PDA

View Full Version : Blood Clot: What Exactly Is This?

Picasso
Jun 8, 2003, 08:26 AM
I learnt Prof Olikoye Ransome-Kuti died from blood clotting or embolism. Sadly enough, a colleague of mine, an Indian chap died this week too. Diagnosis, blood clotting.

The guy dislocated his ankle a few weeks ago and the ankle was padded with P.O.P. while he moved around with crutches. He was perfectly healthy and I even saw him last Saturday (just a week ago). Then suddenly on Tuesday, he collapsed in his home. The wife was at work while the kids were in school. He managed to call a friend to call 911 but he died before help could arrive.

So what exactly is responsible for these cases of blood clotting? I am hoping the medical folks on the forum can provide some useful information.

Meticulous
Jun 8, 2003, 08:59 PM
Onos, sympathies on the loss of your colleague.

Here is some info from the MEDLINE PLUS site. I hope this helps, somewhat explain it.

Blood clots
Blood clots (fibrin clots) are the clumps that result from coagulation of the blood. A blood clot that forms in a vessel or within the heart and remains there is called a thrombus. A thrombus that travels from the vessel or heart chamber where it formed to another location in the body is called an embolus, and the disorder, an embolism (for example, pulmonary embolism).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/18120.jpg

Sometimes a piece of atherosclerotic plaque small pieces of tumor, fat globules, air, amniotic fluid, or other materials can act in the same manner as an embolus.

Complications
Thrombi and emboli can firmly attach to a blood vessel and partially or completely block the flow of blood in that vessel. This blockage deprives the tissues in that location of normal blood flow and oxygen. This is called ischemia and if not treated promptly can result in damage or even death of the tissues (infarction and necrosis) in that area.

Kuti's embolism was in the brain. The diagram below shows how the blood clot blocks normal blood flow to the brain. (Could lead to a possible stroke)

http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/images/Neuro-07.jpg

The obstruction of blood flow can cause death, because blood carries oxygen around the body.

A blood clot in the leg could prevents normal return of blood from the leg to the heart. Sometimes, when a dangerous blood clot forms deep in the leg muscles, sudden death can occur if the clot floats into the lungs.

It is a silent killer. However, with a healthy lifestyle and early detection, complications leading to death can be prevented.

Meticulous
Jun 9, 2003, 04:20 AM
You're welcome...:)

Anytime...!

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 9, 2003, 05:24 AM
Meticulous,

Na wa for you o....abi you don turn to medical doctor? Chineke!

Or are you thinking of taking the MCAT?

If not, then we can at least guess that you're a medical doctor or a student or married to one.

Well done, and thanks. I just hope you're not one of those women who is overly concerned with death sha...I knew someone like that once; wasn't pretty....

Meticulous
Jun 9, 2003, 01:36 PM
Arizindo Pinyon, you too sef..! Give a girl a break! :lol

I was only trying to assist Onos with his request for info.

Why worry your head so much interpreting why etc. ?

"Overly concerned with death"..?!! :eek

You're too funny. This is the second time I have read your post and wondered "what type of people does AP hang out with?!" :rollin

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 9, 2003, 04:52 PM
Meticoolest,

I don't hang out o...at least not any more. Most weekends are spent indoors, or on the road.

What do I do? Read. Then, I catch the occasional flick - when there's a relatively decent one out.

What kind of company do I keep? Well, now, I basically am in touch with like only 10 people in the whole world. This helps in keeping my positive, upbeat outlook on life. Negative, bitter, dishonest people tend to clutter one's soul with their psychological baggage.

My best people are those with a serious capacity for honest introspection - that's how to live and to love living. After that, everything else falls into place.

How about you? Whom do you hang out with?

Meticulous
Jun 10, 2003, 01:49 AM
Wow Arizindo Pinyon "Meticoolest" huh, you sure are smooth! 8)

AP, are you a "nerd"? Or a hemit? :|

I'm an independent woman, I don't hobnob...:rolleyes

Pooky
Jun 10, 2003, 05:41 AM
Meticulous,

Risi's last sentence made me laugh too. He was trying to catch you off guard--being all conversational and all. LOL!

I think he is a Geek. I don't think there is anything necessarily bad about being a Geek. Differences in perspectives is what make the world go around. Many of his ideas expressed, I must admit, are really bizarre. I am beginning to like Risi. I don't know why?

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 10, 2003, 06:55 AM
Meticulous wants to know if I'm a hermit or a nerd.

Well, it depends on what nerd means, I guess....

If it means a guy who likes to read but isn't worldly, then you could say I'm nerdy; but I wouldn't call myself a nerd. If lovin' my own company and space makes me a hermit, then maybe that's what I am. Maybe I'm a nerdly hermit with a wild streak...or something like that.

I've got big plans, baby, and I never knew anyone who did big things without first spending lots of time alone - thinking.

An independent woman, unnh? Interesting...;)

Meticulous
Jun 11, 2003, 12:57 AM
Pooky, you're right. Seems like AP has some charm in him!

AP, if a hermit lives in a state of ecstasy, his lack of comfort becomes the height of comfort. He must relinquish it.

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 11, 2003, 01:48 AM
Pooky, you're right. Seems like AP has some charm in him!

Too kind, Metsy, too kind.

You write:

AP, if a hermit lives in a state of ecstasy, his lack of comfort becomes the height of comfort. He must relinquish it.

Which do you mean: the heightened comfort or the state of ecstasy?

Or: do you mean he should get some comfort so that he will no longer lack it? A discomfited AP wants to know.

Meticulous
Jun 11, 2003, 07:35 AM
AP, why do you think I put that quote there...?

Don't get carried away and fall into a state of soliloquy with that quote...

You had said you were spending lots of time alone - thinking, because you wanted to achieve your big plans in future.

Well, in your bid to spend lots of time thinking, you have had to refrain from some worldly pleasures (self-denial).

However, in your attempt to self refrain, and release your soul from bondage; you are actually beginning to enjoy your state of self-denial. (You said you're loving your own company!)

So, you need to get out of your state of self-refrain and go back into the company of others; because by enjoying your sojourn in hermit life, you are no longer able to purge your soul in isolation.

In other words, engage in some self-indulgence...:evil

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 12, 2003, 07:38 AM
Metiski, you wrote:

Well, in your bid to spend lots of time thinking, you have had to refrain from some worldly pleasures (self-denial).

However, in your attempt to self refrain, and release your soul from bondage; you are actually beginning to enjoy your state of self-denial. (You said you're loving your own company!)

So, you need to get out of your state of self-refrain and go back into the company of others; because by enjoying your sojourn in hermit life, you are no longer able to purge your soul in isolation.

In other words, engage in some self-indulgence...

See me see trouble o....who sai I am purging my soul - I'm not that type of hermit (to paraphrase John Travolta in "Michael"). :)

On a more serious note, sha, I don't think that spending lots of time thinking is self-denial. Thinking is a worldly pleasure - in fact, it is the most pleasurable worldly pleasure, when you know how; if it weren't, I wouldn't do so much of it.

Self-indulgence? If, by that, you mean doing what I enjoy more, then I couldn't be more self-indulgent except I went into the University to teach (something I'm still mulling). But, if by self-indulgent, you mean practising all the pedestrian, generic non-principles that the majority of the general, unthinking horde practice, then I think you are mistaking me for a certain type of averager: the presently ubiquitous Babbitt.

No, babes, I'm no Babbitt.

Meticulous
Jun 12, 2003, 02:57 PM
AP, I apologise then..! I must have underestimated you! :lol

Your play with my name definitely shows talent...and a wild streak...:rollin

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 12, 2003, 11:11 PM
No worries, babes...all's well.

Talented? moi?

Ah, so you like 'em wild, eh? :smokin

Bad girl, Meti, bad girl! :x

Meticulous
Jun 13, 2003, 05:11 AM
AP, no! Wild can be good...

I'm angelic...!

You should know better than that!;)

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 13, 2003, 07:16 AM
AP, no! Wild can be good...

I'm angelic...!

You should know better than that!

I toadally agree, Metsy, I toadally agree...wild can be good...

You say you're angelic; that's some cause for concern 'cos I wonder if you could go where angels fear to tread...

Could you tread the shores of the sea of dread?

Meticulous
Jun 13, 2003, 02:17 PM
AP, rest assured...:)

This girl is fearless AP. Have you seen the movie "Fearless"? :|

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 13, 2003, 02:41 PM
Have I seen "Fearless" ?

Yup. It starred Rosie Perez and Jeff Bridges, I think.

Meti the Brave. My imagination's in a spiral. Chei....:b

Bad girl, Meti, very, very bad girl! :evil

I Love Nigeria
Jun 14, 2003, 07:36 PM
The Clintons met while in Yale law school in 1970

According to Mrs. Clinton, it appeared there was a mutual admiration and open flirtations between Hilary and Bill

She liberated the "clossetted" feelings by announcing to Mr. Clinton thus forth "If we are going to keep starring at each other, we might as well introduce ourselves?"

Birds fluttering in Spring time over blooming flowers as I look out of my windows ....

Meticulous
Jun 15, 2003, 02:36 AM
I Love Nigeria, sorry but I missed the allusion you were trying to draw here...

Could you elaborate...?

Pooky
Jun 15, 2003, 03:15 AM
Meticulious,

I think he may be suggesting that there may be a possible love connection. You have seem to have brought out the more kinder and gentler side of Risi. You go girl..

Meticulous
Jun 15, 2003, 03:56 AM
Pooky, I am quite surprised to hear that...

AP, were you mean and vicious in the past?http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/58.gif

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 15, 2003, 06:35 AM
Meticulous,

Some people would say I was mean and vicious, but I thought I was only being straight.

In any case, I'm a much nicer person now. Take my word for it....scout's honor(!).|I

Anyways, how's your weekend coming? I hope you're having fun.

Big-K
Jun 15, 2003, 06:56 AM
abeg anyone see Shoko Loko and Nextlevel?

I need them to translate this blood clot thing.

NextLevel
Jun 15, 2003, 07:43 AM
Big K,

Don't try to translate - just observe. Some things either escape or do not merit understanding.

Meticulous
Jun 15, 2003, 08:17 AM
AP, seems you're really confusing people here though. Even Big K seems confused (not sure why?)...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/33.gif

Anyway, I believe you...

I'm having a terrific weekend, hope you are too. Thanks for asking.http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/25.gif

I Love Nigeria
Jun 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
Oh my God!

This thread is about blood clot?:rollin

Uwaa Sef
Jun 15, 2003, 07:59 PM
Arizindo Pinyon jus take style dey shadow Meticulous, and Meticulous don dey fall small small. Guys sef. Na wa for una-o.

Later

Arizindo Pinyon
Jun 15, 2003, 09:16 PM
No problem, Metsy dearie; the pleasure is all mine.

I'm having a nice weekend too, thank you. :)

As for all my people who are instigating, make una face ya front. :|

Metsy's a good online friend, I don't know if we would be good friends offline though: they're way too many differences in our views.

Kenn
Jun 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
Ah! Uwaa Sef!

>>>Arizindo Pinyon jus take style dey shadow Meticulous, and Meticulous don dey fall small small. Guys sef. Na wa for una-o.<<<

Abeg, make you gba break for dia! Na who you say don dey fall small, small? Metibaby? Na him be say you never know anything - MetiMama just dey wrap poor Arizindo round her finger, turn am putty finish, then she go fling am like koso, abi you no know? Now, e be like say Mr Pinyon don dey sense the nail wey e dey come, so him don dey act hard to get - "I don't know if we would be good friends offline though: they're way too many differences in our views". Heavy bobo! You think say Meticulobia go fall for that kind bait? Whoosai?

Long and short, me I know say Meti too much for this kind schoolboy stuff, abi na why dem put "Private Mail" for here? If na me, I for don ask for telephone number since, make I kuku know where we dey go!

Abeg my brother, make you just siddon look O jare...

NB: Ehen, those of una wey get bloodclot and brainclot problem, make una read wetin Meti don give una since and quick, quick go see doctor O! Una kuku hear say na silent killer...:lol :lol

Big-K
Jun 16, 2003, 01:38 AM
Kenn,

e just be like say u dey read my mind. na so Meti-fine-gal twist Nextlevel sotay na small e remain make the brother get blood clot.

make we just siddon dey look jeje ojare. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/33.gif

Meticulous
Jun 17, 2003, 01:12 AM
AP....see me see trouble...! :eek

Look at what having a pleasant tête à tête has led to...

ILN came up with the Clinton saga..

BK asked for SK and NL...

NL brought his "IQ" in...

Kenn said nail is coming, I am a "heavy chess player" and everyone should check for blood clot...

US said AP has become a shadow...

BK came back to say I am a real chess player and everyone should "siddon jeje"...

You men with your voodoo Sherlocking..I am still trying to figure you guys out! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/06.gif

Go figure...! :rolleyes

NextLevel
Jun 17, 2003, 01:13 AM
The title is for anyone trying to explain MT...

I Love Nigeria
Jun 17, 2003, 03:12 AM
Meticulous, MetiMama, MetiBabe, MetiDearie, Metilobia, MT?

I thought, I was just reporting an observation (like a harmless journalist?) No swipes, no ridiculing intended.

A thousand apologies! No malice! No offense was intended!

I did not mean to "start" anything, I did not mean to open any doors of disrespect or any pandora's box.

YOU are a very valued contributor, you are always erudite and incisive and forthright.

You always offer good advice and wise counsel.

What I wrote was not intended to poke fun at you or engage in anything distasteful at your expense

I hold you in the highest ESTEEM !

I have two sisters and a mother who I love dearly and I have respect for them as I do you.

I admire your very intellectual and reasoned presentations, your Pan Africanist uplifting diagnosis and prescriptions in connection with internalized racism (self-loathing which is what I have called it in the past) I have a lot of respect for a majority of your postings in the VillageSquare, including those that are even inconsistent with my views!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME, would you? Please?

Dear Fellow Villagers, Meticulous appear to take exceptions to some comments that she has carefully outlined in her recent post above, perhaps we should have consideration and give "it" a rest?

I take her recent posting above as a complaint and a protest, we should lay off, of her. Please?

I started it all, I apologize. I did not mean to be insensistive.

Sorry Meticulous. I am sincerely sorry for any hurt feelings that I may have caused you.

Kenn
Jun 17, 2003, 03:13 AM
People,

Chei!

Wetin make ILN run leave 'Patriotic Front' come tanda for 'Good Figure' na helele O!

Abeg, anybody don see Danfo ati Molue?:lol

I Love Nigeria
Jun 17, 2003, 04:14 AM
Kenn my brother,

The truth of the matter is, there are few of our Nigerian or African ladies participating in these Nigerian/African web activities as it is!

I feel as though, I have caused this lady embarrassment or slight, I do not want to be responsible for departure from this Village Square Board.

Do you not agree that she makes valuable contributions? Including in this thread where she provided color graphics of a health issue?

She did same thing on Boobs regarding health risks from boobs enhancements and saline solutions and silicon gel etc?

She has been active, and she is a minority on this board (female) should we all encourage and welcome her? Should we shoo her out by acting like wolves?

I made a mistake, I made insensitive remark that multiplied into a deluge! I always preach sensitivity to others and that is why I have apologized.

I do not know this lady! I have no business making statements about her that she finds unsavory and she has accordingly protested.

Or Kenn1, what do you think? She is obviously aggrieved, perhaps you should read her most recent post?

Big-K
Jun 17, 2003, 04:25 AM
ILN,

I join in apologizing to Meticulous for any offending comments!

Kenn
Jun 17, 2003, 04:31 AM
Hey Dude!

Lady Metistika is as cool as a cucumber. Right now, she's having a great good mischievous guffaw at the expense of the recanting wolves!

Wow!

But then, I have to admit, you're a gentleman and half.

Okay, you've suffered enough, so she bids me tell you she's forgiven you; but as for all the other rascals...

Big K

Et tu Big K? Oti O!:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Meticulous
Jun 17, 2003, 02:49 PM
Kenn, you have a wicked sense of humour! :rollin

Awww....ILN I am flattered, thanks.http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/60.gif

ILN, BK and Kenn?(not sure if yours was an apology)....no offense taken...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/57.gif

You guys are so amazing...! :)

Kenn
Jun 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
Pop the champagne and three Happy Cheers for M'Lady!

Hip! Hip!! Hip!!!

(Abeg make somebody shout hurray O)...

HUUURRAYYYY!

Wind
Jun 17, 2003, 07:09 PM
Chei!!
I can't believe I missed this thread. What was I thinking?

This is a good lesson in smooching 101. Risi welcome back to the real world. For a while back there we thought we'd lost you to that Russian lady.

By the Way. Looks like there's gonna be 4th of July Naija Smooching in Cali. That may be a good start for u and meti....

www.nrconline.com (http://www.nrconline.com)