Nigerian Universities In Pictures

Nigerian Universities in Pictures

By Uche Nworah (uchenworah@yahoo.com

I have been on the road all week on behalf of my employers visiting towns and universities in the South East and South South identifying potential CSR projects. With regards to our Ivory Towers, I must say that the houses have not fallen yet; neither do they appear that they would fall anytime soon. I'm sure this is not the type of news Karl Maier would want to hear.

Despite the challenges, I think the Vice Chancellors of some of the universities are doing very well and the students too. I wouldn't worry too much about Nigerian universities not making the global rankings, there is a genuine effort at improving standards and quality. A full pictorial report on this will follow later. I have so far visited Unical (Calabar), Uniuyo (Uyo), Uniport (P.H), IMOSU (Owerri), ABSU (Uturu), UNN (Nsukka & Enugu Campus), Unizik (Awka) and Uniben (Benin) this week. I must say that from the lot, I have been most impressed by ABSU; the environment is really beautiful and is fit-for-purpose with breathtaking views.

My trip to Uniuyo was nostalgic as it brought back old memories. I haven't been back there since my graduation and was happy to reunite with my lecturers again, the likes of Prof Desmond Wilson and Dr. Nkereuwem Udoakah all of the Communications Arts Department. I also met up with an old classmate Dr. Mfon Itek who also now teaches in the department of Communications Arts. I think past students should find time to return to their Alma Matters, identify with them and look for ways of giving back.

I used the opportunity of my trip to Nsukka to collect my PG certificate; the guys at the PG office are complaining that students don't always come back for theirs hanging on instead to their statements of results. Going through the list to check if mine was ready, I counted hundreds if not thousands of names who are yet to collect theirs. I was surprised that the whole process didn't take up to 30 minutes. You only need to pay an official N1, 000 processing fee which is receipted, unless the spirit leads you to buy lunch for the boys around the office. Well if are reading this and finished from UNN, chances are that your certificate may just be lying around collecting dust so better hurry to get it. Mr. J.O Ukwueze and his hardworking team will be glad to assist you.

On a lighter note, I witnessed something at the Convocation arena of the University of Port Harcourt which I felt I should share. Please, this picture is not to ridicule the efforts of the university authorities but should rather get Uniport alumni thinking on ways they can support the university. It appears that general courses lectures are held at the arena as that is the only place where huge numbers usually enrolled on the general courses could all be accommodated. The challenge however is that the arena is not purpose – built for lectures but like they say, necessity is the mother of invention, the students now seat backwards at the arena, and this leaves their legs and feet dangling. A thought provoking sight indeed. You can check my blog in a couple of days from today to view the pictures.

1 2 3 4
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Simbili posted on 05-09-2009, 14:05:57 PM
These are quite decent pictures I must say. I have seen worse. Pictures of my school.

Covenant University Ota, Ogun State.

Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Ph3y posted on 05-09-2009, 14:10:31 PM
Were they having a jumping class of some sort?? or maybe a hanging class???
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Yankari posted on 05-09-2009, 15:13:18 PM

Covenant University Ota, Ogun State.

if it is the same convenant university where you must do a pregnancy and HIV test before you are allowed graduate, no thanks, i'd rather take my chances and hang from these seats
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Anioma777 posted on 05-09-2009, 15:31:12 PM
@Simbili

Is the above statement true or just usual Naija tell tale.

You have to admire the ingenuity of Nigerians. Nna...men I love Naija

Nice pictures of Covenant University Ota. But Uche after your university tour, let us have a GENUINE REPORT ON THE STATUS OF THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY. I want to know this because most Nigerian graduates I have come across in the last 10 years, just seem to be experts in cramming and passing exams and "NOT ABLE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX".
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Simbili posted on 05-09-2009, 15:50:21 PM
@Simbili

Is the above statement true or just usual Naija tell tale.

You have to admire the ingenuity of Nigerians. Nna...men I love Naija

Nice pictures of Covenant University Ota. But Uche after your university tour, let us have a GENUINE REPORT ON THE STATUS OF THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY. I want to know this because most Nigerian graduates I have come across in the last 10 years, just seem to be experts in cramming and passing exams and \"NOT ABLE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX\".

Thanks. To answer your question without hearsay:

At his last world press conference to mark the second convocation ceremony of Covenant University, the Chancellor and Chairman, Board of Regents, Dr. David Oyedepo, did not mince words about the institutions' determination to continue administering the tests on students, no matter the opposition from any quarters.

When he was asked to clarify the pregnancy and HIV/AIDS tests on students without their consent, Oyedepo said: \"We don't need the consent of students to carry out our policies.

This is not LASU (Lagos State University) or UNILAG (University of Lagos).

We have handbooks, signed by students, subscribed to by their parents. It's congent. Covenant University is not for a freelance student.

\"There is age limit here for admission. No student is admitted if he/she is above 21 years.\"

Oyedepo continued: \"No age limit in LASU, UNILAG.

You can't bend a dried fish (except when it is fresh). We take students at young age that can be well moulded.

We are committed to packaging them for good leadership, to be respected, committed, according to our total man concept and being found worthy in character and in learning. This is a Christian Mission University, committed to the goals of learning and faith, and of truth for living.

Yes, it is true.
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Yankari posted on 05-09-2009, 15:52:41 PM
@Simbili

Is the above statement true or just usual Naija tell tale.

Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Bannister posted on 05-09-2009, 15:59:07 PM
Another ignoramus. I bet you don't even know Otta talk less Covenant Univeristy. I have two of my kids in Nigerian universities, one private the other public. Though both are doing remarkably well, i'd rather wished the other was in a private university. The difference, as they say, is very clear.
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Simbili posted on 05-09-2009, 16:01:23 PM
University classroom pictures.
user posted image

Non-University pictures.
user posted image

user posted image
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Anioma777 posted on 05-09-2009, 22:08:02 PM
Extraordinary university. But I suppose its their rules..but rather bizarre and as usual with most these so called "christian academic institutions" similar to Nigeria's numerous fake churches they are not actually following the teachings of Jesus.

Can you imagine Jesus at one of his teachings a leper,prostitute or even if they had AIDS then turning someone away based on thier health,age and pregnancy status.Wonders shall never end in our beloved Nigeria!!!

I should have guessed "Bishop" David Oyedepo, a self anointed business man using God to make money and fool gullible Nigerians and non-Nigerians will be instrumental in this nonsense criteria called Covenant University.

So if someone graduates and is found to have engaged in sex, is pregnant or has HIV they would forfeit their 3-4 year degree. Lord have mercy on Nigeria 419 churches,pastors and their institutions.

@Simbili

Nice pictures. I hope you are celibate if your still in this comical nonsense come university or well done for staying that way to graduate if you have left.

@Yankari

Thanks for the weblinks.

@Bannista

Where is "Otta"? I am assuming its a typo on your part and you meant to say Ota, in Ogun state. Famous for OBJ's impressive farms, and quite a vibrant town.
Re: Nigerian Universities In Pictures
Dewdrops posted on 05-09-2009, 22:31:06 PM
user posted image

Igbinedion University Okada, Edo State, Nigeria

Look at all those university students hanging like monkeys in a zoo.
1 2 3 4