over the past two years to care for homebound patients. Anderson's patients include a man FOX 4 saw moving furniture, a lady we saw running errands, and a man we found out enjoying barbeque. Somehow they all qualified for home health care coverage, courtesy of the federal government.

A former employee of AG Total Care, who worked as a registered nurse, filed complaints with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, and the Texas Attorney General. She claims government money is being wasted and Anderson's patients were not actually receiving home health care services. Two other former employees also filed complaints with the State. "It's unreal the amount of things that have gone on there and the state is aware of it and done nothing about it," one of the employees told FOX 4. "I told them everything that was going on," another former employee said. "I told them about billing on patients who are not homebound." The three former employees say all the state had to do is watch the patients' homes. But they say state authorities responded by saying they did not have the manpower to investigate the allegations.

FOX 4 accepted the challenge. We watched for a full day in late December as a man supposedly under Anderson's care frequently left his house in his truck and returned home with his arms full of items. The next day he moved an entire truckload of items to the curb, including heavy mattresses. In March we watched him again and saw him unload a truck.

"The problem here, number one, the person does not qualify for home health under Medicare, period, if they are not homebound," says Anita Bradberry, Executive Director of the Texas Association for Home Health. Bradberry says, under government rules, to qualify as "homebound," leaving home must be a "major effort" and the person cannot normally go "unassisted." The statute also says a homebound person should only leave home to get "medical care" or for short, "infrequent trips" to places like church or adult care facilities. Bradberry says homebound patients should not be moving furniture or running frequent errands.

FOX 4 caught up with one of Irene Anderson's "homebound" patients as he left a Home Depot. He confirmed that his AG Total Care nurse comes every morning and again in late afternoon to give him insulin shots for his diabetes. "Why don't you just drive yourself to the doctor instead of the nurse coming to your house?" asked Fox 4's Becky Oliver. "Uhh, because at times I don't have the transportation to get myself back and forth and around," the man replied.

We also watched a woman, day after day, who ran errands all over town. She told us she also receives twice-a-day visits from an AG Total Care nurse. The woman claimed she only drives in emergencies, yet FOX 4 cameras show her going to the post office, the drug store, the supermarket, and the Salvation Army. On one occasion we noticed a passenger with her. "We saw you one day driving a lady around, who is that?" asked Becky Oliver. "That was a friend of mine," the lady responded. "I take her to the doctor and sometimes I take her to get her medicine." Anita Bradberry says "there is no way" the lady would be "homebound" if she is driving frequently.

Irene Anderson's former Director of Nursing knows the law. She quit working for AG Total Care, she says, out of fear of losing her nursing license. The former employee says she believes some patients were coached. "These patients were perfectly capable of doing it, but they would tell me, ‘No, I can't do this or this.'"

Another man told FOX 4 he too was a twice-a-day patient of AG Total Care, yet he's still working. "I do brick work, fence work…" he told Becky Oliver. "I do roofing. I do leveling. I do everything. Anything to make a dime."

All three of the patients we spoke to say the same nurse visits them twice a day. The nurse's name is Samson Abiodun. Abiodun has a vocational nurse's license. He also has a criminal record including a 2002 assault conviction and a 2005 prostitution charge for which he received probation.

We did see Abiodun visit the patient who was moving furniture, back in December, for a few minutes around noon---not the typical time for diabetic needing insulin in the morning and afternoon. We wanted to ask Abiodun was what going on but he had nothing to say to Becky Oliver when she knocked on his door.

So, why would some of Anderson's patients say they are getting home health care if they are not? What's in it for them? According to complaints filed with the state, the patients are getting kickbacks. The complaining ex-employees say Anderson pays some patients so she can use their names to collect Medicare money.

FOX 4 tried to reach Irene Anderson. We called and went by the AG Total Care office and sent her attorney a letter. FOX 4 received no response until late today, after AG Total Care went to court to try to stop us from airing this report. A judge turned down the motion.

AG's attorney John Rivas then agreed to sit down with us. He states that every patient receiving care from his client has been certified as eligible by a doctor. He says the state has investigated and found AG to be in good standing.

It is true AG is in good standing with the state, which allows Anderson to continue to collect millions and millions of dollars from the government to care for "homebound" patients.

Meanwhile, families like the Watkins continue to struggle. "I am not trying to skirt the system," says Arnold Watkins. "I am just trying to get what I need to extend her life."

The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services says "there is currently no enforcement action or denial or revocation activity pending" against Irene Anderson, AG Total Care or New Dimensions. But the feds say she isn't even supposed to be in the country. In part two of this News Station Investigation, find out who Irene Anderson really is and why she is now behind bars.

Nigerian
May 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
I saw the title of this thread and I was like "Oh Lord, pls don't let this be in TX again." I guess I prayed a little too late.