PDA

View Full Version : Cervical Cancer: UK Considers HPV Vaccination

No Smoking
Oct 27, 2007, 01:48 AM
Schoolgirls to get 'cancer jab'

Schoolgirls in Britain will be vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer from September 2008, ministers have announced.

This goes further than recommended by experts, with all aged 12-13 eligible, and a catch-up campaign up to 18.

It is thought that vaccinating against human papilloma virus (HPV) could save hundreds of lives in the UK each year.

The vaccine is given in three injections over six months at a cost of around £300 a course.

Earlier this year the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation recommended routine vaccination for 11 to 12-year olds, including the possibility of a catch-up campaign - but only up to the age of 16.

Full Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7062479.stm)

Ajala trafu
Oct 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cervical Cancer like Breast Cancer happens to be one of the highest killers of our women and it is usually manageable if detected at the early stage.
Developed countries have the highest number of 'babies having babies' as well as rape cases therefore the new development should be most welcoming. I hope Nigeria can learn from this in order to help young girls. Unlike developed cultures that encourage children to speak boldly about abuse, the African culture does not encouraged this and most young girls actually fall victim of rape from a tender age mainly by family members and domestic helps. This leaves them at a high risk of having cervical cancer at a later stage.

It may be helpful if the government can seek funding in terms of getting the vaccine to Nigeria and making it compulsory for girls to be vaccinated from the age of 11. This will go a long way to protecting their future.

No Smoking
Oct 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
The UK program does not seem to appreciate the benefit pbtainable from male circumcision.

Various studies have identified that women having circumcised sex-partners have less-to-nil exposure to this cancer.

crimsonbabe
Oct 28, 2007, 05:53 AM
Cervical Cancer like Breast Cancer happens to be one of the highest killers of our women and it is usually manageable if detected at the early stage.
Developed countries have the highest number of 'babies having babies' as well as rape cases therefore the new development should be most welcoming. I hope Nigeria can learn from this in order to help young girls. Unlike developed cultures that encourage children to speak boldly about abuse, the African culture does not encouraged this and most young girls actually fall victim of rape from a tender age mainly by family members and domestic helps. This leaves them at a high risk of having cervical cancer at a later stage.

It may be helpful if the government can seek funding in terms of getting the vaccine to Nigeria and making it compulsory for girls to be vaccinated from the age of 11. This will go a long way to protecting their future.

Any ay to eradicate, prevent or lower the incidence of any disease is good but just a question on the bolded part of your statement above. IMHO, Generalisations like that really do undermine the good idea that you are puting forward

The word "most" to me usually connotes a majority, see below

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
most /moʊst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mohst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, superl. of much or many with more as compar. 1. in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.
2. in the majority of instances: Most operations are successful.
3. greatest, as in size or extent: the most talent.
–noun 4. the greatest quantity, amount, or degree; the utmost: The most I can hope for is a passing grade.
5. the greatest number or the majority of a class specified: Most of his writing is rubbish.
6. the greatest number: The most this room will seat is 150.
7. the majority of persons: to be more sensitive than most.
8. the most, Slang. the ultimate in something: He's the most. That movie was the most.

So do you really mean to say that majority of young girls in Nigeria get raped? I dont think so..

My $0.2
CB