Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan

alt

StandPoint

Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan

January 04, 2011

alt

We strongly condemn the terrorist activities in our country. And we condemn, with equal vigor, the tepid, indecisive response of President Jonathan to them.

Nigerians have a right to expect to hear promptly, decisively and authoritatively from their rulers during periods of crises. And they have a right to responses devoid of platitudes and empty rhetoric. In 2010 alone, Nigeria witnessed horrendous massacres and bomb blasts in Jos, Abuja, Bayelsa, Warri and Maiduguri that were eerie reminders of the high-profile assassinations in the country.

Despite routine pledges by the government following each event, no one has ever been held accountable. We know, however, that they were not committed by ghosts. The killers and plotters are among us, and unless the government begins to prosecute these ruthless perpetrators, it would be held to be incompetent, an accomplice, or both.

Terrorism is a big deal. The President should treat it as such.

________________

The StandPoint is the consensual position of the NVS editorial board.

1 2 3 4
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Benjani posted on 01-04-2011, 18:19:50 PM
We are tired of empty rhetoric. Those dastard acts were not committed by farmers or bricklayers. Recently we learnt that the master-mind behind the south-east kidnappings is an on-the-run police DPO.
For quite sometimes now, it has been one terrorist act after another with devastating bombing here and there. Many have lost their lives and many more maimed. In all these Nigerians, where is your President? Missing in action!
This is an emergency situation folks. It has become a drastic situation that requires a drastic action/solution. With the military, SSS and the police at his disposal, the president refused to act accordingly. I am reluctant to say that this man (GEJ) doesn't know what to do. His indecisiveness has emboldened the terrorists to the point that he is now a hostage, scare to death and can't even go to Yenagoa or Otueke.
If this man can't unravel domestic aggressions, how do we expect him to competently crack external ones? PDP, GEJ and his hard-core supporters owe us serious explanation.
And he wants 4 more years.
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Century posted on 01-04-2011, 18:57:28 PM
"Heard that the President just appointed a New terrorism chief and I think that is a wrong step in the wrong direction. "

nullnull

The appointment of a so-called Terrorism Chief or whatever it is called is a clear demonstration of the cluelessness of the Jonathan administration. What can such a meaningless office do to solve problems the uncountable organizations staturily set up by government are unable to do?

The position taken by StandPoint is spot on:

"The killers and plotters are among us, and unless the government begins to prosecute these ruthless perpetrators, it would be held to be incompetent, an accomplice, or both.
We believe that if the security agencies are failing, they should be reorganized, beginning at the very top. They should then be given a time-limit to identify the forces and intent behind these terrorist activities."

nullnull
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Sincerejumbo posted on 01-04-2011, 20:37:04 PM
It is so disappointing that no current or aspiring presidential candidate has come up with any reasonable solution to our widespread security problem.

GEJ is clearly clueless but the opposition candidates are not showing that they have any credible solutions.

This is the current situation of the country that makes it prone to internal conflict.
-large population of young, poorly educated, unemployed/under-employed citizens who have no faith in their government.

-a security apparatus (police, SSS, military) that has been poorly trained and equipped for over 20years.

-rising poverty levels to produce future poorly educated and disillusioned youths to continue the cycle of violence

We are in dire need of leaders who understand the multi-factorial nature of our current and future security problems.

If anyone knows of such a person NOW is the time for them to speak.
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Miko posted on 01-04-2011, 21:55:44 PM
let us continue to dance naked around this entity called nigeria with its myriad of problem recycling tired solutions that won't work. GEJ can never be our problem
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Exponent posted on 01-04-2011, 23:12:48 PM
PLEASE!

I believe White People is behind this. Some body and some entity wants Nigeria Scared and destabalized.

Why???
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Prof penkelemess posted on 01-05-2011, 05:04:15 AM
Standpointers: thank you !

so says

one...

Whiteman - or call'em Caucasian

but at least I am living in the BLACK forest!
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Ikoyiesho1 posted on 01-05-2011, 05:21:59 AM
Hahaha Professor Penkele,

You are behind all this.
No wonder you are always on NVS.
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Eja posted on 01-05-2011, 05:55:55 AM
I Hate the Indifferent
by Antonio Gramsci

I hate the indifferent. I believe that living means taking sides. Those who really live cannot help being a citizen and a partisan. Indifference and apathy are parasitism, perversion, not life. That is why I hate the indifferent.

The indifference is the deadweight of history. The indifference operates with great power on history. The indifference operates passively, but it operates. It is fate, that which cannot be counted on. It twists programs and ruins the best-conceived plans. It is the raw material that ruins intelligence. That what happens, the evil that weighs upon all, happens because the human mass abdicates to their will; allows laws to be promulgated that only the revolt could nullify, and leaves men that only a mutiny will be able to overthrow to achieve the power.

The mass ignores because it is careless and then it seems like it is the product of fate that runs over everything and everyone: the one who consents as well as the one who dissents; the one who knew as well as the one who didn't know; the active as well as the indifferent. Some whimper piously, others curse obscenely, but nobody, or very few ask themselves: If I had tried to impose my will, would this have happened? I also hate the indifferent because of that: because their whimpering of eternally innocent ones annoys me. I make each one liable: how they have tackled with the task that life has given and gives them every day, what have they done, and especially, what they have not done. And I feel I have the right to be inexorable and not squander my compassion, of not sharing my tears with them. I am a partisan, I am alive, I feel the pulse of the activity of the future city that those on my side are building is alive in their conscience. And in it, the social chain does not rest on a few; nothing of what happens in it is a matter of luck, nor the product of fate, but the intelligent work of the citizens. Nobody in it is looking from the window of the sacrifice and the drain of a few. Alive, I am a partisan.

That is why I hate the ones that don't take sides, I hate the indifferent.

________

Indifference is actually the mainspring of history. But in a negative sense. What comes to pass, either the evil that afflicts everyone, or the possible good brought about by an act of general valour, is due not so much to the initiative of the active few, as to the indifference, the absenteeism of the many. What comes to pass does so not so much because a few people want it to happen, as because the mass of citizens abdicate their responsibility and let things be. They allow the knots to form that in time only a sword will be able to cut through; they let men rise to power whom in time only a mutiny will overthrow. The fatality that seems to dominate history is precisely the illusory appearance of this indifference, of this absenteeism. Events are hatched off-stage in the shadows; unchecked hands weave the fabric of collective life – and the masses know nothing. The destinies of an epoch are manipulated in the interests of narrow horizons, of the immediate ends of small groups of activists – and the mass of citizens know nothing. But eventually the events that are hatched come out into the open; the fabric woven in the shadows is completed, and then it seems that fatality overwhelms everything and everybody. It seems that history is nothing but an immense natural phenomenon, an eruption, an earthquake, and that we are all its victims, both those who wanted it to happen as well as those who did not, those who knew it would happen and those who did not, those who were active and those who were indifferent. And then it is the indifferent ones who get angry, who wish to dissociate themselves from the consequences, who want it made known that they did not want it so and hence bear no responsibility. And while some whine piteously, and others howl obscenely, few people, if any, ask themselves this question: had I done my duty as a man, had I sought to make my voice heard, to impose my will, would what came to pass have ever happened? But few people, if any, see their indifference as a fault – their scepticism, their failure to give moral and material support to those political and economic groups that were struggling either to avoid a particular evil or to promote a particular good. Instead such people prefer to speak of the failure of ideas, of the definitive collapse of programmes, and other like niceties. They continue in their indifference and their scepticism.

Source
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Eja posted on 01-05-2011, 05:57:01 AM
Re: Terrorism Is A Big Deal, President Jonathan
Prof penkelemess posted on 01-05-2011, 06:44:15 AM
Ikoyi,

WHO told you so?

that it is me and not Dr. Gary ?

please let me know!