PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Ebony - Article - Series

Pooky
Nov 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
Y'all,

The current issue of Ebony has a series of articles about Africa. Some Naija is guoted in one of the stories. Please read and voice your opinion. I have only scanned them. I have a question though. What benefit will the African disapora gain by connecting with Africa and Africans? I mean tangible benefits. Are there any?

Pooky
Nov 15, 2007, 04:20 PM
Special Report: The Africa You Don’t Know
• An unfamiliar Africa “In EBONY this month, we begin a yearlong examination of the Africa you don’t know and why it is important to the world.” (Page 111)
• The Africa You Don’t Know “There is much more to the Motherland than negative media highlights.” (Page 112)
• AFRICA: What Every Black Person Should Know (Page 128) “Today, Africa, the second-largest of the Earth’s seven continents (Asia is larger) consists of 52 countries—each with its own unique story.”
• We’re All Africans: “Genealogical research and DNA testing can reveal your ethnic connection to Africa.” (Page 132)
• A Conversation with Former President William Jefferson Clinton (Page 138) “Earlier this year, former U.S. President Bill Clinton heading a delegation of the William J. Clinton Foundation, made what has now become an annual humanitarian trip to four African countries.”
• What’s Your Africa IQ? Find out what you know by answering the questions about Africa (Page 144)
End

I thought the articles were interesting. The only problem I see is doing the complete opposite of what the white media does – presenting an unrealistic and overly positive picture of the continent. I want them to simply tell the truth to the folks and encourage them to visit and let them form their own opinions.

If you have not purchased the Discovery’s “The Real Eve” you are missing a real treat. It is narrated by Danny Glover. The documentary gives you a story of how all humans owe their existence to African ancestors who began migrating out of Africa 50,000 years ago, and populated the entire planet. Do you know that Europa(Europe) was last the place to be populated primarily because it was a huge glacier. When they finally got there, they were met by the Neanthertals . They died out about 25000 after their arrival. Y’all got to buy this DVD.

Also the national geographic has a film called “the Search for Adam” and he doesn’t look nothing like a European.

Big K,

Oki doki. Don't let the white Michael Jackson scare you.

Big-K
Nov 15, 2007, 05:39 PM
Pooky,

You know I have passion for the issue of African diaspora and the need to re-establish bonds with the motherland. I'll get a copy and come back to this thread.

Pooky
Dec 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
Big K,

How are you? I hope all is well with you and your family. Have you finished reading Dreams? If so, what are you reading next? There is also another article in the new Ebony about Africa. It says the Chinese are taking over Africa and will be Africa's next colonizers. What do you sayeth to that brotha? It mentions Lagos too. I see signs of the Chinese being some big dogs in Nigeria when I am there.

The first paragraph talks about a Chinese who has a chicken farms selling 15,000 chicken, grossing 495,000 annually in Zambia. There is a picture of Chinese relaxing in front of his business in Lagos, while Naijas walk about.

Will the Chinese be Africa's new masters?

PMing you has been a problem. So I have been forced to communicate with you publicly.

Odabo,

Pooky

Big-K
Dec 25, 2007, 04:42 AM
Pooky Darl,

Merry Christmas to you, my sister. How you dey? Abeg no vex say I no reply you since. I’ve been of the site for a while – on vacation and other activity. See ya PM

I finished “Dreams” a couple of months ago – and it left me seriously drained. It was just painful see all those guys drop dead without achieving their dreams if ever seeing Africa again. All those Nigerian parents who are busy Americanizing their Kids should read that book and have a rethink. Same thing goes AAs who are still having the illusion that they are not Africans.

I have since read two relatively light books – Michael Crichton’s Prey and Grisham’s innocent Man. My next book is Silent Strength by Coach Tony Dungy. After that, I will be ready for the next one on your list- Exchanging African Identities by Michael Gomez.

I bought the Ebony magazine and its not telling me anything new. I thin people like you who know the real Africa have a duty to let other AAs know the truth. I cannot put it better than what Henry Louis Gates wrote in the magazine.

Pooky
Dec 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
Big K,

I am glad you are among the living. I be fine. Thanks for asking.

Yes, I the Ebony articles were written for the AAs. It is hard. Because though I am aware of the harsh realities of many African countries, I don't think it is all bad. AAs generally think that Africa is a useless place and thank God they were not born there. I understand why they think the way they do. I don't blame them one bit. However, it can be very annoying at times.

I always believe you have to start with the kids. Their minds are open and ready to receive. I think a good thing is if there could be exchanges where teenagers or young adults could go and spend the summer or part of the summer with an African family.

I know once you live with and among people you begin to see them just as people. Yeah we have some cultural differences and maybe a different way of looking at life. Howeer, we are all humans.

I once had a woman ask me in reference to Africans, "how do they live?" I asked her what is her day like. She says I get up in the morning, get the kids ready for school, cook breakfast, go to work, come home and get ready for the next day. I said "that how Africans live too!"

It is difficult to combat the media attitude, unless you have experienced people personally on a personal level.

Yes, I believe there should be more interaction with Africans and AA youngsters. It is hard to deal with adults, but kids are ready and open for new experiences.

I remember when I first came back from Lagos my nephew who was 11 at the time said, "Aunt Pooky I want to go to Lagos for spring break!" I knew at that moment that Nigeria wasn't a scary place in his mind and that one day he will make to Lagos. I made it a point to take him several years later. Of course, as I told him there are no free rides in life. He had to earn it. He had to maintain a certain grade point average and read a number of books that I selected and then write a report on each. Then he and I would discuss the book.

In New Orleans some years back, court documents were destroyed, because it would identify some of the prominent white citizen families as having began their journey as Africans through a slave woman.

I also had someone say "I ain't goin to no damn Africa. I ain't no African!" Now this individual is open to going to Africa once they build a bridge across the Atlantic so he can drive there. He is afraid of flying. Isn't that progress. Before he wasn't going to Africa, now he will go once someone builds a bridge, so he can drive.

So I know one person can have an affect on many in their personal lives. You don't realize it until later.

Yes Big K, I realize that Dreams will be hard for most Africans to read. But I think it is an absolute worthwhile read. You are richer for reading it. These Africans experience wasn't any diffirent thant 99.75% of the Africans. In this case, the Africans stories and thoughts were written down, rather than a third party telling you how they felt. They were lucky in some sense. They only spent 5 years in bondage, rather being born into bondage and not knowing what it felt like to be free.
Then again their agony could be seen as worse, since they had two existence and knew what it felt like and then being turned into chattle and treated like mules and horses. It is funny the whites like to call Africans/blacks Apes, but they love sexing these so-called Apes. If Africans are Apes and they are copulating with them, generally by force, would that be beastiality and raping an Ape? It is just a thought.

In some places, African slave women' primary job was to servicing the white elite. They called them "fancy women". They were sex slaves, and they were not allowed to sex black men. There job was also after a few generations to produce white slaves. They would have a ball yearly were the women would be dressed up and the white men would come and buy the services of a woman or women for the year.

I have book that affects me like Dreams does you. I am usually a speed demon when it comes to reading. However, I have been reading a book off and on going on three months. I have about 100 pages to go. God it is a hard read. I had to put the book down because it had my head throbbing. I was really distrubed. However, I feel compelled to read it. I have actually read several easier books since because it was relief. So I can relate.

After, I complete this book, the next several books with be fiction. I need a break from serious history books.

However, I think Exchanging Our Country Marks will be a way easier read for you emotionally then Dreams. I am almost sure it will not affect you as deeply. This book just gives you a break down as main ethnics that made up the AA and how we evolved into one people over generations.

Acculturation just doesn't happen. It takes generations. It is funny no matter where an AAs lives in the US, if he/or she has family that been in the the country since like 1850, I see them as my extended kin, especially if they have southern roots. We are not a monolithic group. We have so many different types that make up the group. However, what we share is history, culture, and the American experience.

I absolutely want all Naijas to read this book. Y'all want be sorry. Yes I know for many it will be a hard read, but a worthwhile one. You will be so much richer for passing your eyes across the pages

EezeeBee
Jan 8, 2008, 08:17 PM
I absolutely want all Naijas to read this book.

Kindly be specific: Which book? Thanks.

Pooky
Jan 9, 2008, 05:49 PM
Ezeebee,

Dreams of Africa in Alabama by Slyviane Diouf. Please visit Yoruba Nem book thread. Thanks.