PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Has anyone read The Mrs Club?

smilee
Mar 30, 2008, 02:55 AM
I stumbled upon this book on facebook. Ordered it (I try to support my Nigerian authors), read it in one seating and I loved it. It is light hearted and funny. Just what I needed after reading Dispatches from the edge.

I got a copy from Amazon - [video]http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Club-Ekene-Onu/dp/9781605855/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206729747&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Mrs Club: Ekene Onu: Books

http://www.themrsclub.com/reviews.htm

================================================== ================
The Mrs. Club:
Getting in is one thing, and staying in is another....

** Smart Sexy & Successful, these three Naija girls have everything going for them. So why dont they feel
complete? What do they think is missing?
-----

A book that married women and single women can definitely relate to.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Titi
My plan tonight was the same as it had been for the past year…to find a husband.
Yes, I said it; I believe in being open, after all you never know who has a single investment banker friend looking to settle down. What's more, I am not afraid to admit that these days I have to work a little harder and be more strategic because…well, I am on the wrong side of 30.
You see in the African community, age is definitely not on a woman's side. When you are about 22, you are put in the front window and are marked for sale. Then when you are about 26, they mark you 50% off, 75% off when you are 28 and then when you are 30, the sign is changed to say: "ALL GOODS MUST GO!"

Amaka
Then Jeffrey walked into my life. It was a made for a movie moment. The people around us began to blur and the room started to get dark and all I could see was him. By the time I realized that he had asked me to dance, I was in his arms and they felt so good.
They felt strong, not like a body builder's arms, but like a real man's should feel. They were playing Mary J. Blige's song, "Be Without You" and we were slow dancing. I found myself feeling all sorts of crazy things for this man and all I knew was his first name.

Mina
People usually ask me how I got so lucky and I tell them luck has nothing to do with it. My life is good because I made the right choices. So many women out there make unintelligent decisions for stupid reasons. As for me, I wanted this life and so I knew what I had to do.

Anike
Mar 30, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Smilee.

missmom
Apr 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
i can't seem to find this book in the UK?
has anyone been able to get it in the Uk?

Anike
May 18, 2008, 05:25 AM
Oh my! Smilee, I have no business being up at this time, but thank you for recommending this book. I absolutely enjoyed the book. I was reading and going "I know Titi, I recognize Mina, I know Amaka". I like the normal Naija/easy flow. Hmmnnnn... a must read! I'll be giving copies as gifts. I'd love to know what happened like say 3 years after with the ladies, but that one na the beginning of tatafo galore. I am not sure which of the ladies I felt most sorry for, but Mina's pains tugged at my heart. And Obinna.... but can you blame the poor guy? I mean, he tried to be honest. I know they'll come back together. Oh wait! It's all fiction... a novel... not real. Drats!

Thank you to Ekene too, who I think visits NVS. I was reading some of the descriptions and I was seeing pictures in my head.

I'll give the book 4.98 stars out of a possible 5. (the .02 is for too many typos...)

crimsonbabe
May 19, 2008, 03:30 PM
It was a very fun and easy read. Read it at a sitting a couple of months ago. I ordered off her blog and paid via paypal..

Ekene is a good writer. More grease to her elbows.

smilee
May 19, 2008, 04:35 PM
Oh my! Smilee, I have no business being up at this time, but thank you for recommending this book. I absolutely enjoyed the book. I was reading and going "I know Titi, I recognize Mina, I know Amaka". I like the normal Naija/easy flow. Hmmnnnn... a must read! I'll be giving copies as gifts. I'd love to know what happened like say 3 years after with the ladies, but that one na the beginning of tatafo galore. I am not sure which of the ladies I felt most sorry for, but Mina's pains tugged at my heart. And Obinna.... but can you blame the poor guy? I mean, he tried to be honest. I know they'll come back together. Oh wait! It's all fiction... a novel... not real. Drats!

Thank you to Ekene too, who I think visits NVS. I was reading some of the descriptions and I was seeing pictures in my head.

I'll give the book 4.98 stars out of a possible 5.

Anike dearest,

I feel you 100%. As I was reading the book I was just shifting gear from one character to the other. I loved it loved it loved it! I can see why Mina stood out to you because there are so many like her. I really like the easy read & yes I finished it in a day too. I am planning a baby shower for my sis, I want to give the book as gifts - thats how much I loved it!

:smile:

.bebi
May 19, 2008, 07:48 PM
I read a review before.Now I have to go by one.

smilee
May 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
I read a review before.Now I have to go by one.

Bebi,

Trust me you wont regret it.

:biggrin:

Myne Whitman
May 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
The book cannot be delivered to the UK by the website. Now, I am hoping those in the US planning to give this as gifts will put me on their list...hint...hint...

missmom
May 20, 2008, 10:05 PM
it seems like it's only available in the states, and cant be delivered to the UK.

has anyone in the uk bought it? i really want to read it

smilee
May 21, 2008, 01:58 AM
My advice is to go to the authors website & send her an email, they probably have a way to distribute it in the UK. If they are selling it in Nigeria then they must have it in the UK.

smilee
May 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
If you are in the UK you can order it from amazon.com

Info above is from the author.

:smile:

IZONERE
May 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw the book at Borders, for those in the UK..........

MsWoman
Jun 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
I ordered mine last night from amazon.com (US). Looking forward to getting it.

@Anike: along with a KSA old skool CD so my shipping was free..he-he-he!

Anike
Jun 4, 2008, 03:29 AM
I ordered mine last night from amazon.com (US). Looking forward to getting it.

@Anike: along with a KSA old skool CD so my shipping was free..he-he-he!
You'll so love it, I think.

Speaking of KSA, I just saw a video of him in the "Happy Day 2007" video.

Anike
Sep 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
"...

In the book, you had three main successful characters and they were: Titi, Mina and Amaka - which do you identify most with? Why?
I identify with them all at different times and for different reasons. Amaka is like me, a romantic and at one time I was that naïve. Titi and I share a knack for calling it like we see it – well sometimes anyway and Mina, well I know a thing or two about wearing a mask and as a dear friend puts it giving that cocktail laugh to hide who you really are.

..."

Read the full African Loft interview with Ekene Onu (http://www.africanloft.com/ekene-onu-on-the-mrs-club/).