PDA

View Full Version : Search Headache:a simplified search guide

Palamedes
Feb 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
Have you noticed that even when you enter a misspelled word in a search box, you still get back search results. This is because, like you, someone had misspelled their "keywords" or maybe google or hotmail is trying not to embarrassed you. No doubt, it can give you a feeling of reassurance; that you are not alone--that there are bad spellers [soul mates] like you out there.

However, remember that the search engines then exclude the good spelling search result [99% of them]. So next time you get very few search results, check your spelling.

Some Internet users think that the volume of a search result they get in one search is directly related to what they are trying to find. This is not true: Only 20 percent of the search results is directly relevant to the search. Here are some ways to reduce the volume of search result to a trickle:

1. Find those web pages that contain the keyword "Susan"; lets type into google or hotmail or yahoo search box:
Susan

2. Find only those web pages with the phrase or the words [Sexy Susan] that appear next to each other; lets use quotes (“ ”):
“Sexy Susan”

3. Find the pages with the phrase “Sexy Susan” and the country “Ethiopia”; lets use plus (“+”):
“Sexy Susan” +Ethiopia

4. Maybe “Sexy Susan” is from Ethiopia or Ethiopian or Eritrea; lets try:
“Sexy Susan” Ethiopia Ethiopian Eritrea

5.We change our mind, we don't want Eritrea; lets use minus (“-”):
“Sexy Susan” Ethiopia Ethiopian -Eritrea

6.Find “Sexy Susan” from Birmingham:
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham

7.We know that “Sexy Susan” did not come from UK; lets remove UK:
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham -UK

8.Just to be sure we have exclude the UK; lets also exclude England:
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham -UK -England

9.We know that “Sexy Susan” is married and and is not from the UK; so lets this:
“Sexy Susan” +married +Birmingham -UK

10.My friend now tells me that Sexy Susan's real name is “Angela Clarke” or “Angela Clark”; lets use (“OR”) or a vertical bar (“|”):
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham -UK -England +” Angela Clarke” OR “Angela Clarke”

11.Maybe, “Sexy Susan” has replaced the “Sexy” with similar word; lets use tilde (“~”):
~Sexy +Susan
Note: “~Sexy +Susan” matches '“Sexy Susan” SexySusan and any synonyms of “sexy”

12.We also know that “Sexy Susan” is about 21 but some say she is 36 years old; lets use range or two dots (“..”):
“Sexy Susan” 21..36

13.We know that “Sexy Susan” is between 21 and 36 years old and she charges between £45 to £60 for massage; lets use range or two dots (“..”):
“Sexy Susan” 21...36 £40..£60

14.My friend at #10 above now tells me he is not sure about Sexy Susan's last name but he thinks it starts with "Cl" lets use asterisk “*”:
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham -UK -England +Angela +Cl*

15.My friend also tells me that Sexy Susan's catch phrase is: “if u taste sue, you came for more sue”; lets give it a try:
“Sexy Susan” +Birmingham -UK -England +Angela +Cl* +“if *u taste sue, *u c*me for more su*”

Note the use of asterisks with words. This is to ensure that we cover as many variations of Susan catch phrase as possible. Usually it is enough to just stop at “...if *u taste sue” and ignore the rest.

Summaries

Phrases: “Sexy Susan”
Include word: “+” before a word or phrase
Exclude word: “-” before a word or phrase
Synonyms: “~” before a word or phrase
Either word: “OR” or (“|”) after and before a word or phrase
Replaced by word(s): (“*”) after or before a word