PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Book Recommendations

Soul Sista
Mar 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
Folks:

Here are some great Nigerian authored books that I have read in the last couple of months.

1. Yellow-Yellow by Kaine Agary

2. A Gift of Sequins by Victor Banjo and Yinka Omigbodun

3. In the Blink of an Eye by Eugenia Abu (a collection of articles written by Abu)

4. How to be a Nigeria and The Complete Nigerian by Peter Enahoro (I had read these before but I happened upon them again quite fortuitously.)

All are great books; I would recommend them to anyone with an interest in Nigeria.

Soul Sista a/k/a Soul Sizzling

EezeeBee
Mar 4, 2008, 04:45 AM
Soul Sista, good picks!

Actually this year I set out to seek out and read books by Nigerian authors and I was truly blown away! I experienced the adage 'build the roads, they will come'.

I had NO IDEA just how many Nigerian authors are out there till I began to look!

In places like NuMetro book store in Lagos (at Silverbird Galleria and at the Palms) you see so many books by Nigerians, it's a beautiful thang!

I've read Yellow-Yellow and really enjoyed it. I've got my eye on Eugenia Abu's 'In the Blink of an Eye'. I read How to be a Nigerian and I want to buy The Complete Nigerian. I think I'll buy them both as a set from Quintessence.

I also read both books by Helon Habila and was completely wowed! I'll say the creativity that was highly celebrated in people like Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka is alive and well in the new generation of Nigerian writers.

When I can, I'll attend their book signings, interview them and provide the interviews as podcasts to NVS!

Soul Sista
Mar 4, 2008, 08:22 PM
Soul Sista, good picks!

Actually this year I set out to seek out and read books by Nigerian authors and I was truly blown away! I experienced the adage 'build the roads, they will come'.

I had NO IDEA just how many Nigerian authors are out there till I began to look!

In places like NuMetro book store in Lagos (at Silverbird Galleria and at the Palms) you see so many books by Nigerians, it's a beautiful thang!

I've read Yellow-Yellow and really enjoyed it. I've got my eye on Eugenia Abu's 'In the Blink of an Eye'. I read How to be a Nigerian and I want to buy The Complete Nigerian. I think I'll buy them both as a set from Quintessence.

I also read both books by Helon Habila and was completely wowed! I'll say the creativity that was highly celebrated in people like Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka is alive and well in the new generation of Nigerian writers.

When I can, I'll attend their book signings, interview them and provide the interviews as podcasts to NVS!

EZeee!

You are right about that: the spirit of Soyinka and Achebe is still alive and kicking in our generation. Nigerians are writing. There are so many exciting writers that I have not even read from like Biyi Bandele Thomas and the Afolabi guy that won the Caine Prize sometime back, for example. And, it is not only in Nigeria, it is all over Africa. Have you read some of the blogs out there? You will bow for the writing. It is not until you get a book contract o!

Having said that, for some reason, Habila just does not do it for me. I have his first book. Can't even recall the name. I have tried and re-tried to read it. For where? I have not even bothered buying the second one although I was at a book reading where he read from it. It was the same thing with Half of a Yellow Sun. I could never get into it. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was home and someone gave my mother a copy as a gift. I sank into a chair at my parents and did not get up until I was done. That Chimamanda, na winch o :lol: She has an "old" spirit. She is something. It is a master piece. I decided that I read it too fast. So, I took it on a long flight and re-read. Same thing: Masterpiece! Perhaps Habila will do that to me one day.

Get the podcasts and let us hear, abeg. Thanks in advance.

Marin
Mar 31, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have been meaning to comment on this post for a while.... I also went to Nu metro last year when I was in Nigeria and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Some of the books I got and have already read are:

1) Everything good will Come, by Sefi Attah
2) Yellow Yellow - found the book interesting, although entirely predictable and I think the author needs to change publishers because the book was falling apart before I even finished reading it.
3) A Life elsewhere by Segun Afolabi - I must confess I haven't gotten too far on that yet, but its a short story collection, so that is okay.
4) Out of bounds - I can't remember the author right now, it also started falling apart at the binding before I finished it(and being the daughter of a librarian, I am quite careful with books!)

I also bought the following books but have not read them yet:

1) Goodbye Lucille - Segun Afolabi
2) Walking with Shadows - Jude Dibia
there were also a couple of books whose titles I can't remember right now. I think I also bought one by Helon Habila

SS, I read " How to be a NIgerian" as a girl, and its one of the funniest books I've ever read till date. I have been trying to get it to buy, but it seems unavailable via amazon.
I also bought Beasts of No Nations but have not yet read it.

I did like both Chimamanda Adichie books a lot, and Diana Evans 26A was also good. Icarus girl by Helen Oyeyemi was not really my thing though, and I got bored and I didn't finish it. I think it was a book more projected for white audiences more captivated by "bizarre Afriacn" phenomena. All in all, I read more books by Nigerian and African Authors in 2007 than in the 10 to 12 years preceeding it in total.

I am really wowed by the creativity that boils within Nigerians.

Mirinda
Apr 1, 2008, 10:17 PM
Icarus girl by Helen Oyeyemi . . . I think it was a book more projected for white audiences more captivated by "bizarre Afriacn" phenomena. I agree with you that the book does have an audience that it will be most appealing to. For me, there is an innocence to it that captivated me.

enna inot
Apr 4, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hello fellow villagers,
Pls,try reading Ngugi wa'Thiongo's Wizard of the crow,a wonderfuuuuuuuuuuul satire.
chimamanda is such a goooooood writer,i want to be like her when i grow up:D:D:D
Anyway,Purple Hibiscus was worth that award and more.....................
Sefi Attah's Everything good will come, another great book.Segun Afolabi,Eugenia Abu, Diane Evans,the list of good writers is endless.
On the western scene, try reading John Grisham's new book 'An Innocent man' a gripping tale
and for self improvement a must-read is Daniel Pink's A whole New Mind'

see you at the library!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SILENCE PLS

Soul Sista
Apr 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
My book of the moment is an old book, Matters Arising, by Olatunji Dare. Olatunji Dare, as some "old" villagers may remember, was one of the Guardian's most celebrated columnists. A master of style and satire if ever there was one. His prose is beautiful and his range of topics wide. Contemporary Olatunji Dare is available every week on the back page of The Nation.

But, this book, Matters Arising, is a collection of some of Dare's columns while he was at the Guardian during the 80s. It is sad that the same issues that Dare wrote about then are still with us: corruption, public deceit, public intrigue, a lack of concern for the masses etc etc, you get the drift. I just happened upon the book and I have been unable to put it down since.

One last thing, it is sad how things have changed in Naija. I looked on the first inside page of the book and you won't believe that the price written boldly on that page is N600. Go to ThisDay Media Center at the Palms and one hour on the NET costs you N500. Yet there was a time in this same country when N600 was a princely sum. I am sure that today, Dare's book will cost over N5,000. It is well.

Pooky
Apr 10, 2008, 07:30 PM
I am currently re-reading Medical Apartied by Harriet Washington. A few weeks ago I read Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler(speculative fiction). On my list next, is Fela: the Life and Times of an African by Michael Veal. Though I have a pretty good knowledge of origins of his music(Jazz, Funk, American Popular Music, Raggae and Highlife) and how he came to political consciousness, I have not really read anything about him. This book received pretty good reviews, so I will give it a try. I think afterwards, I am going to focus on reading books written by AAs on the origins of funk and the masters who created it. Though I am relatively knowledge about the genre and music, want want to know more and become very familiar with the artists, i.e. James Brown, Boosty Collins, George Clinton and the Funkadelics, Ohio Players, etc.

emj
Apr 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
Has anyone read the book...'The Monk who Sold his Ferrari' by Robin S Sharma? I intend to get a copy soonest. looks like an interesting read:)

http://www.chillibreeze.com/bookreviews/ThemonkwhosoldhisFerrari.asp

PS>>>>>the virtue of selflessness in serving others:cool: