It's not that I dislike Omoyele Sowore's Sahara Reporters investigative acumen but I was totally pissed off about his conduct during the now famous Gbenga Obasanjo's interview when Sowore rode in the latter's vehicle at the Seme border about two years ago and this is my point: Gbenga Obasanjo as at that time in question did not know who Sowore is but he was known to Sowore and he (Sowore) used that latent knowledge to start a conversation that brought the entire Obasanjo household to the fore as a highly dysfunctional family. The conversation between Sowore and Gbenga Obasanjo was not an interview but a manly talk to "kill time" as they journeyed to Lagos and the latter never had the premonition that the former was going to use the conversation as breaking news in the future. This is my grudge with Mr Omoyele Sowore that he used Gbenga Obasanjo as a bait to get juicy news about the former President and that "conversational interview" also told us that Gbenga Obasanjo is a "faulty domestic tap"

Omoyele Sowore's Sahara Reporters has become so vibrant in its investigative journalism, first of its kind after the likes of Tell Magazine and The News but the difference is in the fact that Sowore's indepth analytical approach and methodical evidence provides a good read but readers like us have developed a thick skin after the Gbenga Obasanjo debacle vis a vis the interview and the blatant accusation that his father slept with his Wife, Mojisola Obasanjo. Sahara Reporters threw caution to the wind and went ahead to publish the photographs of the Gbenga-Mojisola's children who are minors and it behoved Sahara Reporters to have covered their faces! When Sahara Reporters did this, I lost confidence in the morals of the outfit but the recent breaking news on the purchase of landed properties by Mrs Farida Waziri and top Newspaper Editors as revealed by Sahara Reporters has once again brought into limelight the personality called Omoyele Sowore.

Sahara Reporters published this week that the above mentioned Nigerians are involved in the allocation and purchase of landed properties in Abuja and mention was made of the very popular Chairman, Editorial Board of Guardian Newspapers Rutam House, Isolo, Lagos Dr Reuben Abati PhD that he is part of the group involved in the purchase of the allocated landed properties. Suffice to say that less than forty eighty hours after the expose by Sahara Reporters, we read a posted news by another Nigerian that Dr Reuben Abati has been a callous victim of the now very popular scammers AKA Yahoo Yahoo Boys and the news reports detailed that the email address of Dr Reuben Abati was hacked into and used in the dissemination of a scammed email asking for help that his Daughter is lying critically ill in a hospital and the sum of N250,000 is needed immediately to foot the medical bills. The email was allegedly sent by "Mr Reuben Abati" who asked that the money be sent to one Dr Ojolowo with detailed contact number. Well meaning Nigerians including I defended Dr Abati and even "conjured" that maybe a pseudo "lookalike" email address was opened to lure the unsuspecting contacts of the real Dr Reuben Abati into believing that indeed his Daughter was sick and needed instant financial help.

I was then personally awed when Dr Reuben Abati in his weekly Friday article wrote that his real email address was used and that when he did open the box, he met about 5 sent emails in his sent box, it was then that i began to rumble through this conspiracy theory. Dr Reuben Abati did not address the issue raised by Sahara Reporters at all but dedicated the entire article to the scam which he titled "The Scam that failed". He ran his readers through the entire story and many of us believed him since we were reading from the horse's mouth! I also wanted to read from the Horse's mouth concerning the news report by Sahara Reporters. Now, this is not the very first time that Dr Reuben Abati had written a two-subject article, he would write on LASTMA and at the same time write on BRT Bus lanes and finish with the Nuhu Ribadu debacle at the Nigerian Police Force, so should i imply that many readers of his age-long article were embarrassed/annoyed/worried/sad/wondered/askance why he did not address the allocated landed properties saga as brewed by Sahara Reporters but instead he wrote on the failed Yahoo Yahoo scam and even said that he had diarrhoea when he discovered what had happened to his highly esteemed personality.

My conspiracy theory is thus:

1. Which is more important? The failed scammed emails by a fake Reuben Abati or the allocated landed property?

2. When was the scammed email received across the globe?

3. Do we have recipients of the email who can tell us when they did receive the mail as sent by the fake Abati?

4. We read the report as posted by a Nigerian on Thursday 8th of January 2009, 48 hours after Sahara Reporters posted the news report

5. I may then theorise by what i read yesterday in the published article by Dr Reuben Abati that the scammed email story may be a diversionary tactic to douse tension.

6. Is this a damage control exercise or something related to it?

7. I was expecting to read in his article published yesterday that the same "Dr Ojowolo" used his name to buy the allocated landed property. Yes, it is possible. The reason i was expecting him to address this issue is because of his position in society whereby we share the same view on government and corruption which has eaten deep into the very fabric of our society. It behoves Dr Reuben Abati to address this quite damaging report. He needs to address this report because he speaks for the masses and it is embarrassing on his part for an allegation of such nature being tied to him. Dr Reuben Abati finger points at corrupt practises, lack of transparency and accountability by government officials with his editorial and we as Nigerians do not want such fingers dripping with blood, the blood of corruption because "He who approaches equity, must come with clean hand"

8. Much as i appreciate Dr Reuben Abati addressing the issue of the Yahoo Yahoo Boys through his article on the failed scam because this is another issue of importance, however, on the scale of things, the news report by Sahara Reporters is of more significant importance to his integrity, dignity and reputation as a frontline Editor in one of Nigeria's leading newspaper. A person of his calibre should not be found wanting in this regard. If such a news report had come out linking a personality like Gani Fawehinmi SAN, i can bet a Million Pound that Gani Fawehinmi would come out smoking defending his name, honour and integrity. So Dr Reuben Abati, the ball is in your court.

9. Maybe he has not seen the news report where his name has been mentioned as an "allotee" of a landed property in Abuja?

I am one of the "DNAed" admirers and readers of Dr Reuben Abati and pray that he address this issue once and for all so we can lay it to rest. I do hope that my conspiracy theory is wrong. I pray that i am wrong

Caveat: I have not accused Dr Reuben Abati of any criminal activity neither have i questioned his personality. I have just gone on a wild chase to help get to the roots of this matter. He still has my profound respect.

Reactions

Join the conversation through disqus comments or via our forum. Click on any of the tabs below to select your desired option. Please engage decently.

• Disqus Comments
  • Facebook
  • Forum Discussion

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Salstep posted on 01-12-2009, 05:43:12 AM
Wale thank you. I have not read the report by SR but going through your article i was looking for a vital information which i did not see.

Was the acquisition by RA fraudlent or flawed.

As the editor of the Guardian and as a Nigerian i expect him to have money to purchase land in Abuja, and if he chooses to acquire one in a transparent and fraud free manner i dont know why anyone will question that.

Anyway can you please supply information on this bit. Or maybe i missed it in your article.

taslim

Bros,

The full story is here: http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/28303-how-farida-waziri-top-nigerian-editors-got-abuja-land-allocations-saharareporters.html

The above is a URL.

or on SR
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Tanibaba posted on 01-12-2009, 05:55:59 AM

Thanks. Honestly i dont consider it necessary to go through that link. It is sufficient for Wale or anyone to answer my poser.

Thanks for your post.

taslim
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Nero africanus posted on 01-12-2009, 07:50:58 AM

Thanks for your post.

taslim

forgive my saying so ,

but this is really ignorant ,

cant you answer your poser urself by reading the article and determining for yourself the answer
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Denker posted on 01-12-2009, 08:30:18 AM
forgive my saying so ,

but this is really ignorant ,

...wetin bi your own beef..do not forget say dat chap na big naija oga...abeg mind your business, also do forget dat am not even minding my own business NA, nwam...
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
B.O.S.S. posted on 01-12-2009, 08:38:05 AM
I have tried reaching out to Reuben Abati but couldn't find his email address. I think a lot of Nigerians would be happy if he responds to the allegation by Sahara Reporters because they seem to be very sure and they have backed it all up with evidence. Reuben Abati cannot claim not to have seen (or been told) about the allegations however his silence is deafening.
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
WaleAkin posted on 01-12-2009, 10:18:17 AM

Was the acquisition by RA fraudlent or flawed.

taslim

Tanibaba,

I was having a discourse with a fellow Nigerian this morning and this is what i told him verbatim \"I know Nigerians resident here in the UK and know them personally who have £100K-£300K in their current and savings accounts and these are very clean Nigerians with straight CV\", Now if we have these Nigerians in the diaspora then i see no reason why we should not have such in Nigeria also and i tell you explicitly that there are very clean Nigerians at home who have legitimate source of livelihood and i will not be surprised if Dr Reuben Abati is one of such Nigerian due to his upper ladder rung position in the business world but because he is a public figure, a response to this \"allegation\" is needed. No?

This news report has been on since Tuesday 5th of January 2009, Abati had two golden opportunities to respond, one on Friday 8th of January 2009 in his usual Friday editorial musing and the other yesterday in his Sunday editorial but none came. Dr Abati is a very popular Nigerian, if you dont read him in The Guardian, you will see him on TV as a constant Discussant on the TV series called Patito's Gang hosted by Prof Pat Utomi but with this stoic silence (Apology to Omoyele Sowore), he is putting alot of progressives in danger and if care is not taken, the mudslinging that is presently brewing will affect all and sundry.

Abati told us all that he was notified of the scammed emails by his Friends and we even have Nigerians on this board who noted that they received the scammed emails. Now this is my grave concern, if truly these Nigerians on this board did receive the email, why cant they email Dr Reuben Abati and tell him about the allegation(This is an exercise borne out of human love). No?

Let me finish this post with the motto of The Guardian, Rutam House Isolo, Lagos where Dr Reuben Abati is the Chairman, Editorial Board \"CONSCIENCE IS AN OPEN WOUND, ONLY THE TRUTH CAN HEAL IT\"

Good evening Egbon
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Tanibaba posted on 01-12-2009, 10:22:24 AM
forgive my saying so ,

but this is really ignorant ,

@Nero Africanus

You see English language is beautiful and it is unfortunate that some people dont understand it but they will swear with anything that they understand the language.

For your information I am not ignorant. I am aware of the link as graciously provided by Salstep and with Wale's reference in his article.

The point is that even Wale (the author) was not comfortable with the source of information (ie SR). It is therefore unnecessary for me to waste my time on that link. Perhaps this explains why Wale did not evaluate the information or include it in his article.

I am not ignorant. I just dispensed with the need to worry my head over something that may just be a ruse.

taslim
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Kay Soyemi (Esq.) posted on 01-12-2009, 14:38:50 PM
@Nero Africanus

taslim

tanibaba,

That's a lot of condescending cock & bull!

If you are not worrying "your head over something that may just be a ruse" then what in heavens' name are you doing on this tread?

Cooling your head down, I wonder!
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Tonsoyo posted on 01-12-2009, 16:57:28 PM
Your article is the more reason Reuben Abati should ignore you guys and your shenanigans.

You are not questioning Abati's integrity but you think he could be trying to cover up some land allocation in Abuja with something as grave as violation of his privacy?
Wale, I am totally disappointed in you. I do not know Abati and neither have I met him, but I think that line of thought is ridiculous enough.

You wrote this after Uche Nworah who brought this to the village already testified to receiving the scam email, another writer put up a full aricle on it and our own emj acknowledged the crime, it is crying shame that you could insinuate that.

Maybe you just donot understand the gravity of such access with somebody who holds a sensitive post as Abati.

Now, I just do not get what you guys are fuming about, what exactly do you want Abati to address? That he did not get an allocation in Abuja? That it was wrong for him to accept an allocation in Abuja? That he was in control of who and whom the Minister choose to put on the allocation list? That there has never been professional grouping allocation in Abuja?

Waht exactly in that report indicted Abati that he should respond to? How would his response be any different from that of Bayo Onanuga who already answered your query, since he is on the same allocation?

Why don't you guys just go ahead and say whatever you wish or seek his prosecution if you think he has done anything wrong instead of just fishing for trouble hoping that he would accept your bait?

We are a nation of confused people who never got their priorities right. A land allocation by an out going Minister to a group of Journalists without any independent evidence of compromise should be a problem?

You guys need to say what is illegal or morally wrong with that allocation, besides some dumb insinuations or forever shut up.
Re: A Conspiracy Theory- A Damage Control Exercise?
Overdryv posted on 01-12-2009, 18:03:36 PM
One has no reason to begrudge RA's Abuja land acquisition but shouldnt he have exercised common sense to wait till another time? It smacks of poor logic to want to get an Abuja plot at a time when the dust raised by El Rufai Abuja land deals is yet to settle. Personally I find it hard to believe that all the journalists mentioned teamed up to apply for plots at the same time. RA is a private citizen who may want to expand his business empire but why is he not acquiring land in VI or Lekki, his immediate proximity? This is an issue that has to do with motive.

He has no choice than to make a response as doing otherwise would make him lose all creditability. But my instinct tells me no such thing would be coming since he cannot explain for what purpose he wants a plot in Abuja. This time he would readily adopt the tactic of the Nigerian govt in letting scandals fizzle out with time. The only difference is that unlike the faceless govt, RA should be ready to contend with people's anger.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7