PDA

View Full Version : List of 401 orishas

Oluwato
Jan 19, 2008, 06:04 AM
I requested for an online link listing all the 401 orishas of the Yoruba religion. The only person who responded did not know of such a resource. I remembered how I was assisted two years ago when I needed some Yoruba terms so I deceded to start this thread.

I would be grateful if those who are knowledgeable post the names here. I will start by listing the few I know, feel free to add, continuing from the last number. Hopefully, we'll have all 401.

Thanking all in advance.

Oluwato

Name Sex
1) Osun Female
2) Yemoja Female
3) Ogun Male
4) Sango Male
5) Egungun Male
6) Osanyin Male
7) Agemo ?
8) Moremi Female
9) Aje ?
10) Esu Male
11) Orisha ibeji ?

Fjord
Jan 19, 2008, 06:22 AM
[edit] Partial List of Orishas Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orisha#Partial_List_of_Orishas
Babalu Aye - deity of disease and illness.
Eshu (Ellegua, Ex, Esu, Elegba, Legbara, Papa Legba) - messenger between human and divine, god of crossroads, also a phallic and fertility god. Eshu is recognized as a trickster and child like while Eleggua is Eshu under the influence of Obatala
Nana - female deity of creation, sky mother, associated with the moon.
Obatala (Obatal, Oxal, Orixal, Orisainl) - father of orishas and humankind
Ogoun (Ogm, Ogum, Ogou) - deity of iron, war, labour, and technology (e.g. railroads)
Olorun (Oldumare) - creator of the universe, sky father
Orunmila - deity of wisdom, divination and foresight
Oshun (Oshn, Ọṣun, Oxum, Ochun, Osun, Oschun) - goddess of rivers, love, fertility, and art
Oxossi (Oxsse, Ocshosi, Osoosi, Ochosi) - hunter and the scout of the orishas
Oya (Oy, Oi, Ians, Yans, Iansan) - goddess of wind, hurricanes, and underworld gates
Shango (Shang, Xango, Chang, Chango, Nago Shango) - warrior god of thunder, fire, sky father
Iemanja (Yemaja, Imanja, Yemay, Jemanja, Yemalla, Yemana, Yemanja, Yemaya, Yemayah, Yemoja, Ymoja, Nan, La Sirne, LaSiren, Mami Wata) - divine mother goddess, divine goddess of the sea and Mother of mankind
Ozain (Osain) - He owns the Omiero, a holy liquid consisting of many herbs, liquid through which all Saints and ceremonies have to go through. Ozain owns the herbs, is a natural healer.
Agayu - Father of Shango he is also said to be shango's brother in other stories, Agayu is said to be the orisha of volcanoes and the desert.
Osun - ruler of the head, Ori

Ogoun?? Funny. It was Wole Soyinka who consumated Ogun's introduction to Scandinavia:

It was inevitable that the Nordic world and the African, especially that part of it which constitutes the Yoruba world - should meet at the crossroads of Sweden. That I am the agent of such a symbolic encounter is due very simply to that my creative Muse is Ogun, the god of creativity and destruction, of the lyric and metallurgy. This deity anticipated your scientist Alfred Nobel at the very beginning of time by clearing a path through primordial chaos, dynamiting his way through the core of earth to open a route for his fellow deities who sought to be reunited with us, mortals.

In: http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1986/soyinka-speech.html

lizmoses
Jan 19, 2008, 10:09 AM
• aganju, the ferryman and orisa of fire, volcanos and desserts. sango’s father yet had a relationship with oshun sango’s wife
• obatala, the king of the white cloth
obatala retreated and turned himself into a beautiful woman (homosexuality). He returned to the river and traded his/her body for passage
• sango was the result of this uneasy union btw aganju and obatala
• oba, sango’s first and legitimate wife, another river goddess, offered Sango her ear to eat. He scorned her and she became the oba River
• oshun was sango’s second wife. Disdainfully tricked oba because she knew as the first wife, oba’s children would inherit sango’s kingdom
• oya was shango's third wife, and stole the secrets of his powerful magic

Note: they that worship them are like them – part 1

To be back with more.

Cheers

otito koro
Jan 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
Soponna, Aiyelala , Osanyin, Osumare, Oluweri, Oro and Orisha Idile.

purple
Jan 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/yor/yor03.htm Major gods in traditional Yoruba religion

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/yor/yor04.htm Minor gods in traditional Yoruba religion

Oluwato
Jan 21, 2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks to all who have posted. Below is a short update:

List so far (in no particular order)

Number Name of oriṣa Sex Brief meaning
1 Ọṣun F River goddess of love, fertility
2 Yemọja F River queen over sea life
3 Ogun M Ruler of iron
4 ṣango M Ruler of thunder
5 Egungun M Bone/masquerade
6 ṣọpọna M Ruler over diseases
7 Ọṣanyin M god of medicine
8 Agẹmọ ?
9 Mọremi F
10 Aje ṣhaluga ? god of wealth
11 Eṣu/ Ẹlẹgbara M He who seizes
12 Oriṣa ibeji Both sexes
13 Babalu Aye M
14 Nana F
15 Ọya F
16 Agayu M
17 Olori-mẹrin M
18 Aganju M
19 Ọba F
20 Aiyelala ?
21 Osumare Rainbow
22 Oluweri ?
23 Oro M Fierceness
24 Oṣoṣi M
25 Orun The sun
26 Oṣu/ Oṣupa The moon
27 Oke The mountain
28 Oyẹ Harmattan
29 Aja F Vine
30 Aroni M Forest god
31 Oriṣa oko god of farm & plantations
32 Dada/Eda/Ida M god of newborn babes and vegetables
33 Ọlarosa M god of houses - protection
34 ṣigidi M Evil nightmare messenger
35 Olosa F Owner of the lagoon
36 Olokun M lord of the sea
37 Ifa M god of divination
38 Odudua F mother of all gods/goddesses
39 Ọlọrun M Sky-god
40 Ọbatala M Chief-god/lord of white cloth
41 Aṣọrin/Apa/Iroko Tree (Mahogany) spirits

Sorry, I couldn't post the data in table format, the alignment is not supported for some reason. perhaps the compu tech people can assist.

Oluwato

PS: I must say that I did not know that Ọlọrun was strictly the sky god. I thought Ọlọrun was the Yoruba name for God, the one who resides in or owns the heavens. I did not know it was an oriṣa. I am learning a lot. I will definitely stop calling God, Ọlọrun, since that is a Yorubaist term. At this point, I would like to confirm that Oluwa is a secular term. If not, I'll have to change that too.

Myne Whitman
Jan 21, 2008, 08:56 AM
Oluwato,

PS: I must say that I did not know that Ọlọrun was strictly the sky god. I thought Ọlọrun was the Yoruba name for God, the one who resides in or owns the heavens. I did not know it was an oriṣa. I am learning a lot. I will definitely stop calling God, Ọlọrun, since that is a Yorubaist term. At this point, I would like to confirm that Oluwa is a secular term. If not, I'll have to change that too.

Hmmm.......I have decided not to say it...

Beam
Jan 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks to all who have posted. Below is a short update:

List so far (in no particular order)

Number Name of oriṣa Sex Brief meaning
3 Ogun M Ruler of iron
6 ṣọpọna M Ruler over diseases
8 Agẹmọ ?
9 Mọremi F
13 Babalu Aye M
14 Nana F
15 Ọya F
16 Agayu M
17 Olori-mẹrin M
18 Aganju M
19 Ọba F
20 Aiyelala ?
21 Osumare Rainbow
22 Oluweri ?
23 Oro M Fierceness
24 Oṣoṣi M
25 Orun The sun
26 Oṣu/ Oṣupa The moon
27 Oke The mountain
28 Oyẹ Harmattan
29 Aja F Vine
30 Aroni M Forest god
31 Oriṣa oko god of farm & plantations
39 Ọlọrun M Sky-god

Sorry, I couldn't post the data in table format, the alignment is not supported for some reason. perhaps the compu tech people can assist.

Oluwato

PS: I
must say that I did not know that Ọlọrun was strictly the sky god. I thought Ọlọrun was the Yoruba name for God, the one who resides in or owns the heavens. I did not know it was an oriṣa. I am learning a lot. I will definitely stop calling God, Ọlọrun, since that is a Yorubaist term. At this point, I would like to confirm that Oluwa is a secular term. If not, I'll have to change that too.

Could these name highlighted be confirmed if these are orisha's or yoruba words for God. Please oluwato could you please find out and let us know since i have always thought Olorun meant " God "

lizmoses
Jan 21, 2008, 03:44 PM

Oluwato,
gently gently with this your quest for knowledge o, I hope it leads you to the right path.
I hope it does not end up confusing those christians trying to find their feet sha

For one, you said oduduwa is female, eventhough every student of history knows that oduduwa was male, a king and the father of the supposed seven founding patriachs of the yorubas.

If you believe that Olorun is god of the sky, then you will believe this:

The Ife oral traditions, on the other hand, tell that Odùduwà was the son of the supreme god Olodumare or Olorun, and was sent by him from heaven to create the earth. (Another version of this myth ascribes these episodes to Obatala, casting Oodua, as a usurper). Descending from the heavens via a chain let down to Ile Ife, Obatala brought with him a cockerale, a pigeon, and a calabash full of dirt. After throwing the soil upon the waters, he set the cockerel and pigeon on the pile of dirt who, in turn, scratched and scattered it around to create the rest of dry land that became the Earth's surface.
that the earth was made by a cockerel and pigeon scattering dirt all around:D

Do you remember that in the book of Acts, Apostle Paul got to Athens and saw the statue with the inscription 'to the unknown god'. He used that same unknown god to make known to them that which they did not know and they were converted.

That the yorubas see Olorun as the sky god may be true afterall God (Olorun is truly the one that owns everything including the sky). That they decide to attribute deities to different things made by God does not change the fact that those things were made by Him.

The problem here is understanding. I have understanding of Olorun as the One who rules the heavens.
As a Yoruba Christian, I worship Olorun Olo (Eledumare),
Alagbada Ina, Alawotele Orun, The One who wears the outer cloth of fire and the sun as His underwear
Apa nla to so ile aiye ro, The Mighty Arm that upholds the earth
Oba ti ngbe inu orun to fi ile aiye se apoti itise re, The King who dwells in heaven and makes the earth His footstool
Oba to da Orun on aiye, The King who created heaven and earth
Oba to da orun, osupa ati awon irawo alainiye, The King who created the sun, the moon and countless stars
Oba to fi osumare pase, The King who decreed with the rainbow
Oba ti nsan ara, The King who thunders
Oba to da awon isan omi nla nla, The King who created the mighty waters
Oba to da awon oke nla ati awon ogbun, The King who made the mountains and the valleys
Oba to da igbo ati odan, The King who made the forest and the swamp
Oba to da ewe, to da egbo The King who made the leaves and the bark
Alamo ti nmo ori eda The moulder who moulds (fashions) the human head
Oba to da eniyan laworan ara re The King who created man in His own image

Well this is the God I serve, no doubt some lack understanding of Him and others indepth understanding. But to him who truly desires to know Him, He reveals Himself.

Cheers

Beam
Jan 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
Oluwato,
gently gently with this your quest for knowledge o,

I hope it leads you to the right path.
I hope it does not end up confusing those christians trying to find their feet sha

For one, you said oduduwa is female, eventhough every student of history knows that oduduwa was male, a king and the father of the supposed seven founding patriachs of the yorubas.

Do you remember that in the book of Acts, Apostle Paul got to Athens and saw the statue with the inscription 'to the unknown god'. He used that same unknown god to make known to them that which they did not know and they were converted.

That the yorubas see Olorun as the sky god may be true afterall God (Olorun is truly the one that owns everything including the sky). That they decide to attribute deities to different things made by God does not change the fact that those things were made by Him.

The problem here is understanding. I have understanding of Olorun as the One who rules the heavens.
Alagbada Ina, Alawotele Orun,
Apa nla to so ile aiye ro,
Oba ti ngbe inu orun to fi ile aiye se apoti itise re,
Oba to da Orun on aiye,
Oba to da orun, osupa ati awon irawo alainiye,
Oba to fi osumare pase,
Oba ti nsan ara,
Oba to da awon isan omi nla nla,
Oba to da awon oke nla ati awon ogbun,
Oba to da igbo ati odan,
Oba to da ewe, to da egbo
Alamo ti nmo ori eda
Oba to da eniyan laworan ara re

Well this is the God I serve, no doubt some lack understanding of Him and others indepth understanding. But to him who truly desires to know Him, He reveals Himself.

Cheers

Liz Moses i am not trying to find my feet regarding the Lord, but i am quite confused now from the yoruba point of view or the folklore is "Olorun" an orisha or not.

Also please we have non speaking and those who cannot read yoruba, can you just

translate what you wrote on top to us please. you normally do :cool:

Liz Moses olorun mean God when one calls Olorun they are refering to the Lord of Lords,King of Kings not one statue please just confirm this .

This thread itself is not really educating us:mad: or am i just being slow today:confused1
oluwato please verify your information and sources, i am willing to learn more about

this but i need facts, that are correct,please our yoruba consultants Olori Anike,

Uncle tisha's Eja,Soul Sista, help verify this Liz moses not to put you alone on the spot regarding this issue :wink:

Oluwato
Jan 22, 2008, 03:23 AM
Could these name highlighted be confirmed if these are orisha's or yoruba words for God. Please oluwato could you please find out and let us know since i have always thought Olorun meant " God "

Hi Beambolla,

Kindly check the links supplied by purple in the 1/20/08 post. I got the information there. thanks. As I explained, I always thought it was a secular name for God as well. However, I have been proven and I stand corrected. I am not sure about Oluwa. That still appears to be secular.

Oluwato

Oluwato
Jan 22, 2008, 03:54 AM
Oluwato,
gently gently with this your quest for knowledge o, I hope it leads you to the right path.

Alagbada Ina, Alawotele Orun,
Apa nla to so ile aiye ro,
Oba ti ngbe inu orun to fi ile aiye se apoti itise re,
Oba to da Orun on aiye,
Oba to da orun, osupa ati awon irawo alainiye,
Oba to fi osumare pase,
Oba ti nsan ara,
Oba to da awon isan omi nla nla,
Oba to da awon oke nla ati awon ogbun,
Oba to da igbo ati odan,
Oba to da ewe, to da egbo
Alamo ti nmo ori eda
Oba to da eniyan laworan ara re

Cheers

Lizmoses,

My beliefs is not the issue in question but your understanding of my statement. You may be unaware but if you check this thread; http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/does-olorun-mean-god-in-english-2.html,
this thread,
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/nvs/a-nigerian-megachurch-in-ukraine.html, and this thread,
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/board/lounge/33721-yoruba-translation-assistance.html,
you'll gain more understanding.

I prefer to keep apples as apples and oranges as oranges. Yorubaists have a right to their faith, religion and names for the god they serve, so do Christians. I do not want to repeat the same mistake that the early missionaries made, trying to yorubanize a Judeo-Christian faith. I would rather transliterate the Hebrew names, than attempt to adopt Yoruba faith/religion names for God.

If you check the links that purple supplied, you'll read of the female god odudua. I think this is different from Oduduwa the father of Yorubas who came from Mecca. If you have other links, kindly supply.

I hope that sheds more light.

Blessings,

Oluwato

Fjord
Jan 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
The fear of knowledge is at the root of all ignorance.

Once an investigation was started to find what was beyond our earth, and there were allegations to the effect of "trying to understand the unknowable". The quest for knowledge could be kept separate from personal beliefs: one of the top Nigerian Arabic expert is also a Chritian and has never at any time been a Muslim; he continues with his trips to the Isalmic holy land every few years; his Christian fate remains uncontaminated, but those who've come to know him at a personal level are enriched by his experiences. Why should there be conflict with a Christain wanting to learn about traditional Yoruba gods or Gods?

More on Olorun: http://mysticcurio.tripod.com/olorun.htm
A brilliant one: http://www.nigerianmuse.com/projects/Christianity/DOES_OLORUN_OLODUMARE_MEAN_GOD_IN_ENGLISH_LANGUAGE

Although, the title of this essay is ‘DOES OLORUN MEAN ‘GOD’ IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE?’, but we can infer four important conclusions. Namely: -

Adherents of Ifa and Christianity do not believe in the same ‘Supreme Being’.
Olorun or Olu-orun is not and does not translate to ‘God’ in English language.
Olorun or Olu-orun is not the name of the ‘Supreme Being’ in Yoruba belief (Ifa). It is a title.
Olodumare is not and does not translate to ‘God’ in English language.

Fjord
Jan 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
And, after checking the last link, take a look at the comment from another contributor:

I agree with you that Olorun means Olu-orun which is a title the yorubas have conferred on Olodumare. However, I disagree with you that Orun is a derivative of Horu. It could have been either way since yoruba religion wasn't born yesterday. There are many things that we say as people of very deep roots that are found in the bible with a different twist.

Olodumare or Olu-odu-mare from my understanding which has nothing to do with scholar research is different. Odu is intelligence so one can say Olu-odu means a Higher Intelligence. Mare (beauty) is from osumare (rainbow). Osumare means shade of beauty. Put these together and we have Olu-odu-osumare. Intelligence behind the making of the rainbow.

Now, if we go to the Bible where it talks about the making of rainbow. Gen 9:13 "I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth", there the Bible clearly states that the rainbow (osumare) is God's sign (sorry, I don't know where the name God came from). From here on, I think the question we should be asking is that which culture or tradition in practice today had influence on or was influenced by the early writters of the Bible.

With the little I know about the Yoruba religion, it is impossible not to believe that a more thorough and more extensive Old Testament could have come out of the religion.

This is some of the beauty of discussion, and knowledge.

UncleTisha
Jan 22, 2008, 12:34 PM
Fjord,

I'm joining this thread (against my better judgement, I must confess!) so i can say a good thank you to you.

I hold my hand up and I say I'm always enriched by your insights into many issues - even if i don't always agree with your viewpoint.

I particularly thank you for the gems below:

The quest for knowledge could be kept separate from personal beliefs

Thanks!

Ishola Taiwo
Jan 22, 2008, 01:34 PM
I thought that "God" (or Gott, to give it is original spelling) was the Anglo-Germanic word for Olorun.

Etymology of the Word "God"
- From Catholic Encyclopedia

(Anglo-Saxon God; German Gott; akin to Persian khoda; Hindu khooda).

God can variously be defined as:

* the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;
* the common or generic name of the several supposed beings to whom, in polytheistic religions, Divine attributes are ascribed and Divine worship rendered;
* the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god.

The root-meaning of the name (from Gothic root gheu; Sanskrit hub or emu, "to invoke or to sacrifice to") is either "the one invoked" or "the one sacrificed to." From different Indo-Germanic roots (div, "to shine" or "give light"; thes in thessasthai "to implore") come the Indo-Iranian deva, Sanskrit dyaus (gen. divas), Latin deus, Greek theos, Irish and Gaelic dia, all of which are generic names; also Greek Zeus (gen. Dios, Latin Jupiter (jovpater), Old Teutonic Tiu or Tiw (surviving in Tuesday), Latin Janus, Diana, and other proper names of pagan deities. The common name most widely used in Semitic occurs as 'el in Hebrew, 'ilu in Babylonian, 'ilah in Arabic, etc.; and though scholars are not agreed on the point, the root-meaning most probably is "the strong or mighty one."

Source (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06608x.htm)

Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.

Nonetheless, it is also interesting to note the similarity to the ancient Persian word for God which is Khoda.

Source (http://wahiduddin.net/words/name_god.htm)

Myne Whitman
Jan 22, 2008, 01:44 PM
I am still not going to say anything.

It was Lizmoses that wrote,

If you believe that Olorun is god of the sky, then you will believe this: that the earth was made by a cockerel and pigeon scattering dirt all around
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">The Ife oral traditions, on the other hand, tell that Odduw was the son of the supreme god Olodumare or Olorun, and was sent by him from heaven to create the earth. (Another version of this myth ascribes these episodes to Obatala, casting Oodua, as a usurper). Descending from the heavens via a chain let down to Ile Ife, Obatala brought with him a cockerale, a pigeon, and a calabash full of dirt. After throwing the soil upon the waters, he set the cockerel and pigeon on the pile of dirt who, in turn, scratched and scattered it around to create the rest of dry land that became the Earth's surface. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Eja,

For me you have hit the nail on the head. Thank you...

I thought that "God" (or Gott, to give it is original spelling) was the Anglo-Germanic word for Olorun.

IZONERE
Jan 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hmm, very interesting. I'm so loving this thread. Soaking up all the information. Please keep it flowing.

lizmoses
Jan 22, 2008, 02:36 PM

Fjord, I agree with you solely as per the above quote. Infact better put the word of God says my people perish for lack of knowledge (knowledge of the truth)

While I am not saying Oluwato should not search for knowledge, it may be important to note that she already drew her conclusions on a few conflicting facts.

Thank you Eja for this:

(Anglo-Saxon God; German Gott; akin to Persian khoda; Hindu khooda).

God can variously be defined as:

* the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;

Oluwato, oduduwa is the same as odudua or odua

DeepThought
Jan 23, 2008, 01:48 AM
the father of Yorubas who came from Mecca.

......ahem, you forgot to add

.......on his magic flying carpet

Sorry Oluwato, I couldn't resist. Just ignore me

:D

Oluwato
Jan 23, 2008, 02:31 AM
Deep Thought,

You had me cracking up. When I was taught the origin of Yorubas in Elementary school and high school, nothing was said about a flying carpet. :D

Oluwato

Oluwato
Jan 23, 2008, 04:03 AM
Purple posted this;

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/yor/yor03.htm

i got the meaning of Olorun from there. If that is wrong, then it is. I would however like to read from a Yorubaist like Iyaalata and Oluiwa. In my own opinion, their opinion is like a tie-breaker vote.

Fjord,

Thanks for this link;

http://mysticcurio.tripod.com/olorun.htm

I got a 42nd orisha from there.

The 42nd orisha is Ọlọfin, one with sovereign rule.

I got this from the link:

"...Olofin (One who has sovereign rule)

It must be said that Olofin was not considered an aspect of the Supreme Being among the Yoruba in Nigeria. He was originally an Orisha who was related to Odua and Obatala. Even now in the New World, Olofin is considered by many to be an extremely elevated road of Obatala.

When the Lukumi in Cuba were reconstructing their ritual system and aligning it with the new environment in which they found themselves, they became aware that their captors viewed God as a trinity. They recognized the Father and the Holy Ghost in Olorun and Olodumare, respectively, but they had not formerly recognized a third aspect of the most high God.

Upon examining Jesus, the other component of the Catholic trinity, they found that he was looked upon as the knowable and reachable face of a force otherwise incomprehensible. They came to associate him with Olofin, who was the highest of the Orishas and therefore the most elevated and closest to God yet still with the realm of human comprehension. The term also referred to kingship by divine right, which they also associated with Jesus.

Within the Lukumi faith, Olofin is therefore the highest knowable aspect of divinity, the most elevated force that humans can attempt to conceptualize. He is humankind's personal God..."

The above is very interesting. This is the first write-up I've seen giving an indication of a "diune or triune godhead in Yorubaism." The writer presents Olorun as different from Olodumare. I was taught that Yorubaism was a monotheist faith of a masculine god worshipped through many feminine/masculine spiritual/physical messengers called orishas. I am really learning new things here. Also, the presentation of variances in the belief/faith/doctrine of Nigerian Yorubaists from Cuba yorubaists is new to me. It would be nice to know if the Lukumi agree with 401 orishas as well, or maybe they have a diffirent number. The write-up even indicated that Olodumare was both masculine/feminine.

Anyway, this thread is mainly to list the 401 orishas, so far, we have 42, that leaves 359 to go.

Lastly, I disagree that the fear of knowledge is the root of all ignorance. I prefer the following quote; The fear of the evil effect of knowledge is the root of all ignorance.

I will add that eternal life is to know God, the true God and Jesus Christ that He (God) sent (John 17:3), and perfect love (1 John 4:8, Romans 5:5) casts out fear (1 John 4:18). Fear is not that powerful, it submits to love.

Oluwato

Lizmoses,

I'll let the Yorubaists confirm if Oduduwa and Odudua is the same and make adjustments based on their confirmation.

Oluwato.

Oluwato
Mar 6, 2009, 06:03 AM
43rd ori<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ṣa - Igunuko
44th ori<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ṣa - Agere
...... one day this list will be complete:lol:.

Fjord
Mar 6, 2009, 07:48 AM
Oluwato: Did you mean Igunnuko? (do-re-re-mi)? (The keyboard with the Yoruba alphabet I'd usually borrow isn't available right away...). The extra "n" makes some difference, I'd think.

One day when someone could be found to do God's work, the list you're making will be provided with all the correct ami-ohun (do-do-re-do).

This link: http://www.ifa-orisa.com/Eng/ifa.htm sould be useful.

You wrote:

I prefer the following quote; The fear of the evil effect of knowledge is the root of all ignorance.

Where's the quote from? By which I mean, the source? Thank you.

Uncle Tisha: I just read your post on this thread. Thank you; may your days be long and fruitful.

UncleTisha
Mar 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
...Uncle Tisha: I just read your post on this thread. Thank you; may your days be long and fruitful.

Amin Eleda.
{Amen, in the name of our Creator}

Auspicious
Mar 6, 2009, 01:57 PM
+

Hi, Folks!

Great Thread.

Good to see that people continue to think outside the box, as opposed to unquestionable/ blind alleigance to pass-me-down doctrines (out of what Villager Fjord identified as the "Fear of Knowledge" that happens to be the "Root of all Ignorance")

Indeed, as some great thinker said, "the mind is like an Umbrealla; it is more useful when open". May we never be afraid to seek knowledge and think outside the box..may we always find the desire and courage to test laid-down boundaries for knowlege.

This is Auspicious.

Oluwato
Mar 7, 2009, 02:56 AM
Oluwato: Did you mean Igunnuko? (do-re-re-mi)? (The keyboard with the Yoruba alphabet I'd usually borrow isn't available right away...). The extra "n" makes some difference, I'd think.

One day when someone could be found to do God's work, the list you're making will be provided with all the correct ami-ohun (do-do-re-do).

This link: http://www.ifa-orisa.com/Eng/ifa.htm sould be useful.

Where's the quote from? By which I mean, the source? Thank you.

The quote is mine, I said that. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Oluwato
Mar 16, 2009, 06:04 AM
Updated List:

3 Ogun M Ruler of iron
6 ṣọpọna/ Ọbaluaye/ Ọmọlubabaluaye M Ruler over diseases
8 Agẹmọ ?
9 Mọremi F
13 Babalu Aye M
14 Nana F
15 Ọya F
16 Agayu M
17 Olori-mẹrin M
18 Aganju M
19 Ọba F
20 Aiyelala ?
21 Osumare Rainbow
22 Oluweri ?
23 Oro M Fierceness
24 Oṣoṣi M
25 Orun The sun
26 Oṣu/ Oṣupa The moon
27 Oke The mountain
28 Oyẹ Harmattan
29 Aja F Vine
30 Aroni M Forest god
31 Oriṣa oko/Erinle F god of farm & plantations
39 Ọlọrun M Sky-god
42 Ọlọfin/ Oduduwa M
43 Igunuko/Igunnuko M
44 Agere M
45 Oriṣa Idile M/F ?
46 Orunmila M father of all Oriṣas
47 Iyaami F
48 Ela
49 Olugunede M
50 Ewa F
51 Ọba F
52 Jakuta M
53 Ọbalufọn M
54 Osalufọn M
55 Ọbata
56 Abiye--- the divinities and God of children and pregnancy.
57 Nana Buruku F
58 Yemowo F
59 Obanta M
60 Tami M
61 Oloko M
62 Sungbo F
63 Lamurudu F
64 Aasa F
65 Orosun
66 Aiku
67 Abiku
68 Olu-Iwa M
69 Ajebu
70 Olode
71 Ẹyọ
72 Onile
<o></o>

Count1
Apr 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
Updated List:

3 Ogun M Ruler of iron
8 Agẹmọ ?
9 Mọremi F
13 Babalu Aye M
14 Nana F
15 Ọya F
16 Agayu M
17 Olori-mẹrin M
18 Aganju M
19 Ọba F
20 Aiyelala ?
21 Osumare Rainbow
22 Oluweri ?
23 Oro M Fierceness
24 Oṣoṣi M
25 Orun The sun
26 Oṣu/ Oṣupa The moon
27 Oke The mountain
28 Oyẹ Harmattan
29 Aja F Vine
30 Aroni M Forest god
39 Ọlọrun M Sky-god
42 Ọlọfin/ Oduduwa M
43 Igunuko/Igunnuko M
44 Agere M
45 Oriṣa Idile M/F ?
47 Iyaami F
48 Ela
49 Olugunede M
50 Ewa F
51 Ọba F
52 Jakuta M
53 Ọbalufọn M
54 Osalufọn M
55 Ọbata
57 Nana Buruku F
58 Yemowo F
59 Obanta M
60 Tami M
61 Oloko M
62 Sungbo F
63 Lamurudu F
64 Aasa F
65 Orosun
66 Aiku
67 Abiku
68 Olu-Iwa M
69 Ajebu
70 Olode
71 Ẹyọ
72 Onile
<o></o>

Oluwato

How far? Found some more or do you have them all already? Some people say they are 601 and call them Imole

1.Obatala
2. Ogun
3. Ori
4. Orunmila
5. Oranfe/Sango
6. Oya
7. Osun
8. Yemoja
9. Oba.
10. Olokun
11. Olosa
12. Osoosi
13. Orisa Oko/Ajoriwin
14. Bayananni
15. Aje (Wealth)
16. Odu
17. Edun/Ibeji
18. Edan/Ogboni
19. Iyami
20. Oro
21.Egbe
22. Esu.
23. Asewele
24. Yemoo
25. Oke
26. Erinle
27. Egungun
i. Gelede
ii. Eyo
iii. Igunnuko
28. Obaluaye
29. Aganju
30. Ina (Fire)
31. Oorun (Sun)
32. Osupa (Moon)
33. Iya
34. Baba
35. Osun/Morere (Opa Osun staff)
36. Bukuu
37. Ayan
38. Osanyin
39. Kori
40. Oja
41. Oduduwa
42. Orun (Heaven)
43. Ile (Mother Earth)
44. Ela
45. Obalufon
46. Iko
47. Ona
48. Ija
49. Ile (House)
50. Oluugbo
51. Oluodan
52. Aaja
53. Ese (leg)
54. Akitan
55. Ebu
56. Ojuto
57. Ogan/Mole Iju
58. Ebi (Hunger)

601. Adatan

Count 1

Auspicious
Apr 13, 2009, 03:20 AM
+

LOL! @ The Count..

You kidding, right? :wink:

Talk true, you are..:D

(Who be Yemoo?)

AuspY.

Oluwato
Apr 20, 2009, 05:34 AM
Oluwato

How far? Found some more or do you have them all already? Some people say they are 601 and call them Imole

1.Obatala
2. Ogun
3. Ori
4. Orunmila
5. Oranfe/Sango
6. Oya
7. Osun
8. Yemoja
9. Oba.
10. Olokun
11. Olosa
12. Osoosi
13. Orisa Oko/Ajoriwin
14. Bayananni
15. Aje (Wealth)
16. Odu
17. Edun/Ibeji
18. Edan/Ogboni
19. Iyami
20. Oro
21.Egbe
22. Esu.
23. Asewele
24. Yemoo
25. Oke
26. Erinle
27. Egungun
i. Gelede
ii. Eyo
iii. Igunnuko
28. Obaluaye
29. Aganju
30. Ina (Fire)
31. Oorun (Sun)
32. Osupa (Moon)
33. Iya
34. Baba
36. Bukuu
37. Ayan
38. Osanyin
39. Kori
40. Oja
41. Oduduwa
42. Orun (Heaven)
43. Ile (Mother Earth)
44. Ela
45. Obalufon
46. Iko
47. Ona
48. Ija
49. Ile (House)
50. Oluugbo
51. Oluodan
52. Aaja
53. Ese (leg)
54. Akitan
55. Ebu
56. Ojuto
57. Ogan/Mole Iju
58. Ebi (Hunger)

601. Adatan

Count 1
:source Please place the link to the 601 number. Thanks!

Changocito
May 12, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yewa, Oggue, Oggan, Kobo, Aina, Ideu, Otin, Korinkoto, Olona, Olofi, Borumu, Boronsia, Inle, Abata, Logun Ede, Ode, Ayao, Fride, Iroko, Irawo, Onirawo, Oke, Orisanla, Orisa Aye, Ibu Aje, Babaluaye, Nanu, Nana Buruku, Oroina, Kainde, Taewo, Talabi, Salako, Afra, Dada, Ibayani, Abita, Ananagu, Ogbon, Ogboni, Elusu, Agana Eri, Egbe, Esi, Oranmiyan, Osupa, Orun, Agba Lode, Maselobi, Yomi-Yomi (2 aguas, 2 waters)

I know I have more just have to remember their names. Hope that helps for now.

Oluwato
May 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
Yewa, Oggue, Oggan, Kobo, Aina, Ideu, Otin, Korinkoto, Olona, Olofi, Borumu, Boronsia, Inle, Abata, Logun Ede, Ode, Ayao, Fride, Iroko, Irawo, Onirawo, Oke, Orisanla, Orisa Aye, Ibu Aje, Babaluaye, Nanu, Nana Buruku, Oroina, Kainde, Taewo, Talabi, Salako, Afra, Dada, Ibayani, Abita, Ananagu, Ogbon, Ogboni, Elusu, Agana Eri, Egbe, Esi, Oranmiyan, Osupa, Orun, Agba Lode, Maselobi, Yomi-Yomi (2 aguas, 2 waters)

Do you have the meanings? In other words what do the orishas stand for (do)... god of what...? Thanks!

Changocito
May 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yewa female deity of the Cemetery
Oggue male deity socerrer for Chango
Oggan male deity warrior for obatala
Kobo male/female deity a.k.a Aje Shaluga wealth for the market or plaza
Aina female deity of fire her name literally means fire also related to Chango. Ideu Male deity considered to be born after the Ibeyis. Son of Oshun. Domain is wealth like his mother and also the keeper of life and death.
Otin male deity son of Yemaya and Oggun considered to be as close to his mother like Ideu is to Oshun.
Korinkoto male deity brother of Orisa Oko related to Eggun and the astros. Olona female deity daughter of Olokun realted to Lagoons and/or Lakes.
Olofi Male/Female Sopreme Being.
Borumu
Boronsia
Inle male deity
Abata female deity
Logun Ede male deity son of Oshun and Inle considered to be the most beautiful of all the orisas.
Ode male deity brother of Ososi
Ayao female deity sister of Oya. Related also to Osain. She is considered to be a fierce with.
Fride deity of music like the kind you have to wind.
Iroko deity of witchery everything began through this deity it is the Ceiba a.k.a silk cotton tree. His partner is Agboman and his sister is Ondo,
Irawo deity of the astros.
Onirawo diety of the comets.
Oke male deity of the hills. Related to Obatala.
Orisanla female deity of pureness. Female aspect of Obatala.
Orisa Aye female deity also realted to Obatala. It is beleived that she is the only Obatala female born of the sea. Also related to weath hence the name aye.
Ibu Aje female deity could be mother or an aspect of Oshun as a child. Also realted to Oshuns wealth.
Babaluaye
Nanu female deity could be Babaluaye's sister or partner.
Nana Buruku female deity resembled as a snake. She is considered to be one of the oldest Orisa. She is also Babaluaye's mother.
Oroina female deity. Agayu's mother. She is the noise you hear when a Volcano errupts spewing magma (Agayu).
Kainde (Ibeyis) depending which one you consider to be the boy and the other a girl. One represents Love and the other Life.
Taewo (Ibeyis)
Talabi (see above comment)
Salako
Afra
Dada
Ibayani
Abita
Ananagu female deity she is the Pandora or the Orishas related to Ofun.
Ogbon
Ogboni
Elusu
Agana Eri female deity Olokun's favorite daughter. She can be found in Olokun's tools as the female iron piece holding Somu Gaga and Akuaro.
Somu Gaga
Akuaro
Egbe
Esi
Oranmiyan
Osupa female deity of the moon.
Orun male deity of the Sun.
Agba Lode male deity of the infinite space.
Maselobi female deity considered to be the one who birthed Chango like the one of the prayers suggests.
Yomi-Yomi (2 aguas, 2 waters) not really a deity more like a charm that contains the essence of Yemaya and Oshun for those who have in Ita the oduns Oche tonti Oddi or Oddi tonti Oche. It used to balance the initiates life.

I'll submit the rest of the info when I have a chance. Too much typing but you have a few there. ;)

Oluwato
May 14, 2009, 02:57 AM
I'll submit the rest of the info when I have a chance. Too much typing but you have a few there. ;)

Thanks. I look forward to receiving them soon.

Aina female deity of fire her name literally means fire also related to Chango. Ideu Male deity considered to be born after the Ibeyis

It's interesting to see Aina and Idowu up there. I was taught that those were just orikis... hmmm!

Juno
May 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
It's interesting to see Aina and Idowu up there. I was taught that those were just orikis... hmmm!

Surprised to see them classified as deities too...but they are not even 'orikis'. They are pre-destined/natural birth names (oruko amutorunwa), derived from circumstances surrounding the child's birth.

purple
May 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
It is important to ask Changocito for his sources. Looks to me like he is of the Yoruba Brazillian cohort. I respectfully suggest that some of that population's sources re Yoruba religion/history/culture may have become mixed up over time.

Aina definetely is not an orisha, neither is Alaba. Like Juno pointed out those are oruko amutorunwa.

Thanks. I look forward to receiving them soon.

Oluwato
May 15, 2009, 04:51 AM
Yes Aina, Idowu and Alaba are oruk<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ọ amut<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ọrun wa (names brought from heaven), however, they are also orikis, or rather, they have orikis. Now, they may be orisas, this is because Taye & Kehinde supposedly have an Ibeji ori<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ṣa, if that is the case, perhaps Idowu & Alaba have ori<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->ṣas as well, afterall, if I remember the legend/myth, Alaba was supposed to have sent all the others to come first, or something like that.

Anyway, let the Yorubaists clarify. I am looking forward to the 401 list. When that is complete, it will be a nice resource.

Big-K
May 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Brilliant thread. Oluwato, as you update your list, can you possibly state what each of the orishas represent?

I'm learning a lot here

It is important to ask Changocito for his sources. Looks to me like he is of the Yoruba Brazillian cohort. I respectfully suggest that some of that population's sources re Yoruba religion/history/culture may have become mixed up over time.

Aina definetely is not an orisha, neither is Alaba. Like Juno pointed out those are oruko amutorunwa.

Purple
Indeed, some of the diasporean knowledge of yoruba culture may be tainted, but so it is back home. It was a Cuban who first took me to school on some aspects of yoruba, that many back home just ignorantly dismiss as devilish.

Pooky
May 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
Big K,

I feel you. It is the African diaporans who is keeping the religion alive. It is passed down from generation to generation. As in any migration, particular forced migration, only a hand full of the Orishas survived. In addition, the religion had to change and adapt to a new and foreign, and often hostile environment. You know I have been among Yoruba folks and if you mention their traditional religion, they act a fool, calling it devil worship. Even the few who aren’t totally against it could not give me basic information.

I understand when you mentioned vodun/voodoo to AAs and they act a fool too. They are almost three hundred years removed. I also so know that many shoutin’ Christians practice magic on the low. There was no conflict in her mind. My own dear mama is one of them. I remember her complaining to us as children that she thinks someone one done hoodooed her and she would go to the hoodoo man and get anti hex. I try to explain this is a part of our history. We can’t pretend that is not. However, it is most disturbing when it comes from continental Africans.

I am very careful who I talk to about this subject. I absolutely avoid all crazy, fanatical Christians, especially the creepy born agains.

*Note: Have any of yall ever been ridden by a witch? This is what it is called in AA society. Some may know it as sleep paralysis, but the old folks called it witch riding.

Juno
May 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Updated List:

3 Ogun M Ruler of iron
8 Agẹmọ ?
9 Mọremi F
13 Babalu Aye M
14 Nana F
15 Ọya F
16 Agayu M
17 Olori-mẹrin M
18 Aganju M - Deity of the desert and volcano
19 Ọba F
20 Aiyelala ?
21 Osumare Rainbow
22 Oluweri ?
23 Oro M Fierceness
24 Oṣoṣi M
25 Orun The sun
26 Oṣu/ Oṣupa The moon
27 Oke The mountain
28 Oyẹ Harmattan
29 Aja F Vine
30 Aroni M Forest god
39 Ọlọrun M Sky-god
42 Ọlọfin/ Oduduwa M
43 Igunuko/Igunnuko M
44 Agere M
45 Oriṣa Idile M/F ?
47 Iyaami F
48 Ela
49 Olugunede M
50 Ewa F
51 Ọba F - Deity of matrimony
52 Jakuta M - A thunder deity
53 Ọbalufọn M
54 Osalufọn M
55 Ọbata
57 Nana Buruku F
58 Yemowo F
59 Obanta M
60 Tami M
61 Oloko M
62 Sungbo F
63 Lamurudu F
64 Aasa F
65 Orosun
66 Aiku
67 Abiku
68 Olu-Iwa M
69 Ajebu
70 Olode
71 Ẹyọ
72 Onile
<o></o>

Oluwato, good job up there. The highlighted are some of the deities with their functions.

Below is a list of additional orishas (I think more can be found on the link provided):

1. Yewa (F) Deity of the cemetery

2. Oshosi (M) Deity of the hunt

3. Oranife (M) A thunder deity in Ile-Ife

4. Abatan (F) Deity of the marshlands

5. Oge (F) Deity of direction

http://ilarioba.tripod.com/articlesmine/Pantheon.htm

Oluwato
May 17, 2009, 06:10 AM
Big K,

I feel you. It is the African diaporans who is keeping the religion alive. It is passed down from generation to generation. As in any migration, particular forced migration, only a hand full of the Orishas survived. In addition, the religion had to change and adapt to a new and foreign, and often hostile environment. You know I have been among Yoruba folks and if you mention their traditional religion, they act a fool, calling it devil worship. Even the few who aren't totally against it could not give me basic information.

I understand when you mentioned vodun/voodoo to AAs and they act a fool too. They are almost three hundred years removed. I also so know that many shoutin' Christians practice magic on the low. There was no conflict in her mind. My own dear mama is one of them. I remember her complaining to us as children that she thinks someone one done hoodooed her and she would go to the hoodoo man and get anti hex. I try to explain this is a part of our history. We can't pretend that is not. However, it is most disturbing when it comes from continental Africans.

I am very careful who I talk to about this subject. I absolutely avoid all crazy, fanatical Christians, especially the creepy born agains.

*Note: Have any of yall ever been ridden by a witch? This is what it is called in AA society. Some may know it as sleep paralysis, but the old folks called it witch riding.

Pooky,

As a born again Christian, I consider the highlighted offensive. I would appreciate it if you could refer to Christians without offensive labels. Thank you!

By the way, this thread is just a resource, it does not mean that I believe in Yorubaism or desire to believe in it. This is purely educational. I believe I should make that clear.

That said, many non-Yorubaland practicing Yorubaists are devoted to their religion. This is a recent ritual I stumbled across, very interesting.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzW9QeXh8c&feature=player_embedded
YouTube - Ancestral remembrance

Count1
May 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
+

LOL! @ The Count..

You kidding, right? :wink:

Talk true, you are..:D

(Who be Yemoo?)

AuspY.

Ah Auspy!

You self know Yemoo, the senior brother of Femoo? the one that went to school with Walexy and Sholay?

You know I'm serious. This reply is coming so late because I've just come thru a laptop crises. Worm +Activation+Crash+.

Not to water down this thread, You must have confirmed by now that there is a Yemoo orisha.:D

Count 1

Count1
May 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
:source Please place the link to the 601 number. Thanks!

Oluwato,

I'm sorry for the late reply. Also regret being unable to provide the link now because IE seems to be having some conflicts on this laptop and I can't retrieve my Bookmarks.

I googled 601 Yoruba Deities and got this. It might be of interest to you. Knowledge is power!

groups.yahoo.com/phrase/obatala

Count 1

Vade Mecum
May 18, 2009, 04:10 PM
Exodus 20
The Ten Commandments
(Deuteronomy 5.1-21)
1God said to the people of Israel:
2I am the LORD your God, the one who brought you out of Egypt where you were slaves.

3Do not worship any god except me.

4Do not make idols that look like anything in the sky or on earth or in the ocean under the earth. 5Don't bow down and worship idols. I am the LORD your God, and I demand all your love. If you reject me, I will punish your families for three or four generations. 6But if you love me and obey my laws, I will be kind to your families for thousands of generations.

7Do not misuse my name. [a] I am the LORD your God, and I will punish anyone who misuses my name.

Genesis 2: 16-17

16But the LORD told him, "You may eat fruit from any tree in the garden, 17except the one that has the power to let you know the difference between right and wrong. If you eat any fruit from that tree, you will die before the day is over!"

Genesis 3: 9-19

The Trouble with Sin
9The LORD called out to the man and asked, "Where are you?"
10The man answered, "I was naked, and when I heard you walking through the garden, I was frightened and hid!"

11"How did you know you were naked?" God asked. "Did you eat any fruit from that tree in the middle of the garden?"

12"It was the woman you put here with me," the man said. "She gave me some of the fruit, and I ate it."

13The LORD God then asked the woman, "What have you done?"

"The snake tricked me," she answered. "And I ate some of that fruit."

14So the LORD God said to the snake:

"Because of what you have done,

you will be the only animal

to suffer this curse--

For as long as you live,

you will crawl on your stomach

and eat dirt.

15You and this woman

will hate each other;

your descendants and hers

will always be enemies.

One of hers will strike you

on the head,

and you will strike him

on the heel."

16Then the LORD said to the woman,

"You will suffer terribly

when you give birth.

But you will still desire

your husband,

and he will rule over you."

17The LORD said to the man,

"You listened to your wife

and ate fruit from that tree.

And so, the ground

will be under a curse

because of what you did.

As long as you live,

you will have to struggle

to grow enough food.

18Your food will be plants,

but the ground

will produce

thorns and thistles.

19You will have to sweat

to earn a living;

you were made out of soil,

and you will once again

turn into soil."

Exodus 32: 1-11

1After the people saw that Moses had been on the mountain for a long time, they went to Aaron and said, " Make us an image of a god who will lead and protect us. Moses brought us out of Egypt, but nobody knows what has happened to him."
2Aaron told them, " Bring me the gold earrings that your wives and sons and daughters are wearing." 3Everybody took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron, 4then he melted them and made an idol in the shape of a young bull.

All the people said to one another, " This is the god who brought us out of Egypt!"

5When Aaron saw what was happening, he built an altar in front of the idol and said, " Tomorrow we will celebrate in honor of the LORD." 6The people got up early the next morning and killed some animals to be used for sacrifices and others to be eaten. Then everyone ate and drank so much that they began to carry on like wild people.

7The LORD said to Moses:

Hurry back down! Those people you led out of Egypt are acting like fools. 8They have already stopped obeying me and have made themselves an idol in the shape of a young bull. They have bowed down to it, offered sacrifices, and said that it is the god who brought them out of Egypt. 9Moses, I have seen how stubborn these people are, 10and I'm angry enough to destroy them, so don't try to stop me. But I will make your descendants into a great nation.

11Moses tried to get the LORD God to change his mind:

Mark 9:42 (Contemporary English Version)

Temptations To Sin
(Matthew 18.6-9; Luke 17.1,2)

42It will be terrible for people who cause even one of my little followers to sin. Those people would be better off thrown into the ocean with a heavy stone tied around their necks.

What did Jesus mean by putting a millstone around the neck and tossing into the sea those who harm children?

He was referring to innocent young babes in Christ who are easily mislead by every wind of change or doctrine which is propounded by wolves in sheeps clothing. This is a spiritual warning. There are many other Scriptures that speak of how to treat people, including children. Not to say that someone that harms "little ones" in the flesh won't be punished. But the spiritual is far more important.

Do not become too preoccupied with analysing demons and the tricks of Satan. Which the occult people do to their utmost, to catalogue demons, their name, colour, smell, origin, taste, etc. When people come to faith in Jesus, they refrain from this.

Jesus has conquered the demons, and we do not need to study their activities to gain control over them.

Lift up Jesus and him crucified. All spiritual gifts are to be used to lift up the cross

Colossians 2:13-15 (Contemporary English Version)

13You were dead, because you were sinful and were not God's people. But God let Christ make you [a] alive, when he forgave all our sins.

14God wiped out the charges that were against us for disobeying the Law of Moses. He took them away and nailed them to the cross.

15There Christ defeated all powers and forces. He let the whole world see them being led away as prisoners when he celebrated his victory.

Hebrews 2:14-15 (Contemporary English Version)

14We are people of flesh and blood. That is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death. 15But he also died to rescue all of us who live each day in fear of dying.

Revelation 12:7-11 (Contemporary English Version)

Michael Fights the Dragon

7A war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels were fighting against the dragon and its angels. 8But the dragon lost the battle. It and its angels were forced out of their places in heaven 9and were thrown down to the earth. Yes, that old snake and his angels were thrown out of heaven! That snake, who fools everyone on earth, is known as the devil and Satan. 10Then I heard a voice from heaven shout,
"Our God has shown

his saving power,

and his kingdom has come!

God's own Chosen One

has shown his authority.

Satan accused our people

in the presence of God

day and night.

Now he has been thrown out!

11Our people defeated Satan

because of the blood [a] of the Lamb

and the message of God.

They were willing

to give up their lives.

Romans 5:19 (Contemporary English Version)

19Adam disobeyed God and caused many others to be sinners. But Jesus obeyed him and will make many people acceptable to God.

Oluwato
May 19, 2009, 03:56 AM
Oluwato,

I'm sorry for the late reply. Also regret being unable to provide the link now because IE seems to be having some conflicts on this laptop and I can't retrieve my Bookmarks.

I googled 601 Yoruba Deities and got this. It might be of interest to you. Knowledge is power!

groups.yahoo.com/phrase/obatala

Count 1

I prefer to wait till you find the link thank you.

commoner
May 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
The only thing that may be certain about these 401 gods is that they were not named at the same time or even during the same generation. Some of their names do not even appear to be of Yoruba origin, a name like Tami, reminds me of a South South name, Taminomie.

I say Yoruba youths, including some villagers have become completely irresponsible by not updating the list of 401 gods with new ones.

There should be at least 501 gods as of now including but not limited to the following:

(1)obasanjo
(2)babangida
(3)abasha
(4)soludo
(5)atiku
(6)omo pupa
(7)omo dudu
(8)Gofernor
(9)olori councilu
(10)ole nte l'afa

ati be be lo.

With the appropriate pronounciation, all the names will sound like Yoruba names. Mtweeeeuu.

Oluwato
Jul 6, 2009, 03:53 AM
A new orisha is <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->Ọsi, orisha of each household... this is in the Ijebu dialect, it may be orisa ile in other areas.

SNB
Jul 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
I am an ijebu woman and we don't have no orisha Ọsi or whatever you call it in my own household or pertaining to my dialect. There are many ijebus, please be specific about the ijebu you know for sure has this orisha. You accuse someone of lumping all Christians together, yet you summed up Ọsi orisha for the ijebu dialect.

I am 100% ijebu, born, bred and speaking woman........and also a Christian..a practicing one and we don't have orishas in my own household.

Oluwato
Jul 6, 2009, 06:19 PM
I am an ijebu woman and we don't have no orisha Ọsi or whatever you call it in my own household or pertaining to my dialect. There are many ijebus, please be specific about the ijebu you know for sure has this orisha. You accuse someone of lumping all Christians together, yet you summed up Ọsi orisha for the ijebu dialect.

I am 100% ijebu, born, bred and speaking woman........and also a Christian..a practicing one and we don't have orishas in my own household.

Good for you! Now on to the list - Ọsi remains as one of the Yorubaism orisas! I will only edit this list based on a Yorubaist's participation. All others should deal with it!

Vade Mecum
Jul 6, 2009, 06:41 PM
Dear Oluwato,

Calvary greetings in the name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. I am forced to ask you this question, because, I have already hinted you about it, on the -14 Sex Questions Answered, thread; which you also started. http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/woman-woman/32413-14-sex-questions-answered-3.html

WHY ARE YOU, AN OPENLY SELF-PROFESSED BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN, SO OBSSESSED WITH ORISHAS ?

If you are seeking knowledge. Please read the post reproduced below:

In the Book of Genesis, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (and occasionally translated as the Tree of Conscience, Hebrew: עֵץ הַדַּעַת טוֹב וָרָע, Etz haDaat tov V'ra) was a tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9) from which God directly forbade Adam (Eve having not yet been created) to eat (Genesis 2:17). A serpent later tempted Eve, who was aware of the prohibition, to eat the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge (Genesis 3:1-6). Adam also ate, and they became aware of their nakedness (Genesis 3:6-7). After this, in order to deny them access to the Tree of Life (and, hence, immortality), they were banished from the garden and forced to survive through agriculture "by the sweat of [their] brow" (Genesis 3:19-24).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Knowledge_of_Good_and_Evil

DANGEROUS CONSEQUENCES THEREOF

Matthew 18:6-9 (Contemporary English Version)

Temptations To Sin
(Mark 9.42-48; Luke 17.1,2)

6It will be terrible for people who cause even one of my little followers to sin. Those people would be better off thrown into the deepest part of the ocean with a heavy stone tied around their necks! 7The world is in for trouble because of the way it causes people to sin. There will always be something to cause people to sin, but anyone who does this will be in for trouble.
8If your hand or foot causes you to sin, chop it off and throw it away! You would be better off to go into life crippled or lame than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into the fire that never goes out. 9If your eye causes you to sin, poke it out and get rid of it. You would be better off to go into life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fires of hell.

What did Jesus mean by putting a millstone around the neck and tossing into the sea those who harm children?

He was referring to innocent young babes in Christ who are easily mislead by every wind of change or doctrine which is propounded by wolves in sheep clothing. This is a spiritual warning. There are many other Scriptures that speak of how to treat people, including children. Not to say that someone that harms "little ones" in the flesh won't be punished. But the spiritual is far more important.

Do not become too preoccupied with analyzing demons and the tricks of Satan. Which the occult people do to their utmost, to catalogue demons, their name, color, smell, origin, taste, etc. When people come to faith in Jesus, they refrain from this.

Jesus has conquered the demons, and we do not need to study their activities to gain control over them.

Lift up Jesus and him crucified. All spiritual gifts are to be used to lift up the cross

Please accept my post, as a word of caution given with christian love, and coming from a christian brother to a christian sister. If you hadn't openly declared your stand for Jesus Christ in this cyber-village; I would probably not be worried about your direction in these spiritual issues.

Oluwato, I love you with the love of Jesus Christ

Cheers and God bless

Oluwato
Jul 6, 2009, 06:58 PM
Dear Oluwato,

Calvary greetings in the name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. I am forced to ask you this question, because, I have already hinted you about it, on the -14 Sex Questions Answered, thread; which you also started. http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/woman-woman/32413-14-sex-questions-answered-3.html

WHY ARE YOU, AN OPENLY SELF-PROFESSED BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN, SO OBSSESSED WITH ORISHAS

First of all, I'm surprised you are forced. Secondly, I am NOT OBSESSED with orishas. Thirdly, read the first post on this thread, that explains my reason for starting it.

If you are seeking knowledge. Please read the post reproduced below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Knowledge_of_Good_and_Evil

DANGEROUS CONSEQUENCES THEREOF

He was referring to innocent young babes in Christ who are easily mislead by every wind of change or doctrine which is propounded by wolves in sheep clothing. This is a spiritual warning. There are many other Scriptures that speak of how to treat people, including children. Not to say that someone that harms "little ones" in the flesh won't be punished. But the spiritual is far more important.

Your paragraph above has no bearing with this thread, also your May 18, 2009 post. This is a secular board, I suggest you look into the meaning and implications of that. We are both Ministers of the gospel of Jesus Christ, however we do not always agree and we don't have to. Shalom!

SNB
Jul 6, 2009, 07:06 PM
Good for you! Now on to the list - Ọsi remains as one of the Yorubaism orisas! I will only edit this list based on a Yorubaist's participation. All others should deal with it!

This your comment "Alll others should deal with it!" sounds like you have a stick to flog folks with.
Sometimes I wonder what kind of a person you are based on some of your responses all over this board. Yorubaism orishas or not, don't just post rubbish and expect others not to question you. You stated that this Osi orisha you are so familiar with is one of households in ijebu, not so? Name them!

Madam, be specific. Which ijebu people have blatantly declared to you that thy have this orisha.
If you can't be specific, then stop posting stuff meant for the dumpster.

I don't know what you're trying to even prove with this orisa thread. God will continue to be God and doesn't and will never need anyone to ever defend Him. He's God all by Himself.

If you use this same attitude to evangelize, believe me, you won't win many souls. Kai, God help you!

No wahala, just stating the obvious.

Shalom!

Auspicious
Jul 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
First of all, I'm surprised you are forced.

Taaah!

Arch! Who cares if she is surprised?

Secondly, I am NOT OBSESSED with orishas.

Yeah right LIKE HELL SHE'S NOT!

Thirdly

Somebody tell her there ain't nuthin like "thirdly"! :p

Shalom!

Shallom back at her - especially when delivered with such venom!

So much for christian meekness and humility!

Auspicious.

Fjord
Apr 4, 2010, 05:28 PM
Er, so what happened to this thread.

It would appear that when the 400+1 rṣ have been listed, the work would remain: finding another 200+1.

And then, figuring what the "+1" actually means.

Could all rṣ really be counted?

A knowledge of Yorb cosmology should've informed us that this was a never-ending road ...

Oluwato
May 30, 2013, 02:27 AM
Interesting research by an African American Minister on Yoruba religion based on Iyanla's show

http://youtu.be/ITm1llI6VOs

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ITm1llI6VOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oluwato
Jun 24, 2013, 01:20 AM
This thread inspired some Yorubaists to create their own list - See it here:

http://www.abibitumikasa.com/forums/afrikan-spiritual-systems/55468-comprehensive-list-all-401-orishas-ako-jo-po-oru-ko-wo-n-o-ri-s-o-kanle-ni-rinwo.html

Ọ̀ṣun F River goddess of love, fertility
Yemọja F Ògùn River motherhood
Ògún M Ruler of iron
Ṣàngó M Ruler of thunder
Egúngún
Ṣọ̀pọ̀nná/ Ọbalúayé/ Ọmọlúbabalúaye M Ruler over diseases
Ọ̀ṣanyìn M god of medicine
Agẹmọ (chameleon messenger of Ọlọ́run)
Mọ́remí F
Ajé Sàlúgà F wealth
Èṣù/Alágbára/Ẹlẹ́gbára M
Òrìṣà ìbejì Both sexes
Nana Burukúù F
Ọya F
Aginjù M
Olórí-mẹ́rin M
Aganjú M
Ọbà F
Ayélàlà F
Òṣùmàrè Rainbow
Oluweri
Orò/Olúa/Àtogùn/Ẹ̀rẹ̀jù M Fierceness
Ọ̀ṣọ́ọ̀sì M
Oòrùn The sun
Oṣù/ Oṣùpá The moon
Òkè The mountain
Ọyẹ́ Harmattan
Àjarà F
Àrọ̀nì M Forest
Egbére
Iwin
Ẹbọra
Ajaka-oko
Òrìṣà oko/Ògúnjẹ́miní farm & plantations
Erinlẹ̀
Dàda/Èda/Ìda M newborn babes and vegetables
Ọlarosa M houses - protection
Ṣìgìdì M Evil nightmare messenger
Ọlọ́sà
Olókun M lord of the ocean
Ifá M divination
Odùduà F
Odùduwà/Odùduà/Oòduà M
Ọ̀rànmíyàn
Ọlọ́run M sky
Ọbàtálá/Òrìṣà-ńlá/Òòṣàálá/Ọbàlufọn M lord of white cloth
Aṣọrin/Apa/Ìrókò Tree (Mahogany) spirits
Ọlọ́fin
Igunuko/Igunnuko M
Agere M
Òrìṣà Ìdílé M/F ?
Ọ̀rúnmìlà/Àgbọnnìrègún M
Ìyààmí F
Ẹ̀là
Olugunede M
Ẹwà F
Jàkúta M
Osalufọn M
Ọbata
Àbíyè children and pregnancy.
Yemòwó F
Obanta M
Tami M
Olóko M
Sungbo F
Lamurudu F
Aasa F
Orosun
Àìkú
Àbíkú
Olú-Ìwà M
Ajebu
Olóde
Ẹyọ
Onílé
Ṣẹ̀ẹ́rẹ́
Èrèlé
Ẹrẹ̀nà
Ìgbé
Ẹ̀bìbì
Òkúdu
Ọ̀wẹwẹ
Ọ̀wàrà
Bélú
Ọ̀̀pẹ́
Ẹ̀bìtà
Ẹ̀lúkú
Ọ̀rùngan M Child of Yemọja
Òsùn (staff)
Olúorogbo
Òrìṣà Gulutu
Òru messenger of Ṣàngó
Tabùtú F Mother of Ògún
Orórínnà M Father of Ògún
Kórìkótó/Kóórì
Orí
Àbàtà
Òrìṣà-bí
Olókun-su/Elusu
Olókin
Ọ̀ràngún
Gẹ̀lẹ̀dẹ́
Ẹ̀fẹ̀
Yemojí
Ikú
Odù
Àgan
Ẹ̀sìnmìnrìn
Ẹsẹ̀
Okó
Òbò
Ẹnu
Ikùn
Bayànnì
Ipọri

401. Ọ̀ọ̀ni

They only have 116 though. Hopefully, this list will be complete soon.

Oluwato
Jun 24, 2013, 01:37 AM
Here's another list (only 43) http://fakayodefayemifatunde.wetpaint.com/thread/1848473/401+Irunmole%29.

1.Obatala

2. Ogun

3. Ori

4. Orunmila

5. Oranfe/Sango

6. Oya

7. Osun

8. Yemoja

9. Oba.

10. Olokun

11. Olosa

12. Osoosi

13. Orisa Oko/Ajoriwin

14. Bayananni

15. Aje (Wealth)

16. Odu

17. Edun/Ibeji

18. Edan/Ogboni

19. Iyami

20. Oro

21.Egbe

22. Esu.

23. Adatan

24. Yemoo

25. Oke

26. Erinle

27. Egungun

28. Obaluaye

29. Oro

30. Ina (Fire)

31. Oorun (Sun)

32. Osupa (Moon)

33. Iya

34. Baba

36. Bukuu

37. Ayan

38. Osanyin

39. Kori

40. Aganju

41. Oduduwa

42. Orun (Heaven)

43. Ile (Mother Earth)

Oluwato
Jun 24, 2013, 02:22 AM
Interestingly, the list of 401 was derived from one of the "rara" (praise song) sang for the orishas, according to this thread:
http://orishanet.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2039&sid=6b19d81b4b28d30afd16cc4bd5f8e3cf

cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" style="width: 100%"
|-
| align="left" valign="top" style="width: 150px" | Frank Baba Eyiogbe
|-

style="width: 100%"
|-
| style="width: 100%" | http://orishanet.org/forums/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif (http://orishanet.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2035&sid=65afb1a0ab58998eecc66b7cd5df3a9d#2035)Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 pm Post subject:
|-
| colspan="2" |
|-
| colspan="2" | The idea that there are 400 Orishas comes from the phrase Iba Irunmole yikotun, Iba awamale yikosi (I salute the 200 Orishas to the right, I salute the 201 on the left). Of course, Eshu is that extra '1' and is right in the middle, changing the balance of things as he sees fit.
Maferefun Eshu.
|-

Oluwato
Jun 24, 2013, 03:10 PM
76. Ṣẹ̀ẹ́rẹ́
77. Èrèlé
78. Ẹrẹ̀nà
79. Ìgbé
80. Ẹ̀bìbì
81. Òkúdu
82. Ọ̀wẹwẹ
83. Ọ̀wàrà
84. Bélú
85. Ọ̀̀pẹ́

The list above are names of months in Yorubaland. I used to sing a song with the names listed, two names are missing in the order, Agemo, and Ogun. It should be SERE (Jan) ERELE (Feb) ERENA (Mar) IGBE (Apr) EBIBI (May) OKUDU (Jun) AGEMO (Jul) OGUN (Aug) OWEWE (Sep) OWARA (Oct) BELU (Nov) OPE (Dec). That means the months are named after orishas, this sounds like Roman culture, where the months are named after Roman gods.

Obadele Kambon
Jun 26, 2013, 01:45 AM
@Oluwato, mo rò pé ẹ gbọ́ Yorùbá dáadáa; tí ẹ sì mọ̀ ọ́n kọ, mọ̀ ọ́n kà. Bí bẹ́ẹ̀ kọ́, màá yí ọ̀rọ̀ mi padà sí èdè òyìnbó fún yín. Mo wá síbí nítorí ti iṣẹ́ ribiribi tí mo rí pé ẹ ń ṣe níbí láti ṣe àkójọpọ̀ orúkọ gbogbo àwọn Òrìṣà pátápátá. Olódùmarè á sì fún yín ṣe.
Òótọ́ ni. J.O. Ajíbọ́lá, nínú ìwé rẹ̀ Òwe Yorùbá ní "Oṣù kọ̀ọ̀kan jẹmọ́ bíbọ òrìṣà mìíràn, orúkọ àwọn oṣù sì yàtọ̀ láti ibí kan síkejì." Nínú àkójọpọ̀ wa ní AbibitumiKasa.com, a kọ Ògún àti Agẹmọ sílẹ̀ tẹ́lẹ̀, ìyẹn l'ó fà á tí a kò tún àwọn orúkọ wọ̀nyẹn kọ nígbà tí a débí tí a ti ń fi orúkọ àwọn oṣù mìíràn síbẹ̀. Ìwé kan t'ó ràn mí l'ọ́wọ́ ni "Hail Orisha!: A Phenomenology of a West African Religion in the Mid-Nineteenth Century". Nínú ìwé yìí, òǹkọ̀wé ṣe ìwádìí gidi fún gbogbo ìgbà tí àwọn alùfáà àtijọ́ dárúkọ òrìṣàkórìṣà nínú àkọsílẹ̀kákọsílẹ̀ wọn. Mo sì ń lo Àwọn Àṣà àti Òrìṣà Ilẹ̀ Yorùbá, Ojú Òṣùpá, a.b.b.l. Mo rí orúkọ àwọn mìíràn níbí, mo sì rí àwọn mìíràn l'órí àwọn ìbùdó ayélùjára mìíràn. Tí ẹ bá fẹ́, ẹ lè dara pọ̀ mọ́ wa ní AbibitumiKasa.com láti wá ràn wá l'ọ́wọ́ níbẹ̀. Kò sí àwọn onígbàbọ́ tí wọ̀n bá yọ yín l'ẹ́nu níbẹ̀. Láìfa ọ̀rọ̀ gùn, ẹ ṣé fún ìforítì àti ìfaradà yín nípa kíkó orúkọ àwọn òrìṣà jọ pọ̀. Ẹ ṣé o. Mo dúpẹ́ o. Ìwájú ni ọ̀pá ẹ̀bìtì í ré sí. Ìpadàsẹ́hìn ò sì níí sí fún yín láíláí. Àṣẹ.

Oluwato
Jun 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
Arákùnrin Ọbádélé Kambon,

Ẹ ku afẹ́rẹ́ yi o. Ẹṣé tẹ wa bẹ̀ wa wo nibi. Mo ti ka àlàye yín, ó sì yemi. Ẹṣé f'adurà tẹ gbà, àti infitéṣàn yín, àmọ́, onígbagbọ́ nínu Jésu Krístì nimí. Nítorínà, nnò le darapọ̀ mọyín. Tò, èmi na gbàdúrà fún yín pé iná ìmọ́lẹ̀ Ọ̀lọ́run, Ọ̀ba to fẹ́ràn arayé to bẹ̀ gẹ́ tó fi Ọ̀mọ Rẹ̀ nikan ṣoṣo fún wa láti gbà wá là, yio tàn nínú ọkàn yín, kẹ bàle mọ ayọ̀ ainipẹ̀kun tówà ninu Kristi.

Mo kàn tilẹ̀ gbádùn bẹ ṣe kọ ède Yòrùbá yi, ibo lẹ ti rí álúfábẹ́tì kọ̀mpútà tó mọ èdè Yoòbá? Ẹ jọ̀wọ́, mòún wá lẹ́ta "Ọ" ati "Ẹ" pẹ̀lú àmì òkè (kápítálì "ẹ́" ati "ọ́"). Ẹ ní yẹn bí? Nnó ma retí èsi yín. Lẹ́ kàn si, eṣé púpọ̀. Shalom!

For Non Yoruba Readers: Mr Kambon explained why two months were missing in the list of the Yoruba months as I noted above; the reason was because they were already listed. He also referenced a book by a prominent Yoruba author which stated that a different orisha received sacrifices each month. That is the main gist of what he wrote and I responded amicably. I also asked him to help me with two Yoruba alphabet letters. Shalom!

Obadele Kambon
Jun 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
Ẹ pẹ̀lẹ́ o,
Ǹ bá tọ́ka sí ibí tí ẹ lè rí ábídí Yorùbá gbà l'órí AbibitumiKasa ṣùgbọ́n, òfin ibí báyìí ni pé mo ní láti kọ kánàkò t'ó pọ̀ tó mẹ́wàá kí n tó lè ṣe bẹ́ẹ̀. Àmọ́, ẹ ṣe ìwádìí fún "kasahorow keyboard". Ẹ ó rí ohun àkọsílẹ̀ tí mo ń lò.

Nígbàkígbà tí ẹ fẹ́ mọ̀ nípa títànjẹ tí àwọn òyìnbó fi tàn wá jẹ nípa ọ̀rọ̀ "jésu", ẹ ṣe ìwádìí l'órí youtube fún zeitgeist. Ó fi hàn pé orísun ìtàn Jésu ni ìtàn Hrw (Heru/Horus). Gbogbo ojúlówó ìtàn Hrw tí wọ́n jí láti fi ṣe ìtàn "jésu" kàn jẹmọ́ bíi oòrùn ṣe máa ń ṣe l'ọ́dọọdún. Kí ọ̀làjú dé ọ̀dọ̀ yín o. Àṣẹ. L'ẹ́hìn ẹ̀, ẹ ṣe ìwádìí fún Ìpàdé Nicea láti mọ̀ ìdí tí àwọn onígbàbọ́ fi gbàgbọ́ nǹkan tí wọ́n máa ń gbàgbọ́. Ẹni tí kò mọ ìtàn kò níí mọ Baba Ìtàn. Tótó o, àgbà, ó ṣe bíi òwe.

Ẹ ṣé fún ìrànwọ́ nípa kíkó orúkọ àwọn òrìṣà jọ o. Ó dàbọ̀ o.

Oluwato
Jun 27, 2013, 03:06 PM
Ẹ pẹ̀lẹ́ o,
Ǹ bá tọ́ka sí ibí tí ẹ lè rí ábídí Yorùbá gbà l'órí AbibitumiKasa ṣùgbọ́n, òfin ibí báyìí ni pé mo ní láti kọ kánàkò t'ó pọ̀ tó mẹ́wàá kí n tó lè ṣe bẹ́ẹ̀. Àmọ́, ẹ ṣe ìwádìí fún "kasahorow keyboard". Ẹ ó rí ohun àkọsílẹ̀ tí mo ń lò.

Nígbàkígbà tí ẹ fẹ́ mọ̀ nípa títànjẹ tí àwọn òyìnbó fi tàn wá jẹ nípa ọ̀rọ̀ "jésu", ẹ ṣe ìwádìí l'órí youtube fún zeitgeist. Ó fi hàn pé orísun ìtàn Jésu ni ìtàn Hrw (Heru/Horus). Gbogbo ojúlówó ìtàn Hrw tí wọ́n jí láti fi ṣe ìtàn "jésu" kàn jẹmọ́ bíi oòrùn ṣe máa ń ṣe l'ọ́dọọdún. Kí ọ̀làjú dé ọ̀dọ̀ yín o. Àṣẹ. L'ẹ́hìn ẹ̀, ẹ ṣe ìwádìí fún Ìpàdé Nicea láti mọ̀ ìdí tí àwọn onígbàbọ́ fi gbàgbọ́ nǹkan tí wọ́n máa ń gbàgbọ́. Ẹni tí kò mọ ìtàn kò níí mọ Baba Ìtàn. Tótó o, àgbà, ó ṣe bíi òwe.

Ẹ ṣé fún ìrànwọ́ nípa kíkó orúkọ àwọn òrìṣà jọ o. Ó dàbọ̀ o.

You may not be able to send me a PM but I can and I have. Please check your private mail inbox. Thanks!

Oluwato
Aug 3, 2013, 06:02 AM
Yoruba religion in the south Americas is usually called Santeria and or lucimi where it has been merged with Catholisicm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santer%C3%ADa

Here is a video detailing the testimony of a former Santeria evangelist who is now a Christian evangelist.... very edifying!

http://youtu.be/JpmoZNjcc2M

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JpmoZNjcc2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(http://youtu.be/JpmoZNjcc2M)